Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

1 hour ago, delete_me said:

But she'll always be on top because she does exactly what you need to do in this game to control the pace of a match with get consistent damage and some of the best AAs.

Sorry for the double post but basically this. She has most of the fundamentals in check. A decent anti-air, speed, Cannon Spike can corner the opposing player or make you close the distance without the possibly of getting hit. It's why Ryu for a time was somewhat dominant. The SFV system is more friendly than past games so there's an added safety net that wasn't there before. 

9 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

What do you guys think about bonus damage during

1. counter hit

2. backstab or cross up hit

are they good in fighting game? similar to sf.

SamSho has combos that are only possible from behind because you're granted extra hitstun for hitting them from that way. I think doing that for a simple crossup would break the game but landing a backhit combo is tough yet worth the effort if you can make it happen. 

Edited by DoctaMario
13 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

if she's carrying people then someone like Bison must need back surgery. Maybe that is why he walks so slow in this game?

Its like I said a long time ago in SRK: Cammy is the Ryu of SF5.

Straightforward tools, does all the basic things you need an SF5 character to do to be great. N-Tactic mentioned it above too. And he would know because his avatar is of a proportionally more scumbag character than anything offered in SF5.

Yeah I remember the convos from real early on about Cammy and it has all held true for however many years. 

She's like a footsies trilobyte. Came out pretty much perfect in S1 and has stayed aggravatingly consistent the whole time.

I think what is tilting people more than anything else is having to deal with VT1 activated for the 9 millionth time.

25 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

She's like a footsies trilobyte. Came out pretty much perfect in S1 and has stayed aggravatingly consistent the whole time.

Basically. But people are acting like Cammy was going through pockets this whole time.  Meanwhile we could probably do a whole list of pocket ruffling that some characters were doing.  The "carry" conversation is kind of an extension of the game's mechanics. You get crazy comeback tools; they force lopside situations to constantly happen in unnatural ways. Somebody is getting a knife pressed up against their neck at least once every round.

There's also just random moves made ridiculous as intended. Had a homie visit whom I hadn't seen in a few years. He went to South Africa, didn't get to play any SF, came over to hang out for a bit and play. Guy is a great player, plays Bison, I'm telling him about changes in the game with the last past. I tell him about the Devil's Reverse nerf and even he was like "Well finally".

I've seen some characters carry people. Urien with a +2 cr.mk into 7 frame EX tackle that could VTC into Aegis with the old damage scaling was a vaccine against being a bum. Rog out there tossing plus frame TAPs, Laura doing marvel mix ups, w/e Mika was doing in season 1 etc. If your character had some mix up that was way easier to execute then the game was helping you out a bit. Abigail was employee of the year wheelchair salesman for a while.

But that's kinda baked into this game. Things are gonna be made dumb. So you'll have tools that are extra hard to deal with so nobody feels good about anything.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

But that's kinda baked into this game. Things are gonna be made dumb. So you'll have tools that are extra hard to deal with so nobody feels good about anything.

Which is why nobody should be worried about basic ass Cammy lol. Character is like bottom 10 in terms of foolishness. 

This whole conversation is dumb. The whole game enables bad players.

Edited by Vhozite
51 minutes ago, Reticently said:

You know what Cammy is in the low level play slums?  Cammy is half screen Hooligans over and over to try and get in.

I feel personally attacked.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

And we know perfectly well what happens when things aren't made dumb, like how Sagat is bad simply because he can't steal rounds.

Realistically, Cammy ain't even that good either if we think about SFV's meta.

Her VT1 can help her get in, sure, but she's not out there stealing whole rounds without hitting people with a CA. Good fundamentals can only get you so far when people like Laura pops VT and starts moving like a squirrel on cocaine.

54 minutes ago, Volt said:

Realistically, Cammy ain't even that good either if we think about SFV's meta.

Lol what? Cammy lands normal and sends you halfway to the corner and 3/4 of the way to the corner if you backrise. She can react to your wake up and get no effort meaty too. What she does is basically imposible to nerf unless you want to send the character to the shadow realm.

