Stage Select

The FPS (Doom, etc) Thread

Jesus, that guy has the whole thing figured out to a tea. That’s nuts. I’m going to have watch that when I have some more time to see how he tackles the last boss.

and yeah, I definitely didn’t see the use of the destroyer blade in the base campaign. Hell, I don’t even pick it up as per of my strategy, but I’ve seen a lot of people use it very effectively in the DLC.

8 minutes ago, mowr said:

God I fucking love Doom Eternal. The only reason I don't play it more is because of the physical toll it takes on my mortal body.

Funny. I love the game too, but dont play it as much as I’d like because of how mentally stressed and exhausted from work these days.

i decided before i try figuring out how to properly do a DLC UN run, i need to beat the base campaign on UN first. I know i can do it, but i’m so fatigued after work, i don't seem to be playing my best. I've also had to catch up on work over the weekends, and it seems to hit me at random times when I'm playing Doom that i should be doing work, and then i get stressed/anxious and lose focus. I’m hoping i can sort out this workstuff soon, because i haven't played in a few weeks now, and i absolutely miss it.

15 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Funny. I love the game too, but dont play it as much as I’d like because of how mentally stressed and exhausted from work these days.

i decided before i try figuring out how to properly do a DLC UN run, i need to beat the base campaign on UN first. I know i can do it, but i’m so fatigued after work, i don't seem to be playing my best. I've also had to catch up on work over the weekends, and it seems to hit me at random times when I'm playing Doom that i should be doing work, and then i get stressed/anxious and lose focus. I’m hoping i can sort out this workstuff soon, because i haven't played in a few weeks now, and i absolutely miss it.

That sucks breh, I do know what you mean though. Even before you boot up the game you know you need to be fucking ready.

6 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

For those unaware, ever wondered what New Doom looks like in classic mode?

I thought this was going to be the classic render mode that’s coming to Doom Eternal (I believe next month?), but this still looks awesome. The levels look well-made and you can jam -pack the maps with sprites, My old laptop should be able to run this. I’ll try it out.

41 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

@MattatsuIn my never-ending search to play Eternal for cheap, I'm doing a library share on Steam with a friend. I just finished the first mission of Eternal, like, completely. GAWDLIKE!

You haven’t seen nothing yet. I was actually somewhat underwhelmed after the first level because I was getting used to the lack of melee attacks and needing to chainsaw every two minutes.

Around the third level (Cultist Base) I started understanding how they want you to play (keep moving, swapping weapons, using the right weapons for different situations, and use your various grenades and flame belch often). It was overwhelming at first actually. I felt too stupid to be able to handle it.

by the 5th level though (Super Gore Nest) things really start clicking and you’ll start understanding what doom Eternal is all about.

im glad you’re enjoying it so much already though. That’s a good sign.

31 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

You haven’t seen nothing yet. I was actually somewhat underwhelmed after the first level because I was getting used to the lack of melee attacks and needing to chainsaw every two minutes.

Around the third level (Cultist Base) I started understanding how they want you to play (keep moving, swapping weapons, using the right weapons for different situations, and use your various grenades and flame belch often). It was overwhelming at first actually. I felt too stupid to be able to handle it.

by the 5th level though (Super Gore Nest) things really start clicking and you’ll start understanding what doom Eternal is all about.

im glad you’re enjoying it so much already though. That’s a good sign.

Fuck, man, I can't wait. To my understanding, I can't play when he's signed in, but that's fine since he's sleeping when I'm awake - timezones and all that. Cultist Base looks really fucking cool too.

@MattatsuI just finished Cultist Base. That was awesome. I love to hate Whiplash. So hard to catch, but I'm lucky I got the microwave beam instead of the heatwave like in 2016. That bit of experimentation was crucial. Now that I have the rocket launcher and the super shotgun, I should feel stronger, but I still feel so nerfed compared to 2016! The challenge is good though, but the puzzles are a bit questionable. We'll see with time how I fare.

39 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

@MattatsuI just finished Cultist Base. That was awesome. I love to hate Whiplash. So hard to catch, but I'm lucky I got the microwave beam instead of the heatwave like in 2016. That bit of experimentation was crucial. Now that I have the rocket launcher and the super shotgun, I should feel stronger, but I still feel so nerfed compared to 2016! The challenge is good though, but the puzzles are a bit questionable. We'll see with time how I fare.

Interesting you like the microwave beam. I hated it, lol. For whiplashes, i’d just lock-on burst them with the rocket launcher.

also, for the SSG, work on its mastery (flaming meathook), but also, play around with using it as a catapult in big, open areas.

also, i highly recommend the air control rune. Imo, its the most important rune there is

15 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Interesting you like the microwave beam. I hated it, lol. For whiplashes, i’d just lock-on burst them with the rocket launcher.

also, for the SSG, work on its mastery (flaming meathook), but also, play around with using it as a catapult in big, open areas.

also, i highly recommend the air control rune. Imo, its the most important rune there is

I just took out the second Hell Priest. Those DOOM Hunters are mad scary. To think that the Marauders are going to be even harder...

