Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

I started reading it but meh. Once you start talking about how fighting games got left behind by eSports you're choosing to miss how all that mess started. eSports was a PC thing for the longest time. Then you had some start ups with console stuff.

Either way the name is corny and the story of the FGC is way more interesting than having it piggie back off of eSports.

Sorry Cipher. We got sushi for dinner last night and it knocked me out.

also, just generally, i’m having a real lack of motivation for FGs these days. I don't know if i prefer the change of pace in FPSs lately, or if I’m just bored of all the FGs I have... I guess I’ll find out when the strive beta comes out.

39 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Sorry Cipher. We got sushi for dinner last night and it knocked me out.

also, just generally, i’m having a real lack of motivation for FGs these days. I don't know if i prefer the change of pace in FPSs lately, or if I’m just bored of all the FGs I have... I guess I’ll find out when the strive beta comes out.

Not to intrude.

Every now and then, folks may have a burn out from fighting games. I tend to take breaks for at least two weeks and invest in stuff like DMC1/3/5 or some old Pokemon stuff. Something to ease your thought process and help you relax.

9 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

Not to intrude.

Every now and then, folks may have a burn out from fighting games. I tend to take breaks for at least two weeks and invest in stuff like DMC1/3/5 or some old Pokemon stuff. Something to ease your thought process and help you relax.

No worries, that second paragraph was meant for everyone, not just Cipher.

But yeah, that’s basically it. I don't feel like playing SFV now, and while I do want to play some anime-type game (BB, GG, or MVCI), I have a lot of labbing to do in any of them before i feel competent enough to have decent matches... it’s mostly due to me not playing them regularly or as much, so things didn’t stick into my head as much as other games have. Hopefully strive can pull me in regularly so it’s easier for me to just hop on after a bit of a break

3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

But yeah, that’s basically it. I don't feel like playing SFV now, and while I do want to play some anime-type game (BB, GG, or MVCI), I have a lot of labbing to do in any of them before i feel competent enough to have decent matches... it’s mostly due to me not playing them regularly or as much, so things didn’t stick into my head as much as other games have. Hopefully strive can pull me in regularly so it’s easier for me to just hop on after a bit of a break

The fucked up thing about BBCF in my case is that I was only playing the game because of my niggas Hakuman, Susanoo, Azaerl, and Kagura, alongside having a good laugh at the story (There are more than a few good segments in the story mode, but a good portion of the "problems" with Blazblue could have easily been taken care of if it where not for how stupid or slow a lot of the side characters were. You can almost say that for any other fighting game, if you wish to be fair). 

I also thought about speedrunning as well. If I *ever* start speedrunning... Megaman X4 will probably be the candidate because many of the glitches and skips are easily manageable as X himself. 

As for Strive... I am considering that... 

20 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

I also thought about speedrunning as well. If I *ever* start speedrunning... Megaman X4 will probably be the candidate because many of the glitches and skips are easily manageable as X himself. 

I seriously thought about speedrunning the first Megaman X. I love that game. One of all my time favourites. I have tried some speedrunning some other games but i’m not a huge fan of glitching (mostly because the timings/inputs are way too exact and labbing them drives me up the wall).

52 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

Megaman X4 will probably be the candidate because many of the glitches and skips are easily manageable as X himself. 

Megaman X4 is probably up there as one of my favourite games of all time. I play it on mobile with the retranslation patch. Capcom were pretty much at their peak back in 1996-2003.

I remember that I talked with you about X5 back in SRK. 

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

I have a lot of labbing to do in any of them before i feel competent enough to have decent matches...

"Don't think. Pick Order-Sol." - Bruce Lee. 🙃

42 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Been missing Trollism on Facebook lately...

E0pF_keWQAEhXbN?format=jpg&name=900x900

On a modern note, who here besides Volt and Tubb have been playing RE8? Jokes? Kino? What's happening?

"Playing?"

You really think my PC can handle that? 🤣

Though I might give it a shot later, I guess.

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I hear ya man. I think you hit the nail on the head with the assessment though: if the game isn't fun to play and compelling it is really hard to justify spending the time it takes to build up skill in it.

Compound that with real life stressors and it is legit a better life choice to lean into something else.

Like you I don't particularly enjoy playing SFV against random people. Its fun with the folks here but that is a given. Pretty much the whole time I played outside of that I was kind of forcing myself to which isn't a good thing for sustainability. 

Contrast that with when we've played Xrd or when I've been playing +R recently. I end those sessions wanting to lab stuff or hop right back in, even after getting smashed (I think I went like 1-29 today or something that bad). 

