Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

3 hours ago, Yiceman said:

So I wasn't really interested in Strive until I played the beta and actually had fun. I'm still really not into the super fast, crazy mix-up based rushdown of anime fighters though, so are there any other zoning based characters in this roster besides Axl?

From Sajam's chat at https://youtu.be/4GgC1ZeENfE?t=979 

* The wall break mechanic resetting to neutral

* Eddie being quicker to add & remove to play instead of call once & run 6 mixups

* Greatly reduced gatlings, hence, the barrage of normals that go on forever

...overall says the dev's intention is to prevent the franchise's previous snowball-y effect of one combo corners you where you then eat hellish mixups and die in two more touches.  

This is a good change, I think.  

14 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

766416734_PatchNotes.jpg.4549e8f8a9a67ff49f4b8f38e7cb4e80.jpg

MisterBee can I have this as an official Megashock background?  That shade of blue is 🧑‍🍳💋👌

13 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

BTW, every time I try to play an anime fighter I sit there in training mode unable to do a basic combo because I'm used to links.  Then everything clicks once I realize I just need to press buttons like a madman.  

Ever play SF Alpha 1 or like literally anything in the Darkstalkers or Marvel franchises?  The magic series, the hunter series, etc? 

The hell, have you ever watched any GG? This rarely happend if at all.

They try to make the game simpler because thats the current trend everyone follows.

GG was way to complicated for Newcomers and getting knocked down and having to deal with oki was also bad for newcomers.

If you get snowballed it's either on specific characters who excell at this or because you screwd up a lot in quick succesion.

I really want a mark on everyones Signature if they ever played something other than a Capcom game before.

1 minute ago, Volt said:

Explain this then:

Spoiler

DIA-WG3XUAAxokz.jpg

You make them yourself at this point, there is no other explanation where you get them from.

Also nothing in GG was as bad and will ever be as bad as Curse.

They also never had to deal with Kokonoe or Valkenhayn or Nine or a giant atomic snake or a blue haired caveman or Izanami in general.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

The hell, have you ever watched any GG? This rarely happend if at all.

Also nothing in GG was as bad and will ever be as bad as Curse.

They also never had to deal with Kokonoe or Valkenhayn or Nine or a giant atomic snake or a blue haired caveman or Izanami in general.

I'll challenge this by flipping the question.  Have you ever watched any non-anime FG at all?  😂

10 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Does anyone is Strive have a fancy fireball? I’ve been watching footage and I feel like I’m not seeing much plasma outside of the really basic shit like Gunflame. 

That's kind of what I was asking but I don't think there is much of that. I was hoping for a Hakweye from Marvel or Metera from Gran Blue type of character but I'm seeing that in the roster yet.

16 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

You make them yourself at this point, there is no other explanation where you get them from.

Sauce in the hashtag.

20 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Does anyone is Strive have a fancy fireball? I’ve been watching footage and I feel like I’m not seeing much plasma outside of the really basic shit like Gunflame. 

In Strive? Uhhhhhhh...

Like, there's some fancier stuff like Faust's items, Ram's weird sword shots, Leo's massive gorilla booms, May's seal ball and now I-No's Note of EZ Oki, but nothing compared to the real sauce old GGs had, like Dizzy and Venom.

6 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Venom seems like he'd be almost Zato level of difficult to use. 

He's not so bad. He's difficult but for different reasons. There are some easy ball placements you can do and you kinda work your way up from there. Like pressure> K Ball, 5P to send it forward, stuff like that.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Venom has retired and is now a baker, the Assasin Guild has cut all ties to him and he has no reason to appear again, he himself had enough too.

I see them bring back Aria and make her a full on Zoner. If that happens I hope that she plays like a Murakumo.

I mean that's cute but at the end of the day it's still a fighting game. If they wanted to bring him back they could, easy. Sorry mate but story be damned.

26 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

He's not so bad. He's difficult but for different reasons. There are some easy ball placements you can do and you kinda work your way up from there. Like pressure> K Ball, 5P to send it forward, stuff like that.

I mean that's cute but at the end of the day it's still a fighting game. If they wanted to bring him back they could, easy. Sorry mate but story be damned.

Tell that to Cliff and Justice.

1 minute ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Tell that to Cliff and Justice.

Even they were added to the playable roster eventually though. Sure it was XX's last iteration but they still did. All I'm saying is that the story/lore should always take a backseat to gameplay. If I were a betting man I'd wager we'll see Venom in Strive, sooner than later, regardless of his retiree status. And Robo Ky cuz well I love me some Robo Ky

1 hour ago, Jocelot said:

Jeah it's usually Venom who is the projectile guy from GG, but he's not on the roster yet. He's pretty iconic and is closely tied to Millia n' Zato in the lore so I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him as DLC.

Yeah someone like Venom is what I was looking for. I like zoning but I’m really not a fan of the basic “stand full screen and flood the screen with huge buttons/rapid fire plasma” style.

Thats why I was looking into Zato earlier. He seems to be the closest to what I want, but fuck is he complicated. 

Unrelated question: how exactly does Nago play? 

