Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah, but seeing how she behaves on the story mode you think is doing her any goods? 🤣

Mika simply focuses on her strongest traits, using her head as a blunt instrument is therefore only rational and the most efficient tactic.

Anyway, I heard that there was new Capcom policy on content or some stuff. Am I understanding it correctly when I say that it's basically a misguided corporate load of nonsense trying to defend intellectual property without really understanding how modern internet content creators work, and will likely only screw over people who are building careers off this stuff while it will be completely unenforceable on everyone else?

5 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I have barely touched Samsho yet, but from what I’ve seen, I think I’m going to main Haohmaru... I always like balanced characters with a DP, even if they're stupidly popular (which I'm assuming he is)

I cant really tell you if Haomaru is as popular like Ryu or Ken in SF, mostly because more chars run on simple plans and do heavy damage most the time 😂, so any archetypical advantage is usually minimal outside extreme occasions. 

I think, at least in competitive play chars like the ninjas tend to be favored because they dont get too gimped when they lose their weapons. 

Well that’s good know. I still have to try out the base roster, but I really like characters with DPs. I know he’s not the only one, but he also seems to be fairly balanced which i like as well.

i also want someone with decent, ranged confirms/cancels though, so it’ll take a bit of labbing to settle on someone.

Edited by Mattatsu
43 minutes ago, elliephil said:

I've only played the game a handful of times, but Charlotte seems really solid for getting a hold of the game. I have some friends who were serious about SamSho and that's what they recommended me (new to the series) to play.

Thanks! I’ll check her out. I’ve seen recommendations for as well for people new to the series.

also, do you have it on PS4? And if so, would you be up for playing? Because of our distance, we should have a decent connection.

4 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I cant really tell you if Haomaru is as popular like Ryu or Ken in SF, mostly because more chars run on simple plans and do heavy damage most the time 😂, so any archetypical advantage is usually minimal outside extreme occasions. 

How come the majority characters are shotos? Chun Li is easier in my opinion. Characters that have a harder time opening up the opponent from high-low mixups that also have a DP input just have an extra thing to consider in exchange for damage at the cost of oki and mental bandwidth.

11 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Nice! Thanks AriesWarlock!

@DoctaMario do you have Samsho 2019 on PS4?

Aye I do! We should get a lobby going this weekend with @Hecatomand anyone else who wants to play if you're up for it! 

One thing I highly recommend of you're going to learn Haohmaru is to learn to recoil cancel his heavy slash. What that means is, if the opponent blocks the slash, you can cancel his recoil animation into a special move (tornado is useful here) or a deflect. It helps make his game plan a little safer. 

Let's take this to the SamSho thread and we can figure out when to play 

3 hours ago, elliephil said:

I've only played the game a handful of times, but Charlotte seems really solid for getting a hold of the game. I have some friends who were serious about SamSho and that's what they recommended me (new to the series) to play.

Charlotte is definitely very easy to pick up and pretty effective out of the box, although because of that, at least in 5 Special, I'd run into Charlotte players who were being carried by the character quote often. But a Charlotte player who knew the game well? Such a pain in the ass 😆

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

He's box art guy🤷‍♀️ I honestly thought you were going to pick Genjuro for the rekkas.  

He’s definitely on my list to try out. Haohmaru just felt good in the tutorial and follow-up training. I like his specials, but a key thing i’m interested in are confirms/cancels as well. I want someone with a DP, with a good bait and punish game, and good damage off medium pokes (cancels into specials, etc) . Plus, i have to like the character design... i definitely have a bit of work to do.

2 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

You can tell they really love fighting games.

Even past that, they have the best sprite work out there today and SoR4 is a masterpiece. 

I'd play whatever they put out, but if they got their hands on an existing IP and could run with it like they did SoR4...

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

How come the majority characters are shotos? Chun Li is easier in my opinion. Characters that have a harder time opening up the opponent from high-low mixups that also have a DP input just have an extra thing to consider in exchange for damage at the cost of oki and mental bandwidth.

I’m not sure why they’re the most popular tbh. I guess Ryu just set the standard as the game’s balanced character and other games used similar design strategies.

i realize DPs are harder to do and sometimes less advantageous as an AA, but I absolutely love AAing with a DP. It’s usually my favourite parts of a round. Much more satisfying that a normal. Ken’s low forward into super is close (if not higher) in satisfaction for me though.