That's why her "nerfs" were more like adjustments than anything else. You go after some of stuff that makes her strong and nerf it, you end up making her way wack as a character. But c'mon guy, "ain't even that good". She's literally never been bad. The funniest one was when they did the cr.lp nerf and the cr.mp nerf (this one went from +2 on block to +1), and people were like "ZOMG CAMMY IS DEAD WTF CAPCOM" and now she is carrying players.

FGC Twitter is the Ivy League of Clown Higher Education System.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Lol what? Cammy lands normal and sends you halfway to the corner and 3/4 of the way to the corner if you backrise. She can react to your wake up and get no effort meaty too. What she does is basically imposible to nerf unless you want to send the character to the shadow realm.

I'm talking about "haha VT go brrrr" scenarios where characters just pop that and suddenly your half bar is missing 30% and they got you in a dirty mixup to snatch at least another 20%.

Cammy's out there still doing the same "Cr. MK xx Arrow then meaty or throw."

It's not that she's bad, she just doesn't play the VT Unga meta, y'know?

33 minutes ago, Volt said:

It's not that she's bad, she just doesn't play the VT Unga meta, y'know?

I'd say she is actually one of the ur-VT characters.

VT1 dive kick gets you in and if you don't use it for that it adds solid damage. Its a 2 bar so even on a low health char you can probably see two of them with CCs (and its really easy to burn through the first one so you can build the second one faster). And she has the golden pair of 3f normal + EX DP so she doesn't have to lean on V gauge for outs if she doesn't want to.

She doesn't hit the high-highs of Urien Twitter clips - actually her VT1 is pretty boring in terms of flash and everyone has seen it so much they can clap the rhythm of VT1 DP by memory - but don't let her buttcheeks distract from how beefy her VT1 is, was, and always will be. Like Sonero said in a lot of ways she is the ideal SFV character.

13 hours ago, Joke said:

Some of the old KOF games had something like "backstab damage" in that if you started a combo when they were backturned, usually after a bad roll or something you would get fucking heinous damage off that combo. I don't know that anyone wants to live in a world where you're getting one shotted for getting hit in certain positions. 👀

The number of people who like to play one-touch TOD Marvel-style games begs to differ. 🙃

16 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I'd say she is actually one of the ur-VT characters.

Her VT is a workhorse. Its 2 bars, leads to solid activations, has a lot of random utility and doesn't get magically wasted. The situation that Volt is bringing, and that you are too, is in her ability force herself. What she'll do with a divekick is force a tick throw/shimmy from  a lot of situations midscreen. Can't load up the game right now or I'd put up those numbers.

Thats a scary situation, but now its less scary than it used to be. You can delay tech, back dash, v-shift, cr.lk the walk back (if you have a character with long toes). So you get for half a v-trigger time, the same game of chicken she normally with her other knockdown.

She is forcing that with no overhead or command grab. It isn't like she is gonna give you multiple options to guess from. She is gonna be plus and then either throw, hit a button for a frame trap or walk back. Hell if this happens midscreen, v-shift beats all three of those options.

She does make people panic like a mofo. Probably top tier at making dudes freak out without doing much. That panic inducing behavior has been keeping her tops for a hot minute.

37 minutes ago, Reticently said:

ToD in a team game is less problematic though, because a one character ToD in Marvel is basically similar to a 33% damage combo in a one-on-one game.

That's only true until people are doing really really dirty mixups on your incoming character.  Someone touching your point character once in a game like MVC3 potentially ends your game right there.

In KOF I don't think there's anything wrong with punishing a bad roll by giving bonus damage tbh.  Rolls are already pretty risky anyway if the other player is ready for them, and other games are already way more unforgiving.

26 minutes ago, Sonero said:

She does make people panic like a mofo. Probably top tier at making dudes freak out without doing much. That panic inducing behavior has been keeping her tops for a hot minute.

Aside from regular 'ol player jitters I think that is thanks to when VTs come online. Having to eat her basic mix up is scarier when you're in a one touch/throw situation (or risking corner throw into snowball death which admittedly used to be a lot worse). Not unique to her or like its anything crazy but that has a tilt factor. 

