Stage Select

The FPS (Doom, etc) Thread

Just a quick update about Ghostrunner, i know it’s not a FPS, but it!s a first person slasher that i’ve mentioned a few times here. It had some pretty huge issues with the PS4 version at launch, but a patch came out today to fix those. This game’s great. I’m actually playing it more these days than eternal (not saying i like it more, but it is really cool and fun).

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, i saw that too. Unfortunately it happened after i had the default one memorized so i didn’t want to F up my muscle memory, but it’s a nice option.

I thought the same at first but ballista being on a diagonal was fucking me up in the middle of fights. I adapted much faster than I thought I would. I've got SSG on N, Heavy Cannon on E, Ballista on S and Rocket Launcher on W and the rest (which I consider to be more situational weapons) on diagonals.

Edited by mowr

I don't know why they haven't thought to give console players the option for weapon switch shortcuts. The game slows down when you hold weapon wheel anyway, so you're not going to need all your other buttons while switching, so why not give us a setting where holding down the weapon switch button + entering another button will switch to the weapon mapped for that button?

Say R2 is your weapon wheel button, whilst R2 is held pressing your other buttons would instead of the normal function switch to the weapon you've mapped to that button, so while X might normally be your melee, while holding R2 pressing X will switch to Ballista for example.

16 minutes ago, mowr said:

They should also give us the option to define the amount of time needed to hold down weapon wheel to bring it up.

What are you thinking?

Personally I think it’s perfect. While it seems like it would be better if it came up quicker, a few times while doing combos, I pressed the change weapon button down just long enough to bring up the wheel and drop the combo

3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

What are you thinking?

Personally I think it’s perfect. While it seems like it would be better if it came up quicker, a few times while doing combos, I pressed the change weapon button down just long enough to bring up the wheel and drop the combo

I'm thinking if you want, you should have the option to remove the tap for last held weapon switch function altogether and instead rely entirely on weapon switch + mapped weapon button. It would be a choice, but a choice that could give you instant weapon switching for the entire arsenal at the cost of having to hold+release an extra button through your combos.

Edited by mowr
2 minutes ago, mowr said:

I'm thinking if you want, you should have the option to remove the tap for last held weapon switch function altogether and instead rely entirely on weapon switch + mapped weapon button. It would be a choice, but a choice that could give you instant weapon switching for the entire arsenal at the cost of having to hold+release an extra button through your combos.

Ah, I see your point. Yeah, in combination with your button idea, that should be able to get use to combo like every gun. I like that, and now I want that!

6 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

I heard a while back about keyboard integration on one or both of the main consoles. Can you do that with DOOM on PS4? Might help. I tried 2016 on DS4, Switch Pro Controller and keyboard, and settled on the superiority of keeb.

Unfortunately there's no KB+M support for Eternal.

5 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

I heard a while back about keyboard integration on one or both of the main consoles. Can you do that with DOOM on PS4?

Not yet, it was requested at launch on the Doom Reddit, and someone from id or Bathesda said they’d look into it, but it hasn’t been done yet, and frankly, I don’t expect it to since Bathesda is selling this contraption:

spacer.png

which is a licensed PS4 controller, but it’s not a true keyboard and mouse. The buttons replace buttons on a DS4 controller and the mouse takes over your right analog stick. Also, it’s a bit clunky from what I read. There’s a button to toggle different sensitivity for if your turning or aiming, and frankly that sounds horrible. The look smoothing option in id’s controller settings take care of this issue

7 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

That looks fucking awesome. I mostly use a config like that for art and streaming art, but I can see it working well for DOOM. At the same time, there is no conceivable way to justify that price point.

Well the problem is that the PS4 doesn’t realize it’s not a DS4 controller. when you use the mouse, it actually thinks you’re moving the right stick in that direction, so it won’t be like a real mouse where you can move it quickly and it will react accordingly. That’s why there’s a button to toggle different sensitivity settings for if you want to turn or aim.

the Doom controller settings do have a “look smoothing” setting where if you move the right stick within the inner sections of it, it automatically lowers the sensitivity so your aim is finer, but if you jam it all the way to one direction, it will cancel that so you can still have fast turn speed and the best of both worlds. I don’t know how this fake mouse would work with that though because I don’t know if it has an endpoint like right stick does.

also, this still wouldn’t allow for weapon hot keys, which IMO, is the biggest benefit of M+KB support.

