Stage Select

The FPS (Doom, etc) Thread

BTW, in doom eternal, I beat Cultist Base on UN and am excited about it. That’s the hardest level for me, so I feel like a UN run is actually doable.

Also, I figured out something somewhat cheap to do in the big arena in Doom Hunter Base which is definitely going to make other big arenas easier... Essentially, utlize the heavy demon waves and their weakpoints to your advantage. Knock off their weakpoints so they become weak and run around refilling all your resources off the fodder and get in good positioning to kill the final heavy to be prepared for the next wave. I actually use this time to master the flaming meathook during the second wave in that arena.

Edited by Mattatsu
4 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Modern Warfare Modern Warfare Modern Warfare Modern Warfare

Think I nailed it. 😎

I have two different friends begging me to get Warzone but I haven’t done it yet. I’m practicing for an Ultra Nightmare run in Doom Eternal so i don't want to do too much to take away from it right now. I also generally prefer more retro-style FPSs than tactical ones, but I loved CS on the Source (HL2) engine

1 minute ago, Dagu said:

Has anyone been able to put some time, into Star Wars Squadron yet? I've heard some good things thus far. However, I haven't been able to get hands on time with it yet myself.

I'm a super hardcore/experienced Ace Combat fan, but Squadrons is kicking my ass.

Game takes place in space, so you can turn in any direction and come to a full stop.  It's not quite Descent levels of movement, but it's kinda close.  A lot of my Ace Combat muscle memory is useless and setting the controls to mimic normal flight sims wasn't ideal.  Dodging missiles in this game is pretty difficult and the AI is pretty mean on hard difficulty.  I'm using default controls on an Xbox controller atm.

Definitely takes some getting used to, and seems to be a good balance between the complicated X-Wing games and the arcade-like Rogue Squadron games.

I'll probably end up sticking with Ace Combat in the end but I'm having a good time with it.

Just now, misterBee said:

I'm a super hardcore/experienced Ace Combat fan, but Squadrons is kicking my ass.

Game takes place in space, so you can turn in any direction and come to a full stop.  It's not quite Descent levels of movement, but it's kinda close.  A lot of my Ace Combat muscle memory is useless and setting the controls to mimic normal flight sims wasn't ideal.  Dodging missiles in this game is pretty difficult and the AI is pretty mean on hard difficulty.  I'm using default controls on an Xbox controller atm.

Definitely takes some getting used to, and seems to be a good balance between the complicated X-Wing games and the arcade-like Rogue Squadron games.

I'll probably end up sticking with Ace Combat in the end but I'm having a good time with it.

Thanks for the detailed reply, appreciate it! Sounds pretty solid, I'm going to have to pick it up...thanks again 👍

6 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

10th gen i7 CPU, RTX 2070 Max Q GPU, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD. 

It can run a little hot when I'm pushing it, but I guess it's designed to, and I have headphones so the noise doesn't bother me. 

It'll run, easy peasy. Mine is way way worse and Eternal ran at a stable 60 on high settings (when I had it).

31 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

is it worth grabbing it twice to experience it on PC.

It depends I guess. I would 100% grab it on PC if I could, despite having it on PS4. The hot keys and stuff is great, and while the game is still amazingly playable on a controller (with the right button layout and settings), I’d personally love to experience it without the hindrance of the weapon wheel, or quick-swapping between more than two guns. Then again, this is one of my favourite games ever, honestly, so that’s me. If i didn’t love it this much, I probably wouldn't bother.

Also, on PC, you can run things like the Horde mod by Proteh which looks amazing.

Rekkr is a viking themed total conversion mod released recently for classic Doom 1+2 rereleases on PS4/Xbox/Switch. The fact that Bethesda ok'd a total conversion gets me excited for what else we might see crop up. The potential for value out of these classic games is massive for console players.

Yeah, i wanted to play something that was a little more 3D (I beat 1 and 2 and started 64 but also had 3 and figured id go back). 3 was fun but didn't scratch my itch and i just went back into fighting games, and then got pulled back into eternal after a couple months and haven't ventured to other FPSs since. I’ll be staying with eternal  for a bit though - i want to beat UN before tackling the upcoming DLC.

In another thread, @M A R T I A N asked me for some of my thoughts on upgrade paths and things in Doom Eternal and I wrote a pretty detailed reply that I thought may be helpful to some of you here:

One thing i do, is I skip the second weapon mod on Hell On Earth (right after leaving the Barge) and come back to it at the end of the level via Fast Travel so i can leave that level with both the precision bolt mod and micro missile mod. Micro missiles is great at taking down hell knights in the early game after landing a couple stickies on them.