Just now, Mattatsu said:

I’m not sure why they’re the most popular tbh. I guess Ryu just set the standard as the game’s balanced character and other games used similar design strategies.

i realize DPs are harder to do and sometimes less advantageous as an AA, but I absolutely love AAing with a DP. It’s usually my favourite parts of a round. Much more satisfying that a normal. Ken’s low forward into super is close (if not higher) in satisfaction for me though.

What about jab anti-air?

42 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Sol Sadguy

Ya know I was thinking about Fighting Game Story Modes today.

I think GG has handeld it's Story the best so far, Xrd did the right thing in basically clearing up the entire Story up to that point, keeping things consitent and putting an end to one arc. With Sol finally having his Wife back and she's hot.

Arcade Modes giving you more fluff, without interfering with the story directly, was also a very nice idea.

I really hope they keep this up with Strive and don't do a bad Story mode like T7 or SFV.

How I wished they bring the more fancy Akume Cyber Akuma instead of the boring Shin Gouki.

Yet they are great that they manage to put Ken and other characters in there

50 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Didn't realize till right now that I want a lizardcube fighting game. 

Too bad the guys at SNK dislike it.

It's likely they didn't like that 2D  anymore or want something different

Edited by Shakunetsu
1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

I don’t think it has anything to do with Ryu directly...he’s as generic as a FG character can be. 

Shoto gameplay is simple but effective. Nothing overly complicated and you have something for roughly any range with jumping through many hurdles. Its very complete. Shoto gameplay in everything also makes other games feel more accessible, since it’s basically morphed into a “start here” archetype. 

To back up what Mr. @Vhozitesaid: 

Every other competitive fighting game requires a character that *helps* players get used to how things work before. 
A shotoclone, in context of a 2D fighting game is a well-known archetype that allows people quickly analyze and practice the game mechanics with a relatively simple move set without specific gimmicks (in relation to what the character is capable of). 

You have some generic but effective normal moves, complete with practical command moves, normal anti-airs, and decent combo starters. 
You have an invincible DP reversal. 

You have a projectile. 

And, then you have some other move that causes the character to travel forward or has a lot of forward momentum. 

And, then one or two super moves and/or EX moves depending on the game. 

What you are left with is the game mechanics themselves. This is a character that enables people to adjust accordingly. 
A character such as Haohmaru in Samsho for example would fit that description well. 

Then in KOF (specifically in XIII), you have Andy Bogard, Shen Woo, Terry Bogard, and even 95 Kyo for example to help people learn that particular game. 

When you get used to the mechanics and you've fought for a while, you can finally branch out to another character. 

The approach *I* like to take is to take hold of the residential shotoclone or a relatively easy-to-play character with a practical set of tools. Spend some time on the training mode, arcade mode and online learning the game mechanics. Then branch out and learn new match ups. 

Chronologically, this how a lot of people would approach the situation in learning a new fighting game but YMMV. It is still important to be keep in mind that people can do as they wish when they pick a character, especially if they *really* like a certain character.

I am just speaking from a position where the game mechanics come before the character. 

9 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

Chronologically, this how a lot of people would approach the situation in learning a new fighting game but YMMV. It is still important to be keep in mind that people can do as they wish when they pick a character, especially if they *really* like a certain character.

I am just speaking from a position where the game mechanics come before the character. 

Yeah this is roughly how I approach games I’m 100% unfamiliar with. Start with one of the basic characters (usually the mascot) to understand what’s going on then move on to someone I actually want to play. I will say that newer games that have robust tutorials streamline this step, so sometimes I don’t actually have to play with the character much. 

Funny enough I feel like Ryu isn’t the best character for this in SFV. I’d say Cammy is the best starter character.

11 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah this is roughly how I approach games I’m 100% unfamiliar with. Start with one of the basic characters (usually the mascot) to understand what’s going on then move on to someone I actually want to play. I will say that newer games that have robust tutorials streamline this step, so sometimes I don’t actually have to play with the character much. 

Funny enough I feel like Ryu isn’t the best character for this in SFV. I’d say Cammy is the best starter character.

