Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

49 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Got the Pfizer vaccine against Alex players. They also hooked mixed in some CoVid relief in it too.

Now I ain't gotta worry about that unmasked gorilla getting me sick when running sets with you guys 

🙏

You could have gotten herd immunity if only you would have become an Alex player though.

Edited by AriesWarlock

That's a bummer.to hear about PsychoBlue that dude has done so much. It's a shame the FGC lets people who contribute nothing have a say over the folks who actually do. FGC is shit because those people are given a voice moreso than because of the bad things people do. There are so much more of the former than the latter. 

For the record, I like the SFV match talk in here. Almost makes me think about picking up the game sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

the BBCF is really to play games with Cipher or Volt, or whoever in PC land wants to play.

Got +R too? It'd be nice to run games with you on a netcode that actually works.

Totally understand how you feel about SFV, eventually, that game was stressing me out so much that I was legit getting sick over it. That's when I decided to drop it for good.

Meanwhile, I get folded like a chair in +R and it's all fun and games. I actually already got twice the win rate % in it compared to SFV Ranked and I've played more +R matches than SFV Ranked ones.

2 hours ago, Reticently said:

Man, all this Alex hate.  Sure, his model is ugly, and sure he lets scrubs unga some games from you.

But at least he keeps Alex players from picking up Birdie or Honda and doing similar but better shit to people.

Yo honestly fuck every character mentioned in this post. Don’t like any of em. But yeah I think I hate Alex a bit less than the other 2.

12 hours ago, GreatDarkHero said:

I still can't quite understand what Alex is even supposed to *do* in this game. I don't understand the plan. 

He *is* a grappler but his move pool seems a bit... bizarre or too strange to say the least. It is likely just me though. 

I get that he's from the same 'mobile grappler' archetype as T.Hawk, where the mobility comes from specials rather than walkspeed.  And his elbow & stomp being +oB means he theoretically "doesn't have problems getting in" like a Zangief.   So I assume the devs deem his style to be get in for a strike/grab guess-what, and you don't need oki cause you're "good at getting in".  Even his strikes have a guess in if it's a quick button like characters usually do or it's that buffed-to-the-moon st.HP (?)  that still allows keeping his turn + having "hard hit" property for good damage besides the Big Grappler Throw.    And then a jumping knee special to deal with those who jump away to avoid the strike/throw.  

I think he's a better character than Hawk, if only because Alex has usable buttons and his specials don't get him killed if they touch a block.

Maybe our local Alex army can elaborate. 

5 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Games are games, so it's whatever, but I'm never gonna make it to gold at this rate

4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

random SFV sets stress me the F out, and I’m already too stressed these days.

I tried Casual Battle once and got a Bison who was doing the "fight a match by using one button" exercise.  

Yeah F that, back to Ranked I went. 

I wasn't stressed at all throughout the evening by Ranked.  (After 2 hours my face was hot and my hands cold, but that's it.)  Granted, I...

1) am only Bronze / Super Bronze so there's not a lot to lose 😆 

2) am just really happy I get to play a videogame for a stretch at all

3) have been a strong enough player in the past to not worry about it + see multiple reasons why I lose each time.  Usually flubbing a move or guessing wrong, but also I have to polish & optimize BnBs, punishes, etc. and learn my new BFF Akuma's ranges & neutral.   Better punishes = fewer guesses, better neutral = force mistakes = more opportunities for punishes.

But I'm also fine with being wherever the ranked system wants to put me.   I come for a good fight, not for a trophy.   

As a matter of fact my best match of the evening was a back-n-forth vs an Alex.  Last game last round I flub the chip-out super.  Oh well, GGs, in what way was my execution off, add it to the pile of everything I'm polishing in every game. Next match.

But then Alex flubs his punish.  Toe-tap I win.  Oh my LOLs.   Quoth the Gouken, "Ranked points is but an illusion." 

I'm trying to polish my play to the point I'm happy with it.  I just use ranked to get people who are fightin' not playin'.

Edited by Pair of Rooks
8 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Only EX Stomp is safe on block. IIRC it's +2. Regular stomps are punishable on block. You can space LK Slash Elbow to be safe I think it's -4. Flash Chop is safe on block. @Hawkingbirdis probably the best person to address this.

