Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

7 hours ago, Jurassic said:

Having a selection of supers again would be nice. It would not surprise me if another form of v-skill occurs again, giving characters a special skill button or function is becoming very common.

I hope everyone had a good Easter.

Oof, i am actually on the opposite camp.

I think that selectable supers/ultras/vtriggers, tc are a lame way to try to create "depth" since at least the way that capcom implements it, you usually end with a lot of options across the board that are never used.

Not to mention that characters end feeling incomplete because they get tools they need behind those fake depth walls, that or you have character gaining tools that don't offer value to a character and its archetype or general gameplan outside very gimmicky situations.

I think that it can be done right, but capcom has not shown me in any of the games with selectable options that knows how to do it tbh.

6 hours ago, Vhozite said:

What FGs need is prevention. Ideal comeback need to be gradual speed bumps in gameplay that make running away harder for the winning player to begin with. Right now FGs are super fast and momentum based to the point where you can catch someone slipping one time and either put them in the blender or get a near insurmountable life lead. 

Check out BBs Overdrive System.

I think it's pretty much how it should work for this sorts of mechanics.

Overdrive is accesable from the beginning at the match and can be canceld into, done in the Neutral or done on Block.

If canceld into or done from block, the duration of Overdrive is halfed.

Now Overdrive is also your Burst if you get hit.

But the interesting part is, the lower your health goes, the longer Overdrive will last, it also freezes the timer.

So while it can be used to facilitate a comeback, it can also be used to roadblock one. Especially since getting hit, while your opponent has OD active, you cannot Burst.

Oh and Overdrive basically turns your character into a Boss Character for 2-8 Seconds, depending on health and if canceld in or not.

5 hours ago, Hecatom said:

you usually end with a lot of options across the board that are never used.

I kinda agree with this. 

A lot of the time, there ends up being a clear cut better option. But also, if they're balanced well, it can be implemented well, or even if it doesn't, having a little extra customization at character select is always cool. 

But then again, when you're trying to explain stuff to a newcomer, having to pick a bunch of different stuff when you select a character can be intimidating. 

Like FEXL. What the fuck is a gougi??? 

EDIT: I actually think gougi is one of the best "groove" systems I've experienced in a fighting game, but it takes a minute and some lab time to figure out what you actually want to use 

Edited by KingTubb
10 hours ago, Sonero said:

Ryu hitting harder is better, but I don't know if the character is overall better. It was a discussion I had with a homie who plays Ryu. I don't know that his losing match ups are better because he can special cancel st. fierce, but being able to shimmy with that button does fat damage.

Sure, Ryu hits harder, but now Rog can -4 from downtown and you're holding all of it. Don't think that was a good match up before but hey, now Ryu can actually hit him with his virgin anger.

Ryu actually having V-Triggers is the biggest help to him IMO. He can actually play SFV now. 

8 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Not to mention that characters end feeling incomplete because they get tools they need behind those fake depth walls, that or you have character gaining tools that don't offer value to a character and its archetype or general gameplan outside very gimmicky situations.

It also makes the game see saw in pace. In other games where you have to build meter for an option, you can either stop them from doing it or find ways to play around it. They usually get the one extra tool in a natural way. A lot of the install v-triggers just completely ruin the match ups to make them temporarily lopsided for way too long of a time.  think its still the case that all of the best v-triggers are the ones giving you access to additional mix ups.

Hopefully SF6 doens't have any of this nonsense. I really don't need to see Bison or Balrog with surprise command grabs because somebody thought it was funny.

20 minutes ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

Ooooh god I hope rose is dumb as fuck.

Soul Satellite is one of her v-skills and she has an air fireball.

She is gonna come in with v-shift and an easy way to build v-meter. Its gonna be similarish to that new G hype where you just keep doing fireball xx VS2 to build v-meter and doing v-shifts for safety. If her normal anti airs are good, mad isn't going to describe things.

15 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Fuckin' hell. Just got back from doing curls and lat pulls. Feel like Colossus' nuts.

@Darc_Requiemwhat's your experience on weights? It feels great as usual to feel the burn, but I'm wondering how to optimise.

My brother would be the better person to ask but I prefer free weights to machine weights. They are FAR more effective. @PsychoblueWould be a good person to get advice from. He's put in a lot work and has been updating us in the fitness thread.

23 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

My brother would be the better person to ask but I prefer free weights to machine weights. They are FAR more effective. @PsychoblueWould be a good person to get advice from. He's put in a lot work and has been updating us in the fitness thread.

Link me to the thread, brother. I have been using a combination of both, but Final Destination freaked me out, so not large dumbbells for me 😄

2 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Fuckin' hell. Just got back from doing curls and lat pulls. Feel like Colossus' nuts.

what's your experience on weights? It feels great as usual to feel the burn, but I'm wondering how to optimise.

