Stage Select

The FPS (Doom, etc) Thread

I bought Doom Eternal a little while ago, it was only 20 euros for PS4. 

While the platforming gets on my nerves from time to time, I do enjoy the action. Controls are great, music's great. I like the weapon variety and the amount of monsters the game throws at you. I never finished the original Doom games because navigating the maze-like levels just became too tedious for me. I like how Eternal is a lot more clear on where you need to go, even if it's not always obvious at first. I'm currently in the mission for the last Hell Priest and I'm surprised how manageable the game is on the standard Hurt me Plenty difficulty; I was getting killed over and over in the beginning, but now I've got the hang of it. This will probably  be the first Doom game I will see through to the end.

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

Has anyone here kept track of Duke3D throughout the years?

I have the latest release on switch, and while it’s great, it’s making me want to get it on PC and possibly start mapping again. There’s been a shitload of re-releases though and i don’t know where to start. I’ve heard of EDuke32 (and am aware that it comes with Mapster, a more modern version of the Build software), but is this the best way to go?

Also, @Dayaanif you’re enjoying the classic Doom experience, you may want to give Duke Nukem 3D a shot (the game released in ‘96). It was quite a step-up from Doom (encouraged mouse aiming, jumping and ducking, and had some cool items like jetpacks and things, while still using sprites). I actually prefered Duke3D at the time, as more care seemed to be put into the levels, and the weapons felt great.

D3D was... alright. I don't like it as much as DOOM, which is odd since I love classic action movies. You're not allowed to make Stallones and Arnies and Pacinos in film, so I'm super nostalgic about badass protags. I just... don't like how D3D plays.

2 hours ago, Volta said:

While the platforming gets on my nerves from time to time

Curious how you have you controls setup. This bugged me too until I changed Jump to L1 and Dash to L3 so I could jump and dash without taking my thumbs off the sticks.

also, the Air Control rune is awesome. It allows you to shortcut some of the platforming a bit, as well as gets really handy for aerial combat (such as strafing to dodge a projectile in mid-air).

31 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Curious how you have you controls setup. This bugged me too until I changed Jump to L1 and Dash to L3 so I could jump and dash without taking my thumbs off the sticks.

also, the Air Control rune is awesome. It allows you to shortcut some of the platforming a bit, as well as gets really handy for aerial combat (such as strafing to dodge a projectile in mid-air).

It's not so much the controls as the frequency of playing monkey with all the bar-swinging and wall-climbing. I know the way you navigate the maps is a big part of classic Doom gameplay, I just never cared much for it. The combat certainly outweighs any minor issues I have with the game, though. 

14 minutes ago, Volta said:

It's not so much the controls as the frequency of playing monkey with all the bar-swinging and wall-climbing. I know the way you navigate the maps is a big part of classic Doom gameplay, I just never cared much for it. The combat certainly outweighs any minor issues I have with the game, though. 

Yeah, I understand that. I didn’t like the platforming so much on first playthrough either, but once you get better with catapulting yourself into the air with the meathook and other things, it becomes much more tolerable (and not just for meathook skips, but you get more used to being in the air, and your Aerial combat and Platforming both improve simultaneously over time that it makes it much easier).

6 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Has anyone here kept track of Duke3D throughout the years?

I have the latest release on switch, and while it’s great, it’s making me want to get it on PC and possibly start mapping again. There’s been a shitload of re-releases though and i don’t know where to start. I’ve heard of EDuke32 (and am aware that it comes with Mapster, a more modern version of the Build software), but is this the best way to go?

@Dayaan

Either EDuke32 or BuildGDX. I like BuildGDX since you can run most build games through it and it seems to be pretty good, I've seen a few people say it's better than EDuke32 now but I couldn't say really as I'm too ignorant in the subject. 

I dunno why I can't delete the @ in the quote. 

