Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

1 hour ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Well, they made Dissidia.

/s

Shush your mouth Dissidia is good!  Not their fault NA people don't appreciate arena fighters.  Bandai Namco even game the game a proper port from arcade and neckbeards were mad it wasn't the shitty PSP games being remade.  😡

2 hours ago, Flighflighflugit said:

Looking at that trailer, it looks like they are special cancelling specials. Maybe this is their kof inspired game lol 

If this is KOF-inspired then you're all already dead.

Unless you're Mexican. 🙇‍♂️

32 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Shush your mouth Dissidia is good!  Not their fault NA people don't appreciate arena fighters.  Bandai Namco even game the game a proper port from arcade and neckbeards were mad it wasn't the shitty PSP games being remade.  😡

If this is KOF-inspired then you're all already dead.

Unless you're Mexican. 🙇‍♂️

I think the major problem for the game is not that is not good, but that it made some pivotal mistakes that chased fans away to it. 

Y

Like not having a single player mode or a real story mode. 

You need to olay online for you to unlock the cinematics, and many of the fanbase are about that. 

Then add that unlike the older games this one needs you to be teamed with other 2 people making the experience more uneven for the casual side. 

Then add the netcode being a hit or miss. 

I remember having for a time a huge isp problem that lead to me being unable to play online with my friends, failing to matchmake and putting us against bots all tje time because my internet connection. 

2 hours ago, Dayaan said:

I found that a lot of people like me who missed or ignored SF4, but played FGs during that time seem to "remember" that time fondly, with no base or experience. It's a funny phenomenon. Do you guys think the same will happen for SFV?

I am not sire if i understood your question correctly. 

Do you mean, remember fondly at the time period where sf4 was the current sf game, playing other fgs but not sf4? 

6 hours ago, Dayaan said:

I found that a lot of people like me who missed or ignored SF4, but played FGs during that time seem to "remember" that time fondly, with no base or experience. It's a funny phenomenon. Do you guys think the same will happen for SFV?

Well no real surprise, a lot of good games came out during SFIV lifecycle.

And communitys tended to grow a lot during that time too.

That was before the whole "we want to be eSports do!" time too.

Chun-Li still moves at an anime game pace, dear lord.  st.mp is so goshdarn active and st.lk as an anti-air is wild.  

I'm going to take Ultradavid up on his commentary lessons.  I still have difficulty building chemistry with partners, don't know when to chime in and when to back off.  Solo commentary has been getting props on Arturo's channel though so I'll leave that alone.  I'll let you guys know how it is once it goes down.  

I have more SFxT action for you guys, GF should be up soon.

15 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I think the major problem for the game is not that is not good, but that it made some pivotal mistakes that chased fans away to it. 

Y

Like not having a single player mode or a real story mode. 

You need to olay online for you to unlock the cinematics, and many of the fanbase are about that. 

Then add that unlike the older games this one needs you to be teamed with other 2 people making the experience more uneven for the casual side. 

Then add the netcode being a hit or miss. 

I remember having for a time a huge isp problem that lead to me being unable to play online with my friends, failing to matchmake and putting us against bots all tje time because my internet connection. 

The biggest problem isn't Dissidia NT -- it's that western FF fans have no idea what it is.

Dissidia NT is an arcade game meant to compete with Gundam vs Gundam, which is THE team-based arcade arena fighter.  Unlike the PSP games, it's a proper competitive game built and made for arcades.  It did very well in Japan and had lots of players every time I went to an arcade.

The console version is simply the port of a popular competitive arcade game.  It was never supposed to be anything like the PSP games, but people just assumed it would be -- because they had no exposure to the arcade version they just assumed it would be like the PSP games from years before.

Instead of being happy that the west got a port of a game they would normally never be able to play, they instead complained that it was something it was never meant to be.

It's like finally getting to play SF2 years after it was released and then wondering why it wasn't a RPG.  Hate for Dissidia is based on false assumptions about what kind of game it is.

