Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

The next one or two years will be quite good for fighting games.

- New KOF

- New Guilty Gear

- Hopefully new Street Fighter

- Most likely  Injustice 3

- the League of Legends fighting game hopefully

Unsure where the DoA and Soulcalibur series are when it comes to new title but it seems like a good time to be into fighting games regardless. I hope at least half of those turn out to be good games.

15 minutes ago, Skort said:

DoA and Soulcalibur

DoA6 just dropped last year, and it took 7 years for both 5 and 6, so it's gonna be a minute. Kinda the same boat for SC, since SC6 dropped in 4th quarter 2018. 

I wouldn't expect to hear anything until 2022 at the earliest, especially considering neither of those franchises are pulling the in the cash like other IPs owned by those companies. 

Would be dope if Capcom revives an old franchise. Also, what's French Bread up to lately? They might be cooking up something new once UNI starts to dry up

9 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Didn't support for DoA6 end a while ago?

I just checked, and yeah, I guess they stopped updating it in April. The game only had 13 months of support.

With that in consideration, I think that might be pretty damning for the chances of DoA7 being made any time soon. 

2 hours ago, Skort said:

The next one or two years will be quite good for fighting games.

- New KOF

- New Guilty Gear

- Hopefully new Street Fighter

- Most likely  Injustice 3

- the League of Legends fighting game hopefully

Unsure where the DoA and Soulcalibur series are when it comes to new title but it seems like a good time to be into fighting games regardless. I hope at least half of those turn out to be good games.

Just read this. All of these fighting games and the Virtua Fighter series is stuck in Yakuza hell. We still don’t have anything on that Virtua Fighter x Esports thing.

13 hours ago, misterBee said:

SFV is the first SF game that even has some semblance of a plot beyond 'DARK HADOU IS DARK!  BISON IS A BAD GUY!', and it's barely there.  Ryu has been struggling with the dark hadou since 1999.

They had move forward and they should be, but fans still want SNH. I dislike and it's terrible to keep it that way

In UMVC3 even thou it was not a canon shows Ryu had moved away from SNH

However it's terrible again seeing SNH struggle return to new games like MVCi and Tekken. It just shows capcom still want to milk fans about those things

Bison was meant to stay as the bad guy but he should be now not the main antagonist,

12 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Ryu moved passed SnH in 1997.

Hopefully it will this time

13 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The irony is the new characters people bitch about now will be highly requested in few years.

This.  Because mostly some fans are motivated by curiosity not them being a fan of that character. They would request them but not even play them.

Speaking of the Satsui no Hadou, didn't that concept actually originate from an manga adaptation of Street Fighter Alpha a very long time ago. 

It is very hard to gauge and it may rather obscure, but I distinctly remember that the Satsui no Hadou was actually shown in an off hand manga. 

Soon after, the staff members behind the Street Fighter Alpha team at Capcom chose to adapt this material into the narrative to explain exactly *how* Ryu was able to defeat Sagat. 

But, even *this* is misleading. Because, there are common source materials that state that Ryu outright taps into the Satsui no Hadou to scar Sagat's chest while the God of Muay Thai was trying to help him up. 

There some specific materials that state that Ryu just simply took advantage of a "wounded gazelle" gambit. When Sagat was going to knock him out, Ryu administrates just a "true" form of Shoryuken as it was meant to be (known as the Metsu Shoryuken, in which SFIV seems to reference somewhat subtly). Taking Sagat by surprise, Ryu scars Sagat's chest and his ego, thus earning the reputation of *the* Street Fighter, a tournament champion and whatever prize money he would gain. As if to say, Ryu didn't even tap into the Satsui no Hadou. The Satsui no Hadou became a big issue from his state of mind (which is almost exactly what it is) when he gave Sagat that scar. Though, there are still some materials that might contradict this very statement. 

... But, this is a topic I should probably speak about in the story thread. 

There are a lot of odd interpretations and translations going on with the Street Fighter series, even now. It is somewhat difficult to identify what really took place between some characters. Some are ridiculous obvious while some is just ridiculous or worded in a very nebulous fashion. 

The casual fanbase aren't really that helpful either in this regard. 

I could be wrong about every little point I made here though. 

Also, here: 

Edited by GreatDarkHero
36 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

But, even *this* is misleading. Because, there are common source materials that state that Ryu outright taps into the Satsui no Hadou to scar Sagat's chest while the God of Muay Thai was trying to help him up.

