Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

1 hour ago, Reticently said:
"Zoning"

Why in quotes? Sim is zoning the shit out of Honda here. He’s using a projectile to control a fuckton of space and limit Honda’s movement. 

Just because he converts it into an offensive opportunity doesn’t mean he wasn’t zoning. 

Does it only count if he stands full screen?

Edited by Vhozite
2 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Just because he converts it into an offensive opportunity doesn’t mean he wasn’t zoning. 

Without getting into too philosophical discussion about what zoning might encompass, because what isn't zoning, he's not so much dictating spacing as he is letting the fireball dictate his own positioning.  Kind of the inverse of typical zoning.

30 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Why in quotes? Sim is zoning the shit out of Honda here. He’s using a projectile to control a fuckton of space and limit Honda’s movement. 

"You see when Urien knocks you down in the corner and puts a mirror in front of you he is zoning you out because your stuck in the corner eating mix ups."

Other notable examples of zoning:

MvC2 Strider activating ourorboros.

MvC3 Vergil putting on the sword belt.

SF4 Rose using the soul satellite ultra and getting 3 mix ups out of it.

Xrd Kum tossing a fireball that moves around 8 times forcing you to block and eat a bunch of mix ups.

This whole time Arakune cursing people, forcing them to block and eat mix ups for 30 seconds wasn't rushing down, it was just some honest to god ST O.Sagat keep away happening.

Edited by Sonero
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Does it only count if he stands full screen?

Is Satellite zoning? 🤔

On 5/29/2021 at 4:56 AM, HonebamiX said:

I fought somebody tonight from Megashock Forums Dojo.

If you reading this EddieMayPlay( Is this close? I am exhausted) CFN your Falke was dope. My CFN is Reapershrug was using Juri we played a set tonight in Ranked. GGs

What's up man, GGs! Yeah I remember playing a Juri the other night... I'm too scared to let her get close lol.

4 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Gill in the bottom tier? Why do top players insist on making tier lists instead of match up charts?

That's kind of the real problem. Zeku vs Ryu I have Zeku winning it, my friend who mains Ryu has Ryu winning it.

But kids today think SF5 is well designed so who knows what goes on in their heads when making anything.

36 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Gill in the bottom tier? Why do Capcom insist on making jobbers of all their big bads? 

Gil uses his own unique subsystem, and they were probably afraid of overtuning it.  Hard to keep that kind of thing from either being blanket better or worse than everyone else.

Akuma, Seth, and Bison are strong and mostly have been.  Sagat isn't, but he hasn't been a big bad in decades.

I think the upper half of that tierlist looks okay but it's really wild in the last three rows. As in, why are Ed and Kage so low, why is Falke lower than Rose (not saying Rose should be lower, but Falke should be higher) and why are people still sleeping on Dan?

19 minutes ago, Skort said:

Why do you dislike SF4 so much ?  Just curious.

I don't like the way the game plays. I don't like Focus Attacks. I don't like long as combos that do fuck all damage.  From Aesthetic level the game is ugly. The 3D models got better as they want along but there is no excuse for a game that came out in 2008/9 to have issues like Viper's uniboob and hips. Gouken had the same exact hip issue.  What is N64 era bullshit? Top top it off it introduced Rufus. If have the option of playing any main line Street Fighter game, I'd pick any game sans SF1 over SFIV. 

cadnav-1P602135525.jpeg

Horrible SFIV Gouken Costume.jpg

Edited by Darc_Requiem
13 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I don't like the way the game plays. I don't like Focus Attacks. I don't like long as combos that do fuck all damage.  From Aesthetic level the game is ugly. The 3D models got better as they want along but there is no excuse for a game that came out in 2008/9 to have issues like Viper's uniboob and hips. Gouken had the same exact hip issue.  What is N64 era bullshit? Top top it off it introduced Rufus. If have the option of playing any main line Street Fighter game, I'd pick any game sans SF1 over SFIV. 

cadnav-1P602135525.jpeg

Horrible SFIV Gouken Costume.jpg

Ok I never cared that much. SF is SF to me. I enjoy SF4 to a point... not little enough to go back to 1...

Cool game! Weird idiosyncrasies though...

8 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Ok I never cared that much. SF is SF to me. I enjoy SF4 to a point... not little enough to go back to 1...

Cool game! Weird idiosyncrasies though...

I feel about SFIV how a lot of people feel about SFV. I only played it because it was the only SF game I could play with a large community. Plus you didn't have the options you do now when it comes to fighters. I appreciate that SFIV brought SF back and helped rejuvenate the "2D' style of fighter but the game itself it's meh. 

2 hours ago, delete_me said:

I think the upper half of that tierlist looks okay but it's really wild in the last three rows.

I’d say it looks strange because everyone at that level is pretty close in terms of viability.  Saying Gill is bottom 2 in a 40 man roster makes him sound unplayable but in real life he can comfortably run with everyone outside the top 3 rows. 

The main character in the bottom half that’s grossly misplaced imo is Ibuki. To even imply that Alex or fucking Sagat are better than Ibuki? Fucking lol

Yeah, I have no idea what the downplaying with Ibuki is about. That started like, what, a year or two ago but come on, if she has meter and a kunai on stock she basically gets in for free, her V-Skills are both extremely strong, she has really good neutral for such a mixup-heavy character archetype and if you can hit-confirm VT2 it's one of the best 2-bar triggers in the game. 

3 hours ago, Skort said:

Why do you dislike SF4 so much ?  Just curious.

It's a bad game.

Beyond the reasons Darc mentioned, all of which are other reasons I don't like it, it's poorly designed, and I say this as someone who played it seriously for about 4+ years.

Just a cliff's notes run down:

-The Ultra mechanic when combined with the preponderance of 1f Links and absolute guard turn the risk/reward scenario on its head. If someone is attacking, it's usually on the defending player to safely escape the situation, but in SF4, if someone comes at you with a block string and you have an Ultra loaded up, if they miss any one of those links, they're eating that Ultra for lunch if you're mashing it out (because absolute guard lets you do that.)

-Makes mashing the best decision in some situations.

-1f Links mean you have to spend time grinding combos that would be day 1 basic in any other SF game and combined with iffy netcode mean that even if you grind those links, there's a good chance you'll miss them online if the connection isn't right meaning that characters who rely more on them become less viable.

-Focus attack feels awkward and clunky. RCs in Guilty Gear are closer to what FAs should have been.

-Game feels like crap to play after playing SF2/3. The characters all have a bizarre weight to them even the lighter ones.

5 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Bison has been amazing for almost the whole life of the game tho

I mean more in a lore sense I guess. Bison's been rekt in how many SF games now and it looks like Gill, a god basically, is on that same path here. I get that they can't make them OP on purpose, but it's always funny to see a character who is a celestial being struggle in a fight with someone wearing a schoolgirl outfit.