Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

I’m really enjoying Chun and think I learned a lot today (not just about Chun, but dealing with pressure and jumping mofo’s, plus some other things). Somehow, in all of this time off from SFV, I’m kinda coming back to it with a fresh set of eyes, and am noticing things I never realized before, at least during matches (not after). I’m still ass, but feel like I may actually start getting somewhat decent if I keep this up.

Glad to hear it is working out for you man. A big initial hurdle is being able to slide a bit out of the heat of the moment and recognize things during a match. Like any other skill it mostly just takes practice but it is one of those things you need to actively work on.

If you want to crack into sets sometime this week just lemme know. Though I still owe MK11 games, and now Melty games, and Dayaan at least some 3S now that I have that set up. Dance card filled up. 😅

35 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

A big initial hurdle is being able to slide a bit out of the heat of the moment and recognize things during a match

Yeah, my awareness seems to have improved a lot. While i haven't been playing much SFV this year, I’ve been playing a lot of 3S (and other games), mostly with KingTubb, Pertho, and Dayaan, while using voice chat and it’s been very helpful and I’ve learned a lot.

A revelation i had on Friday is that I have lost many (and continue to lose many) games in SFV because I’m not in control of the match - instead, I’m letting my opponents control it. This is why I dropped Sagat. I can’t control the match with him. Instead, I was letting my opponent run their gameplan; and instead of taking it back, I was just delaying them from implementing theirs with my tiger shots. That isn't to say I’m playing crazy rushdown... I can still play a more defensive game (hanging back and poking) as long as it’s under my terms, but with a faster character, i can take control back (or re-group) easier if I need to. But another thing is, is now I seem to be better at realizing, fairly quickly, when i’m losing control of the match, and trying to change things up quicker to correct that... I still have a lot of work to do, but I’m happy I’m finally understanding things a bit more.

edit: and yeah, I’ll reach out to you this week for games.

Edited by Mattatsu
57 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Bruh, yall already know that's how I was able to get those Kairi colors. VT1 last like 2 seconds. At least VT2, if you don't use it. It lasts forever. You can use it put your opponent on the defensive just by activating it. 

And you get Sp. Cancellable St. HP.

An 8f, safe, CC button that has very good range for Ryu standards. And you can convert off it at will. And that's not even counting the parry.

That by itself already warrants a good look at his VT2 because while VT1 also has this buff, it doesn't last anywhere as long as VT2 does.

Ok can someone explain why reacting to a dash with a throw is impossible? I don’t understand how I can see a dash coming, hit throw, then get CH by a fucking sweep. 

It’s not my reactions, because I can jab them just fine. Only when I try to throw them does it always fail somehow. 

Edited by Vhozite
Spelling
6 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Ok can someone explain why reacting to a dash with a throw is impossible? I don’t understand how I can see a dash coming, but throw, then get CH by a fucking sweep. 

It’s not my reactions, because I can jab them just find. Only when I try to throw them does it always fail somehow. 

Probably range.

3 hours ago, EvilCanadian said:

Yall might bitch about SFV netcode but remember its worlds worlds WORLDS WORLDS better than dbfz

Aw shit, man! 

It's the @EvilCanadian

I haven't see you around in a minute! Hope all is well, given this... environment. 

By the end of this November, I will likely redownload SFV or at least get it on the PC and then party with the MegaShock crew. 

5 hours ago, Dayaan said:

@EdmundHoly shit is your avi from a Wattpad story? You're such a fuckin nerd!

What's an AVI? Did you tag the wrong person? 😂 

Idk what's a Wattpad too lol. 

And Where's Naeras and Eskills. And someone tell the legend Lord William that we're here. I'll post pictures of cheese pizza and hot girls! 

Edited by Edmund
7 hours ago, Jocelot said:

Lmao, she looks great. I wasn't expecting her to have an evil side. Definitely went from 0% interest to 50% from that alone. She's like Regina George from Mean Girls if she practiced the arcane arts

Thats more of a serious side like "I'm done playing now".

According to Granblue Lore, she or more he, is an alchemist, who transferd his soul into a new body after his old was like "I stop working now".

Like Leonardo da Vincie from FGO, he rather wanted to be a nice looking girl rather than a ugly old greaser.

6 hours ago, Edmund said:

What's an AVI? Did you tag the wrong person? 😂 

Idk what's a Wattpad too lol. 

And Where's Naeras and Eskills. And someone tell the legend Lord William that we're here. I'll post pictures of cheese pizza and hot girls! 

Avatar, and it means yours is from some fanfiction.

Played SFV this weekend with a buddy who picked it up when it was free. 

It was hilarious to play online with someone who had never played the game offline before, and wasn't a FG palyer.

He was saying that playing online was really fun and it ran pretty well. The man was teleporting more than nightcrawler, he thought that was just how the game looked

In SFV, what do you guys like for light punish combos?

Chun has quite a few she can do (see spoiler) but they all seem very situational, as well as range-dependant, and I dont even really know what is or not punishable with a 3 or 4 frame light, so I’d like two buttons to help me confirm it...

or should i not even worry about this now, and just do cr.LP, cr.LP or something easy and safe? Keeping in mind I’m in Super/Ultra Bronze ranks at the moment, and probably don’t need optimal punishes right now. Also, since i’m very green with chun, I’d like to limit my options a bit.