That evolves also and change while still having various interpretation lol. Even the SFV AE had it different

I just wished it is enough with Ryu still struggling with SNH. Same thing that Akuma is trying hard to validate himself to Ryu and Bison being into also with Ryu. LOL

Everytime a media like comics, crossover game, mobile game and etc make their present adult Ryu still with SNH.

It's like they are making him relate to teen and meh.

because Ryu isn't supposed to be relate with. It's like Ryu is being handled like Peter Parker in various media starting at the year 2k thats why they constantly rebooting his character to a teen and an adult. Even messing up with his marriage.

Ryu as a video character is more of a distant character not to be relate with but rather to idealized like Alex and Sakura is into Ryu.   .

Ryu was to motivate and inspired players to compete and engage with other players.

Edited by Shakunetsu

When Ryu scarred Sagats chest, SnH wasn't even a thing. It didn't come to pass until Capcom tapped into the popular Sheng Long April Fool's joke with Akuma's addition to Super Turbo.

Edit: @HawkingbirdThat list can't be right. No one likes SFV and it certainly wouldn't have 13 times the players of the God's gift to fighting games that is SFIV :coffee:

Edited by Darc_Requiem
3 hours ago, KingTubb said:

I just checked, and yeah, I guess they stopped updating it in April. The game only had 13 months of support.

With that in consideration, I think that might be pretty damning for the chances of DoA7 being made any time soon. 

I think that DoA is popular enough to be able to mae a comeback.

Perhaps it isnt popular among the FGC head in usa, but the series sells very well, and it brings the money with the costumes and all of that.

The reason why this entry had problems was that besides not being different enough for a casual eye (most of the differences were on engine, some mechanics and new 3d models that while better if you look at the meshes and textures, they were not different enought from DOA4 to 5 or example), the game commited the cardinal sin of basically selling as DLC characters that were already DLC or main cast chars on the previous entry.

Of all the chars they sold, the only one 2 are new, Kula and Tamaki.

The rest were old chars being sold as DLC again.

Then you have that the game was hit hard with some controversies (and i am not talking about the core values shit)

Many outlets and youtubers were calling them out on their "greedy" practices.

Some founded, like how they were charging mtx for changing the hair color of the chars.

And other totally moronic imo.

Like, they selling cosmetics for the game.

It is an idiotic thing in the video game ecosphere, where for some reason is expected that post launch content too be free for some reason.

You dont see anyone compaining because the bike or car they bought has accesories to personalize it being sold, or calling the dealers greedy bastards for doing so.

But for some reason they expect devs to not do the same.

Is even more idiotic when you consider that they are not selling you lootboxes to get them, but 2 options, either buy them separatedly, by char, or by themed pack.

I think that we will see DOA making a comeback, but maybe it will take a time.

They tried to pull the same shit they do with DOAXVV, and see if they could push for more mtx and failed.

But it still brings money, both DOA5 and DOA6 with their costumes, and is very popular outside the fgc, with the chars (the gals mostly) being more recognizable than most of the popular series.

They are probably reevaluating what they can and cant do.

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

That comment was mocking all the frauds that say how much they love SFIV but clearly don't play it. You are on my Steam friends list. I know you actually play the game. 

You kow.

Is an interesting phenomenom that i see happen all the time, not only with SF, but with most fgs.

You can really love an older game more than a newer one.

But there is this phychological factor that makes it harder to go back to the old games when most of the people you like to play with are on the newer games.

What usually happens is that you reclutantly play the new game, or you just quit altoguether.

Is specially true if what you enjoy the most is the competition factor of those games.

And is mostly common with oldheads that dont like to play online much when compared to play in gatherings, specially with older games having terrible netcodes (which are truly bad, not like what tards like to call games with good but not great netcodes of more modern games).

I have friends that simply stopoed playing fgs since most people moved on to series or newer games that they didnt enjoy much or at all.

It usually requires the game being actually being loather by most of the scene for you to see people jumping back to old games, like what happened to mvci, making people jump back to mvc3 for example.

For example, in my community most people hated sfv so much that simply dropped the game, and jumped into oither games like MK, Tekken, Doa and DBFZ, even if many of those people were not really into those kind of games when they had sfiv as an option, or dropped playing the games altoguether and jumped into other games like fps and battle royales for example

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Triple post.

@PsychoblueDid you got translated the Darkstalkers manga?

You never contacted me again about it, and i am not sure if you contacted my friends that could work on translating it

I didn't, and the guy never got back to me via e-mail.  He just said he was moving but that was the last I heard of it.  