If people don't like team-based arena fighters that's fine -- but it's ridiculous to hate on it because it's not the PSP games, because it was never supposed to be like those.  People who bought NT expecting anything less than an arcade port simply didn't do any research.

4 hours ago, misterBee said:

Snip

Nah.

You cant blame the fans for having an expectation attached to the name.

That is idiotic.

Like i said, the quality of the game is not really the problem, because i am sure it would have got better received if the game added some of the expected stuff from Dissidia games.

Like i said, no real story mode or single player modes; A nescecity of having to always play it in teams and a inconsistent netcode hurted the game more in the long run than the game not being like old Dissidias.

Edited by Hecatom
2 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Yes.

Well, yeah.

A lot of people like to play fgs that are not made by capcom, so is very likely that you will have people who dont play SFV and will still remember fondly those years due games like DBFZ, BBTAG, KOF, Samsho, Tekken, SC, etc.

I know i will, since while i do play SF games, they are never my main games since i gravitate more towards GG for example.

14 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Nah.

You cant blame the fans for having an expectation attached to the name.

That is idiotic.

Like i said, the quality of the game is not really the problem, because i am sure it would have got better received if the game added some of the expected stuff from Dissidia games.

I would argue the opposite.

"Damn I hate this good game, simply because it's not some OTHER game!"

Ideally games should be based on their merits, not what people wish they were.

Dissidia NT is a good port of a good arcade game.  Nobody should care that it's not some other PSP thing from 10 years ago.

2 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I would argue the opposite.

"Damn I hate this good game, simply because it's not some OTHER game!"

Ideally games should be based on their merits, not what people wish they were.

Dissidia NT is a good port of a good arcade game.  Nobody should care that it's not some other PSP thing from 10 years ago.

Yeah but that is not how anything works.

If capcom suddenly m,ade SF6 a battle royale, it wouldnt matter if the game is the best one ever.

People have expectations attached to the brand.

Or if the next Monster Hunter was suddenly a compettive Arena.

Besides, the old Dissidia games by themselves were niche games already, this new game is trying to appeal to a completely different niche that the Dissidia games appealed to.

I dont doubt that there can be an overlap between the people this game tryes to cater and the old fanbase, but is more likely than not, this is usually the end result when you throw away the things that people liked from your previous products.

You can ignore that all you want, but Dissidia had a lot of issues besides not being a continuation of the PSP formula.

Both technical and in gameplay offering, and in the long run both ended hurting them.

I like the game, but to ignore those shits and just blaming the fans is dumb and childish. 

I have a lot of friends that wanted to give the game an opportunity, but were unable to play it online against other players because the matchmaking give them problems and never wer able to connect against people, only playing witha and against bots.

I also had the same issue for like over a year and only went away when i changed IPS, which was ridiculous because all of us were able to play other games online.

18 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah but that is not how anything works.

If capcom suddenly m,ade SF6 a battle royale, it wouldnt matter if the game is the best one ever.

People have expectations attached to the brand.

Or if the next Monster Hunter was suddenly a compettive Arena.

Besides, the old Dissidia games by themselves were niche games already, this new game is trying to appeal to a completely different niche that the Dissidia games appealed to.

I dont doubt that there can be an overlap between the people this game tryes to cater and the old fanbase, but is more likely than not, this is usually the end result when you throw away the things that people liked from your previous products.

You can ignore that all you want, but Dissidia had a lot of issues besides not being a continuation of the PSP formula.

Both technical and in gameplay offering, and in the long run both ended hurting them.

I like the game, but to ignore those shits and just blaming the fans is dumb and childish. 

I have a lot of friends that wanted to give the game an opportunity, but were unable to play it online against other players because the matchmaking give them problems and never wer able to connect against people, only playing witha and against bots.

I also had the same issue for like over a year and only went away when i changed IPS, which was ridiculous because all of us were able to play other games online.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon took a beat 'em up franchise and turned it into a JRPG that received wide acclaim.  I'm a hardcore Yakuza fan and that abrupt genre shift worked just fine.  Things don't always need to be the same as before.  A Monster Hunter battle royale sounds ridiculous but it could also be the next big thing.