Spoiler

3 frame:

- cr.LK, cr.LP xx LK SBK (requires a bit of a charge)

- cr.LK, cr.LP xx LK Legs (keeps opponent standing but your +4)

- cr.LK, cr.LP xx EX Legs (requires meter but causes a knockdown)

4 frame:

any of the above but with cr.LP (with a bit more range), plus:

- cr.LP, s.MP, cr.MK xx HK Legs

- cr.LP, s.MP, cr.MK xx L/M/HK SBK

Edited by Mattatsu

or should i not even worry about this now, and just do cr.LP, cr.LP or something easy and safe? 

The thing about light punishes is that sometimes due to spacing and such you may not always get your two buttons to confirm. I found that what is best is to actually look them up and lab them out. Failing that just do the safest thing you have on deck. That should work for a bit.

Caveat: there are some things that are "big" light punishes for that rank. Stuff you know people are going to do that they are used to getting away with, but if you can duff them for it you can really turn a match on its head. When you punish a Ken HK Tatsu you can just feel them working on a scrubquotes post in response. 

From what I remember what you should be more focused on especially at those ranks are the -5 and worse moves because people still throw them around and that is your best way to rack up free damage. And of course the faster you can burn semi-optimal EX reversal punishes into your muscle memory the better. That is what is going to really carry you.

Chun has quite a few she can do (see spoiler) but they all seem very situational, as well as range-dependant, and I dont even really know what is or not punishable with a 3 or 4 frame light, so I’d like two buttons to help me confirm it...

or should i not even worry about this now, and just do cr.LP, cr.LP or something easy and safe? Keeping in mind I’m in Super/Ultra Bronze ranks at the moment, and probably don’t need optimal punishes right now. Also, since i’m very green with chun, I’d like to limit my options a bit.

Hide contents

3 frame:

4 frame:

Ideally, you want to get the most damage possible on each punish.  Realistically though, it can be difficult to always net the max punish in the heat of the moment.  A lot of situations require only one normal into special because of spacing.  For now, I'd got with whatever you find most comfortable in training mode since landing a sub-optimal punish is better than landing no punish at all.  

Reveal hidden contents

3 frame:

4 frame:

My go to is cr.lk xx L.LL, s.lp xx L.SBK 🙂

Just kidding, please don’t ever attempt that as a BnB...it’s 100% unnecessary 😆

Really as you said it’s situational, since Chun has different options and some things that will drop due to push back. 

It’s suboptimal, but my go to light confirm is usually

**cr.lk, cr.lp xx Medium or EX.LL**

It starts with a 3f low, it’s confirmable, very easy to hit, and if you burn meter on EX it knocks down. I know it’s a FG term but this combo is legit my bread n butter with her. 

Another easy one I like is cr.lk xx M.LL, cr.lk xx M.LL. The lightning legs both move forward a tad so it’s less likely to drop, and it does decent damage. 

And of course there is cr.lp,s.mp stuff. If you think the cr.mk will whiff you can always just cancel from the s.mp into Heavy LL. 

Yesterday I got my first pinched nerve in my hand playing a set in many months.  My ubereats driver and I kept running into each other at Gamestop and the manager there told him about all of the stuff I've done, including winning SFxT at EVO and Summer Jam, and working backstage last Capcom Cup recording the LCQ (that's a rant for another time, I figure enough time has passed where I can be candid about where that LCQ footage is).  We played a set a week prior at the Gamestop and yesterday I figured he was cool enough to invite to my place for SFVCE.  

Offline locals are finally back, but I'm masking sure he keeps his mask on.  He's absolutely not smoking the good herb at my place lol.  

Edited by Psychoblue
6 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Am I the only one that feels the netcode getting worse after each update? Every time they 'improve' the netcode people seem to be happy for the most part and I'm over here wishing they never touched anything.  

I haven’t played it much since the netcode update at the beginning of the year (I think 6 or 7 times only) but it was so sparse because the game was completely unplayable for me on PS4.

it’s still not great but I’ve had better luck these last few days than I’ve had since the update at the start of the year.

1 minute ago, Sonero said:

I'mma be honest. If a dude invites me to his hotel room and its to play SF5 instead of bedding me, its just gonna cause harm to my self esteem.

Like damn man, I ain't pretty enough to be harassed? Gotta make me play this bum ass game instead of objectifying me?

😭

Gotta win the FT5 for that dick.

Bro the lack offline sets REALLY hit me hard after that random encounter at Gamestop.  That's how desperate I'm getting: inviting my ubereats driver for a set and praying he's not some psycho who would stab me in my own house if I keep anti-airing him.  

When we played at Gamestop we played SFxT and ST on 30th Anni.  When he got a game off me using Blanka vs my Dhalsim (I forgot I had slide whoops) he popped off so hard that he shoved me into the gift card rack like a damn For Honor hazard.  I had to puff my chest out like Abi VT1 when he went to do it again so I don't get scratched up again.  I was a pretty physical kid playing sports with my classmates so that didn't bother me, but wooo.

Edited by Psychoblue