You didn’t ask me, but TLDR I agree with Darc. Free weights>machines. How it was explained to me: With free weights you have to use your muscles to stabilize yourself in addition to your exercise, while machines stabilize for you. If you ever go from machines to free weights but do a similar exercise, you’ll notice you can’t do as much weight because you need to divert some power to keep your form, posture, etc. 

I started off on machines because I found them simpler, but I’m slowly integrating more free weight exercises so I can be more well rounded. 

Edit: That said, the free weight area in my gym is always packed af, so if there is too many mfs over there I’ll definitely hit a machine for that same muscle area. I’ll also always use the leg press.

Edited by Vhozite
6 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

You didn’t ask me, but TLDR I agree with Darc. Free weights>machines. How it was explained to me: With free weights you have to use your muscles to stabilize yourself in addition to your exercise, while machines stabilize for you. If you ever go from machines to free weights but do a similar exercise, you’ll notice you can’t do as much weight because you you need to divert some power to keep your form, posture, etc. 

I started off on machines because I found them simpler, but I’m slowly integrating more free weight exercises so I can be more well rounded. 

Edit: That said, the free weight area in my gym is always packed af, so if there is too many mfs over there I’ll definitely hit a machine for that same muscle area. I’ll also always use the leg press.

Don't hesitate to give me shit or props when necessary. I can filter as necessary, so I appreciate any input. In this to learn and feel good, yeah?

On the point of balance, I never considered this. Might try to even out the workouts even more then.

20 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Don't hesitate to give me shit or props when necessary. I can filter as necessary, so I appreciate any input. In this to learn and feel good, yeah?

On the point of balance, I never considered this. Might try to even out the workouts even more then.

Hey I just started my journey only a few weeks ago I’m new to this too. I only know the answer to this because it came up a couple weeks ago when I was working out with a friend. 

1 minute ago, Vhozite said:

Hey I just started my journey only a few weeks ago I’m new to this too. I only know the answer to this because it came up a couple weeks ago when I was working out with a friend. 

I'd been a student athlete for a long ass time, but coming to America fucked me up. I went to the gym... and then I moved to a place where the gym is a five minute walk away. Unfortunately being raised in the UAE means that if I go out during the snow I'm at serious risk of dying, so I was always indoors. The very first clear day and I've started going again. Maybe I got stuff to teach you 😄 

32 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

E2411C14-C092-4B46-9153-8F7C959AA492.thumb.jpeg.d6ec12130272e0883e87cde16de5c24b.jpegLol what kind of logic is this 

"Our intent for the math class in our elementary school is to show the children that they can enjoy math without having to study. We intentionally left out explanations of how basic calculations work and what they're supposed to be used for."

- A teacher from a class that will reach adulthood without knowing how additions work

"Our intent for the introductory course in our workplace is to show the employees that they can enjoy work without having to know what their job is. We intentionally left out explanations of their assignments, requirements and the schedules for their completion."

- Someone about to get a lot of people fired

"Our intent for the elections in our great nation is to show the voters that they can enjoy democracy without having to know how to vote. We have intentionally left out explanations of where, when and how people are supposed to vote and what they need in order to cast valid ballots."

- Republican legislators

Edited by Phantom_Miria

after looking for a fighting game without the needs of time

I stumbled upon this

I'm  looking for a way to make time somewhat related to the narrative or being ditch but still has a way to make player engage with each other

Edited by Shakunetsu
9 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Our intent for the math class in our elementary school is to show the children that they can enjoy math without having to study. We intentionally left out explanations of how basic calculations work and what they're supposed to be used for."

- A teacher from a class that will reach adulthood without knowing how additions work

Except that's not really what's going on. If you boot up BBCF, Xrd etc and go through their tutorial mode, its long as hell. They probably looked at that and went "Alright, what are the core set of things we need to teach somebody to get them playing?"  It got discussed already but you don't need to know everything about a game to get started.  Instead of front loading people with system info, options etc, they very likely want to see if they can just get you enjoying the game as fast as possible. Its likely they may have gone too simple with it.

Not saying the game shouldn't have indepth stuff explained somewhere. Specially since there are no more game manuals anymore. But if I want a newcomer to learn enough to start playing and go off and see how he likes it, then you'd want to balance that out. Frontloading people with too much information is a thing, analysis paralysis is a thing etc.

Its one of those situations where people approach it "as a fighting game player" rather than break it down from other perspectives. Its why Tekken is "THE HARDEST GAME IN THE WORLD WITH KOREAN BACKDASHES ETC" when in reality, if you get a brand new person playing, Tekken is gonna hook people because you can teach them a few things that are easy to do and gives them a good feeling easier than teaching them an SF4 combo.