Not saying that +R or Strive will do it for ya. More that, yeah if you aren't feeling it definitely just do something else. Maybe you'll cycle back "on" or even if not there are a ton of MP games we can engage with.

1 hour ago, N-Tactix said:

Megaman X4 is probably up there as one of my favourite games of all time. I play it on mobile with the retranslation patch. Capcom were pretty much at their peak back in 1996-2003.

I remember that I talked with you about X5 back in SRK. 

Ah, yes! I remember that! 

I think we specifically spoke about the RNG factor with the Enigma. 

You've also stated that it is somewhat controllable but it depends on some very archaic numerical values from what the player is doing. 

I also thought that Zero had something to do with the Enigma cannon shot if you finish last with him on Firefly's stage. 

I ran into a lot of funky scenarios with that thing. Then there is also the fact that the Shuttle can still fail even if you recover all of the parts from the last four bosses. 

1 hour ago, GreatDarkHero said:

You've also stated that it is somewhat controllable but it depends on some very archaic numerical values from what the player is doing. 

Having more lives, a high rank and all the parts will make improve the chances. If anything, playing with Zero on your 4th/8th maverick is just better because he always starts out as a SA rank and it's difficult to go down a rank. 

Dynamo is also a quick and easy way to raise your rank, esp with the SDC tactic. I know there's a romhack that plans to streamline the process to get rid of the RNG and make it completely controllable and has already added tons of other QoL features. It's a shame X5 ended up so lackluster and it's very apparent that Inafune just wanted to wrap up the X series to finish up work on Battle Network and finally start working on the Megaman Zero series, which are pretty much the magnus opus of the entire franchise I feel. 

But, we're getting pretty off topic now. 

Edited by N-Tactix
5 hours ago, Sonero said:

A couple of minutes into it and this is actually really solid advice to start:

yeah unknowingly they pulled off the strategy that is known to called  "FOO strategy"  

foo for first order optimal strategy

and probably the reason why we end up with FOCUS ATTACK in SF4 lol

Edited by Shakunetsu
2 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

I hear ya man. I think you hit the nail on the head with the assessment though: if the game isn't fun to play and compelling it is really hard to justify spending the time it takes to build up skill in it.

Compound that with real life stressors and it is legit a better life choice to lean into something else.

Like you I don't particularly enjoy playing SFV against random people. Its fun with the folks here but that is a given. Pretty much the whole time I played outside of that I was kind of forcing myself to which isn't a good thing for sustainability. 

Contrast that with when we've played Xrd or when I've been playing +R recently. I end those sessions wanting to lab stuff or hop right back in, even after getting smashed (I think I went like 1-29 today or something that bad). 

Not saying that +R or Strive will do it for ya. More that, yeah if you aren't feeling it definitely just do something else. Maybe you'll cycle back "on" or even if not there are a ton of MP games we can engage with.

I honestly love Rev2 but as you know, you can’t find a match in it unless your schedule lines with someone here, otherwise, I would have played it a lot more. The last time I played as when you and I played like a month or two ago.

I should finally try +R but I almost feel like it’s too late. I know when Strive comes out, I likely won’t bother with +R (mostly because playing games on my PC is still a bit of a PITA).

the good thing with strive is the netcode is so good, I can play anyone here who has it on PS4/5. Plus, I’m sure it will be easy to find matches for a while. I also had a blast playing it........

perhaps that’s part of my issue. I just feel like anything I’m going to play is temporary so I don’t feel like putting time into labbing something I’ll drop in a month.

5 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I honestly love Rev2 but as you know, you can’t find a match in it unless your schedule lines with someone here, otherwise, I would have played it a lot more. The last time I played as when you and I played like a month or two ago.

I should finally try +R but I almost feel like it’s too late. I know when Strive comes out, I likely won’t bother with +R (mostly because playing games on my PC is still a bit of a PITA).

the good thing with strive is the netcode is so good, I can play anyone here who has it on PS4/5. Plus, I’m sure it will be easy to find matches for a while. I also had a blast playing it........

perhaps that’s part of my issue. I just feel like anything I’m going to play is temporary so I don’t feel like putting time into labbing something I’ll drop in a month.

Honestly, you should pick +R to just shoot the shit and get used to anime FG pace.

No need for hardcore labbing right out the gate, especially for a side hoe game. Focus on having fun.

5 minutes ago, Volt said:

Honestly, you should pick +R to just shoot the shit and get used to anime FG pace.

No need for hardcore labbing right out the gate, especially for a side hoe game. Focus on having fun.

