Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

7 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

While we wait for Rose here's a couple more pieces of art that I thought were cool:

qojuih1s1hq61.jpg

In black and white the Polish Prime Minister kinda looks like Leona. Interesting stuff.

Ex9uweiVgAMHOnk?format=jpg&name=medium

Best anime waifu.

Imagine if lucia costume was kinda inspired like that

6 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Im also 18. 

Oh. My. God. I'm very shocked of this, considering me commenting you on your looks. I thought you were at least in your late 20s. At least you're legal for me to not be as insecure. LOL!

You're so efficient on the perception of things for your age. You're ahead of your time, so I can respect that.

1 hour ago, Emptyeyes said:

I'm very shocked of this, considering me commenting you on your looks.

I don't remember this...

1 hour ago, Emptyeyes said:

You're so efficient on the perception of things for your age. You're ahead of your time, so I can respect that.

Thank you. Literature is important. I can only attribute my minimal perception to listening more than talking and reading to understand more than reading to respond. I don't have money, time or birth connections, so I can't afford to be wrong. That's why I take time to treat everybody in uniquely attentive ways.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:33 PM, Emptyeyes said:

My username typically represents my life from the inadequate range of emotional connections toward things and people, which I'm trying to improve on. It's also named after a depressed song by Within Temptation band.

Really? I thought you named yourself after the Kriegszittern song!

https://kriegszittern.bandcamp.com/track/empty-eyes

On 4/2/2021 at 9:44 AM, BornWinner said:

Look! A rare Necali fanart! Time to make a wish!

If you skim through the image, it kinda looked like Necalli was humping the sheep.

3 hours ago, Dayaan said:

I don't care about VF or DoA, but we all know eSports is a good thing, so I'm excited for the future. Guys..? Where are you all going? Guys..?

For real i haven’t played a non -phone game in a few weeks, let alone a FG.

My life is pretty boring rn. Everyday is some variety of exercise>work>sleep, tho I’m totally ok with that 👍🏽 

Edited by Vhozite
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

My life is pretty boring rn. Everyday is some variety of exercise>work>sleep, tho I’m totally ok with that 👍🏽 

Dude, I literally had nothing to do so I hit the gym. Fucking amazing. Just got back and hit 193bpm. Feels good.

5 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Dude, I literally had nothing to do so I hit the gym. Fucking amazing. Just got back and hit 193bpm. Feels good.

I forgot to reply to that cheeky post in the Discord server and wound up playing Among Us the whole afternoon.

I guess time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time?

Stares at KOF Allstar. No idea what you are talking about fam 👀

25 minutes ago, Volt said:

I forgot to reply to that cheeky post in the Discord server and wound up playing Among Us the whole afternoon.

I guess time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time?

It's wasted time if nothing productive is done. I'm enjoying Falcon and the Winter Soldier. In fact, episode 3 had my favourite MCU fight to date. But let's be real, the way I sometimes watch it is a waste of time. What's not a waste of time is going back to previous episodes and watching how they set up the current ones. I don't do this out of enjoyment, but rather, to build the skill of foreshadowing, storytelling and worldbuilding so that I can do better in AP Lit or even in debates. 

By the way, doing "nothing" can be very productive. It depends on what you do with that time. In Islam, God dislikes when man is not doing anything, but people think that means that you should be banging your head on the floor in servitude or always at work. That's so unhealthy, and it's also haram to be unhealthy on purpose. Instead, what He means is to take time to think about things, to meditate, to spend time with family or to invest in yourself or a hobby. These can be super relaxed things. Even just sitting and stargazing with a loved one can be deemed as doing nothing, but are you not strengthening your love and bond? Is that not the greatest thing we can do to each other?

Work hard, asshole. It's good for you. Just remember that there should never be anything even remotely close to wasting time. Invest in yourself. Become greater.

42 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Street Fighter V can get on my last nerves at times.

But whenever I stream, the game feels much more fun. I just got done streaming for about 4 hrs and I honestly had a lot of fun. I guess it's because I be so busy reading the chat and stuff.

Can't wait for the 6th.