Are you guys clear for it this time?  I actually have HQ scans of them now so it'll be even better.  

1 minute ago, Psychoblue said:

I didn't, and the guy never got back to me via e-mail.  He just said he was moving but that was the last I heard of it.  

Are you guys clear for it this time?  I actually have HQ scans of them now so it'll be even better.  

Let me contact Erick.

He moved to japan for his studies, and has been on and off since then, due his academic load.

And with this covid stuff i have lost track on him those last few months

And if he cant do it i can try with my friend on EH-Cove.

They do mostly translations for hentai, but probably could make an exception, or know someone who could be interested.

@HecatomI don't disagree with what you are saying. Although I think if the player truly loved the game as much as they claim. They'd play the older game. If you don't support the older game, you are contributing to it fading away. The phenomenon you reference seems to far more prevalent in the current market. But that's getting into whole other subject entirely.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
26 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

You kow.

Is an interesting phenomenom that i see happen all the time, not only with SF, but with most fgs.

You can really love an older game more than a newer one.

But there is this phychological factor that makes it harder to go back to the old games when most of the people you like to play with are on the newer games.

What usually happens is that you reclutantly play the new game, or you just quit altoguether.

Is specially true if what you enjoy the most is the competition factor of those games.

And is mostly common with oldheads that dont like to play online much when compared to play in gatherings, specially with older games having terrible netcodes (which are truly bad, not like what tards like to call games with good but not great netcodes of more modern games).

I have friends that simply stopoed playing fgs since most people moved on to series or newer games that they didnt enjoy much or at all.

It usually requires the game being actually being loather by most of the scene for you to see people jumping back to old games, like what happened to mvci, making people jump back to mvc3 for example.

For example, in my community most people hated sfv so much that simply dropped the game, and jumped into oither games like MK, Tekken, Doa and DBFZ, even if many of those people were not really into those kind of games when they had sfiv as an option, or dropped playing the games altoguether and jumped into other games like fps and battle royales for example

There are many many people that liked SF4 more than SF5 but continue to play 5 because that's where the competition is at.  If they disliked 5 enough, like you said, those people probably either quit or moved on to other games.  But there are a lot of players like myself that preferred 4 and still play 5 actively.     

@HecatomI don't disagree agree with what you are saying. Although I think if the player truly loved the game as much as they claim. They'd play the older game. If you don't support the older game, you are contributing to it fading away. The phenomenon you reference seems to far more prevalent in the current market. But that's getting into whole other subject entirely.

The problem is like i said, if what you enjoy the most is the competitive factor.

With games like FGs you cant really play them by yourself.

Then add that nowdays more than ever you have many games from multiple genres competing for your attention.

You can maybe love a fg and consider it your favorite of all time, and think that no other game compare to it.

But if your options for playing it are limmited or you dont really like the whole only online experience of playing fgs, then is very likely you wouldnt play it for much time if at all.

Specially if is exacerbated by online only problems be for the netcode or infrastructure.

There isnt much enjoyment to have playing your fav fg when the online experience is very different from the local experience.

And for how much people could love SFIV for example, its online experience was consistently trash, most people put with it because it was the best many experienced at the time.

But now that the population is lower, and people have tried better netcodes (even if they arent the best ones) not many people will be willing to jump back to wait for many minutes on the matchmaking to get a subpar fight.

Lets not forget that many people (even here) deride the idea of actually seeking actively to get matches via discord for example instead of just wating on a queue.

@HecatomI know I'm the outlier. I just don't understand playing something you don't like period. Life's too short for that. And in this day in age, there are far too many games to be playing something you hate from my perspective. Again, I know my view on this is atypical. I like you guys a lot, I'll play you guys in any game.....unless I don't like it.

10 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

There are many many people that liked SF4 more than SF5 but continue to play 5 because that's where the competition is at.  If they disliked 5 enough, like you said, those people probably either quit or moved on to other games.  But there are a lot of players like myself that preferred 4 and still play 5 actively.     

Exactly.

Some people are more willing to put with playing a game they dont like than actually playing a game they love more if it meant that they will have a bigger player pool.

Back on the SFIV days we saw it with a lot of people who loathed SFIV and would have prefered play other games like 3s, kof, gg, etc.

But since most of the competition was on SFIV, they stayed there, even if they hated it and got tilted all the time.

I remember how people on srk constantly talked about always being mad after a match even if they have won simply because they got tilted while playing the game.

