Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

*Urien logs onto to Megashock* 

maxresdefault.jpg

Urien: "Oh, Megashock. You never cease to amaze me. Celebrating the birth of a impotent rat. What is a Necalli anyway? How many times has he been fucked? Why must thou suck??? Aha!! Let me count thy ways: 1. By Dhalsim. 2. By Bison. 3. By Ryu. Oh, but that's not all. What do he contribute to this mess, aside from creating more contrived and convoluted nonsense in the narrative of this already wasted world. I, your lord and your god Urien, will crush the fool who dares celebrate this maddening shitfest!! COME FORTH... So that I may lay my fists upon you. Even my index finger has more skill and power than each and everyone of you. HAH! KILL! CRUSH!! AEGIS REFLECTOR!! TREMBLE BEFORE MY MIGHT!" 

Edited by GreatDarkHero
*Urien logs off*
37 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Maybe it’s due to MK’s more dudebro audience but I can’t stand the rampant scrubbery in the community. Garbage takes everywhere from people who have obviously never played another FG and don’t even understand the basic fundamental concepts. 

Feels like MK is the go-to fighting game when a Call of Duty player wants to broaden his horizons.

47 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Maybe it’s due to MK’s more dudebro audience but I can’t stand the rampant scrubbery in the community. Garbage takes everywhere from people who have obviously never played another FG and don’t even understand the basic fundamental concepts. 

That's part of the reason I avoided getting MK11 altogether. 

On 1/9/2021 at 10:09 AM, Vhozite said:

Sound is definitely a part of it. I don’t actively listen for it but I’m definitely sharper when I’m listening to game sounds than when it’s on mute or I’m listening to music. 

I was talking with some og players about this topic and they all seemed to agree that sound queues were the best way to confirm in 3s. I think that translates well with to SFV tbh given the fact that each hit strength makes a different sound oH.

Edited by elliephil
3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

“Variations” lol 

You see, the concept is cool. But, there could have been a better of executing such a thing. 

In addition... 

What the hell is wrong with NRS animations? 

Because, some characters look like they are going to have a very intense office conversation about some drama they watched back their house or some stupid ass Hallmark shit. Not fight each other to the death. 

Edited by GreatDarkHero
22 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

You see, the concept is cool. But, there could have been a better of executing such a thing. 

In addition... 

What the hell is wrong with NRS animations? 

Because, some characters look like they are going to have a very intense office conversation about some drama they watched back their house or some stupid ass Hallmark shit. Not fight each other to the death. 

Actually I was poking fun at the Twitter post of Mai right above my post...”variations on paetron” which I’m assuming is the lewd versions lol 

Regarding NRS animations...they clearly know how to make good animations if you look at some stuff. A lot of the stiff stuff seems to be a stylistic choice, though I can’t say I agree with it. When you see it it’s usually the lower body being stuck in concrete while the upper body moves in a more natural way. It’s very easy to see in some of the reeling animations and upper cuts where the lower body doesn’t give at all.

Honesty it is what it is. I’m not bothered by it any more than any other FG. 

Edited by Vhozite
3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Actually I was poking fun at the Twitter post of Mai right above my post...”variations on paetron” which I’m assuming is the lewd versions lol 

Regarding NRS animations...they clearly know how to make good animations if you look at some stuff. A lot of the stiff stuff seems to be a stylistic choice, though I can’t say I agree with it. When you see it it’s usually the lower body being stuck in concrete while the upper body moves in a more natural way. It’s very easy to see in some of the reeling animations and upper cuts where the lower body doesn’t give at all.

Honesty it is what it is. I’m not bothered by it any more than any other FG. 

NRS only knows how to do cinematic animation.

NRS can't animate for shit, the only thing they can animate good is cinematic stuff and gore.

Their characters still fight like drunkards in a bar, instead of people who are supposed to know martial arts.

Movement has no momentum, jumps look like they stand in the air the whole time, there is zero impact in any of their animations making every attack look like they should tickle instead of hurt.

48 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Why a new CA selectable has a chance to be terribly implemented especially if it's near the end of SFV

Ok I want you to be real with me for a second here.