Not gonna lie, I think it's cool when I check the CFN world rankings I see you near the top. That's damned impressive man.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Not gonna lie, I think it's cool when I check the CFN world rankings I see you near the top. That's damned impressive man.

Thanks homie. Whenever I find myself becoming irritated, I always remind myself that I came a long way. The thought alone helps a lot.

I''ve been using VT2 Cammy in most of my matches now. Her VT1 is still mad good, but I wanted to challenge myself with something different. VT2 is a lot of fun.

Since SF6 is incoming,

What are the things (accessibility, controls & game mechanics) that worry you that SF franchise would adapt from other fighting games but you feel being off for SF and would change it's genre?

What are also the things you worry that would return from previous street fighter games to be implemented in SF6? like ei: something similar to focus attack and etc

4 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Since SF6 is incoming,

What are the things (accessibility, controls & game mechanics) that worry you that SF franchise would adapt from other fighting games but you feel being off for SF and would change it's genre?

What are also the things you worry that would return from previous street fighter games to be implemented in SF6? like ei: something similar to focus attack and etc

I just hope the game won't have anything similar to the v system. Never been a fan of the v system.

5 hours ago, clandestine said:

I know Capcom certainly thinks it's hype, but it's BS for someone to be losing the round only to activate v trigger and steal the win instead of working for their comebacks.

I don't get this. I've lost to VT a lot, and only because it's VT, but it takes an understanding of what to buffer where, what your opponent is susceptible to in the matchup and the personal meta and what counteracts certain habits to optimise VT. A round won by a comeback mechanic isn't BS. It functions as necessary to me.

That's the reason I don't like Genei Jin. Shit is way too strong, and everyone knows that. It functions as necessary though, and everyone knows that my opinion doesn't matter. I accept it for what it is and move on. How could I possibly get annoyed at the shiny lights on my monitor not showing me the image I want to see? Who got hit?

10 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Having a selection of supers again would be nice. It would not surprise me if another form of v-skill occurs again, giving characters a special skill button or function is becoming very common.

I hope everyone had a good Easter.

11 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Since SF6 is incoming,

Tag and an increase in gatling, obviously. More to the point, leaning away from predetermined links and back into the old ways of giving players frame data to make shit out of would be cool.

I worry that parry will return in any capacity as a major mechanic. It will alienate people and introduce a humongous skill gap. Also I do not want to see VT or FA return. Alpha Counters suck too. For comeback mechanic, custom combo is something I'd like to see return. That shit sounds hilarious and I'm sure they can make it even more fun than in Zero.

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

I don't get this. I've lost to VT a lot, and only because it's VT, but it takes an understanding of what to buffer where, what your opponent is susceptible to in the matchup and the personal meta and what counteracts certain habits to optimise VT. A round won by a comeback mechanic isn't BS. It functions as necessary to me.

All of these things are significantly easier to figure out when your character gets handed at gun at 50% HP. 

Comeback mechanics are stupid because they create situations where the player that is closer to dying is not actually losing...a concept that runs completely contrary to the objective of the game (reduce the other guys HP to 0). It’s purposefully rewarding poor play, breaking the logical flow of the game, and diminishing the skill of both players just to rubberband the losing player back into the match in the most haphazard way possible.

I cannot think of a single irl competition that operates this way. Pro sports has solved the “problem” of comebacks yet FG devs seem hell bent on addressing it in the worst way possible.

Edited by Vhozite
20 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Comeback mechanics are stupid because they create situations where the player that is closer to dying is not actually losing...a concept that runs completely contrary to the objective of the game (reduce the other guys HP to 0). It’s purposefully rewarding poor play, breaking the logical flow of the game, and diminishing the skill of both players just to rubberband the losing player back into the match in the most haphazard way possible.

I strongly disagree. Comeback mechanics should enable survivability. They should not create a situation where the player with lower HP is not losing. That's what FG devs seem to think comeback mechanics are, but you and I know that they shouldn't be that. There's a difference between handing a swordsman a pistol in a gunfight and giving him a rocket launcher.

