Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

5 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

So these FT10 3rd Strike matches are so good.  Even if you're not a diehard fan of the game, they're worth a watch. 

@DayaanI'm assuming you saw 

So many crazy interactions in those sets. High level 3s is something else.

Saw some tweet that was like "these players assume their opponent is good, so they do questionable things" and that really got to me.

Edit: found it

Edited by elliephil
1 hour ago, misterBee said:

Snip  

If we go by sales and money made, then yeah, most fg will kill for a community like that.

The problem is that MK lacks player retention, in both casual and hardcore level.

The games tend to die out very quickly after the novelty passes.

Then you have the weird habit of NRS not keeping more than one game at a time.

Also, having a lot of scrubs imo is detrimental in the long run, because you either balance trying to please them, making your game shit, or you end losing them when their scrubbery doesnt get addressed, which is what tends to happen to NRS games.

One beneffit smaller/nichier games have is that they have longer lives because the player base they have is more invested for longer periods of times.

You usually want a good balance on the crowd you attact.

We have games like DBFZ, which also has a lot of scrubery going on, and yet it is more healthier than MK11, despite selling way less.

The same for games like SFV, Tekken, etc.

5 minutes ago, elliephil said:

So many crazy interactions in those sets. High level 3s is something else.

Saw some tweet that was like "these players assume their opponent is good, so they do questionable things" and that really got to me.

Edit: found it

Uninformed tweet. The reason he does it is 3-fold. If it hits, he gets a knockdown. If it gets blocked, he's safe. If it gets parried, he can option select super by inputting super extremely late. In this way, if the move is blocked or hits, the super doesn't come out [meter is saved] and if it gets parried, the super comes out and he has the chance to win that engagement.

This is a mid-level strategy that works at all levels. It's a sub-RPS that is hard to read and requires a delayed punish to be made safe, otherwise the super hits you. Tominaga played it at a high level given the situation, but inflating or deflating a decision and commenting on it without the necessary knowledge can be detrimental to your game.

Edited by Dayaan
1 minute ago, Dayaan said:

Obviously. Unfortunately, I don't think that the vast majority of the general public was able to understand what was actually happening. Justin, Maximilian and even Matsuda's chats were... Well they were filled with people like me (except they have no experience in the game). I wonder if I should make a video breaking down some matches. Ultimately I think it'd be a fruitless labor, but a fun one nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I was watching in Justin's stream and eventually fell asleep since it went on so late.  I would watch a video breakdown.  Even though I'm not a 3rd strike player I enjoy watching the game and would like to learn more about it.  

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

I recorded a video tonight with a certain someone on the learning process when it comes to Oki. Maybe that can help prevent that autopiloting starting at all.

Auto piloting isn’t necessarily a bad thing as long as you can recognize when it’s not working. Having a good flow chart is a great way to conserve mental energy. It’s only an issue when it’s you’re flow charting so hard that you stop paying attention.

Funny enough this exact thing is why I stopped playing Ibuki and Kotal Khan...it’s way too easy to face roll the pad and beat people without paying attention. It’s boring and it was probably making me a worse player. 

xmen_4player_1000x1500_01_1600x.jpg?v=16

I see Arcade1UP is finally releasing the classic X-Men. Honestly, this will always be one of my fav superhero games. Kinda tempted to load up the PS3 version and run through the game again. They're also adding another fav beat 'em up of mine, which is Captain America and the Avengers. Had that game for Sega Genesis. When I was younger, I always wondered why we never got a port of the X-Men Arcade game. Thankfully there were a lot of great games (TMNT, Avengers, Final Fight, Double Dragon, Battletoads, Streets of Rage, etc) from that genre to choose from.

Now I have no idea about that Avengers in Galactic Storm game that's included as the third game. I never saw it back in the day. From what I'm reading, it's supposed to be a fighting game with visuals similar to Killer Instinct. I guess they figured they might as well throw in another Avengers game. Would've been perfect if they included the Spider-Man Arcade game. That's another game that's never received a port in any form. Oh, well. Maybe another time.