If the original Dissidia was niche already, why spend the money to cater to a small niche again?  They can take the MASSIVE money arena fighters bring in from Asia, and maybe get a few dollars from the west as well.  Much better to focus on a region and game style that will actually make them money than try to make another niche game for everyone worldwide.

If single player Dissidia was a great idea that would make them money, they would have done it.  The handful of crying fans who want the PSP game clearly weren't going to make them enough money to justify it anyway.

Sucks that the NT player base was small, but a small player base isn't a sign that a game is bad, or designed improperly.  Gundam vs Gundam is an amazing game with an English worldwide release, never strayed from its roots, and will never have a big scene in the US either -- and that's not its fault.  It was designed for Asia and does super well in Asia.  Getting it in the west is simply a bonus.

The issue isn't that NT is an arena fighter, or an issue with the game itself -- the issue is that it was released in a market where nobody plays arena fighters anyway.  Square should have saved everyone the trouble and not even released it in the US and western regions -- it was a waste of time.

It simply has to be accepted that some games will ever take off in the west.  It's like trying to be a soccer player in the USA -- it's just a region that will never care about that sort of game.

Being a fan of JP games outside of JP makes you a second class citizen, and you probably always will be.  You are victim to the whims of localization companies and publishers, and many games won't even show up in other regions.  Small user bases and dead communities just come with the territory, regardless of how good the games are or aren't.

1 minute ago, misterBee said:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon took a beat 'em up franchise and turned it into a JRPG that received wide acclaim.  I'm a hardcore Yakuza fan and that abrupt genre shift worked just fine.  Things don't always need to be the same as before.  A Monster Hunter battle royale sounds ridiculous but it could also be the next big thing.

If the original Dissidia was niche already, why spend the money to cater to a small niche again?  They can take the MASSIVE money arena fighters bring in from Asia, and maybe get a few dollars from the west as well.  Much better to focus on a region and game style that will actually make them money than try to make another niche game for everyone worldwide.

Sucks that the NT player base was small, but a small player base isn't a sign that a game is bad, or designed improperly.  Gundam vs Gundam is an amazing game with an English worldwide release, never strayed from its roots, and will never have a big scene in the US either -- and that's not its fault.  It was designed for Asia and does super well in Asia.  Getting it in the west is simply a bonus.

The issue isn't that NT is an arena fighter, or an issue with the game itself -- the issue is that it was released in a market where nobody plays arena fighters anyway.  Square should have saved everyone the trouble and not even released it in the US and western regions -- it was a waste of time.

It simply has to be accepted that some games will ever take off in the west.  It's like trying to be a soccer player in the USA -- it's just a region that will never care about that sort of game.

Yeah, but Yakuza like a Dragon still kept a lot of the elements that made the originals so beloved by the fanbase.

It still kept the tone that the series is known for.

The story is still engaging and while the combat system is different, you still can recognize it as a Yakuza game because all the other elements are still present.

It is also a new story, with a new protagonist, and Sega has been actively promoting the game letting the player base know how the game will change and how the game will retain what they love about it.

Yes, a game being a niche game is not necessarily a sign of the game being bad, completely agree with you on that, and yes sadly some games wouldnt catch up in the west as we would want.

But i still think that Dissidia made a lot of mistakes down the road that hurted it, it is a niche game in a niche genre that is usually dominated by lesser experiences like Jump Force for example, it also made drastic changes to the formula that made it have a fanbase while not providing alternative stuff that they could latch on.

It launched with a netcode that simply made it impossible for a good chunk of players to give it a chance.

And it launched at a time frame that killed any momentum that it could have, iirc it was released between MHW and DBFZ right?

Plus there were also a lot of other big hitters around those months that simply made the game being ignored.

Then we have SE being SE and 1, having unrealistic expectations for the game and 2, not bother promoting it or suppoort it properly outside the necessary.