22 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

The logic is simple GGs and BBs Tutorials are super long.

Now I imagen they will shorten the whole thing and add what they left out to Mission Mode.

You know the single best thing they ever came up with Mission Mode.

That seems to be the intent with this statement.

image0.png

Get your feet wet with the tutorial mode and go deeper in with mission mode.

Dammit hawkingbard, I was gonna post that. Oh well, best for last!

StreetFighter2021Sci-fi_FantasySpecial-C

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Except that's not really what's going on. If you boot up BBCF, Xrd etc and go through their tutorial mode, its long as hell. They probably looked at that and went "Alright, what are the core set of things we need to teach somebody to get them playing?"  It got discussed already but you don't need to know everything about a game to get started.  Instead of front loading people with system info, options etc, they very likely want to see if they can just get you enjoying the game as fast as possible. Its likely they may have gone too simple with it.

Not saying the game shouldn't have indepth stuff explained somewhere. Specially since there are no more game manuals anymore. But if I want a newcomer to learn enough to start playing and go off and see how he likes it, then you'd want to balance that out. Frontloading people with too much information is a thing, analysis paralysis is a thing etc.

Its one of those situations where people approach it "as a fighting game player" rather than break it down from other perspectives. Its why Tekken is "THE HARDEST GAME IN THE WORLD WITH KOREAN BACKDASHES ETC" when in reality, if you get a brand new person playing, Tekken is gonna hook people because you can teach them a few things that are easy to do and gives them a good feeling easier than teaching them an SF4 combo.

Good to see you didn't become another number in the growing percentage of people who have abandoned forums!

I think players could always stop when they feel like it and start playing, and come back for the more advanced tutorials later on if they so wish. No need to nerf game tutorials now. Nobody likes finding out years after you could do a 720 without jumping because the developers decided to intentionallly leave out game mechanics.

Edited by AriesWarlock
14 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

No need to nerf game tutorials now.

They aren't nerfing them. They can't go into every design decision and how it applies to the grand scheme of them because that'd take too long. Its a question of how much they do need to teach you so you can play.

Cooking has a similar situation going for it. A lot of cooking tutorials from professionals start with knife skills. Gotta learn to do all this knife stuff before blah blah blah. Knife skills are fun to have (and they are fun to practice) but it isn't something you need from the jump. If you wanna get people cooking, working out some simple recipes to get them started is a better place than explaining a bunch of mid to high level cooking stuff.

If I wanna get you into baking, its easier to do cookies than to do bread. But if I'm trying to get you to bake, and I start with the hell that is making pastry from scratch and some of the recipes that require incorporating cold butter, you'll never wanna bake again.

So start off with a cookie and see how you like that whole mess.

I for one think keeping tutorials simple and pushing people towards a mission or trial mode to learn deeper mechanics is a good move. 

When I started playing fighting games, a lot of people said I should pick up SGs or UNIST cause they had great tutorials that covered a lot of universal FG mechanics. 

I ended up glazed over and not retaining half the info because it was so much information all at once. 

For a new player, both of those tutorials can take a couple hours. It turns the game into work and alienates a new player 

41 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Today is a special day for people that play fighting games.

image0.jpg

I understand why but it still hurts.

Now it makes even more sense why we see Oro and Rose gameplay apparently.

Well not getting my hopes up.

Even if she looks strong at first, we had dozens of characters who ended up as Garbage, but looked good in their first reveals......

I also won't install SFV and pay Capcom money.

Ngl, I was disappointed with how barebones the Strive beta’s tutorial was compared to Rev2’s, but like @KingTubb said above, I only retained a small chunk of the info... basically the different jump options and how gatlings worked. I never really thought about Roman cancels until I played Strive.

Reading ASW’s response and I get it and think it’s a good approach tbh. Get people playing the game and having fun. They can dig deeper if they want to, but won’t feel like they have to just to play

39 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Ngl, I was disappointed with how barebones the Strive beta’s tutorial was compared to Rev2’s, but like @KingTubb said above, I only retained a small chunk of the info... basically the different jump options and how gatlings worked. I never really thought about Roman cancels until I played Strive.

Reading ASW’s response and I get it and think it’s a good approach tbh. Get people playing the game and having fun. They can dig deeper if they want to, but won’t feel like they have to just to play

The last BlazBlue game I played was CP, and I went through the tutorial modes and man, it's a lot. I've been playing fighting games a long time but even some of the info there was badly presented and I had a hard time understanding it so I could only imagine how a beginner would feel. At the core, ASW games are pretty pick-up-and-play for the most part, what with the gatling system and all. They have a high skill ceiling, but part of that is all the mechanics that are in those games, so it's good they're pairing the tutorial down a bit because the reputation these games have for difficulty is unwarranted to a degree and the tutorials only perpetuate that.