There are multiple psychological effects on play, like when it becomes a costume/habit to keep playing the game, like if it were some kind of work.

The sociological factor that is what your friends and aquantices play, etc.

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

@HecatomI know I'm the outlier. I just don't understand playing something you don't like period. Life's too short for that. And in this day in age, there are far too many games to be playing something you hate from my perspective. Again, I know my view on this is atypical. I like you guys a lot, I'll play you guys in any game.....unless I don't like it.

You are not alone in that.

I also prefer to play what i like, instead of playing something i dislike just because is where the people at.

It is why after SSFIV i dropped the series since i didnt enjoy it anymore

But sadly, many people dont think like that.

And sadly, not every game you like has enough people playing it for you to play it regularly, or have a good netcode for you to play it, or at least tolerate it.

For example, one of my fav games of all time is Battle Fantasia.

But besides having a small community behind it in part of releasing only on the 360 for a year, and releasing on ps3 after sf4, the game actually inspired to be made, it had a really awful netcode.

Like real bad, not what people like to call bad now.

That contribuited to be killed even more quickly.

Believe me.

If it were for me, i would be playing it right now, since is my fav sf like game, imo it did what sf3 and sfv wanted to do with their mechanics way better, but i dont really have the means to play it with people consistently outside some few instances in my local scene (which with this year has been zero times, lol)

Gouki: "... So I guess that's how it's done?" 

Elena: "Ah, of course! Let's get some of that ramen later." 

Gouki: "... Sure." 

But, seriously. Elena must be *really* chill if she took a selfie with GOUKI (aka, a literal demon of human origin through pure martial arts training that made a career out of killing other people like him) of all people. And, she even made him hold the phone camera for it! 

I have always thought that Elena befriending Akuma makes sense, since they share a lot in common actually.

They are both people who are commited to the path of the warrior.

With Akuma using it as a means to hone his skills and meet stong opponents to achieve that goal and Elena to use it as a means to connect with people.

Plus, one common misconception about Akuma is that he is evil.

He is more like someone with an alien moral code different from others.

He actually respects those who commit to their ideals, and those who commit as warriors, even if they are weaker than him.

Sure, he doesnt like to fight weak people, but at the same time doesnt go killing them for being fools trying to fight him.

For example, i liked how Udo characterized him, at least at the beginning of their sf2/alpha run where heshowed respect to Sakura who threw herself in a duel ready to lose her life without hesitation.

It would make sense that he will respect Elena who is commited at the same path as him, even if the goals differ.

Besides, canonically he has only killed 4 people, and 1 was reconned (Gouken) and the other ressurected afterwards (Bison), leaving only Gen, which was more like a mercy kill to fullfil his wish of dying as a warrior and not due illness and Gouketsu who saw it as an honorable way to die.

Edit

Plus, is Elena 👀 💦

b173949d6bac25ecda775ba50f12df73.jpg

If Akuma uses the internet he probably follows r/fitgirls

Edited by Hecatom

@HecatomYeah Akuma being evil is huge misconception. He has a strict moral code. He only kills warriors he views a equals in honorable combat. That's the only major difference between he and Gouken really. Gouken believes, and he passed this along to Ryu, that you get stronger through rivalries. If you defeat your foe, they learn from it, improve, and provide a better challenge in subsequent battles. Gouken surviving is major reason for Akuma's improvement. Gouken survived by developing a defense to Akuma's ultimate technique. Subsequently Akuma has developed multiple techniques that are not easily negated by Mu no Hado.

Side Note: Evil (Satsui No Hado) Ryu is actually evil. He lacks the moral code of Akuma and has no problem killing worthy foe or not.

3 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Which makes sense when you consider that Evil Ryu is someone that gets consumed by the Satsui no Hado, while Akuma is someone that masters it.

Yeah which is why, besides being another what if character, that I hate Oni. He's billed as a "more powerful" Akuma. He's not. He's just the Akuma version of Evil Ryu. It's Akuma consumed by the Satsui No Hado. Taking Akuma's will power away from him utterly destroys what is great about his character. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem

@Hecatomand @Darc_Requiemdropping knowledge bombs everyone. Those caught in the bomb radius are given more Street Fighter intelligence of ultimate quality. 

Gouki's portrayal is a constant subject of misinterpretation. 

Then there is also issue of his Shun Goku Satsu (aka Raging Demon). Many people, specifically in the West (and a few idiotic fanbases), believe that Gouki literally drags people into hell so that demons can administrate their chow time onto the victim (even Udon got this wrong). 