I beat the Doom Eternal DLC last night in Nightmare on PS4 and that was ridiculous in a good way. First of all, it is substantially harder than the base campaign, and that’s factoring in how familiar I am with the base levels. Each arena has a LOT more thrown at you. Hell, the last level took me 7 hours to beat because of how many times I’d die. The levels were expertly designed/made though, as it was a ton of fun, with a few new things added, and a lot of care was put into this. There’s a cool twist at the end too, which really makes me look forward to part 2, whenever that is.

because of how hard it is though, I do find it odd they’re selling this standalone. Anyone that’s jumping into this without getting used to the Eternal dance (which the base campaign does well to introduce you to) is going to get worked, to the point where it may not be fun. They would for sure have to start on the lowest difficulty.

Personally, I think I would have had more fun if I started on UV for my first playthrough, but at the same time, I’m happy I was able to beat it in Nightmare for my first run, even if I died 100+ times.

All in all, it was amazing. Very well made, fun, and challenging in the best way. I’d highly recommend it for anyone that’s beaten the campaign and wants more.

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, mowr said:

God when you get on the right flow there is just absolutely nothing that even comes close to the exhilaration this game offers

Its true. There were arenas I cleared fairly easily and exhilarating is the best word to describe the feeling of doing so, but I also love when you spend an hour or two in one fight, trying new paths and strategies, and finally everything clicks

Edited by Mattatsu
2 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Fuck I've been so busy I haven't even purchased it yet. How many new levels are there?

And are there any more/new upgrades or character progression?

There are three levels in Part 1, but they’re all pretty decently sized.

Sort of, but not much, you start it with everything unlocked from the campaign (minus the crucible) . The only additional thing is you get three support runes (two of which are found in slayer gates, and one’s hidden in a secret), and you can equip one of these (along with your three others from the base campaign).

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

Since we're talking about Duke3D, has anyone played Ion Fury?  It's pretty good:

I’m pre-ordering Ghostrunner this weekend, but Ion Fury is definitely the next game I’m buying. It looks awesome, and what they’ve been able to do with the build engine (even though is a much more advance one) is amazing. I spent years making maps in Build, so I’m happy just to look around and wonder how the hell they did everything.

I wish i could get it on PC but i actually don't think my PC could run it, despite running on a 20 year old engine (even though it’s been upgraded a lot), it seems to be somewhat demanding.

Just now, Mattatsu said:

I’m pre-ordering Ghostrunner this weekend, but Ion Fury is definitely the next game I’m buying. It looks awesome, and what they’ve been able to do with the build engine (even though is a much more advance one) is amazing. I spent years making maps in Build, so I’m happy just to look around and wonder how the hell they did everything.

I wish i could get it on PC but i actually don't think my PC could run it, despite running on a 20 year old engine (even though it’s been upgraded a lot), it seems to be somewhat demanding.

I don't think the game is that demanding -- if you can handle something like ZDoom then Ion Fury should be no problem.

The game only requires something like 1GB of RAM and a 512MB GPU. 

7 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I don't think the game is that demanding -- if you can handle something like ZDoom then Ion Fury should be no problem.

The game only requires something like 1GB of RAM and a 512MB GPU. 

Really? I may try it and return it if it doesn't play well. It seems pretty demanding on consoles from what i hear. PS4 has a couple small frame drops, and switch has to run it at 30 fps to keep it steady (there’s an option for up to 60 but its variable). My laptop is a 10 year old, non-gaming POS, so it struggles to run anything modern. It could run Half Life 2 at medium settings, and GzDoom, I think with no problem, but it ain’t touching a PS4 or switch’s power.

edit: from what i remember, the engine and renderer are still old, so they work on single threads, so it needs one core with decent speed.

Edited by Mattatsu

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned getting Ghostrunner, which is not an FPS but a first person adventure, parkor game where you’re a futuristic ninja with a sword. It launched today and the game concept, and theme is great and so is the OST, but this game has a some issues right now, mostly with graphics.

edit to add: I’m  not going to ask for a refund or anything like that though. It’s from a small indie developer and the game is really cool and fun. They also have been working pretty hard to patch this and while there are still some issues, it’s in better shape. I will be honest, it doesn’t look great on a standard PS4, but I still play classic Doom, Duke3D, and Street Fighter 2, so i don't care that much if I’m having fun, which i am.

