Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

59 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I'm not the biggest KOF fan

me neither. If XV dropped last year and had sprites instead of 3D models, I'd probably pick it up, but since Strive is dropping in a couple months, I'm going to pass. 

And KOF just doesn't look good in 3D to me, at all. I dig a lot of the artwork and general designs of the characters, and I think they really benefitted from that SNK gradient heavy sprite style, but in 3D they all look like NPCs in a JPRG or something 

22 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

me neither. If XV dropped last year and had sprites instead of 3D models, I'd probably pick it up, but since Strive is dropping in a couple months, I'm going to pass. 

And KOF just doesn't look good in 3D to me, at all. I dig a lot of the artwork and general designs of the characters, and I think they really benefitted from that SNK gradient heavy sprite style, but in 3D they all look like NPCs in a JPRG or something 

Yeah I hear you on that. I think Capcom and SNK have both had a really rough time with the transition to 3D. ArcSys probably would have too but they straight up cheated.

KOF is actually in an especially bad spot for any kind of engine/art style shift because the game needs to have so many characters. Like you can't do the thing that most games do which is launch with a core and then build out to cut down on your workload; a "core" for KOF is like 30 characters. You definitely saw that with KOFXIV and while they did polish that game's visuals up there was only so much they could do with the base models and such.

EDIT: Actually we've already seen a really keen example of this with KOFXII. My understanding of that game is that it was basically just an engine transition game which eventually got us to XIII.

I think with some more iteration you could probably get a pretty slick looking KOF game in this engine. I think XV is a marked improvement already, though to your point the art style has fundamentally shifted in a way that maybe isn't the most endearing.

Old man yelling at cloud moment: the thing that drew me in to all these games back in the day was how fucking sick they always looked. There was a quality to the sprite work that feels totally lost in this modern era (ArcSys again mostly avoids that with their tech). Some of the better models in SFV kinda sorta get there but then they go all dead-eyed or have some awkward facet and it pulls me right out.

Edited by GetTheTables

I agree, the "hyperrralism" graphics used by Capcom and SNK suck.  Especially Capcom's creepy clay-is character models. I wish they would do something similar to what ARC is doing with GG.

And someone is gonna say "that's too expensive". Well SNK is now backed by all the blood money from Saudi Arabia's dictator, so put it to good use at least.

And Capcom has been ranking millions with their movies and Monster Hunter games. They can do it, dammit 🤬

Edited by AriesWarlock

I give SFV a lot of shit, but the artstyle is not bad. It needs a bit more refinement, but they've gotten a lot better since creepy pasta Ken and Babyface Vega.

Heck I would say since late Season 1 (Urien, Juri) they've been doing really really great with their models.

They should keep improving on that in my opinion.

They can adapt some small things from GG, for example Ramlethals Thigh Jiggles. 🤤

Edited by Mr.Cipher
1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

I agree, the "hyperrralism" graphics used by Capcom and SNK suck.  Especially Capcom's creepy clay-is character models. I wish they would do something similar to what ARC is doing with GG.

And someone is gonna say "that's too expensive". Well SNK is now backed by all the blood money from Saudi Arabia's dictator, so out it to good use at least.

And Capcom has been ranking millions with their movies and Monster Hunter games. They can do it, dammit 🤬

Blood money!? Jesus Chri- I mean Ya Allah!

Capcom is still trying to find a middle ground to the art style, kinda semi-realistic but has cartoony like silhouette.

I'm okay whether they stay trying to find harmony in those style but I prefer more arc cel shaded anime style.

It would still aged better because of being stylized but arc would aged more better

Edited by Shakunetsu

I have many issues with SFV. Art style is not one of them. 

I would not mind if they keep the same style but refine the visual quality of the models in the next title. Having that said i am curious how characters would look in a style similar to what ASW did for GG Strive. 

My bet however is that Capcom won't be doing that and they will play it safe and retain the style it has now, especially after the negative feedback they got from MvC Infinite,that was half dead on arrival, because of the art style alone.