Flash chops ain't safe. They are also -4. What keeps it safe is the pushback and doing it from max distance. Ryu and Ibuki can easily punish a flash chops with light kick.

Yep, normal chops aren't safe (-4), though you can usually space them out of range where you have to worry about most punishes.  Ex chop is, I want to say -2... but will usually be spaced about the same anyway.

Only light elbow is safe (-2).  It's the end of his turn though, and he's probably in jab range at that point.  Other elbows range from  -4 to "go get your grandma to come in the room and punish this for you".

Normal stomp is unsafe-ish, ish being that he has a last active frame box that hits a bit differently and is either safe or hard to punish.  You can tell when he got that frame to hit when he's practically on the ground before it connects with you, only happens when he lands a little bit in front of you instead of on your head.  Ex stomp don't try to punish, it's still his turn.

3 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

What's a NFT?

I don’t believe that “leak” about using NFTs at all, but from what i understand, an NFT is like buying a tweet with crypto-currency.

the idea was artists can sell their work now, but you buy the tweet, not the art itself, so i think the artist still owns the actual art, and theres nothing stopping others from screenshotting the tweet or saving the image.

Twitter also has a “tweet image” feature, which makes it look like you upload it yourself, but it’s basically a retweet and still tied to the original source tweet, and i read that someone bought a tweet like this, but the source tweet was deleted, so the purchased tweet had a broken link in it.

I could be way off, or there’s more to it, but, basically, everyone thinks it’s a stupid idea and writing this whole bit was stupid of me because NFTs will be a thing of the past in a very short period.

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

What makes NFTs worse than other crypto is the massive power consumption that it needs. It will legit damage the environment. 

To all those who invested in NFTs knowing this, please remove yourself from our reality. Just cut your wrists, and make sure to go vertically.

There's a difference between leaving the lights on on purpose and coming back to it in 5 mins after you forget, and then there's running your own private coal mine. Go fuck yourselves. If this is your first exposure to this information, back out. Please.

6 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Yes sir! I haven’t actually played it yet and am not sure how well it runs, but I’ve been meaning to get into it, so we can try it this weekend or so, if you’re around.

If you can run BBCF at all, odds are you'll be able to run +R, don't worry about it.

17 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I’m surprised no one could tell it was a fake as soon as it said “platform fighting game” 

I’m like 99.99% sure that riot said it was a classic style 2D fighter. 

man... I really really hope it’s not a platform fighter. 

It's not. We've seen... something about it. Dunno if it was screenshots or what, but it was very obviously a 2D fighter. It's been a while.

10 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Alright, who is playing tonight?

I plan to, but was also planning to do more ranked while I nurse this baby Akuma.  Unless @KingTubb@Mattatsu@Voltare on who are a little closer to my level. 

EDIT and GGs for the previous games Perth / Hawkingbird / Vhozite, sorry i didn't get to stay on long but i was way outclassed anyway.

Edited by Pair of Rooks
5 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I plan to, but was also planning to do more ranked while I nurse this baby Akuma.  Unless @KingTubb@Mattatsu@Voltare on who are a little closer to my level. 

EDIT and GGs for the previous games Perth / Hawkingbird / Vhozite, sorry i didn't get to stay on long but i was way outclassed anyway.

I'd rather shit a knife than deal with SFV's netcode ever again. 🤣

Unless I'm at work, I'm down for some +R pretty much any time tho.

GGs @Yiceman

Things started out a little bit shaky but you got your bearings at towards the end. Well bearings or you got really mad. By the tone of your post, it seems that you were a bit on the livid side.

Last time I played you back when you were rocking  Sakura, I was really impressed with you gameplay. I talked to Vhozite about it but then forgot to post. Sakura has an amazing walkspeed and the most ridiculous 4 frame button in the game. But you sort of knew how to place that 4 frame button really well. With Rose it feels like you're struggling to find your bearings in walking. I haven't bought Rose yet so I'm not sure if her walkspeed is ass or what's going on with her normals. But it definitely feels like that part of it isn't jelling well.