Lol, side hoe game. I like that.

I think I’m well-versed enough in the anime FG pace (I did play MVC2 for years after all), but I like your last bit “focus on having fun”. I need more of that

Edited by Mattatsu
8 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Lol, side hoe game. I like that.

I think I’m well-versed enough in the anime FG pace (I did play MVC2 for years after all), but I like your last bit “focus on having fun”. I need more of that

It makes a lot of difference, you gotta see it to believe it.

I already got like, 60 matches in it just running sets with people here. No salt, no stress, just some good-ass GG.

It was like when we all played 3S for a bit until Dayaan started to use OS Parries like a condom every jump-in. 🤣

25 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Never too late for +R. 😉 The game is intense and its a fucking shark tank out there but it is a lot of fun and thanks to it being old it loads fast as hell. In the beta they ran this weekend they basically took the Player Quick Match and turned it into a gigantic endless lobby which was amazing. I played pretty much non-stop for almost 2 hours. I can't wait until they roll out a full version of that and if Strive didn't have it's goofy avatar based system I'd hope for the same thing there (though the parks are kinda sorta the same thing but slower). It is hard to emphasize how much better a FG is when you can go from match to match in like 20 seconds.

I totally get what you mean about not wanting to lab something because you know another thing that will demand your time is coming. Honestly that is what got me to fire up +R in the first place: I wanted to actually get some GG legs and it has working rollback. I will say that while it is a motherfucker of a game a lot of the time I feel like it is going to help a lot when Strive drops. +R is lightning fast, absolutely filthy, and has negative no buffer on the controls so if you can hack it in that game you can hack it anywhere. 

All that said, if playing on the PC is a pain in the ass, totally understand just giving it a pass. We aren't that far off from Strive after all. But if you ever want to give it a go just lemme know. 

18 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Huh, why would you need to lab.

You are miles of from the point where labbing is neccesary in either of those games.

You can barely walk, why would you start a Marathon.

I had someone I played Melty with, he spend his time labbing and everytime we fought, he failed the moment I decided that run forward 5B was my favorite strategy of the hour.

Just pick a character and play, everything else comes over time.

8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Nephew you set the entire CPT event free. He ice skated all over them fools. Didn't drop a set in the entire tournament 🤯

I fell asleep before winners finals, but I did see that he was snatching back a lot of close rounds by doing raw VT activation to punish fireballs and then using that momentum to close out the round.  I think he would have struggled more if people had been keeping better track of his V gauge.

2 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Huh, why would you need to lab.

You are miles of from the point where labbing is neccesary in either of those games.

You can barely walk, why would you start a Marathon.

I had someone I played Melty with, he spend his time labbing and everytime we fought, he failed the moment I decided that run forward 5B was my favorite strategy of the hour.

Just pick a character and play, everything else comes over time.

That’s a great point actually. I’ve been thinking a lot more like this recently.why crush myself with labbing? Just find a couple fun things to do, learn a defensive tool or two in case things go bad, and have fun. Thanks

12 hours ago, Sonero said:

The jab button is failing on my stick.

Bloody hell.

d0848d630250e7f9fc12fc089f8432fa.jpg

Urien: "AHA! @Sonero!! LOOK!! Even your jab button input and your own controller betrays you to serve me! Acknowledge your lord and your god emperor!" 

Jokes aside, I am actually starting to dislike using the Logitech gamepad controller specifically during fighting games. And, I need to find some silent buttons for my stick.

4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

That’s a great point actually. I’ve been thinking a lot more like this recently.why crush myself with labbing? Just find a couple fun things to do, learn a defensive tool or two in case things go bad, and have fun. Thanks

That has been the track I've been taking.

Not that it is new info but it really clicked with me watching a bunch of vids on Sajam's channel of him trying out new games. He really emphasized learning some basics in training mode then getting out there and actually play games. I found that to be a really helpful approach for two big reasons that have always dogged me with FGs:

1) You don't actually know what you don't know. When you are legit new to a game you aren't going to know what you really should be practicing, and you don't have a lot of questions to answer aside from basic stuff like "what are my movement options?", "what are my special commands?", "what is a basic BnB?" But (and I'm just repeating what I've heard a million times) training mode is for answering questions and refining stuff. Without having played matches you don't really know what questions you even have and although you can refine stuff, that can lead to....

