Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

6 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

That's my take on it too.  Didn't Fighting EX layer with it's non-existent budget manage to implement decent rollback?  Them's Fighting Herds did it as well.  SNK probably should be able to pull it off if these indie fighting games are doing it.  

Yeah at this point there are a decent # of small game teams that have managed to pull it off. Hell Tough Love Arena has rollback and that can't be a small team, and the game is totally free.

I feel like part of what "costs" means to these FG teams isn't just raw monetary costs. Even "big" FG teams probably aren't that large, and you gotta figure that if you were going to implement rollback correctly from zero it is going to "cost" you dedicated time of at least one person, probably more. So as a project you have to decide if you can afford the cost in either time (having someone on the team learn what to do and get through the learning pains of implementing rollback) or the raw cost of hiring outside help to save your team from being stretched.

In a way this global situation is a key time for companies to make this kind of shift. Locals aren't going to happen again for a long time yet and losing out on the ability to hold events hurts the sales tail on games (a lot of my excitement for SFV came from watching CPT, which turned into me staying with the game and buying stuff over the years even when my actual game time flatlined). Rollback allows you to at least hold online events, and of course for your players to continue playing each other. If you can't leverage that, it doesn't feel like it is even worth releasing a new FG this year.

GBVS sort of felt this. It came out and had a little time to shine, then lost a lot of momentum due to everything locking down. Imagine if that game launched with even a proto version of the rollback that ASW is set to deploy with Strive. For whatever good or ill features Strive may have, it is looking like the only modern Japanese FG that can continue to operate in a semi-normal capacity in 2021, and that is going to count for a lot when it comes to evaluating if it was worth the "pain" of implementing rollback for them in the first place.

Its fucked up but the pandemic is probably going to end up being one of the best things that could have happened for FG online QoL because it forced the issue so hard. 

Talking about old SRK poster brought out my :tldr: tendencies.

2 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

> Chun-Li and Juri's V-Shift cause them to move back farther than expected. → This is scheduled to be fixed in the first week of March

Looks like the vshift tier list with Juri on top was a dev mistake. 😂

Capcom "nerfing" Juri as usual. 😂 ) Can we get a faster sweep as compensation?! Least she should be able to follow up V-Shift better. )

Nemo ranked Juri and Bison' V-Shifts as going the furthest. I guess Capcom isn't gonna "fix" Bison.

Edited by HonebamiX
12 minutes ago, Skort said:

Getting only trash connections today and lost shitloads of points. Maybe it was a bad time to stream. 

I'm getting grabbed out of my cmd grab animation lol.  Why does the game give me 1 bar when i set it 3 to 5 ?

Blame Arceus. 

Leave it up to Juri to fuck his ass up and become the new Pokemon master. 

Ok fuck it, i'm done for today. Game just runs really bad today for some reason.    

Played about 2 hours and with the win / loss ratio i ended up pretty much the same spot point wise. 

This is what i call a waste of time 😮    

Maybe another day it will run smoother.

24 minutes ago, Skort said:

Getting only trash connections today and lost shitloads of points. Maybe it was a bad time to stream. 

I've just been playing a friend from the Netherlands - game didn't feel (especially, for SFV) laggy, but somehow we were each unable to even punish sweeps every time. I've seen a few other people complain about eaten inputs since the update, did you get that impression too?

Just now, JustBrowsing said:

I've just been playing a friend from the Netherlands - game didn't feel (especially, for SFV) laggy, but somehow we were each unable to even punish sweeps every time. I've seen a few other people complain about eaten inputs since the update, did you get that impression too?

Eaten input, rollback like crazy, i hear the hit, it rolls back and they block, the usual suspects. I legit got normal grabbed out of my cmd grab animation while i was cmd grabbing them a few times lol. 

5 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

What? No. No it won't. Game can be fun. Not when it's online. Please don't fool yourself. We have too much respect for you to allow you to sink. Play it if you want, but never, EVER, have hope.

I don't think i ever read someone saying so many correct things in a single sentence in my life.  

The sad truth.... 

Edited by Skort

I know it’s been discussed but it’s hilarious how bad Juri’s VT2 is. Full stores is just a shitty version of the unlimited releases of VT1 and the meter steal becomes way worse the second you’re full or the opponent has nothing. You get like 20s regardless of the actual meter stolen. Meanwhile VT1 drains super slow until you do anything.

Its like Capcom isn’t even trying. At least her VS use is a bit more competitive. 

Edited by Vhozite

It's a flawed concept that never should had past the sketch board.

She didn't need stores on activation. She needed multiple uses of the kick she does upon activation,the one that pulls the target towards her in order to allow Juri to repressure and stay close to steal the ex bar.

PS : the scaling on the stores is insane btw.

It’s always interesting to see what people who main a character think compared to me going in basically without an prior knowledge. Apparently Ken VT1 is preferred over VT2 and I’m honestly not sure why. Outside of activation it’s basically a small damage buff and a knockdown fireball. Meanwhile Shinryuken also gives more damage since it combos off everything, costs less, and also acts as an amazing anti-fb tool that he can now use 4 times. Neither really helps him open anyone up but I’d rather have the latter. 