Honestly, there are so many of these Arcade1Up cabs that would be awesome fun for me and my buddy once this Covid stuff went back to normal, but his wife is expecting and there won’t be that kind of time... We’d have a blast with that x-men cab and basically every fighting game cab they have put out though.

as much as I’d love most of these, this shit would collect dust after a week. As affordable as they are, it’ll have to wait until I have money to burn... I’d probably make an exception for an MVC2 one, but I’ll doubt they’ll ever make it just because the emulation of it is so different than the others.

Edited by Mattatsu

After six years, I finally got 100% completion on Strider.  🥰  Took me 8.5 hours spread over 3 days, on hard mode for extra fun. 

Took care of the house and kids for a few hours, then dove back in for a new game to get the last two achievements, notably the speedrun one.  Completed normal mode in 2 hours 16 minutes from start. 

It's nice getting achievements that only 2% of the playerbase got.

I'm ready for a new Strider game, Capcom!

44 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

After six years, I finally got 100% completion on Strider.  🥰  Took me 8.5 hours spread over 3 days, on hard mode for extra fun. 

Took care of the house and kids for a few hours, then dove back in for a new game to get the last two achievements, notably the speedrun one.  Completed normal mode in 2 hours 16 minutes from start. 

It's nice getting achievements that only 2% of the playerbase got.

I'm ready for a new Strider game, Capcom!

Join us on DOOM Eternal now!

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

Do you guys mostly do speedruns or have you delved into battlemode? I only really play the battlemode to complete the challenges but wouldn't mind playing it more at some point.

We just play the hell out of the game. Unfortunately, Matt is on PS4, so no Battlemode. We just like discussing the game and the strats. There's an FPS/DOOM Thread. Join us there! I'm gearing up for a few Master Levels.

10 minutes ago, Volt said:

WOAT-Tier posting. Even most Blanka fans wouldn't go that low. Smh.

spacer.png

If you've got no issue with millions of people being forced to cosplay as trash bags by an islamofascist power structure but are 'offended' by a quip about it, you need to get your head checked.

EDIT: this doesn't just apply to you, but the other two morons who downvoted that post as well.

Edited by Volta
1 minute ago, elliephil said:

I respect the part where chun did legs 7 times in a row

You know what's dumb? Urien can't contest that really and it's safe against him. Same goes for SBK and LK Tatsu from Ken. Expecting Urien to red parry is asking too much of him, so it's generally safe. Here is a hilarious and coke fuelled example of this. I have so few liked videos on YT. This is one of them:

https://youtu.be/sYR_jn_DPw8

1 hour ago, GreatDarkHero said:

I am going to test out some Juri for the time being. 

All the while taking @Skortinsights to heart. I do hope that Juri gets *some* respect when Rose is given the Green Light. 

Juri is fun and can fight any matchup but be prepared to work.

She is not unga, you need to use your brain,she does not really play SFV.

You have the satisfaction of playing as a TOP TIER waifu though.

Edited by Skort
1 minute ago, Dayaan said:

You know what's dumb? Urien can't contest that really and it's safe against him. Same goes for SBK and LK Tatsu from Ken. Expecting Urien to red parry is asking too much of him, so it's generally safe. Here is a hilarious and coke fuelled example of this. I have so few liked videos on YT. This is one of them:

https://youtu.be/sYR_jn_DPw8

lol I love that clip. Rushdown chun li.

I remember at Canada Cup a few years ago watching a high level urien player go up against a well established international chun player from Japan. I had watched him play against a bunch of Akuma players earlier and seeing the red parries going hard, meaning he had the capability of forcing some respect from the other player.

Lost two separate rounds (at pixel health)  being stuck in the corner after sa2, forced to parry but didn't have any actual way to safely turn the momentum. Wish I would have recorded them... oh well.

Just now, Dayaan said:

Ok, ok, I like where this is going...

It's the truth and she has the same issues as Sagat.

She can be solid but you need to work.If you are looking for dumb easy wins,Juri is not for you.

She was never easy to use effective.

2 minutes ago, elliephil said:

lol I love that clip. Rushdown chun li.

I remember at Canada Cup a few years ago watching a high level urien player go up against a well established international chun player from Japan. I had watched him play against a bunch of Akuma players earlier and seeing the red parries going hard, meaning he had the capability of forcing some respect from the other player.