Edited by Mattatsu

I think I know why DOOM's level design is so nostalgic to me, someone who never grew up with it.

There are some levels in the severely underrated Spider-Man games on the PS3 that had extremely unique takes on a villain's progression through the environment. Specifically for DOOM, I think id perfected the 2099 and Ultimate universe looks from Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time. I'd invite you to watch these videos for context.

1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

Well the problem is that the PS4 doesn’t realize it’s a controller, when you use the mouse, it actually thinks you’re moving the right stick in that direction, so it won’t be like a real mouse where you can move it quickly and it will react accordingly. That’s why there’s a button to toggle different sensitivity settings for it you want to turn or aim.

the controller settings do have a “look smoothing” setting where if you move the right stick within the inner sections of it, it automatically lowers the sensitivity so your aim is finer, but if you jam it all the way to one direction, it will cancel that so you can still have fast turn speed and the best of both worlds. I don’t know how this fake mouse would work with that though because I don’t know if it has an endpoint like right stick does.

also, this still wouldn’t allow for weapon hot keys, which IMO, is the biggest benefit of M+KB support.

Oh seriously? That sounds horrible.

8 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

I think I know why DOOM's level design is so nostalgic to me, someone who never grew up with it.

There are some levels in the severely underrated Spider-Man games on the PS3 that had extremely unique takes on a villain's progression through the environment. Specifically for DOOM, I think id perfected the 2099 and Ultimate universe looks from Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time. I'd invite you to watch these videos for context.

Just skipping through these vids and I definitely see it.

I'm thinking about changing my rune list for the DLC. The much increased number of enemies and more tightly designed arenas is making blood fueled feel a little less useful now.

I'm thinking on my next playthrough to try:

1. Air control

2. Equipment fiend

3. Savagery

Savagery sort of achieves a similar thing as blood fueled does in getting out of bad situations faster, in that the quicker glory kill lets you teleport to an enemy for a quick kill then move on before enemies get a chance to crowd you, but it also gives you armor from some glory kills after meathook so you get a little extra survivability from that too.

Oh yeah and the support rune is obviously break blast.

Edited by mowr
50 minutes ago, mowr said:

the support rune is obviously break blast.

That seems to be everyone’s support rune of choice. I did the blood punch one but really didn’t find it to useful. I’ll try that next run.

you also have a good point about bloodfueled. I loved its quick getaway, but you’re right about the more congested fights and I didn’t realize that the quicker GK speed of savagery was quick enough to allow the flaming meathook to drop armor. I’m going to have to try that too.

fwiw, I really do wanna try this on UN. I know it’s ridiculous, but I feel like with enough practice, I can do it. I just need a better strat for the last two phases of the last boss because right now, that’s the only thing that makes a UN run seem absolutely impossible to me. The thing I like about this though, is that it can be done in one playthrough on a weeknight or something, whereas I can’t do that with the base campaign and I don’t like having to split up my run like that.

Edited by Mattatsu
38 minutes ago, CDB2k20 said:

Finished the DLC late last night!!

Tired The Big Bang Theory GIF

I don't think I'm touching this one on any of the higher difficulties!!

I was getting my ass handed to me on Hurt Me Plenty!! 

How late? Lol. On my first play through, I started the last level at 8:30pm on a Friday night, thinking I’d be asleep by midnight and didn’t beat the fucking thing until 3:30am, lol

24 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Have any of you guys spotted Daisy in any of the DLC levels? I looked for her, but either they made her much harder to find, or they didn’t include her

I know she's in UAC Atlantica at least, she's in a vent around the back of the electrified pool room which has the Archvile spawn in immediately after.

I know she's in UAC Atlantica at least, she's in a vent around the back of the electrified pool room which has the Archvile spawn in immediately after.

I should have specified that I wasn’t looking for locations just wanted to know if she was in it 🤣.

I love finding her myself. Sort of a “Where’s Waldo” thing. I still haven’t found her in Super Gore Nest or Final Sin yet, but I will.

Oops.

It’s all good! I’ll probably forget it by the next time I go looking anyway, and it’s not your fault lol. I appreciate you letting me know. I just wanted to know before I spent hours looking for her in the levels, only to find out later they didn’t add her

Edited by Mattatsu