Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

3 minutes ago, Volt said:

Read the current GD Lounge page.

It's like bingo night at the retirement home, good grief.

Edit: Looks like the rise of the mummies is happening here as well...

Alright I'm on the case.  What do the kids like these days?

I'm throwin' out all these fighting game themes and putting in Among Us/Fortnite/Warzone.

I gotta figure out a way to add gacha/loot boxes to the forum too.

3 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

Are stomps even real in SFV? 

Even in 3S they're not some top tier shit, but they're still way scarier. The Ultimate scrub killer 

Compared to 3S his stomps are shit. 3S stomps can hit airborne opponents, can cross up and EX has tracking. None of which he has with his SF5 stomps. Frame advantage on block is all he gets. 

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Compared to 3S his stomps are shit. 3S stomps can hit airborne opponents, can cross up and EX has tracking. None of which he has with his SF5 stomps. Frame advantage on block is all he gets. 

I'd argue that one advantage makes them better.

8 minutes ago, Flackaveli said:

Niggas do TOO MUCH damage!!

I think the damage is at a "just right". You can do hella big damage under the right circumstances but nothing feels extreme. Compared to other FGs out and other SF games, season 5 damage isn't too crazy.

Problem wiht v-trigger will forever be how guaranteed all that nonsense is.

1 hour ago, Flackaveli said:

I’d give every character in the game an extra 100-200 hp this upcoming patch.

Vtrigger shit is too strong in this game. Niggas do TOO MUCH damage!!

This is a hard disagree from me. VT shit is definitely too strong, but more HP just gives ppl more opportunities to faceroll the controller until they get a good hit. I’m already running into so many more magic pixel situations because of that extra 25 HP many got last season. This would just make it so it’s even more necessary to get a jump in or big VT pop off combo to actually do anything. 

Also I always hate when ppl say SFV’s damage is high, because it feels like there needs to be an asterisk there. The overwhelming majority of characters only do good damage with VT or full meter. Outside of that the game is full of weak ass pokes and special moves. 

Also thanks for the Birdie suggestion. I’ll try him next time I play. 

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, Sonero said:

And here is more Daigo doing nonsensical things with hitbox:

CH st.mp, st.hp, flashkick XX super.

@FlyingVe you need to see Daigo's new ridiculous swag. The hitbox debate is going into a whole new level.

It was always going to happen.

In my opinion now that developer specific circuits rule many of the games (which will probably continue to be so for the foreseeable future), it’s gonna be up to the developer to make a call.

as I’ve said before, they either need to ban them officially or allow them. If they allow them, they need to make it a consideration when making the game, just like pads and sticks are considerations.

unrelated, I played SFV for the first time in several months last night. My opinion hasn’t really changed. The game is fun (in small doses), but VT is still the worst mechanic ever and there are too many characters.

Edited by FlyingVe
1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

The Doom Eternal DLC came out yesterday. 

RIP @Mattatsu's Fighting game time. We'll catch hands again around Christmas 

Lol, normally that would be true, but I’m not taking Dom as seriously as I was before... I did realize last night though that i don’t want to take fighting games too seriously either (I’m way too busy at work and I keep obsessing over other things to distract me, because honestly, the stress can be too much, but now i’m at a point where my work is completely suffering, so i just need to man up and get through this BS).

i’m not dropping games though, i still need some sanity, but for the next few weeks at least, it’s about just having fun when/if i get the chance, so basically, hit me up for games, and i’ll play whatever as long as I can.

3 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

How bout 100-200 extra stun? 

Is it just me, or is stunning waaaaaaay to frequent in SFV? 

Stun meter doesn’t deplete super fast like in SF4. It lets you maintain stun buildup of the opponent doesn’t honestly escape. So it’s not really the length of the stun bars that’s at play. I prefer that to the invisible stun than randomly 0’s out from other SF games.

Though, gun to my head, I don’t like stun as a mechanic in its entirety and would do away with it in favor of something else.

Edited by FlyingVe
5 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Regarding damage, i feel like the combo/VT damage is fine. As @Vhozitesaid though, i’d like things like pokes, projectiles, and AAs to do more... I’m not sure how that would be balanced, but it’s annoying AA’ing someone in a match 8 times and still losing because you missed two of them.

Naw, VT damage is way out of wack.

But that’s beating a dead horse if there ever was so... bleh.

VT blows.

but every game has its bad bits, VT is just more dominant than other games crap mechanics.

7 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

I can’t imagine what being this defensive of something like this.