Second CA is the most likely thing to happen:

- It takes the least effort to come up with.

- They can outsource it, like they outsourced 90% of the stuff for SFV

- Casuals will like it

- Jokes on your for thinking the balance team does something other than giving the Top Tier characters the best second CAs in the game.

It will be just another flavour of VT/VS2, most of them will be useless or replace the other option completly.

Also play Melty.

New supers in year 5 of a game is wack. Honestly, introducing a new mechanic at all is wack in the 5th year of a game. 

I give tekken shit for it's booty butt online experience, but they legit put features in the game that don't change the entire game. Quality of life stuff, new characters, arenas, mini-games are cool, but a whole new mechanic is hannibal buress GIF

6 hours ago, KingTubb said:

New supers in year 5 of a game is wack. Honestly, introducing a new mechanic at all is wack in the 5th year of a game. 

If the new mechanic is indeed new CA then it's just some filler content to try and keep the interest in the game high until the new title is released, can't really blame them for that. They created some momentum via the tournaments that they most likely wish to keep going .

SF V is hardly one of my fav SF titles but it's a franchise that i want to remain active and relevant ( steady flow of content and interest ) on the gaming industry,so i kinda do want SFV to be viewed as a success overall from Capcom's point of view in order to justify another title. However that  creates that thin line that can lead into both areas. Does the success of SFV motivates them to make something similar in the future or does it motivate them to try something new and push forward for greater things ?  Tough call. 

If the new mechanic is actually something new and not a new CA i kinda view it as it could be the testing grounds for SF 6 to an extent ( think  Omega SF 4 ) . 

I think the biggest props i can give to Capcom regarding SF V is the fact that they did not abandon it. Not saying they did a good job sustaining it because the decisions behind the content are questionable but at least we didn't run in a case of MvC : Infinite.

PS : having that said i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that the SF 6 dev team has nothing to do with the SFV season 5 team ,as i don't want any content that SF V is getting this year to slow down the development process of the new title.

Edited by Skort

Blazblue Centralfiction comes pretty close to perfect game mechanics to me and that the whole cast but two is viable and can win tournaments is also neat.

+ the Top 2 are hardly unbeatable (even tho Es has no MU worse than 5-5)

You get a lot of freedome to play around with and the execution level has a nice curve to it. Since most characters can start out with something like 5B,5C,Sweep, Special to enable their gameplan.

Throw in Stuff like Rapid Cancles to extend pressure/combos or safe you from something unsafe (or do something hilarious like the Mai rocket)

Plus each character is completly unique and has their own mechanic that makes sure no one even plays close to them.

Melty is also really great, but I don't play it long enough to say how close to perfect it feels. At least the basic Combos are super easy and work on basically everyone.

On another note, if the new Mechanic isn't CA2 but something super stupid like V-Cancel, I'm going to laugh my ass off, since that would be the single most lazy excuse of an idea someone ever came up with in SFV.

1 hour ago, Skort said:

If the new mechanic is indeed new CA then it's just some filler content to try and keep the interest in the game high until the new title is released

There's a 50/50 shot they fuck up one of those supers and it flips the game on it's head. 

I mean, look at 3S, the two best characters in that game are there because of their supers. It could end up seriously knee capping a majority of the cast instead of narrowing the gap like Capcom would like it to. But that could be fun, so I won't poo-poo it. 

1 hour ago, Skort said:

f the new mechanic is actually something new and not a new CA i kinda view it as it could be the testing grounds for SF 6 to an extend ( think  Omega SF 4 ) . 

I can get down with this. essentially beta test some stuff you want to put into 6. Not a bad plan. 

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

There aren’t many, if any, fighting games I can think that have perfect gameplay mechanics. SF2 would be the closest one, personally

Random dizzies and damage is peak game design 🙃

but outside that shit  I agree, cause it was before the times of being bogged down with unique mechanics to make people want to pick it up. 

56 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

something super stupid like V-Cancel

Isn't that already a thing? Combo extensions by popping v-trigger?  Or would it be an EX move, where you use one segment of your v-trigger bar to cancel? That actually wouldn't be a bad idea imho🤷‍♀️

Edited by KingTubb

I was just randomly thinking about the mindset of playing fighting games in an Arcade setting compared to online. 