5 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

It’s always interesting to see what people who main a character think compared to me going in basically without an prior knowledge. Apparently Ken VT1 is preferred over VT2 and I’m honestly not sure why. Outside of activation it’s basically a small damage buff and a knockdown fireball. Meanwhile Shinryuken also gives more damage since it combos off everything, costs less, and also acts as an amazing anti-fb tool that he can now use 4 times. Neither really helps him open anyone up but I’d rather have the latter. 

I think is a combination of preference and "sheep" mentality.

Nowdays you don't see many people straying to much of the preferred meta, even if they don't play competitively 🤣

Man I don’t care for Ryu but his buffs this season are *chefs kiss*. 

@VoltNot only does his s.hp reach farther than cr.mp, it’s also super easy to one hit confirm. You have a whole year to cancel into  any of his specials lol. Not only that, but it combos from f.hp and reaches at ranges cr.hp doesn’t. 

Also I know VT2 is the new sauce but his VT1 isn’t half bad either. VS1 restores time on it, and the extra frames on his punches gives SF4 level links. Dude can do 250 dmg /500 stun combos from his 3f jab for no meter going LMH lmao. You can also link s.mp to sweep at a range nothing else will reach and cr.mp to cr.mk.

42 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

To be fair I don't think a lot of Kens would have as much success using it as a punish or anti-fireball as you do, your reactions are really fast. I remember when you first picked Juri vs my Menat, you chose v-skill 2 and I thought "Man I'm glad he didn't pick v-skill 1." Then the next game you did and I thought "SHEEEYIT"

13 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

. I remember when you first picked Juri vs my Menat, you chose v-skill 2 and I thought "Man I'm glad he didn't pick v-skill 1." Then the next game you did and I thought "SHEEEYIT"

At first I wanted to play around with her VS2 buffs but then I ate enough orb normals and realized that was NOT the look for this matchup 🤣

14 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

To be fair I don't think a lot of Kens would have as much success using it as a punish or anti-fireball as you do, your reactions are really fast.

You and Pertho say this and I’m gonna tell you the same thing I told him. Most of my “reactions” are mostly anticipation based on what you’re doing or I’m hyper focusing on looking for one specific thing. 

Like yeah it’s fast but I’m also a lot more vulnerable to the things I’m not looking for. When I have Shinryuken loaded the only thing I’m looking for is a fireball or jump, but as a result I become free to things like dash throw. Pertho killed me like that a couple times the other day because I was tunnel visioning too hard.

That rock/paper/scissors aspect is a big part of becoming a better player. People are not robots who can be ready for any and everything without some kind of preparation, plan, or tell that shows what they’re looking for. When you’re playing you should be trying to figure out what the other is looking for on offense and defense so you can keep them on their toes.

29 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I like how Kage a good amount of combo freedom so it leaves room for hard, pointless flexing combos that I always end up practicing 😂

So for anyone interested, Kage EX.Tatsu got buffed to combo from lights. This gives him much better ex combos off light confirms. For example he can now burn meter on light confirms and get decent oki and ok damage with:

jab jab xx EX.Tatsu, IA.Tatsu (184/334)

Gives him enough frames on KD for two dashes so you’re right on top of the other guy if he backrises or not. The old combo:

jab jab xx L.Tatsu, EX.DP (209/353)

does like 20 more damage/stun but you don’t get shit for oki outside the corner. But in the corner he now gets his double hado combo off lights so there really isn’t a reason to ever use that now unless that 20/20 will kill or dizzy. 

Edited by Vhozite
13 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Lemme know when you finally release your retrowave synth videogame into the world I'll be first in line.

As soon as I convince Capcom to let me use Juri as the main character.

PS : I am trying to animate Juri riding a motorcyle on a looped highway I made that will feature a sunset effect from her front. Gonna do my best.

15 minutes ago, Flackaveli said:

I might have to learn some Honda they give this nigga nothing but buffs this season  mjlol.png

This is me and Ryu right now. Boy got nice buffs and now he has some nice toys to play with. He isn’t flashy but some of his stuff is really satisfying to land. 

Kage got good shit too but he didn’t improve to the same degree Ryu did because he already had some grease. I will say that I wish Ken got something a bit more exciting than an extra use of Shinryuken.

Juri: "Whoa, you're saying that Ryu guy got buffed? HA, HA!! Capcom just messin' around for shits and giggles now, eh?" 

ENLL1vbWkAAQx_F?format=jpg&name=medium

Juri: "I think I'm gonna go fuck with Chun-Li for a while on that stupid ass Fortnite game. Whatever its called. But, hold the fuck up. Do these kids even know what Street Figther... *IS?* Pffft, oh shit, these guys are going to give me some good laughs." 

21 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

I asked Nemo during his stream whether he was going to play Strive and he said no because of Potemkin 🤣

I really hope they don’t destroy Pot over all these complaints about him. Dude is one of the few big bodies I actually like. But even putting aside my bias there absolutely no way tier talks from a beta that lasted a week is a good source of balance feedback.