Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition — Top 8

Winners bracket
NuckleDu (Guile, R. Mika, Cammy) vs. CYG|Daigo (Guile)
FOX|Tokido (Akuma) vs. Fursan|Verloren (Cammy)

Losers bracket
FOX|Justin Wong (Menat) vs. PG|Infiltration (Menat)
CYG|GamerBee (Cammy, Necalli) vs. AB|StormKubo (Abigail)

9 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

ICE QUEEN REEEEEE!!!! Momochi putting in work. Hitting Mena with that @TWINBLADES_SRK tech.

I just watched that match and I'm pretty sure Momochi didn't win that using just j.HK and VSkill. :tongue:

17 minutes ago, Neclord said:

Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition — Top 8

Winners bracket
NuckleDu (Guile, R. Mika, Cammy) vs. CYG|Daigo (Guile)
FOX|Tokido (Akuma) vs. Fursan|Verloren (Cammy)

Losers bracket
FOX|Justin Wong (Menat) vs. PG|Infiltration (Menat)
CYG|GamerBee (Cammy, Necalli) vs. AB|StormKubo (Abigail)

That is quite a top 8. Tokido v Daigo runback? Can Do clutch it out? Will Kubo vroom everyone? Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

@GetTheTables I'm gonna let you peek at few bars from @TWINBLADES_SRK first single off his new album The UnbeREEEEable Ice Queen

I got that surefire tech to assure my victory

Jump Hardkick, V-Skill, hit dem with the REEEE

Akhos match analysis, I don't need that fam

Jump Hardkick, V-Skill, cause' I don't give a damn

Hail setups and vanity steps don't get the job done

Jump Hardkick, V-Skill, Ima have some fun

Side note: I need help fam :lol:

Edited by Darc_Requiem
7 minutes ago, Bea_Iank said:

I didn't want to become a Sakura main. :(

As a "sum of its parts" thing, 3.5 may be better overall for Gief. With the glaring exception that they buffed Menat for some crazy reason. The input change is great and how it should have been from the start but I don't know why they changed anything else positively for her; she's been doing just fine. I think the biggest upside is that since Abigail got flattened Itabashi may return to his home planet.

The Laura and Mika changes make it even harder for me to pick a character and actually make it stick. 

Laura changes overall don't bother me that much due to how I play right now (still have been working on incorporating VSkill cancels and VT1 mix ups) but I can see how those are both going to be a pain. VT2 changes are interesting - I had that "phenomenon" happen all the goddamn time - but still not sure how useful it'll be. Overall Laura got nerfed in a few ways that suck but aren't crippling and buffed in a couple of ways that are nice but not big.

Mika, on the other hand, got more grab damage (and I love grab damage) and a nerf to where her AA lands you. Which I don't find super surprising seeing as right now if you AA someone they land pretty much perfectly into LP/EX Typhoon range.

CC combo scaling is probably worse for Laura, but neither of them are CC combo machines so it isn't as big a deal for them as it is for other chars.

Overall my irritation at Laura nerfs and continued character confusion are overridden by my joy at seeing Abi, Rashid, and Guile nerfed (though I'm waiting to see how much the changes really affect Guile).

5 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

As a "sum of its parts" thing, 3.5 may be better overall for Gief. With the glaring exception that they buffed Menat for some crazy reason. The input change is great and how it should have been from the start but I don't know why they changed anything else positively for her; she's been doing just fine. I think the biggest upside is that since Abigail got flattened Itabashi may return to his home planet.

Depending on how bad the CC scaling is, things will look even grim for Gief.

CCs were your way to land in big damage that would make your opponent reconsider their life choices.

To "compensate" for that, Gief can now cancel an attack that requires you to jump neutral and has 8 frames of start up... :anguished:

I really have to work hard on Sakura now.

39 minutes ago, Bea_Iank said:

Depending on how bad the CC scaling is, things will look even grim for Gief.

CCs were your way to land in big damage that would make your opponent reconsider their life choices.

To "compensate" for that, Gief can now cancel an attack that requires you to jump neutral and has 8 frames of start up... :anguished:

I really have to work hard on Sakura now.

My gut guess is that they'll do what they did with VT cancels and just make CCs count at 2 hits for scaling. So combos will do 10% or so less. I think in Gief's case this isn't a big deal since his CC combos tend to be a couple of big hits. But we'll see for sure tomorrow.