Edited by Skort
Just now, Skort said:

My bet however is that Capcom won't be doing that and they will play it safe and retain the style it has now, especially after the negative feedback they got from MvC Infinite,that was half dead on arrival, because of the art style alone.

there were concept art of mvci which is more anime like arc sys but probably turned it down for the hyper realistic 

It's like Capcom is moving away with anime style because of the other anime games and it wanted to standout among the crowd of anime fghter but choices ends up bad

maxresdefault.jpg

the nearest would could thinking about anime style is TVC, TVC artstyled aged better than MVCI

unpopular opinion I like TVC artstyle than MVC3

tumblr_na6ryi8xN51sibomdo1_500.gif

79b85d101bcda9c8f4dec8d4f538b748.gif

tenor.gif

32 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

SoR4 DLC 

BRUH!!! I saw earlier today in the VGG thread. I'm stoked to play as Estel. 

Also, I'm pretty sure the other two characters are going to be Max and Shiva

dance dancing GIF by Neurads

Edit: I know he's not one of the "good guy" bosses, but I really want Barbon as a playable character.

Edited by KingTubb
37 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

there were concept art of mvci which is more anime like arc sys but probably turned it down for the hyper realistic 

It's like Capcom is moving away with anime style because of the other anime games and it wanted to standout among the crowd of anime fghter but choices ends up bad

maxresdefault.jpg

the nearest would could thinking about anime style is TVC, TVC artstyled aged better than MVCI

tenor.gif

Is TvC having a better artstyle than MvC3 really an unpopular opinion? If so, I'm in the minority with you. TvC's artstyle looked great.

@MattatsuBuff Police Waifu DLC!? I mean cool SOR4 is getting DLC.

1 hour ago, Shakunetsu said:

maxresdefault.jpg

tenor.gif

Morrigan looks amazing.  If Capcom made a new Darkstalkers that looked like this.....

7 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

KOF is actually in an especially bad spot for any kind of engine/art style shift because the game needs to have so many characters. Like you can't do the thing that most games do which is launch with a core and then build out to cut down on your workload; a "core" for KOF is like 30 characters.

Ironically, out of all games, Pokémon got that nonsense right.

When you got too many models and animations to work on, you make sure the common effects look great. SNK made sure the priority was the models, and whenever we see whatever the hell that fire is, the game doesn't look good at all.

5 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

I give SFV a lot of shit, but the artstyle is not bad. It needs a bit more refinement,

Ladies and gentlement, we have just seen Cipher give props to SFV. 🤯

I agree with him tho, I can give SFV props for trying to do its own thing, but it really, really needs work. The huge hands and feet just aren't necessary tbh. The hair is also pretty rough across the board.

4 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Precisely.

Tekken is ruling the hyperrealistic style with an iron fist. ArcSys' artstyle earned them not only damn near universal respect, but a partnership with Bamco for a DBZ game. Just because Xrd looked that damn good.

Strive went even further beyond by not really emulating sprite animation, so it got that real 3D flow to match how excellent the artstyle looks.

Capcom lost the biggest niches it could've gotten in terms of artstyle and it's still trying to find itself.

TvC is definitely one of the best-looking FGs they got in the 3D era tho, but then again... can't run with that look with Strive out there.

1 minute ago, HeavensCloud said:

Oh I love the a-cho channel.  One of the best fighting game channels for retro games on youtube.  High level 3rd strike, Alpha 3, Garou, KOF 98, yes please!

Awesome! 😄

You know I still have a hard time identifying players on A-Cho. I stick to Inouero and Koenji Cube. Inouero has Deshiken, and Cube has my friends from Japan! Sick places to watch 3S.

Just now, HeavensCloud said:

Yeah, I have no idea who the players are.  I'm just like "oh the purple Yang is back, he's good".  

I'll ask the next time it comes up. I know some of them speak English, and I know Shodokan is like me in the sense that for characters he cares about, he can identify players by their colors and styles...

2 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

I don't know - wtf is this character even doing?

Plays some footsies, throws some projectiles and either:

1) forces you into a 50/50 with his install super that leads to a fat juggle or

2) lights you up with unblockables.

If you don't have a good way to anti air, he may or may ot double jump like a scoundrel because reasons. It ain't much but its honest work.

2 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

LOL, same.  Loved watching Alpha3 on there back in 2010 or so with some cheese & crackers or olive bread + balsanic dip or whatever "life is grand"  snack.   That was luxury. 

We're about to experience that this weekend with UFC, innit. Man isn't combat a beautiful thing? I love arts and paint demos, but there is something to be said about peak physical condition fighting peak mental conditions...

3 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Haha, I didn't think I'd ever see a reference to A-Cho here...Good stuff. 