2) Training Nirvana Paralysis. One thing that I am working to overcome is the temptation to spend the time I have that I can dedicate to FGs grinding away on the same stuff over and over. Waiting until I'm really "ready" before I play matches. This always fails because not only am I just building up the anticipation of success or some version of it when I do go online (making it inevitably more stressful), but playing matches against real people and trying to apply anything is such a different beast that (again stealing a Sajam vid topic) you can look at online matches as just another training mode. Its the actual application step that it feels like you are doing in training mode by practicing something over and over, but its sort of like practicing curling weights on empty air and then expecting that to translate into curling 50 lbs.

Not saying training mode isn't useful or important. But like I keep telling myself to shake that nirvana syndrome: you can't get better at playing the game without actually playing the game. Nowadays I try to limit extended training mode sessions to either when I have specific stuff I want to lab or days when I'm just not going to get enough time to play matches the way I'd want to. Or when I'm fucking exhausted. 😄

5 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Even if you don't stick with it, +R is, imo, in the top 5 of greatest fighting games ever made. I'm nowhere near good enough at it considering all the time I've spent playing it, but it's just a joy to play, even if you're just mashing out combos in training mode.

3 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

1) You don't actually know what you don't know. When you are legit new to a game you aren't going to know what you really should be practicing, and you don't have a lot of questions to answer aside from basic stuff like "what are my movement options?", "what are my special commands?", "what is a basic BnB?" But (and I'm just repeating what I've heard a million times) training mode is for answering questions and refining stuff. Without having played matches you don't really know what questions you even have and although you can refine stuff, that can lead to....

Too many people misconstrue the purpose of training mode with what it should do and what it can do. It can solve your execution problems, but it should be used to train OSs. There is a fundamental misunderstanding of what winning in FGs can be at a higher level. A lot of commentators boil it down to OS vs OS, and this is what mid-level players aim to train. In this way, you can see a broad scope of things to train at different skill levels.

From my experience, I never learned movement beyond how it is physically executed until actual matches. I don't practice execution in training mode. What I practice is OSs. This then raises the question, "What does a new player train?" 

You're supposed to practice execution, walking, dashing, jump ranges, sure. But what new players actually need to train is their mentality. Attacks are simply a means to an end. You should be thinking of the game from knockdown to knockdown, not punch to punch or kick to kick. Everything from the state of the game to the state of the personal meta is merely a proxy to this end. Practice means repetition. Training means to increase endurance, resilience and innovation. This can only come from asking questions, playing the game and fundamentally altering how you approach a new game.

2) Training Nirvana Paralysis. One thing that I am working to overcome is the temptation to spend the time I have that I can dedicate to FGs grinding away on the same stuff over and over. Waiting until I'm really "ready" before I play matches. This always fails because not only am I just building up the anticipation of success or some version of it when I do go online (making it inevitably more stressful), but playing matches against real people and trying to apply anything is such a different beast that (again stealing a Sajam vid topic) you can look at online matches as just another training mode. Its the actual application step that it feels like you are doing in training mode by practicing something over and over, but its sort of like practicing curling weights on empty air and then expecting that to translate into curling 50 lbs.

Want to do the same thing over and over? Pick 5 buttons. Of them, choose an AA. Just do that online, and only that. When we were running DBFZ tourneys on the Reddit Discord server, I told everyone to join, no matter how new or experienced they were. There is no tangible rule, law, regulation or social contract that should prevent you from punching your insecurities into the ground (or indeed having them pummeled for you). These are opportunities to go online immediately, to get a feel of what you're lacking and where you could be with some direction, dedication, love and mentoring.

FGs are a delicate dance. Don't you want to cast aside any notions of sex, gender, norms and society and just get up in your opponent's personal space and try to one-up each other? Free your mind of these things. Discover your strengths and go straight into it. Al Pacino's famous closing line at Baird was, "It's gonna make you proud one day."

Not saying training mode isn't useful or important. But like I keep telling myself to shake that nirvana syndrome: you can't get better at playing the game without actually playing the game. Nowadays I try to limit extended training mode sessions to either when I have specific stuff I want to lab or days when I'm just not going to get enough time to play matches the way I'd want to. Or when I'm fucking exhausted.

Repeating the same thing is like curling on one arm, and only one arm. I would be surprised to find anyone on this forum, or indeed, any other forum that can parry Chun Li's super as consistently as I can, but it's a useless talent. 100% useless. I recognise this. There's a lot I could work on, and I do. These days I spend almost no time in the lab since I'm not really playing anything, but if you have a limited time or limited energy, please spend it playing people. Training mode is useful to a point, but I'd sooner talk to people, fight people, embrace whatever warrior I can from within me and sweat and break my limits over and over and over until there's nothing left of the city. Just keep at it.