Also wouldn't hurt if Capcom was a little more clear with what they mean by that bullet point but it is still Capcom so I guess we should be happy they told us at all.

9 minutes ago, mykka said:

Cammy got buffed again haha!

If there has been one truth to SFV it is that if you never want to be disappointed in the patch notes, play Cammy.

4 minutes ago, mykka said:

Karin on the other hand is going the opposite way. Some unecessary nerfs imo

Yeah I'm not super familiar with Karin so I don't really understand the changes well but its felt like Capcom has been trying to shift her playstyle since the start of S3 and this is another round of that.

Or they're just trying to make sure that Punk never rises again. :tongue:

9 minutes ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

Kolin got some nerfs but most people would call those “normalization’s”. She’s not ruined or anything but I would have taken a 3 bar VT over her Vanity eating more gauge. 

Yeah I was surprised to see them take the route of faster burn instead of bumping up the bars. But they also don't seem to like to bump the bars on VTs up and even then they usually do extra fiddling with it (like what they did with Laura VT1) so maybe they just didn't want to fuss with it.

Fun part about Kolin patch notes for me is that I don't know what any of her million moves are named so my eyes always start to glaze over when I try to re-read them.

3 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah I was surprised to see them take the route of faster burn instead of bumping up the bars. But they also don't seem to like to bump the bars on VTs up and even then they usually do extra fiddling with it (like what they did with Laura VT1) so maybe they just didn't want to fuss with it.

Fun part about Kolin patch notes for me is that I don't know what any of her million moves are named so my eyes always start to glaze over when I try to re-read them.

Don't feel bad man, I have to look them up half the time.

Laura seems slightly buffed. Might try out her VT2 now (haven't messed around with it at all).

Mika about the same I guess, but more dmg on command throw is not really something she needs imo.

Biggest buff for these two are probably the Abigail and Rashid nerfs.

And I think I might drop Chun and Juri as side bae's and pick up Menat as third character. Because her QoL changes is exactly the stuff I need to not fuck up her v-trigger combo on P2 side. This should really help me out and I could use a heavy zoner to complement my two grappling ladies.

2 hours ago, Neclord said:

Laura seems slightly buffed. Might try out her VT2 now (haven't messed around with it at all).

Mika about the same I guess, but more dmg on command throw is not really something she needs imo.

Biggest buff for these two are probably the Abigail and Rashid nerfs.

And I think I might drop Chun and Juri as side bae's and pick up Menat as third character. Because her QoL changes is exactly the stuff I need to not fuck up her v-trigger combo on P2 side. This should really help me out and I could use a heavy zoner to complement my two grappling ladies.

Laura VT2 is fun. I've broken it out now and again and I've always thought it had some applicability in certain match ups just because it gives her something resembling a reversal option. 

My biggest gripe with VT2 with her is how slow everything on it ends up being. Dodging anything that doesn't have a lot of lead up (slow attacks, jump ins) is tricky and its hard to react dodge fireballs. It may be better with the dodge not actually taking VT timer, and maybe its just something I'd need to practice more. I do like it for being a 2 bar if nothing else. 

The real question at this point is that if there will be any Laura players left to discover tech. :wink: I've seen a lot of life rafts departing the Laura discord.

Mika's bad 7-3 match ups didn't get the 7 character buffed like Gief's ones did. Menat is now a solid 8-2 mu for Gief.

And all Gief got was half stun damage on his air headbutt for a cancel that will be as situational as his tundra storm.

He and I have been through some serious stuff and I love playing as him, but the struggle will be too much on S3.5.

37 minutes ago, mykka said:

I still enjoy Mika even if she aint half as strong as season 1. I just like her playstyle enough to keep her around 

The fucked up part is that even if she isn't half as good as S1 Mika she's still probably in the best place she's been since then.

Of all the grapplers she is either arguably the best or second best depending on if you lump Abigail in that category (I personally don't but I know that plenty do). I would have said that her and Laura are neck and neck up until 3.5 and they may still be, but you could also make the case that she edges her out in just enough areas now to be the queen of the ring.

That is one of the main reasons I keep debating who I'm really going to focus on. It's not really a power concern - if I was concerned about that I'd have switched to Menat full time - it's that when I started I really wanted to play Mika but that was mostly at the start of S2, when things were the most bleak for her.