Ryu in SFV is... weird to say the least. At his surface, he *appears* to be beginner-friendly but at this point

Cammy (and Nash) were the first characters I emphasized on because with Cammy, she has...
Some beefy normal moves for both poking and starting combos with. 

Several key normals that offer frame advantage on hit and on block. 

She has *several* useful anti-airs (I'm just going to outright say it, the reason why I got as far as I did during the initial release of SFV online and for offline events is because of Cammy's sexy ass 4MP. That shit even shut down some cross-up attempts! But, aside from 4MP, she has a DP and even her standing HK. 

Has several moves with good forward momentum. 

... And, she also (somehow) remains relatively relevant in current time, though there are still a few distinctively bad match ups in her case. 

Ryu? I don't know *what* the fuck is going with my boy. I do appreciate him having an extra special move (Joudan Geri, which was already around back in the days of 3S) and a few other buffs but most of them aren't even close to being enough for him to play the "SFV" meta game, if you know what I mean. Which was Cammy *can* do, just from how her move set is arranged. 

3 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

He’s definitely on my list to try out. Haohmaru just felt good in the tutorial and follow-up training. I like his specials, but a key thing i’m interested in are confirms/cancels as well. I want someone with a DP, with a good bait and punish game, and good damage off medium pokes (cancels into specials, etc) . Plus, i have to like the character design... i definitely have a bit of work to do.

My nigga, this is a game where in many ocassions a single hard slash is more than enough for a punishment 🤣

You now who is stupid good and has a great punishment game?

Iroha.

Is the perfect waifu  character for newcomers on the game imo.

9 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

My nigga, this is a game where in many ocassions a single hard slash is more than enough for a punishment 🤣

Iroha.

Yeah, but it’s slow. I’d be looking for someone to confirm off a faster medium for roughly the same damage... May not be a thing, lol, but those are things i need to look at. My hands have been messed up since the weekend, so i haven't really done any testing yet, just watching videos and looking things up mostly.

also, i just bought base game for now. I’m planning on buying s1 to 3, but want to make sure i like the game after i get into it a bit. Just a bit apprehensive because of all of the new games (and DLC) I bought and ended up dropping (GBVS, DBFZ, T7, etc)

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

While i understand the logic behind this approach to learning fighting games.

I think that it can be a little missleading if the characters you are interested have different approaches to the game, or have special mechanics/mobility options attached to them.

I think that it doesnt really hurt to learn the game with the characters that you are interested, since that way you are doing it with a character you like.

Worst case scenario, you are learning the game with a character you dont like and learning the game and a gameplay that wouldnt be of too much use when you actually move to the character you were atually interested, making you need to learn everything again.

Lets take for example a game like BB and MVC3, you take the "shotos" of the games, and when you move on to the chars you were interested, Valkenhain/Tager/Hakumen/Hazama, and Vergil/Dr. Strange/Frank West/Phoenix Wright/Magneto everything you learned is not of much use since they are very functionally different, specially if you actually learned to be proficiend with the shotos.

Now you have to unlearn the game to learn it again.

10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Iroha.

HAH!! She was the first DLC character I gotten a hold of! I completely understand this notion. 

Plus, she has some really good tools in midair, specifically if you are the type to play some keepaway. 

Just now, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, but it’s slow. I’d be looking for someone to confirm off a faster medium for roughly the same damage... May not be a thing, lol, but those are things i need to look at. My hands have been messed up since the weekend, so i haven't really done any testing yet, just watching videos and looking things up mostly.

also, i just bought base game for now. I’m planning on buying s1 to 3, but want to make sure i like the game after i get into it a bit. Just a bit apprehensive because of all of the new games (and DLC) I bought and ended up dropping (GBVS, DBFZ, T7, etc)

Just to be sure, you are talking about the hard slashes right?

Yeah they are slow, but, the approach to the game is not really the same as if you were playing SF.

After all, many moves have long recovery frames, so you will find that in many occassions your most optimal punisher will be a heavy slash.

3 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Just to be sure, you are talking about the hard slashes right?

Yeah they are slow, but, the approach to the game is not really the same as if you were playing SF.

After all, many moves have long recovery frames, so you will find that in many occassions your most optimal punisher will be a heavy slash.

That is true, and there are recoil cancels too... honestly, maybe i’ll just run through a few characters with DPs and see who i like the feel of the most and just learn them until i understand Samsho better.

thanks.