There also is usually a Cammy Renaissance every season so maybe its just people realizing/remembering that she can be a dick even if she is a boring dick.

Freely admit I'm out of touch with the match up. Last time I fought Cammy was probably S4 which I think was her patch review low point.

48 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Freely admit I'm out of touch with the match up. Last time I fought Cammy was probably S4 which I think was her patch review low point.

Wasn't S3 her lowest or at least where she got considerably nerfed? Because I remember I wasn't facing much Cammy's and it got to the point where even the story thread were discussing her nerfs there. 

Edited by N-Tactix
8 minutes ago, N-Tactix said:

Wasn't S3 her lowest or at least where she got considerably nerfed? Because I remember I wasn't facing much Cammy's and it got to the point where even the story thread were discussing her nerfs there. 

May have been s3 yeah. I remember a patch coming out with a lot of Cammy teeth gnashing but a lot of the specifics are starting to get fuzzy.

Like you I just kinda remember the online Cammy % dropped a bunch and I think right around then Karin went up. That was the trendy switch.

Smash cut to Doctrine Dark blowing people up with Cammy for another 2 years. 

Edited by GetTheTables

New Video Uploaded. 

This one is a tad longer than anticipated. Some of the folks who take interest in this may need some popcorn. Possibly some booze on the side if they are drinkers. 

The first segment will consist of some elaborate SFV matches between the perspectives of Cammy and Rose. 

Cammy and Rose players (or those who are curious about either of those characters) should have a good time observing. 

The KOFXIV segments will get progressively funnier over time... especially the ones involving Geese Howard. 

Strength level aside I always felt he was incomplete. I grew bored of him after 200 or 300 matches already, you're just always doing the same thing. And I know that's kind of true for a lot of characters but for some reason I found it extremely obvious in his case. It's either Target combo 1 into EX Spin Kick or Target combo 2 into V-Trigger activation with a little bit of divekick and cr.HK in between. I'm surprised he got sch a good reception conceptually because it's just Cammy 2.0, more or less. His V-System is fun at least, I suppose.

Uh, yeah, that wasn't the question. Having only played Rose since the update my perception might be a bit skewed because he's a bad matchup but he seems decent still, but probably not as god an all-around pick as he was last season. He's probably "why not play Cammy?" tier or something.

40 minutes ago, delete_me said:

It's either Target combo 1 into EX Spin Kick or Target combo 2 into V-Trigger activation with a little bit of divekick and cr.HK in between.

Yeah- he feels like he has a lot of footsie deadzones so it's all risky fishing for jackpot combos.  Character probably should have gotten more health in the patch at least, instead of getting it taken away.

At least his combos actually feel rewarding to do.

5 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Good problem to have. 😉

That's a fun cross section of play styles too. Nice way to keep it fresh. 

Yup, i am enjoying all 3 playstyles.  

I usually pick characters based on looks i admit but these 3 are also fun to play ( for me ).

Gonna try that amazon Laura mod if i stream her later !

6 hours ago, Reticently said:

I've been messing around with Seth in training just to try to get a secondary character back to a playable level.  While there's zero doubt they had to nerf his axe kick, I kind of feel like he's maybe a little too toothless now?  

Give Seth his sonic boom and SPD back..  😈  

20 hours ago, delete_me said:

Strength level aside I always felt he was incomplete. I grew bored of him after 200 or 300 matches already, you're just always doing the same thing.

Seth doesn’t make it for me because the primary thing that makes him interesting to play (VS1) is also his most awkward tool. 

You’re forced to repeatedly use the risky Tandem Engine to access install arts, which are one time use. However, Tandem Engine itself is also a good move that you’d like to have consistent access to in some matchups. It’s basically the worst of both worlds where I’m not always getting access to what I want. Unsurprisingly this issue is also why I don’t like charge characters or playing  SFV Juri.

To me outside of install arts Seth feels like a good but pretty generic character. Seth without install arts feels incomplete despite being a well-rounded character. 

Edited by Vhozite