It's funny. I'd get my ass waxed in all sorts of fighting games (Street Fighter, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, MVC, KOF, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, etc) and couldn't wait to try my hand the next day. You really had no choice but to make those coins count. Once they were done, that was it. While it was quite annoying to maintain with the variety of games around me, it really made me appreciate all fighting games. You really had to put the time and effort in to get good. Lines were almost always huge on Friday nights. I hated waiting at the back of the line, so I tried extra hard when I was up. Still remember the long walks of shame when I'd get dusted. Often happened much quicker if I decided to play Metal Slug or House of the Dead.

Now, you can play sets to infinity from the comforts of your home with anyone. I love the convenience, but I do miss the hectic environment that came with the Arcade setting. 

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Isn't that already a thing? Combo extensions by popping v-trigger?  Or would it be an EX move, where you use one segment of your v-trigger bar to cancel? That actually wouldn't be a bad idea imho🤷‍♀️

You can't even fathom the anime bullshit some characters would be able to do with a V-Cancel.

On the other hand, Ryu needs more help. Do it for the fukkery Capcom! 🤣

3 hours ago, Skort said:

Snip

My problem with capcim, specifically when it comes to fgs, is that 

1. They always learn the wrong lessons. 

2. They learned to be lazy when it comes to fgs because they have been enabled to be for years. 

It was has lead to the disastets that were SFxT, SFV and MVCI. 

I hope that MVCI was a wake up call. 

Because is clear that SFV underperforming and taking almost 4 (or was it 5?) years to meet the 3 months sales goal wasn't. 

If this last mechanic is something new, then will be likely something like how omega mode was a testing ground for ideas that later were implemented on SFV, if is just new CAs, which very likely will be, tjen is clear they want to create interest, but not put too much effort since they are working on 6, specially if they end being lifted from older games and actually dont addresses needs that the char have, kinda like how many ultra2s werr garbage that didnt fit the chars, and sadly some good chunk of vtriggers. 

While i do love sf as a franchise because it was one of my 1st fgs, i prefer it to be a dormant ip instead of seeing it running it to the ground tbh. 

Right now there are other companies putting the work that capcom doesnt, so is not like we need sf any more outside having the waifus on a game. 

6 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

SFV has some annoying mechanics/balance issues (weak AAs, etc), but I’d honestly think I’d love the game if it had a great netcode.

There aren’t many, if any, fighting games I can think that have perfect gameplay mechanics. SF2 would be the closest one, personally.

I love sf2, but that game is far from perfect when it comes to mechanics, or lack of them. 

Without counting balance (which is atrocious), it has alot of stuff left to chance, plus weird shit happening due inputs being eaten due frame skips. 

If i had to choose, i would say GGAC and its variants. 

The games are simply excellent and solidly well designed. 

It helps that the AC games were the culmination of the work on the X and XX series. 

Edited by Hecatom

I love SFII HF and it will likely always be my favorite fighting game, but my nostalgia goggles do not blind me to its shortcomings: lop-sided matchups (even though the game is very balanced for its day), slow-down, frame skips, random damage and dizzies, no combo scaling, stiff controls (compared to modern games), a coin-toss throw mechanic and only 12 characters.

The only well-balanced SF games that aren't garbage are HD Remix, and to a lesser degree, SSFIV.

49 minutes ago, elliephil said:

Having one of those days where I need to remind myself that there is another human being on the other end playing these games with me. Trying to adapt to my opponent but I keep getting overwhelmed.

What are some tips fellas

Watch your replays if possible. 

Check what is giving you problems in general and in specific matchups. 

Dont internalize your loses in a negative way. 

I know it is easy to say than do, but if you let the frustration build up, you only make it harder for you to learn. 

20 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Watch your replays if possible. 

Check what is giving you problems in general and in specific matchups. 

Dont internalize your loses in a negative way. 

I know it is easy to say than do, but if you let the frustration build up, you only make it harder for you to learn. 