I do think that Dissidia could had strong legs in the west if marketed properly, since is a niche that is not exploted for competitive gameplay.

But that would require a company that is willing to put the time and money into cultivating the game into it.

And SE is not about that sadly.

On 12/25/2020 at 3:25 PM, Skort said:

3rd strike the weird roster but everybody loved the  parry system

Lol wut? No, just no.

The parry is still to this day one of those mechanics that you will see people shitting on, and saying they hope it nevers come back.

For many it ruined the SF formula.

You had threads on SRK always poping out shitting on it.

Then there is the infamous thread where Viscant explained how the mechanic turned everyone into mini grapplers (oversimplifying his point)

13 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

Y'all beat me to it, but yeah 3S didn't get as much love as people would have you believe.  Maybe it was everybody just parroting what they heard but I remember alot of haters

Yeah, is just that with time people have now other sf games to be dissatisfied with, lol. 

When 3S was the current one, you had players from all the other sf/sf like games shitting on it. 

Hell, even 2i and SF3 players were seen hating on it because it ruined what they liked of previous revisions. 

It didnt help you had 3s fanboys saying hilarious stuff kike 3s being a well or even grat balanced game. 🤣

Edited by Hecatom

Speaking of that. 

I know that is mostly a mentality of its time, but i always found amusing how against the idea of a revision for sf3 the 3s fans were (and most capcom fhs fans for their games). 

Specially after HDR, where they asked an HDR treatment for 3s but said any balance change will ruin the game, lol. 

Meanwhile other communities were open to possible changes for the ports if it meant improving on flaws. 

Just now, Mr.Cipher said:

Wait, there are version other than 3rd Strike?

How good was Chun-Li in the other versions?

You are joking right? 

I know that it was a meme to be surprised that sf4 was the 4th entry because no one knew that the sf3 series existed, but to not know 3s is tje 3rd entry of it? Lol. 

Is in the name. 

SF3

SF3 2nd Impact

SF3 3rd Strike

15 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

No people hated the parry system, didn't play the game

15 hours ago, Hecatom said:

The parry is still to this day one of those mechanics that you will see people shitting on

I see. 

I haven't played 3rd strike as i was in different kind of games then.However whenever i see people talk about it they bring up the parry system and praise it. I assumed it was liked by most people.

45 minutes ago, Skort said:

I see. 

I haven't played 3rd strike as i was in different kind of games then.However whenever i see people talk about it they bring up the parry system and praise it. I assumed it was liked by most people.

I was a teenager when SF3 hit. My local arcade was busy as fuck and it was a half dozen of us with the occasional rando that played SF3. We didn't even get Second Impact. We got New Generation in the Spring of my senior year in high school. We just had New Generation never got Second Impact, though it was upgraded to 3rd Strike later on. Only reason I got to play Second Impact was because when I went off to college that Fall and the local arcade had it. 

@Skort I’m a fairly recent 3S player. I dabbled with it a bit on my dreamcast, but only really got into it in the last few years, and I do really love the game, it’s one of my favourite FGs, but I’m not even a huge fan of the parry system. I do like grounded parries, but whoever OK’d air parries were out of their mind. That said, how damage conversion works, the simplicity/quickness of combos, plus how you can still win rounds with AAs and pokes is a sweetspot I haven't seen in a lot of other games. The game also oozes style and I love it.

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I was a teenager when SF3 hit. My local arcade was busy as fuck and it was a half dozen of us with the occasional rando that played SF3. We didn't even get Second Impact. We got New Generation in the Spring of my senior year in high school. We just had New Generation never got Second Impact, though it was upgraded to 3rd Strike later on. Only reason I got to play Second Impact was because when I went off to college that Fall and the local arcade had it. 

My man. There was a 3S cabinet 

Everybody at my school was either busy playing House of Dead 3, Carnevil, Time Crisis 2... 

Or, some god damn CVS1 and MVC2. That was what was available at the time in Fort Sill, Oklahoma. After every Football game (as in Soccer)  back in 4th grade, we go to that arcade joint.