What Gouki is actually doing basically amounts to the Thousand Crack Fist, no different from what you would normally expect out of Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star). 

The only real difference is that he has to grab you first to administrate the painful strikes. Although, it is somewhat nebulous at first due to the animation in older games, SFA3 starts to joust the former theory because of Gouki and E. Ryu's introduction as well as Gouki and Gen's introduction. 

SFV basically put the final nail in the coffin on "demon realm" nonsense. Gouki is basically charging his strikes with negative ki while trapping the victim in a vortex full of violent blows to the individuals pressure points. The thing, Gouki has a tendency of performing the technique out of the blue when the enemy isn't really *looking* for it. 

Gill for example literally got his shit pushed in by Gouki. The *only* reason why he is around now is because of his Resurrection trick. 

... And, fuck Kuroshiki Oni. He's just a dumbass nigga who is essentially a shadow of what Gouki is. Even actual Gouki himself told this shitty ass Mugen character to fuck right off. 

Edited by GreatDarkHero

Yeah which is, beside being another what if character, that I hate Oni. He's billed as a "more powerful" Akuma. He's not. He's just the Akuma's version of Evil Ryu. It's Akuma consumed by the Satsui No Hado. Taking Akuma's will power away from utterly destroys what is great about his character. 

I blame it to the fact that many, even capcom at times billed it as a new version of Shin Akuma in a way or as its counterpart.

Like in Asura's Wrath where Akuma turns into Oni to fight Asura (which makes only sense in the context that Oni is an Asura version of Akuma, making it a symbolic thing)

Hell, many people dont know that the Shin Akuma of SF alpha is a different thing to Shin Akuma from the CvS series, in alpha, is Akuma fighting with his all, no more.

And in CvS is an Akuma that absorbed Rugal's power, making him go hiwire in a way.

God Rugal had the "ten" sign on his... chest. But, the player will only identifies this when he... tears his own shirt and injures himself.

Alternatively, he also utilizes the Shun Goku Satsu as well. 

Insult to injury, God Rugal has a really bad habit of messing with powers that either far too instable or are just plain not even in his control to begin with. In context, Rugal already had the ability to outright copy the abilities of others (which was only implied, due to the limitations of the engine of KOF94/95. It was more or less the same as what Seth from SFIV was capable of). Then you have to factor that Rugal already sample of Orochi blood in his body from where Geonitz poked his eye out. Orochi Blood? In context of the KOF universe? Shit was already dangerous to begin with. 

And, then in CVS2 (depending on what course of action the player takes in the Arcade mode), Rugal jacks Gouki's abilities through an absorption process and becomes an equivalent (or arguably an even worst) interpretation of "Omega Rugal." Then he takes multiple cues from his Omega move set, powers, and a many of Gouki's signature moves. 

Then he gets blown up for it. Again. 

Just now, GreatDarkHero said:

God Rugal had the "ten" sign on his... chest. But, the player will only identifies this when he... tears his own shirt and injures himself.

Alternatively, he also utilizes the Shun Goku Satsu as well. 

Insult to injury, God Rugal has a really bad habit of messing with powers that either far too instable or are just plain not even in his control to begin with. In context, Rugal already had the ability to outright copy the abilities of others (which was only implied, due to the limitations of the engine of KOF94/95. It was more or less the same as what Seth from SFIV was capable of). Then you have to factor that Rugal already sample of Orochi blood in his body from where Geonitz poked his eye out. Orochi Blood? In context of the KOF universe? Shit was already dangerous to begin with. 

And, then in CVS2 (depending on what course of action the player takes in the Arcade mode), Rugal jacks Gouki's abilities through an absorption process and becomes an equivalent (or arguably an even worst) interpretation of "Omega Rugal." Then he takes multiple cues from his Omega move set, powers, and a many of Gouki's signature moves. 

Then he gets blown up for it. Again. 

With how he's become so cyborg in recent years I'd like for Rugal to come back to the main KOF storyline under the notion that his new cyborg parts not only allowed his resurrection but better absorb his Orochi powers in ways his original flesh could not.  

4 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

With how he's become so cyborg in recent years I'd like for Rugal to come back to the main KOF storyline under the notion that his new cyborg parts not only allowed his resurrection but better absorb his Orochi powers in ways his original flesh could not.  

Dunno if that exact scenario will happen, but is likely we will see him again now that everyone got ressurected after they defeated the kof14 boss.