It may be that they are weary of having their IP locked into twitter race issues stuff. They aren't trying to make a political statement by making Venom or Nagoriyuky black. Highlighting that as the main feature the character has going for them probably makes them feel iffy.

So like a damn fool I decided to grab the PC version of SF5. 

I completely forgot that the game runs like shit out of the box. Goddamn thing is underwater. Anyone have a straightforward guide to having it not run at slow-mo 30/40 FPS?

Turning off Vsync fixes the problem but then screen tears so goddamn bad it threatens to cut my eyes. Windowed mode helps a bit but its still chugging. 

33 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

there are too many characters.

I really want to talk about this...we are at 40 something characters again and fuck it feels impossible to have good matchup knowledge. There are a handful you’re always gonna know, but then there is the other 20 characters you rarely see and you get hit by gimmicks all day as you guess the frames on things.

It also feels like it’ll be this way for the foreseeable future, since money from DLC characters is probably the main source of post launch revenue 

11 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I really want to talk about this...we are at 40 something characters again and fuck it feels impossible to have good matchup knowledge. There are a handful you’re always gonna know, but then there is the other 20 characters you rarely see and you get hit by gimmicks all day as you guess the frames on things.

It also feels like it’ll be this way for the foreseeable future, since money from DLC characters is probably the main source of post launch revenue 

Yeah every fighting game gets that way after a while. It makes it impossible to ever really have a handle on what’s coming at you. It’s part of why I burn out on games as their roster gets huge.

An option is to go the arksys route and homogenize the frames more. But really, I just think this is the way it is now.

Edited by FlyingVe
32 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

Stun meter doesn’t deplete super fast like in SF4. It lets you maintain stun buildup of the opponent doesn’t honestly escape. So it’s not really the length of the stun bars that’s at play. I prefer that to the invisible stun than randomly 0’s out from other SF games.

Though, gun to my head, I don’t like stun as a mechanic in its entirety and would do away with it in favor of something else.

Yeah stun is a very “win-more” mechanic and probably shouldn’t exist.

The only thing I like about it is that it’s another metric that helps differentiate moves/combos. Like in an ideal world you have something that optimal damage, another option for optimal stun, then optimal oki, et. 

But if they axed stun tomorrow I wouldn’t care. 

3 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

Yeah every fighting game gets that way after a while. It makes it impossible to ever really have a handle on what’s coming at you. It’s part of why I burn out on games as their roster gets huge.

An option is to go the arksys route and homogenize the frames more. But really, I just think this is they way now.

Yeah I think this is sort of the inevitable end state of most FGs that are going to go the multi-character pass route for extended revenue (which as of right now is all of them). Even if you launch with a relatively modest roster (10-15, I think SF5 was 16?) it doesn't take too many 5-6 character batches before the game bloats up to near Vs level character options. 

4 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah stun is a very “win-more” mechanic and probably shouldn’t exist.

The only thing I like about it is that it’s another metric that helps differentiate moves/combos. Like in an ideal world you have something that optimal damage, another option for optimal stun, then optimal oki, et. 

But if they axed stun tomorrow I wouldn’t care. 

The other advantage of stun is that it changes the dynamic of how characters interact. If your stun is high you really don’t want to get clipped/thrown, and likewise if your opponents stun is high you don’t want to let them recover.

I think that has value, but I think there are other ways to accomplish that... if you even need it at all.

20 minutes ago, Sonero said:

It may be that they are weary of having their IP locked into twitter race issues stuff. They aren't trying to make a political statement by making Venom or Nagoriyuky black. Highlighting that as the main feature the character has going for them probably makes them feel iffy.

That’s a fair way to look at it since Twitter is a cesspool. But arguing that someone can’t be black they aren’t charcoal is weird.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

But arguing that someone can’t be black they aren’t charcoal is weird.

Ben Franklin said Swedish people were "swarthy" of complexion.

How people view skin tones and the associations with them are always weird. I'm not gonna get to hung up on whether or not the dude with the black skin and African hair is "black". For all we know they based him on the story of the black samurai who turned into a vampire. They probably think of him as being Japanese rather than Black American or African.

36 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

So like a damn fool I decided to grab the PC version of SF5. 

I completely forgot that the game runs like shit out of the box. Goddamn thing is underwater. Anyone have a straightforward guide to having it not run at slow-mo 30/40 FPS?

Turning off Vsync fixes the problem but then screen tears so goddamn bad it threatens to cut my eyes. Windowed mode helps a bit but its still chugging. 

It's not using your graphics card. Fix it in Nvidia's Control Panel/whatever the AMD equivalent is.

What are your specs again?