I ended up going with Laura because she was close in style and overall better so I figured I couldn't blame the character for me scrubbing it up. But now after playing her as much as I have I really like her too. And I feel sort of like a lame ass switching off of her just when others are because she "sucks" now (although I'm assuming all of them are jumping ship to other power chars).

I continue to have the dumbest character crisis. 

18 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Laura VT2 is fun. I've broken it out now and again and I've always thought it had some applicability in certain match ups just because it gives her something resembling a reversal option. 

My biggest gripe with VT2 with her is how slow everything on it ends up being. Dodging anything that doesn't have a lot of lead up (slow attacks, jump ins) is tricky and its hard to react dodge fireballs. It may be better with the dodge not actually taking VT timer, and maybe its just something I'd need to practice more. I do like it for being a 2 bar if nothing else. 

The real question at this point is that if there will be any Laura players left to discover tech. :wink: I've seen a lot of life rafts departing the Laura discord.

Yea it definitely looks like fun. Unfortunately most pro Laura players think VT2 is useless. But we'll see what people can do with it after the patch. ;)

I read that 801 Strider will probably drop Laura for Kolin. I don't and I can't judge him as someone, who played less than 1000 matches and never went to tournaments. Fuudo might drop Mika as well.

For me the changes don't really matter. I played Laura in S1, where she was considered a bottom 3 character and still had fun with her. Because using a "better" character won't change anything, if you still have major flaws in your gameplay imo.

The only thing which could be problematic right now are the Cammy buffs imo. Not from a player perspective (because as I said, I lack experience to judge about their balance decisions), but as a viewer it could get pretty boring if you buff a character who had the most representation in top 64 of the last few tournaments.

I don't see it as problematic with Menat. QoL changes are nice and could mean more people pick her up now but she is still hard to learn and Du's impressive pocket Cammy showed that her amazing walkspeed counters Menat very well.

Also the Pro Tour already started. Most pro players probably want to have someone as a pocket character who is quite easy to learn so I could see a lot of them having a pocket Cammy for some matchups.  Menat requires more time to be tournament ready.

16 minutes ago, Neclord said:

Yea it definitely looks like fun. Unfortunately most pro Laura players think VT2 is useless. But we'll see what people can do with it after the patch. ;)

I read that 801 Strider will probably drop Laura for Kolin. I don't and I can't judge him as someone, who played less than 1000 matches and never went to tournaments. Fuudo might drop Mika as well.

For me the changes don't really matter. I played Laura in S1, where she was considered a bottom 3 character and still had fun with her. Because using a "better" character won't change anything, if you still have major flaws in your gameplay imo.

The only thing which could be problematic right now are the Cammy buffs imo. Not from a player perspective (because as I said, I lack experience to judge about their balance decisions), but as a viewer it could get pretty boring if you buff a character who had the most representation in top 64 of the last few tournaments.

I don't see it as problematic with Menat. QoL changes are nice and could mean more people pick her up now but she is still hard to learn and Du's impressive pocket Cammy showed that her amazing walkspeed counters Menat very well.

Also the Pro Tour already started. Most pro players probably want to have someone as a pocket character who is quite easy to learn so I could see a lot of them having a pocket Cammy for some matchups.  Menat requires more time to be tournament ready.

Yeah I read the same thing about 801 Strider. I'm not sure how much I buy that specific change but I can see him definitely jumping ship. Same with Fuudo. I said it in SRK1, but it just doesn't make sense to try to play through the really irritating match ups in this game at a competitive level when you can just pick another character. Like you and I probably hate the Guile MU with Laura/Mika. How much more fun is that when you're fighting NuckleDu or Daigo's Guile? Looks goddamn miserable.

The question then becomes do you play a pocket char for those MUs. And if that number of MUs gets too big, or if the pocket char ends up having a better MU spread overall, why not just make the pocket your main? Aside from just really liking a given character, which does count for something, why do that to yourself when you're trying to do well so you can get paid and stay sponsored?

I agree that we are way more likely to see a rise in Cammy compared to Menat. Cammy has much better aggressive and defensive tools while still being able to control space really well with her normals. Not as well as Menat, but she also isn't as vulnerable to jump ins while poking and she has way better defensive options available to her. And Cammy is going to be way easier to pick up and maintain as a side character than Menat.