Lost two separate rounds (at pixel health)  being stuck in the corner after sa2, forced to parry but didn't have any actual way to safely turn the momentum. Wish I would have recorded them... oh well.

I know what you mean. Urien has no means to live there. Typically, you parry the first 3 hits of LLs, then you get the chance to throw. I think Urien faces issues with this because of his size, but I would have to confirm. Please don't spread that guess because you heard it from me. I'll get back to you on this. Speaking of size, did you know that if Makoto is crouching, she shaves off nearly half of the chip from Chun's super? Almost every kick in the first volley is a phantom hit. This means that you don't take damage, but you're still forced to do a tight parry. Size influences a LOT of things in the game.

3 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

I know what you mean. Urien has no means to live there. Typically, you parry the first 3 hits of LLs, then you get the chance to throw. I think Urien faces issues with this because of his size, but I would have to confirm. Please don't spread that guess because you heard it from me. I'll get back to you on this. Speaking of size, did you know that if Makoto is crouching, she shaves off nearly half of the chip from Chun's super? Almost every kick in the first volley is a phantom hit. This means that you don't take damage, but you're still forced to do a tight parry. Size influences a LOT of things in the game.

Urien hates being knocked down, command throws, multi hitting moves, small characters and especially makoto who has like all of those things  LOL

Still dope character design, so much fun

Just now, elliephil said:

Urien hates being knocked down, command throws, multi hitting moves, small characters and especially makoto who has like all of those things  LOL

Still dope character design, so much fun

Yeah but that's like... every character. What Urien really can't deal with is positioning and range normals that threaten a reset into pressure again. A good example is a spaced Cr.LP x2 from Yang. Urien can't do anything. Even after parry, at best he gets Cr.MK which isn't cancellable, does little damage and doesn't give him an advantage. Make sure to react to his bullshit dash and punish his -9 launcher.

Just now, Dayaan said:

Yeah but that's like... every character. What Urien really can't deal with is positioning and range normals that threaten a reset into pressure again. A good example is a spaced Cr.LP x2 from Yang. Urien can't do anything. Even after parry, at best he gets Cr.MK which isn't cancellable, does little damage and doesn't give him an advantage. Make sure to react to his bullshit dash and punish his -9 launcher.

I guess I meant more so that urien doesn't actually have any way to directly counter pressure other than whiffing headbutts like a goon. Top tiers definitely have more options available than him. I wouldn't say every character experiences the same issues Urien does. He can't handle any knockdown from any range really, he has to hold it. (unless you go online sicko mode and whiff headbutts on wake up lol)

5 minutes ago, elliephil said:

I guess I meant more so that urien doesn't actually have any way to directly counter pressure other than whiffing headbutts like a goon. Top tiers definitely have more options available than him. I wouldn't say every character experiences the same issues Urien does. He can't handle any knockdown from any range really, he has to hold it. (unless you go online sicko mode and whiff headbutts on wake up lol)

Ah ok, that's the clarification I needed. There is stuff he can do besides that, but it's always going to carry risk.

5 hours ago, elliephil said:

Do you guys mostly do speedruns or have you delved into battlemode? I only really play the battlemode to complete the challenges but wouldn't mind playing it more at some point.

Actually, we should get into battle mode lol. I only tried it once but that was against two noobs and I smoked them... I even had a pain actively running away from me at 5 mph.

I haven’t touched it in a month or two, but I just kept running through the campaign and DLC on nightmare, prepping for UN runs. I’d be down for running BM with you if you’re on PS4... If you have it on PC, then Dayaan may be up to it

Edited by Mattatsu
52 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Actually, we should get into battle mode lol. I only tried it once but that was against two noobs and I smoked them... I even had a pain actively running away from me at 5 mph.

I haven’t touched it in a month or two, but I just kept running through the campaign and DLC on nightmare, prepping for UN runs. I’d be down for running BM with you if you’re on PS4... If you have it on PC, then Dayaan may be up to it

That reminds me...do you guys play any other PvP games? I basically don’t play anything other than FGs these days but wouldn’t mind trying other things. 

PS: Got squadrons and it’s cool but kinda glad I got in on sale. It’s deep mechanically but incredibly shallow everywhere else.