As for the games, there are some big overarching features of the games that are dictating the outcome. We both have fireballs and we're fighting over that on the ground. The difference is that I'm fighting with fireballs with a purpose: I want you in the corner. You are trying to stop me from getting in. Papa HighlandFireball had a good video on zoning. One of the most important take aways I got from it (and one that's really important to this game) is that you should claim the ground that you gain from zoning people out. So If I land on a fireball and back rise, you should walk forward and get that space.  At the moment your Rose isn't doing that. You're content with being on that side of the screen and trying to win that way.

That's fine and all but there are some issues with it. First and foremost, you can't win with regular chip wins. That means that just tossing fireballs from half/full screen isn't going to win it by itself. the other is that the longer you're stationary, the more time I have to make a read on a jump in or a dash.  If you aren't checking the skies too well, I can use any jump in landed to start an offense (landed doesn't mean that it hit with a combo; if I make you block, I'm still landing with plus frames and you have to make a decision on tick throw,  frame trap etc).  Keep in mind, too, that by not pushing me to the corner, you also aren't gaining stage ground to use to back away to a more comfortable situation. If you don't press forward, then you're keeping yourself closer to your corner (which is where you don't want to be regardless of game).

I'll have to buy Rose to give you more insight on things you could be doing. If the Ryu is using Vskill 1, you can't just let him get Gorilla Juice from full screen. Ryu's VT2 does comically large damage even from cr.mk xx hadouken xx VT2 attack. In this case playing it a bit closer and using her normals that go over lows, you'll have a better time. Its even more pertinent for Rose since she can do safe drills from some distances. I'll have to buy Rose and give you a guide for it, but you can pester people by forcing situations where they just have to eat the chip damage and their normals won't reach.

Yeah, don't be too passive in the gameplay. Gotta move forward at some point or another.  You're really good at finding times to jump in. Just take some time in training mode to sort out some combos and post knockdown pressure. not sure if she gets any oki out of a drill hit, but its worth exploring.

8 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Yes sir! I haven’t actually played it yet and am not sure how well it runs, but I’ve been meaning to get into it, so we can try it this weekend or so, if you’re around.

Add me to the list of people to ping if you want to see how +R runs. 

It's hopefully lightweight enough to work out for ya. +R has been fun as fuck and its got solid netcode under the hood which is nice (though at least between us we've always had solid connections in Xrd).

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Things started out a little bit shaky but you got your bearings at towards the end. Well bearings or you got really mad. By the tone of your post, it seems that you were a bit on the livid side.

Not at all, I really do mean it when I say I generally handle losing well. I wasn't mad in the slightest. But I can get demoralized after too many smashings, for sure. If I'm not having fun anymore it's time for a break.

That's some really good insight on using the fireballs to take screen space though. I'll try to keep it in mind, but right now I'm still more concerned with how often I'm accidentally hitting cr mp to anti-air because I've played too much Poison. Once I've played Rose enough that I'm hitting the buttons I mean to hit consistently, I'll move on to fancy things like actually having a gameplan or strategy 🤣

I hope you're at least getting something out of playing me and it's not just a waste of time on your part though. I'm trying to at least make it interesting.

I don't really play Rose so much as have just messed around with her a bit, but I think against other zoners she doesn't want to fireball clash too much because her frames don't seem to favor that. 

I think she wants to mix in a healthy amount of jump fireball to take the opponent out of their rhythm and work her way to the range where ex spiral will blow up the opponent on reaction to their fireball.

18 minutes ago, Reticently said:

I don't really play Rose so much as have just messed around with her a bit, but I think against other zoners she doesn't want to fireball clash too much because her frames don't seem to favor that. 

I think she wants to mix in a healthy amount of jump fireball to take the opponent out of their rhythm and work her way to the range where ex spiral will blow up the opponent on reaction to their fireball.

You want to mix in Soul Punishes. Not only do they nullify fireballs but they'll still hit your opponent. You well placed Soul Punish will negate their fireball, hit them, and by the time they recover your next Soul Spark is half way across the screen. I fought a Sagat and I could tell I blew his mind when he realized I could cancel out his Tiger Shot and hit him at the same time..