Honestly, it’s a nice break from eternal. It does similar things in regards to pushing you to do better next time (and seems like a speedrunners dream tbh), and is fast (especially once you get good, like Eternal), but isn’t as stressful or mentally taxing. Beating a tough area doesn’t feel as exhilarating at Eternal (no other game does imo) but Eternal does that by throwing a lot of absolutely nuts things at you... IE, the low and highs are greater in Eternal, but the average enjoyment (and replayability imo) are the same.

Edited by Mattatsu
12 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

So what's your choice of controls?

Play Station layout

Xbox split layout

Keyboard and mouse

For FPS’s? I’d take keyboard and mouse everytime. Unfortunately, my PC is crap so any modern FPS has to be done on my playstation. Its been a while since i held an Xbox controller, but the PS controller has always been my favourite. I love its symmetry.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:40 AM, Mattatsu said:

Hell

👀

On 10/24/2020 at 10:36 PM, Mattatsu said:

runes

I didn't even know what they were or how they existed and worked in 2016. To be honest, I just ran and shot everything without upgrading anything or looking for secrets. I only found out what they were when watching speedruns. That stuff is so tight. It's good to hear once again that the DLC is great. I just landed a huge commission, so I'm saving that money for a PS4, but if another prospective client confirms he's in, I might be able to afford Eternal + DLC. You know what that means.

79b.gif

Also, I wonder if they'll make an Eternal Gods documentary. It seems like the Top Cat crew at id have totally leaned into the "Fuck you!" aspect of the game. Awesome. I wish we could go back to that experimental period of the PS2 where games were being games for the sake of being games. Remember Sonic Heroes? That 3D Rayman game? I sure as hell do. I'd argue that we are re-entering that period (and I would go as far as to say that DOOM 2016 started it) but we have a long way to go before the true limits of human capability in game development are realized - which is a good thing.

I think Matt and I also went over Ghostrunner, and I saw your tweets about an upcoming patch and also your images and footage. LOL @ the fact that the 720p video is better quality than the game. Pro tip: take your photos in 720p! You'll look more handsome, and your skin will look cleaner (Don't do this, you will look like you pickpocketed an iPhone 6).

P.S. I will most likely just stick to this thread in the foreseeable future. DOOM is just too interesting! Plus it's mostly hard to relate to stuff outside of here in a group like this.

Edited by Dayaan
6 hours ago, Dayaan said:

It seems like the Top Cat crew at id have totally leaned into the "Fuck you!" aspect of the game. Awesome.

Yeah, they really did. Every complaint about the game has been doubled-down on in the DLC, especially it’s difficulty. It is really fun, but it can also be exhausting. After a long day at work, I look at playing Eternal for a bit and the DLC is just too much on those days. The main campaign is a more relaxed experience.

6 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Matt and I also went over Ghostrunner, and I saw your tweets about an upcoming patch and also your images and footage. LOL @ the fact that the 720p video is better quality than the game.

Yeah, it’s a shame because the game is great and a lot of fun. I’m getting used to the graphic issues as it’s still definitely playable, butt he screen tearing, and no anti-aliasing on PS4 makes it seem like a PS2/3 game that’s been poorly ported over. I don’t care too much about graphics, so its not the end of the world, but at this state, it definitely looks like the worse new PS4 game I’ve personally seen, and nothing in the promo material alluded to this. in fact, i thought the game looked amazing, especially coming from an indie dev.

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Congrats on the commission, but serious question, why get a PS4? What are you planning on playing on it?

It's cheaper and has stuff I want.

I'm never interested in modern AAA titles, so PS5 won't bother me. I plan to play both Spider-Mans, Person 5: The Royal, Final Fantasy 7 Remake and so many more games that I couldn't run on my laptop.

9 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Speaking of Ancient Gods (which I think I accidentally called Eternal Gods) is the level design better or the same quality?