Purposefully rewarding poor play can be seen as a bit of a stretch, but I'm not going to argue this because I know you well enough to know you don't necessarily mean that universally or anything. I get what you mean, and you're right. This is an example of a shit comeback mechanic, and I can understand the sentiment. This is not how it should be. If we keep addressing the issue of something like VT with, "Don't reward poor play that much!" instead of addressing it properly, FG devs are going think they need to tweak existing mentalities and patches of the game instead of altering their entire perception of a comeback mechanic. The definition needs to be changed, not the implementation of the status quo.

This is, in my opinion, a dangerous approach.

9 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Comeback mechanics should enable survivability. 

I disagree...not because it’s a bad idea, but because I don’t think it fixes the real issue. The actual problem with these mechanics (VT, Fatal Blow, etc) is that they are reactive....they are solutions waiting for their problems to exist.

What FGs need is prevention. Ideal comeback need to be gradual speed bumps in gameplay that make running away harder for the winning player to begin with. Right now FGs are super fast and momentum based to the point where you can catch someone slipping one time and either put them in the blender or get a near insurmountable life lead. 

16 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

What FGs need is prevention. Ideal comeback need to be gradual speed bumps in gameplay that make running away harder for the winning player to begin with.

I like this sentiment a lot. Let's build on this. Maybe instead of prevention, we move to preservation? As in, preserving the value of tools beyond a certain health difference? I'm kind of shaky on adding movement slowing mechanics since I play an older fighting game, where these kinds of things matter a lot and I don't understand why advantage has to be ripped from an attacker.

We could just make it easy and make a normal ass fighting game without a comeback mechanic. Pure gameplay is nice too, you know.

38 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Day 1, baby!!

Hit me up. Think she is the only season 5 character I'm excited for. Been playing Ryu mean time. Its a trash Ryu but it makes the game feel kinda alright. Haven't practice hitconfirming anything or converting properly or v-trigger combos, but he gets there a little bit.

3 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Everybody loses to VT. That's the problem. You could play around ultras because they either needed meter to combo into them or they could only punish specific things. That was until Elena started her buffoonery.

Problem with VTs is that the high tier ones grant you more mix ups. You don't even have to wait for a hit. You have the the most optimal activation possible and then a bunch of not bads. At worse you have raw  activation. Raw activation isn't even that bad for a lot of characters either. Cammy can sit on v-trigger and jack up a fireball or a jump in for hella damage.

All those rounds won by v-trigger are almost always BS. The whole game was rigged solely to make it possible to do this silliness. How? They got rid of a core part of SF: Dying by chip damage from specials. Once you get to a certain level and you can depend on your neutral to win you back a little bit more, you can afford to burn one bar of v-trigger. But for the most part there hadn't been a lot of incentive to do it.  Right now you're getting a lot of v-shifts because they are new. Long term its going to be interesting how much they happen. Odds are that you'll have a have and have nots situation. Characters that can reliably build v-meter will v-shift aggressively while still doing v-triggers and other characters are gonna hold on to them nuts like always. So now the situation is even more lopsided for some characters.

V-trigger is usually either giving your opponent extra mix ups or extra damage he wouldn't normally have. So he gets to magically change a lot of interactions because Ono thought it was funny.  All the stuff you mentioned got sorted really fast for a lot of the "complicated" characters. The hardest v-trigger from its outset was Menat's v-trigger 1 . That thing had its basic mix ups and reset situation sorted out from the beginning. Hell it didn't even change much between characters because half the cast had wack options anyway.

VT's been functioning as what they are since day 1: a wack mechanic implemented in a terrible way.  V-triggers, air blocking, SF3 styled parries and Custom Combos are all mechanics SF that go straight into the 🗑️

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

I don't understand why advantage has to be ripped from an attacker.

It’s less about taking away the attackers advantage that they already have and more about not giving them an overwhelming advantage to begin with. 

In basketball, after you score the possession of the ball changes and the other team gets a guaranteed chance to run offense. Obviously teams go on runs, but generally speaking this makes it difficult for team A to build a huge lead over team B with the latter not having any chance to score and close (or at least maintain) the gap. FGs don’t officially have these traditional turns but we all know they exist when looking at frame data.

