Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

59 minutes ago, Skort said:

v-skill 1 nullifies fireballs

Yeah, forgot about that, add it to the list.

I think the reason why she struggles against so many characters is because her zoning relies entirely on fireballs and nothing else. If you look at other zoners in this game, you have Guile, who can play the midrange just as well because of his ridiculous normals ; Dhalsim, who has superior mobility to any other zoner and plus frames on everything ; Menat without hurtboxes and a stupidly powerful comeback V-Trigger ; Poison who doesn't use fireballs at all and is probably the best zoner for that reason alone ; Falke, who can put a big STOP to some of the most unga stuff in the game due to her excellent defense.

Sagat is the only other zoner who's extremely reliant on fireballs for his zoning and people hardly call him top tier either. He does have better corner carry if he lands a combo though and I think a DP is arguably better than Soul Bind, despite the frame advantage Rose gets when landing it.

SFV as a game is just designed to not give a shit about fireballs. They tried giving Rose a bunch of them to compensate but when a lot of characters can just flash yellow across the screen that's not helping much. Just think about it: V-Skill 2, Spark and Punish can all be on the screen at the same time and Cammy just needs to press 236 + Kick buttons to say "lol".

I know it's early and I don't want to downplay, but it'll probably take someone like Sako to make Rose shine (he kind of is already) whereas every other payer will get frustrated as you have to put in n-times as much work just to keep up.

Edited by delete_me
2 minutes ago, delete_me said:

SFV as a game is just designed to not give a shit about fireballs. They tried giving Rose a bunch of them to compensate but when a lot of character can just flash yellow across the screen that's not helping much. Just think about it: V-Skill 2, Spark and Punish can all be on the screen at the same time and Cammy just needs to press 236 + Kick buttons to say "lol".

Yeah, that's ultimately the worst thing about the whole deal for Rose tbh. 

3 minutes ago, delete_me said:

Falke, who can put a big STOP to some of the most unga stuff in the game du to her excellent defense.

Now that's the first I've ever heard of that.

In terms of defense, Falke actually has it rough. No 3f, a fairly slow DP (EX is 12f)... Her VR is pretty good hitbox-wise, but it's still 17f, dunno about Shift because I haven't played S5.

What Falke actually has is a pretty nice array of pokes, a pretty nice low shot, and an underrated air game. It's really hard to AA Falke because she got a divekick, an air fireball, and just a bunch of big buttons.

So basically, her zoning is also not that reliant on chucking plasma.

FWIW, Justin replies to Champ in that same Twitter thread that he thinks Rose is a little better than Champ does, and points out that Champ is pretty much exclusively using teleport while Justin is all in on shadows.

Honestly, situations where her teleport makes a real difference in round outcomes aren't really all that common, so giving up her best pressure and damage tool probably does make her struggle even more than she already would have to.

Edited by Reticently
Just now, Reticently said:

Honestly, situations where her teleport makes an honest difference in round outcomes aren't really all that common, so giving up her best pressure and damage tool probably does make her struggle even more than she already would have to.

Pretty much entirely different tools tbh. That definitely does make a lot of difference.

But yeah, from the looks of it, Illusion is definitely the good old VT Robbery Meta trigger.

22 minutes ago, Volt said:

In terms of defense, Falke actually has it rough. No 3f, a fairly slow DP (EX is 12f)... Her VR is pretty good hitbox-wise, but it's still 17f, dunno about Shift because I haven't played S5.

There's a lot of stuff other characters just have to hold, like Cammy's divekick during Trigger, Bison's EX Devil's Revers, Rashid pressure etc. that Falke can just blow through with EX DP while blocking. The last part in particular is huge. And as slow as it might be, it can still work as a deterrent. Simply having a reversal is sometimes better than using it. Plus the usual V-Reversal and V-Shift shenanigans, because let's be honest, Falke doesn't really rely on her Triggers too much.

I rarely felt threatened in the Cammy matchup with Falke for example, whereas I'm almost applauding Rose for not committing suicide on the VS screen when I run into her.