About the same, I’d say. The levels in Ancient Gods are really well done, but they were in the base game as well.

i’ve only played the DLC once (but did have to replay the last mission in full to do a secret that glitched out my first time), and the first level looks amazing, and may be my favourite designed level in the game. It takes place on kind of an oil rig thing in the middle of the Atlantic ocean with big waves and rain and stuff like that. I tend to prefer realistic earthly levels in any FPS, and this nailed it while giving you a new environment away from cities.

5 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

As in the levels were in the base game, let he quality was also in the base game?

Not sure what this means, but i think i get it... no the ancient god levels are not in the base game, they are new. i’m just saying the quality of them is about as good as the levels in the base campaign. They’re all great levels. The DLC ones are definitely harder though, on purpose.

30 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Not sure what this means, but i think i get it... no the ancient god levels are not in the base game, they are new. i’m just saying the quality of them is about as good as the levels in the base campaign. They’re all great levels. The DLC ones are definitely harder though, on purpose.

Sorry, phone typing is bad.

3 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Has anyone here ever looked into speedruns of Bulletstorm and Titanfall? It gets really hype really quickly. Much more exciting than modern DOOM games, where a significant portion of the most popular categories are section skipping. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it does look cool.

I haven't really paid much attention to speedrunning, but I do want to get into it, starting with Ghostrunner (as that’s kinda the purpose of it), but every time i think about doing it with any game, I get hung up about how I should do it... should I kill all of the bad guys, should I not; should I skip sections, should I not; etc.

I definitely prefer gitchless (no clipping) runs, but I always bounce back and forth with the other things.

anyways, i’ll heck those runs out. I’ve heard good things about Bulletstorm so that’s a good way to see if i’m interested.

9 minutes ago, mowr said:

Ancient Gods is so much of a better experience than the base campaign. Not having to unlock everything, the encounter density and variety is so much higher. It's pedal to the metal from start to finish. God DAMN I love this DLC. I'm gonna be solely replaying this over the base campaign for sure.

It’s true, but man, some days, i do not have the energy for it, lol

3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

It’s true, but man, some days, i do not have the energy for it, lol

That's fair, but if you're booting up Eternal in the first place, what else are you looking for other than that white knuckle intensity? The DLC is perfect for that, just start it up and go, no time wasting whatsoever.

4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I’ve heard good things about Bulletstorm

Good. Because that game is like... BFG Division personified. Which is strange considering that was the whole purpose of the BFG Div levels... Nevermind...

Bulletstorm is like the sense of satisfaction you feel when you jump off of buildings in your dreams as you soar over the city like a majestic motherfucker.

9 hours ago, mowr said:

I would try Bulletstorm if it didn't mean my money was going to Randy Pitchford.

Everyone in the Duke Nukem community hates this guy. Do you mind letting me know this guy is such as asshole?

I was debating buying DN3D World Tour for PC so I can map, but there are other ways to get DN3D.

I also want to get ion fury which uses the same engine and made by the eduke company (Voidpoint) , but I don’t think my pc will run that as well - though I will try

Edited by Mattatsu
2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Everyone in the Duke Nukem community hates this guy. Do you mind letting me know this guy is such as asshole?

I was debating buying DN3D World Tour for PC so I can map, but there are other ways to get DN3D.

I also want to get ion fury which uses the same engine and made by the eduke company (Voidpoint) , but I don’t think my pc will run that as well - though I will try

Go for it!

Also, would anyone be interested in watching me play DOOM? 🤔

38 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Go for it!

Also, would anyone be interested in watching me play DOOM? 🤔

I would but if I’m not interacting with you (discord or something), and you’re not soeedrunning or something. I may not keep interest up for too long.

im also stupid busy this week, weekend, and next week, and don’t have much time

On 10/30/2020 at 3:19 PM, Mattatsu said:

There's a lot of shit, but straight up lying about Aliens: Colonial Marines, assaulting his staff, withholding bonuses, destroying Duke Nukem, just generally being a greaseball,

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/5gtbhy/eli5_why_does_everyone_hate_gearboxrandy_pitchford/

Doom Eternal: I just learned that minigun shield protects you from fall damage.