Anime crew know that name as well y'know... Good times.

2 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

Yeah, I have no idea who the players are.  I'm just like "oh the purple Yang is back, he's good".  

It's always nice to be able to identify certain players by just the color and a couple seconds of gameplay.

10 hours ago, Volt said:

Precisely.

Tekken is ruling the hyperrealistic style with an iron fist. ArcSys' artstyle earned them not only damn near universal respect, but a partnership with Bamco for a DBZ game. Just because Xrd looked that damn good.

Strive went even further beyond by not really emulating sprite animation, so it got that real 3D flow to match how excellent the artstyle looks.

Capcom lost the biggest niches it could've gotten in terms of artstyle and it's still trying to find itself.

TvC is definitely one of the best-looking FGs they got in the 3D era tho, but then again... can't run with that look with Strive out there.

Even some even thought that Capcom didn't choose cell shaded anime style because of the costume DLC possibilities and limitation, which kind a misconception.

The thing is DLC costume are still possible to cell shaded anime style that are commonly used even before XRD's engine was ever created and became popular as a comparison or a standard for cell shaded anime like in games.

What some didn't realize to be specific and exclusive with XRD's engine/technology is the 2D feel in the  animation and dynamic attribute not the cell shaded anime style which can be done in other engine as well prior to XRD's engine.

So it's kinda Capcom can really have anime cell shaded style and with DLC costumes too but without the dynamic attributes and animation trying to emulate 2D feel just like other anime cell shaded games before XRD's engine existed but they choose not to, because they wanted it to standout.

Edited by Shakunetsu

What if's super input for SF6 would be change to be similar to Mavhel like games,

for example if the exection from QCFx2 P change to QCF LP+MP or MP+HP

Does that cause a huge or slight change to the fundamentals of gameplay for an SF?

Thank you very much

Edited by Shakunetsu
20 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

What if's super input for SF6 would be change to be similar to Mavhel like games,

for example if the exection from QCFx2 P change to QCF LP+MP or MP+HP

If you use that motion for supers, then you're commiting to no EX moves. Otherwise EX moves are gonna have a funky input like motion +  LP+LK or some other unnatural button combo.

7 minutes ago, Sonero said:

f you use that motion for supers, then you're commiting to no EX moves. Otherwise EX moves are gonna have a funky input like motion +  LP+LK or some other unnatural button combo.

I forgot EX moves haha 🤦‍♂️

I mean if EX moves were Map differently like to LP+MP and supers were like to MP+HP 

or something if EX moves didn't exist in SF6. like does it make comboing does a conflict with the ordinary special to the super moves or etc?

I should have rephrase it into, Is there something beneficial and convenient with QCFx2 motion supers for future SF games

Edited by Shakunetsu
1 minute ago, Shakunetsu said:

I mean if EX moves were Map differently like to LP+MP and supers were like to MP+HP 

It isn't an issue of super motion, its about the game design. in A2 and A3, a lot of low level supers basically act as fancy EX moves. Level 1s do good damage for what they are but they kinda act like that. In A2, Nash is going to spend bar on his projectile super in similar ways as he would in SF5.

This question is really one about how you would allocate moves. If your game is going to have only supers, then its fine. If you want just EX moves, that's fine too. If you want both, then you have to work out which motions to use for either.

For SF, it isn't an issue of changing fundamental SF. There are mechanics that really put how you play SF on its head. It'll make supers easier to do an easier to cancel into, but it doesn't exactly break the game. The issue will be how quickly do you get that super. Also would the super have any of the usual SF capcom invincibility of the last two years ( don't remember if supers had wholesale invincibility in SF4 but Ultras did; they do in SF5 except for...Vega's IIRC).

Just now, Sonero said:

For SF, it isn't an issue of changing fundamental SF. There are mechanics that really put how you play SF on its head. It'll make supers easier to do an easier to cancel into, but it doesn't exactly break the game. The issue will be how quickly do you get that super. Also would the super have any of the usual SF capcom invincibility of the last two years ( don't remember if supers had wholesale invincibility in SF4 but Ultras did; they do in SF5 except for...Vega's IIRC).

I was thinking and I thought there is something that might made it on purpose to stay the like that way of execution to avoid conflict on combo stuff to be precise and different in motion to the ordinary special version. I was wrong.

Thanks for clarifying

Edited by Shakunetsu