As for Rose's Triggers, I'm not sure what to think of yet. Illusion is definitely better on paper, but you absolutely need to hit-confirm it or AA with it. Which I'm too bad to do consistently. Teleport at least gives you some value when you activate it off a blocked sweep for example. You can do a little Dhalsim mixup or make a dumb EX Drill safe or something. If you activate Illusion on sweep your opponent will just block it out or not quick rise (if the sweep hits) at which point it will have drained by 50% already. So yeah, great Trigger for great players. I'll noob around with Teleport for the time being.

Edited by delete_me
35 minutes ago, delete_me said:

you absolutely need to hit-confirm it or AA with it

Idk, I mean- it's certainly better on confirm or AA, but even on block everything becomes plus so you can grey damage like crazy and smart opponents will become highly motivated to burn a v-reversal or just take the throw.  That's obviously not the optimal use, but for two bars it isn't that bad either.

Personally I want to like teleport better because I like having more tools.  But its mix-up and damage potential are both too tame for the at best 2 uses and short timer that it's on.

Edited by Reticently

Can she teleport in front of people? After some games I just started waiting for Yiceman's teleprot and punishing that.

Teleport doesn't really feel much better than the big shimmy disincentive. Rose's throw range is gorilla big. When she corners somebody with v-trigger, you are gonna be eating hella throws to her.

12 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Can she teleport in front of people?

She has three teleport targets- right behind grounded, right behind up in the air, and screen corner grounded no side switch (if that makes sense).

So the left-right mix-up is weak, and the recovery on teleport means that for mix-ups she pretty much needs to have some type of projectile active in the set-up.  I think the screen movement or lack there-of make gauging the teleport target kind of reactable.

Edited by Reticently

Its kinda funny they gave some characters a lot of stuff but, Rose seems to have a hard time mixing people up. Not that you need an overhead to be successful in this game. Cammy has been S to A tier based on shimmies and whiff punishes alone. But Rose isn't going to necessarily threaten you with her speed.

After playing a few solid Roses, what might happen is whiff traps and chip pressure. She has some ranges where she can poke away with spiral and spark. It won't get the kill, but it will definitely force you to do something about it. I'd have to lab it, but she might be able to force people into similar amounts of panic.

15 minutes ago, Volt said:

What could possibly make them do this?

Is it/he something to do with this pile of crap? 

Edit: Seems maybe likely this is related to that, this new "Esports Certification Institute" charges $400 for the honour of sitting one of their exams, and some of the strange folk asking to be blocked by him are saying they'd saved $400. Other than that though, no bloody idea.

Edited by JustBrowsing
1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Obligatory masochism.

Can we get our resident Warlord to give us his hot take on Rose?

Honestly, she's much better than I originally thought. Watching Sako, Justin, and Nephew made me realize that, along with putting more hrs into her.

You just have to really know the spacing with her and not throw normal's out all willy nilly. 

Sorry for missing your invs. I got you this week/weekend for sure.

16 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Y’all talking big trash on NRS like the last Marvel game wasn’t garbage ass Infinite lol. That being said, they wouldn’t be my first choice for a Marvel fighter. I would want something a bit more flashy than an Injustice reskin.

@DayaanUltimate Alliance 1 and 2 were fucking amazing. Not sure what happened to the series...everyone I know who played these games loved them. 

Spider-Man had a couple solo gems as well. Web of Shadows was great, but this was one of the first video games I was really into as a kid. 

image.jpeg.38ed922972bbfb6ebd46102e75405289.jpeg

This game was fire even without a memory card.

Back when the name “Activision” didn’t remind you of skid marks on paper. 

Hell yeah, brother. Those games were fire. I was just going out of my way to name the Spider-Man GBA games I played, but even on the GBA there were so many more Spider-Man games I played... The one you posted is sick, but there are so many more even beyond that. PSP and later had Web of Shadows, Friend or Foe, Spider-Man 1, 2 and 3, Shattered Dimensions, Edge of Time and more... These are all classics in my eyes. Like who fucking remembers seeing "Activision" and going, "Aw shieeettt." And then you see "Beenox" and you're like, "AW SHIEETTT." 

