Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

3 hours ago, Emptyeyes said:

A post worthy of triggering intense motivation and those that are willing to apply it, Dayaan. Well said.

People just need to play the game. It's within us to produce the best work we are capable of.

7 hours ago, delete_me said:

He did really well with Rose but it's just too easy to overwhelm her once you get that one, momentum-swinging jump-in or knockdown.

I wonder why they didn't give her a side-switching V-Reversal. Maybe to avoid some feature overlap with VT1, but she'd need it so much. 

The fact he made top 8 with a relatively new character while apparently not taking the game all that seriously points to Rose being pretty good.  I doubt she's bad, most likely at least midtier.   Filipinoman said he thinks she is underrated by the community.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
1 hour ago, HeavensCloud said:

The fact he made top 8 with a relatively new character while apparently not taking the game all that seriously points to Rose being pretty good.  I doubt she's bad, most likely at least midtier.   Filipinoman said he thinks she is underrated by the community.  

She's hard to place IMO. From fullscreen to midscreen at around st.HP distance away from the opponent and with machine-like AA reactions for Soul Bind she's probably Top 10/15. But if you're closer than that or mess up that one crucial AA and get cornered and she's completely screwed, even if V-Shift/Reversal help her more than others.

I place her at "takes 80% more effort and mental energy than the average SFV character" tier.

1 hour ago, delete_me said:

I place her at "takes 80% more effort and mental energy than the average SFV character" tier.

I feel the same for Menat which is why I think play for these characters tends to drop off the worse they are.  People aren't going to put time into a hard-to-play technical character that is mid tier when they can just pick Cammy or Bison.  

Old game good, new game bad.  

This reminds me of the time I was watching omito stream the strive beta and the chat was trying to get him to say how bad the game was compared to +R.  And he was like "Strive is way better than +R".  This wasn't the response they were looking for lol.

This makes me want to make a 3S post...

No, I will contain myself. No such wack game shall have any hold over me...

Old game good, new game bad.  

This reminds me of the time I was watching omito stream the strive beta and the chat was trying to get him to say how bad the game was compared to +R.  And he was like "Strive is way better than +R".  This wasn't the response they were looking for lol.

The old games for me, it's more toward the variety of creativity established in the 1990s and 1980s. I also think that with balance, is why I hold Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting and certain Virtua Fighter games at high regard, moreover, the pre-super era with the others that can be honorable mentions. 

I'm well aware that I've spent up to 500 dollars worth of more recent generation games in current times, which led to the misfortunate of buyer's remorse, falsely hoping for the best. Either way, everyone should play what they like, though, without the elitist views.

(Also, I have GGXXAC+R, but due to the lack of innovation afterwards, it's more likely for me to not migrate to the games after.)

Edited by Emptyeyes

Ironically, as good as +R is, I can totally see why he'd say that.

Honestly, I actually like Reload more than +R. +R got a bit too much stuff. A robust array of system mechanics, deep movesets for every character... Sure, that really allows people to develop their own unique style, but I actually like the more condensed movesets of Reload and Xrd. Less of a hassle to learn matchups too, I guess.

Didn't get my hands on Strive yet, of course, so it's a bit too soon to say, but I legit like Reload, +R and Xrd for being games with their own identity and just generally really, really good games.

37 minutes ago, Emptyeyes said:

(Also, I have GGXXAC+R, but due to the lack of innovation afterwards, it's more likely for me to not migrate to the games after.)

spacer.png

I get it if you don't like what they did in terms of changes, but to say there's no innovation???

Come on man, that's straight up not true.

Edited by Volt
3 minutes ago, Volt said:

I get it if you don't like what they did in terms of changes, but to say there's no innovation???

Come on man, that's straight up not true.

Well, I apologize for being one of those gaming hipsters. 😛 

I just think that the past already established much of everything, which I have a bad habit of dismissing what came after.

4 minutes ago, Volt said:

Movement? He just spams Fuujin. 🤣

No, I realize that (and like the idea of the follow up mixups), but I need an IAD in this game. It looks like in +R he has an air dash and run though, so I’d imagine he’d be the same in Strive

Edited by Mattatsu
3 minutes ago, Volt said:

Iirc, it should be easier than ever to IAD low af in this game because of the dash button, though iirc, air dashes got a bit of a startup now.

I really can't wait to have a dash button in this game. I'mma move like a squirrel on cocaine. 🤣

Yeah I’m curious about how the air movement has been adjusted since the last beta. Air mobility is huge reason why I love these games so I hope it’s still good.

I’m also curious to test if there’s a different between 9,6 and 9, macro IADs

Just now, Mattatsu said:

I’m also curious to test if there’s a different between 9,6 and 9, macro IADs

I can't imagine macro not being faster because you actually need to go back to neutral for 9, 6 iirc.

Meanwhile, you can pretty much do 9+Macro and get it, or so I'm told.

Dammit ArcSys, lemme play!!! 😭

11 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah I’m curious about how the air movement has been adjusted since the last beta. Air mobility is huge reason why I love these games so I hope it’s still good.

In one of the Sajam vids he mentions a going theory that the loketest had the beta changes in it and people just didn't really notice because its pretty subtle. We'll know for sure in an day.

Even if Strive is less aerial than previous games its still a GG game and so there is still going to be plenty of aerial shit. Strive is definitely less vertical than something like +R but I think you can tell that they still want the game to have a strong presence of aerial offense.

11 hours ago, Volt said:

I can't imagine macro not being faster because you actually need to go back to neutral for 9, 6 iirc.

I don't. :coffee:

12 hours ago, Volt said:

Meanwhile, you can pretty much do 9+Macro and get it, or so I'm told.

Dammit ArcSys, lemme play!!! 😭

That's why Hitbox is objectively better. Saving a frame for things is incredibly powerful, more than we realise. That's not to say that we should switch to Hitbox. The subjective power of comfort does outweigh whatever "objectivism" dictates optimal play. I'm just saying that I blocked that overhead on Hitbox, that's all.

Analog Gang forever!!!

Hitbox does have remarkable advantages compared to other input devices tho, but I can't imagine dealing with the bulk of a stick and moving with buttons just feels wrong to me.

A lot of modern games are being made with pad in mind, so a lot of the disadvantages on pad are being neutralized too.

8 minutes ago, Volt said:

Analog Gang forever!!!

Hitbox does have remarkable advantages compared to other input devices tho, but I can't imagine dealing with the bulk of a stick and moving with buttons just feels wrong to me.

A lot of modern games are being made with pad in mind, so a lot of the disadvantages on pad are being neutralized too.

I would actually say that MK11 is best played on pad... but with using the D-pad like a normal person

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

From my point of view, Hitbox doesn't offer enough advantage over a fight pad to justify the extra bulk.

There's two reason's I'm a bigger fan of hitbox over pad:

1. Simultaneous button presses- I just can't do them consistently on pad without macros, and even then, I don't like using my left hand for action buttons, it messes with my mind. Like with Gief's lariet, I just can't do it. Same with throw teching and what not, it's just no beuno for me. Big ol buttons solves that issue in my case. 
  2. Blisters and "pad thumb". I don't want to have to reform my calluses if I take a couple weeks off. And before volt talks about the analog stick again, that shit is wack. Happy that you're happy, but it ain't for me 
5 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I don't like using my left hand for action....

...go on.... 👀

5 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

...buttons, it messes with my mind.

...oh.

+R is the one game I've played thus far where I feel like it would have been easier on stick. I think its just trying to coordinate all the buttons you need to hit to move the way you want to in that game it still sort of overloads my brain.