Edited by Vhozite

I’m kinda curious to catch up on GG lore for some reason (maybe to keep me occupied until April).

anyone know of a good read/series that’s easily broken down into chunks? I remember trying to get into it with Rev2 and found some long wiki page and was absolutely lost like two paragraphs in

Edited by Mattatsu
4 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I’m kinda curious to catch up on GG lore for some reason (maybe to keep me occupied until April).

I gotcha.

It's incomplete rn, but it covers the events that are a bitch to find, like GGX's whole story that was only released in GGX Plus in Japan for the PS2 and nobody got time for that.

I'll try to find something covering XX and AC+, kinda need a refresher myself. For GG2 and Xrd you just watch the stories and Xrd Arcades.

Basically this dude named Fred is the ultimate mary sue who accidently created Gears (magic powered beasts) with his boytoy best friend named That Man and they ended up creating a Gear weapon who was actually Fred's girlfriend and she blew up Japan for some reason.

Fred felt Guilty about the Gears he changed his name to Sol and helped fight against them in a war called the Holy Crusades that lasted like a 100 years. But Sol is long lived since it turns out he accidently turned himself into the world's most powerful gear. But remember he's also a super awesome scientist and invented a super cool headband that limited his gigachad gear powers.

Then Justice came back, but Sol killed her, but then a secret cult ran by a crazy (and weirdly sexy) pope revived Justice again, but than Sol killed her again. With his son in law and daughter and his grandkid. 

5 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

Basically this dude named Fred is the ultimate mary sue who accidently created Gears (magic powered beasts) with his boytoy best friend named That Man and they ended up creating a Gear weapon who was actually Fred's girlfriend and she blew up Japan for some reason.

Fred felt Guilty about the Gears he changed his name to Sol and helped fight against them in a war called the Holy Crusades that lasted like a 100 years. But Sol is long lived since it turns out he accidently turned himself into the world's most powerful gear. But remember he's also a super awesome scientist and invented a super cool headband that limited his gigachad gear powers.

Then Justice came back, but Sol killed her, but then a secret cult ran by a crazy (and weirdly sexy) pope revived Justice again, but than Sol killed her again. With his son in law and daughter and his grandkid. 

This reads like one of those "Explain a film's plot badly" posts.

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

Isn't all the Valentines clones of his Sol's girlfriend? I'm still lost as to how he ended up with Sin. I swear, Sin growing up being a dumbass must have been payback against Ky for leaving him to raise his kid.

Yeah, kinda.

Sol wound up with Sin because Ky was under blackmail to turn into a puppet king because he put a baby in Dizzy, so the UN threatened to sic Chris Hansen on his loli ass. expose Dizzy was still alive and pretty much ruin his life.

Sin grew up as a dumbass because Sol is a Goku-tier parent. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Volt said:

Sol wound up with Sin because Ky was under blackmail to turn into a puppet king because he put a baby in Dizzy, so the UN threatened to sic Chris Hansen on his loli ass. expose Dizzy was still alive and pretty much ruin his life.

Speaking of explaining something badly...

2 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

Speaking of explaining something badly...

I wrote a short but accurate version, you wrote a wack fanfic bro. People that say that Story/Lore gotta take a backseat to gameplay usually don't know wtf they talking about when lore questions come up.  Don't lump me with the likes of you. 🤣

16 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Not as nice as the original, but still good and still I-No.

Jeah I honestly think the only underwhelming redesign is Leo's. His Xrd design was slim, bold and jagged, truly like an anime lion. For some reason he looks kinda... boxy in Strive. He looks like Leo who started eating too much junk food or sumpthin. 

3 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

From Sajam's chat at https://youtu.be/4GgC1ZeENfE?t=979 

* The wall break mechanic resetting to neutral

* Eddie being quicker to add & remove to play instead of call once & run 6 mixups

* Greatly reduced gatlings, hence, the barrage of normals that go on forever

...overall says the dev's intention is to prevent the franchise's previous snowball-y effect of one combo corners you where you then eat hellish mixups and die in two more touches.  

This is a good change, I think.  

I like playing Strive.

However the devs saying the changes were made to prevent a "snowball" effect is bullshit. 

Now you just die in two hits. lol

24 minutes ago, HonebamiX said:

Now you just die in two hits. lol

It's been said the damage is turned up high in the beta cause the devs are interested in tuning the online architecture, so, high damage = more matchmaking, more lobby time etc.    I don't know if the devs have stated this or if it's just internet supposition.

12 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

It's been said the damage is turned up high in the beta cause the devs are interested in tuning the online architecture, so, high damage = more matchmaking, more lobby time etc.    I don't know if the devs have stated this or if it's just internet supposition.

They also said that the GUI was a placeholder and yet here we are, the final GUI looking just slightly better thant the carap of the 1st beta 🤣

Edited by Hecatom
19 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

the final GUI looking just slightly better thant the carap of the 1st beta 🤣

That UI was truly cursed.

The current one is bad and uninspired, but the first one wasn't even functional.

Any expectations of when the patchnotes will be up? Just tryna see how bad they fucked up. 🤣

Just now, Jocelot said:

Prediction time

Do you think Dan will end up being better than Ryu and Kage?

No doubt about it.

Unless they made Ryu really buff. Or let him pack a glock from fortnite.

They legit seem to have nailed Dan on the fighting style. It's comedic and corny, but it's actually good instead of being straight up worse than Sean.