If we consider hitting the other guy akin to scoring, FGs have a huge snowballing issue where you score, skip the other guys turn, and in the process set yourself up to score again. I combo you, give up like 5% damage for an optimal oki ender, and I’m right on top of you again trying to break down your defense without you ever getting a chance. By the time you get some breathing room I’ve skipped your turn 3 times in a row and now you need something like VT to close the gap because you need to run offense for this one and all the times you missed. At their worst FG offensive options feature oppressive “vortex” style looping pressure that is basically just outside the neighborhood of RPG style stun locking in terms of efficiency. 

Possible hot take here, but the only rewards players need from a hit are damage and maybe bit of positional advantage gained relative to the corner. Anything much more than that and you’re needlessly stacking the deck in the winners favor in a way that will necessitate VT style mechanics (in the eyes of the devs) if you want the match to stay competitive. The focus should shift much more towards attack sequences that reset to neutral with the other guy still on his feet or end in an very modest amount of - frames so that the second guy gets a chance before things are desperate.

Edited by Vhozite
6 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

The focus should shift much more towards attack sequences that reset to neutral with the other guy still on his feet or end in an very modest amount of - frames so that the second guy gets a chance before things are desperate.

That's what Strive is doing with the way breaking the corners work. You get hilariously fat damage, then gain a meter advantage and it resets to neutral. As reset as you can get when your opponent has a massive meter advantage that is increasing as you work you way around too.

People love their oki and set play though. You got hit once? Then you deserve to lose 50% of your life and eat a 4 way mix up. If you don't like it, join a spelling bee.

12 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Hit me up. Think she is the only season 5 character I'm excited for. Been playing Ryu mean time. Its a trash Ryu but it makes the game feel kinda alright. Haven't practice hitconfirming anything or converting properly or v-trigger combos, but he gets there a little bit.

I don't play Ryu much but it's something satisfying about seeing him melt away health bars are being in a wheel chair the last three seasons. I've been playing a bit of Falke on my smurf account. That air fireball charge buff is something else. 

Ryu hitting harder is better, but I don't know if the character is overall better. It was a discussion I had with a homie who plays Ryu. I don't know that his losing match ups are better because he can special cancel st. fierce, but being able to shimmy with that button does fat damage.

Sure, Ryu hits harder, but now Rog can -4 from downtown and you're holding all of it. Don't think that was a good match up before but hey, now Ryu can actually hit him with his virgin anger.

It’s less about taking away the attackers advantage that they already have and more about not giving them an overwhelming advantage to begin with. 

In basketball, after you score the possession of the ball changes and the other team gets a guaranteed chance to run offense. Obviously teams go on runs, but generally speaking this makes it difficult for team A to build a huge lead over team B with the latter not having any chance to score and close (or at least maintain) the gap. FGs don’t officially have these traditional turns but we all know they exist when looking at frame data.

If we consider hitting the other guy akin to scoring, FGs have a huge snowballing issue where you score, skip the other guys turn, and in the process set yourself up to score again. I combo you, give up like 5% damage for an optimal oki ender, and I’m right on top of you again trying to break down your defense without you ever getting a chance. By the time you get some breathing room I’ve skipped your turn 3 times in a row and now you need something like VT to close the gap because you need to run offense for this one and all the times you missed. At their worst FG offensive options feature oppressive “vortex” style looping pressure that is basically just outside the neighborhood of RPG style stun locking in terms of efficiency. 

Possible hot take here, but the only rewards players need from a hit are damage and maybe bit of positional advantage gained relative to the corner. Anything much more than that and you’re needlessly stacking the deck in the winners favor in a way that will necessitate VT style mechanics (in the eyes of the devs) if you want the match to stay competitive. The focus should shift much more towards attack sequences that reset to neutral with the other guy still on his feet or end in an very modest amount of - frames so that the second guy gets a chance before things are desperate.

This is a super interesting post. I'll try and remember to break it down later when I have the time, but TL;DR for now is that I see what you mean and I agree with most of it.