For my UN (practice) runs, i skip all of the Slayer gates and some of the harder Secret Encounters , so that effects some of the points i get, but I don’t spend any weapon points until I get the Rocket Launcher Lock-on burst mod on Cultist base, and i max it out right away. I upgrade the SSG with fast reload as soon as I get it (6 points), and then the fast meathook after the last arena on Cultist Base. In the first big arena in doom hunter Base, i keep the second revenant alive (after killing the first revenant and the second pinky), but i disarm it and run around meathooking fodder to get the SSG mastery (which is very helpful). Once i get it, i kill that revenant and then deal with the next wave that comes in, which is bit harder, but now I have some extra means of getting armor. I purposely don't master the lock on burst because i actually don't want it splitting its targetting across mutliple enemies - it’s really helpful to quickly kill (or fuck up) whiplashes, hell/dread knights, mancubi, and arachnotrons. The other upgrades I definitely want mastery on are Mobile Turret (great against barons of hell and the IOS), Ballista’s Arbalest (great against multiple Cacodemons, pain elementals, and the Sightless Judge on Nekravol 1), Heavy Cannon’s Micro Missiles (great against the Kahn Maykr), and Plasma Rifle’s Heat Blast (I love the PR against shielded soldiers or carcasses, and the heat blast is helpful in a pinch, so the damage buff after is nice if you use it a lot, but it’s not as needed (to me) as the ones i already mentioned).

my runes in order is Air Control, Blood Fueled, Equipment Fiend.

For sentinel crystals, i prioritize armor in any bonus that has it because it can be real plentiful with flame belch and mastered SSG so i want to be able to collect as much of it as i can get (its a life saver). I start with the Quick Belch bonus, then bottom left (cant remember what its called but it gives you more armor per enemy, but i do start this with the ammo capacity upgrade), then Loot Magnet, Armor Punch, Health Punch, then Napalm Belch (i get the ammo capacity upgrade in this bonus last as it refills your BFG ammo and i have plotted out when and where i use my BFG and crucible, and this lets me use a few extra BFG shots on Taras Nabad and Nekravol 1 , while refilling the BFG nicely on Nekravol 2).

my first praetor upgrade goes to Environmental: thicker skin (is helpful on Cultist Base on UN where an explosive barrel can nearly end your run), then I focus on Fundamental upgrades Grappler, Weapon Swapper, and Faster Dasher. Then do the Ice Bomb, starting at the 5 pointer and working my way down. Then I get the double frags for 5 points, then get the Glory Kill dash refill in Fundamental (I’d get this earlier, but Blood Fueled makes it a bit redundant), and then do the rest of the frag upgrades, the rest of the environmental (starting with the toxin one, which you should be able to get on Taras Nabad or earlier if you do more mission challenges than i usually bother with), and then whatever of the map stuff you want, but i never really use any of them.

also, if you don’t have it down yet. Master quick-swapping, where you fire one weapon and immediately swap to another to cancel the reload animation. You can tell you’re during it right if you can Ballista+SSG+Ballista the Marauder in one falter. Also, with this in mind, the cool down after a heat blast is killer, so before i master it, I always swap to another weapon right after blasting the secondary fire.

then, just generally, keep moving, jumping, and dashing; don’t forget about your equipment (flame belch, frags, and ice bomb); and remember that fodder are just moving resources for armor, ammo, and health that can hurt you if you let them, but your bigger prioritizes are usually the heavier enemies. Also, a lot of arenas happen in waves triggered by killing heavies, so don't always feel like you have to rush to kill heavies. Sometimes, knocking the turret off an arachnotron, or guns off a mancubus and keeping them alive, while you run around and replenish your resources against fodder is a life saver that ensures you’re more prepared for the next wave.

Note: despite how it sounds, I haven’t beaten UN yet, but I have beat nightmare like 9 times now and have beat every level without dying... Albeit, not in the same run, but I do think I can do it.

Edited by Mattatsu

Also, i bought Duke Nukem 3D World Tour on the Switch yesterday (it’s 50% off right now) and holy hell did i miss that game. The port is really, really nice, and i like the rendered graphics option. I had to mess around with the controls a bit, but it feels good now. My only complaint, and i’m not sure if it’s the game or the pro controller, but the deadzone on the right stick is terrible. I like a very high sensitivity on controller and it’s almost impossible to fine-tune your aim to hit some of the switches you need to shoot at a distance with your pistol. You almost need to lower the sensitivity just for those parts.

it really did make want to boot up Build.exe again though and have some fun. I’m going to look into getting this on my laptop, because i think i’d enjoy it more on it, even if build wont work with this version (it may, i dont know yet).

Yeah. The weapons are Borderlandsish; same with the buffs you pick up along the way (they have that weird, oh you lose X% and lose Y%) thing going with them.

But overall its pretty fun. Weapons all feel different in a good way too. Played it a bunch when I took a break from Hades. Didn't get to do the multiplayer stuff though.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here kept track of Duke3D throughout the years?

I have the latest release on switch, and while it’s great, it’s making me want to get it on PC and possibly start mapping again. There’s been a shitload of re-releases though and i don’t know where to start. I’ve heard of EDuke32 (and am aware that it comes with Mapster, a more modern version of the Build software), but is this the best way to go?

Also, @Dayaanif you’re enjoying the classic Doom experience, you may want to give Duke Nukem 3D a shot (the game released in ‘96). It was quite a step-up from Doom (encouraged mouse aiming, jumping and ducking, and had some cool items like jetpacks and things, while still using sprites). I actually prefered Duke3D at the time, as more care seemed to be put into the levels, and the weapons felt great.