Good times...

Just like in Last Blade 2, there are two paths you can take with Hibiki in SamSho’s story. A normal run through will give you good-girl Hibiki, however killing 6 people with SSM and WFT will make her into a psychopath. Doing so will change her dialogue, animations, and ending.

Both good girl and psycho Hibiki can be selected in versus mode.

43 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

You just have to really know the spacing with her and not throw normal's out all willy nilly. 

Ryu can sweep her cr.mk for free.  I nailed DarcRequiem a few times. Haven't checked to see if she has other normals that whiff punishable.  Her cr.hp anti air is out of control. Hard to cross it up at times.

Seems like she has a terrible match up against Cammy the moment she gets one EX bar though.

Just now, Volt said:

A Smasher friend of mine is getting into GGS and when he saw the changes, he had a lot of questions. Dude is very smart, and we had long discussions about trip guard, the metagame surrounding AAs with air blocking and what impact it has on the ground game. This is a really good visual indicator...

I remember when Poison was on the bottom of people's tier lists 2 weeks after she came out too. It doesn't mean much to me, I'm locked in to Rose either way, and personally think she's very solid. I just suck, which isn't new.

I'm still pretty committed to the teleport as well. It's more fun for me, and while it's active, it forces the opponent to slow the F down for a while no matter what, even if you don't use it right away. VT2 blows it's load in 6 seconds, hit or miss.

Anyway, I'm up for some more games tonight with anyone who's playing.

Alex used to suck 90% of the time. But because he could Parry and do random gorilla stuff, he wS the king of Twitter highlights.

Twitter highlights are hilarious in the world of SF5. Dudes post their one hot round in a game they lost. Think it happened to Doctrine Dark that a Cody player posted a hot second round. Then when I looked up the replay, dude had lost the game.

FGC Twitter is the modern day Clown College.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Alex Clips can be summed up with :
"Don't worry guys, this was all planned and all done on purpose!"

Translation: I have no clue what happend, but I won a chain of interections for some reasons lol

I don't think it's as derogatory as that, but it's like, "Look I have a 50/50 character! Watch me do 50/50s! But don't worry, it's impressive because it's hard to get in."

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but I don't know.

2 hours ago, Sonero said:

Ryu can sweep her cr.mk for free.  I nailed DarcRequiem a few times. Haven't checked to see if she has other normals that whiff punishable.  Her cr.hp anti air is out of control. Hard to cross it up at times.

Seems like she has a terrible match up against Cammy the moment she gets one EX bar though.

Yeah when I stopped trying to Soul Bind and started using Cr.HP, I started having more success. That said, it's only good a closer/cross up ranges. It loses to far jump ins. Every time I tried to AA your far jumps in, Rose caught a Ryu foot to the face.

22 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

The message is loud and clear, you guys want more Alex highlights

Hey man:

I know life can be hard some times. But you're out there watching Alex highlight vids...which we know is a cry for help. A normal AriesWarlock would be listening to metal, worshiping Satan and trading currencies. These videos definitely shows that you aren't in a good place.

If you need somebody to talk to, a bunch of us are here for you. Spending your days watching a deformed blonde jump around like a kangaroo isn't good for your mental health. Take some time off away from the computer and  light a black candle to your dark lord in prayer. If not, ring us up.

Your mental health is important.

🙏

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Hey man:

I know life can be hard some times. But you're out there watching Alex highlight vids...which we know is a cry for help. A normal AriesWarlock would be listening to metal, worshiping Satan and trading currencies. These videos definitely shows that you aren't in a good place.

If you need somebody to talk to, a bunch of us are here for you. Spending your days watching a deformed blonde jump around like a kangaroo isn't good for your mental health. Take some time off away from the computer and  light a black candle to your dark lord in prayer. If not, ring us up.

Your mental health is important.

🙏

The gods below put us through trials, and demand sacrifices from all of us. And it is in that unholy torment where we must find enjoyment.

Therefore, Alex highlights videos!