Internalizing was one of the worst things I did as a player and I've done it for waaaaay too long. I was running some mvc2 sets with a friend and unfortunately I didn't think to record replays, but I'm running the scenarios through my head.

Trying to accept that I'm not playing the game wrong, I'm just not playing against the person right.

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

Having one of those days where I need to remind myself that there is another human being on the other end playing these games with me. Trying to adapt to my opponent but I keep getting overwhelmed.

If you don't know why you are getting beat, then analyze replay vids to give yourself a better idea of where you are failing.

If you know what your problem is but are having trouble doing something about it, then just remember that it takes a long time to get good at something.  Work on trying to improve on the things you know you suck at and you'll eventually get to where you want to be.

Posting replays here will help us tell you what you're doing wrong.

On 1/11/2021 at 5:01 PM, Vhozite said:

On 1/11/2021 at 5:40 PM, Volta said:

Feels like MK is the go-to fighting game when a Call of Duty player wants to broaden his horizons.

Most fighting games wish they had a community like that.

Having a large community that is made up mostly of scrubs who don't play anything else means you've got a healthy game that attracts all sorts of players, and not just hardcore FGC people.

Smash is another good example of this.  It's a MASSIVE game with a huge player base has no idea what they're talking about most of the time.  They also think joystick motions are the devil and refuse to play any other fighting game.  I've legit seen Smash players complaining that people who do combos are THE WORST.

I hope other fighting games eventually reach this level of scrubbery as well because it means the player base is healthy.  Hopefully some of those people will eventually evolve into competitive players and keep the more hardcore part of the scene alive.

People shit on Call of Duty but the number of clueless people that play it just shows just how big Call of Duty is.

Also, fuck you.  I love COD.  🔫

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

Don’t focus on winning. Instead focus on:

1. What are you doing wrong

2. What options are giving me the most trouble. 

When I lose it’s usually because I’m repeatedly making a mistake without thinking. Jumping too much, over relying on something unsafe, etc. Mid match you should be watching the other person but also paying attention to your own habits.

Also I’m losing a round badly I will typically start playing to win the next round instead of trying to mount a comeback. Really paying attention to the opponents habits, conserving my meter, and making the other person burn as many resources (mental and literal) as possible to finish me off. If I’m losing to something specific my biggest focus becomes trying to figure out how to beat so I can blow it up in the clutch later.

32 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Don’t focus on winning. Instead focus on:

1. What are you doing wrong

2. What options are giving me the most trouble. 

When I lose it’s usually because I’m repeatedly making a mistake without thinking. Jumping too much, over relying on something unsafe, etc. Mid match you should be watching the other person but also paying attention to your own habits.

Also I’m losing a round badly I will typically start playing to win the next round instead of trying to mount a comeback. Really paying attention to the opponents habits, conserving my meter, and making the other person burn as many resources (mental and literal) as possible to finish me off. If I’m losing to something specific my biggest focus becomes trying to figure out how to beat so I can blow it up in the clutch later.

I recorded a video tonight with a certain someone on the learning process when it comes to Oki. Maybe that can help prevent that autopiloting starting at all.

On 1/11/2021 at 4:01 PM, Vhozite said:

The worst part is that we also have pro players making dumb scrub takes 😕

I said it before and will say it again,
MK is the Fifa/Madden/CoD of the fighting games.

Is noble that in recent years NRS is trying to improve the competitive value of the games they make, and be less patch happy, but they also need to keep the massive casual fanbase happy, hence why they sometimes do some really stupid shit when it comes to balancing the game.

Then add that they also always make some dumb decisions, which i assume that come from a misguided idea of needing to do the stuff that way to be different and/or because traditionally they have made the stuff like that since the beginning.

3 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

So these FT10 3rd Strike matches are so good.  Even if you're not a diehard fan of the game, they're worth a watch. 

@DayaanI'm assuming you saw these?

Obviously. Unfortunately, I don't think that the vast majority of the general public was able to understand what was actually happening. Justin, Maximilian and even Matsuda's chats were... Well they were filled with people like me (except they have no experience in the game). I wonder if I should make a video breaking down some matches. Ultimately I think it'd be a fruitless labor, but a fun one nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Dayaan