Also, going back to play DOOM II and then playing 2016 and Eternal today, the designs from Eternal have really grown on me. The environments too, but places the Cultist Base are best rendered in 2016's renders of the UAC/industrial complexes. Eternal's industrial levels are far more ambitious though. If I had to choose a painting of that landscape, I'd go with 2016, but if I had to choose which ones to play, Eternal all the way.

I don't even think I've been to Hell yet in Eternal, so let's see how much fire, flame and fury is down there. 2016 had a lot of chains, stone, rocks and blood all over the walls and floor, like torture was happening everywhere. Torture is cool, but we need torment! We need genocide! We need nightmares and screams and blood showers. 2016's Hell seemed like a demon's home where it was comfortable with all the violence around it. The thing is, so is the Slayer. For Eternal, Hell should seem like I'm an intruder being treated like a hostile in a place where the uniting aspect of all demonhood is their common hatred and fear of me. I need to be like the beast that broke the chains, killed my torturers, then drank their blood to fuel my conquest of the monsters that ripped away my flesh and fluids.

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

I just took out the second Hell Priest. Those DOOM Hunters are mad scary. To think that the Marauders are going to be even harder...

I domt know if that’s true. The Marauders are simple once you know how to deal with them. I will say that the tutorial isn't very helpful. It’s actually a little misleading. Like the doom hunter one was.

i dom’t want to tell you how to deal with the marauder (so you can figure it out on your own), but if you want tips, let mw know.

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

Also, going back to play DOOM II and then playing 2016 and Eternal today, the designs from Eternal have really grown on me. The environments too, but places the Cultist Base are best rendered in 2016's renders of the UAC/industrial complexes. Eternal's industrial levels are far more ambitious though. If I had to choose a painting of that landscape, I'd go with 2016, but if I had to choose which ones to play, Eternal all the way.

I don't even think I've been to Hell yet in Eternal, so let's see how much fire, flame and fury is down there. 2016 had a lot of chains, stone, rocks and blood all over the walls and floor, like torture was happening everywhere. Torture is cool, but we need torment! We need genocide! We need nightmares and screams and blood showers. 2016's Hell seemed like a demon's home where it was comfortable with all the violence around it. The thing is, so is the Slayer. For Eternal, Hell should seem like I'm an intruder being treated like a hostile in a place where the uniting aspect of all demonhood is their common hatred and fear of me. I need to be like the beast that broke the chains, killed my torturers, then drank their blood to fuel my conquest of the monsters that ripped away my flesh and fluids.

As you’ve seen so far (and will continue to see) every level in Eternal is very different than any other level in it. You go from a city, to Exultia, to Hell, to the Arctic, etc.

The second part of Exultia was a part of Hell, but it wasn’t very Hell-ish... Nekravol is coming up though, and it’s about as Hellish as you can get

19 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Almost. I almost got filtered by the fucking Marauder. That was hard as shit, but only after the dog appeared. How the hell do you deal with that?

The dog only appears if you (or a demon) shoots his shield.

stay away from him (long range is better than close) and wait for him to attack you with the green eyes, then shoot.

when he’s faltered, shoot him again.

if you haven’t learned how to do quickswap combos (firing SSG and swapping to ballista and firing it (for example) before seeing the SSG-reload), then work on it. With a SSG-Ballista quickswap combo, you can shoot him three times (ie, SSG-Ballista-SSG or Ballista-SSG-Ballista) when he’s faltered.

Edited by Mattatsu
28 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

The dog only appears if you (or a demon) shoots his shield.

stay away from him (long range is better than close) and wait for him to attack you with the green eyes, then shoot.

when he’s faltered, shoot him again.

if you haven’t learned how to do quickswap combos (firing SSG and swapping to ballista and firing it (for example) before seeing the SSG-reload), then work on it. With a SSG-Ballista quickswap combo, you can shoot him three times (ie, SSG-Ballista-SSG or Ballista-SSG-Ballista) when he’s faltered.

Yeah I got that down, but I'll make sure to stay clear of the shield from now on. Also I just shot a hole into the surface of Mars. It's good (and bad) to hear Hayden in my ear again. Let's see where this takes me in the future. For today, I played through 3 levels, which I'm sure you know is exhausting in Eternal. I'm done.

Hey, wow, I did it, eh?

Finished in 13 hours flat. Easily my favourite game of all time. So fun! And what a hard boss! BFG is useless vs Marauder, Khan Makyr and Icon, huh? I learned that the hard way. God that felt amazing. In 1 day (today) I completed 6 stages, and freed up the Marauder. Dude is EASY MONEY. But fucking hell, that was a hard ass game, and you were right @Mattatsu you really do learn the complexities of the DOOM dance in Nekravol onwards. You must be a beast. I can only imagine what you'll be capable of with quick switching.

I'm open to go on and have a whole discussion about it, but that's giddy teenager-ness that I've worked hard to withhold for maturity purposes. 

And yes, that torment was there.

Nice job @Dayaan!

just an FYI, the BFG is useful against the Kahn Maykr (it completely destroys one of her shields on a direct hit) and the Icon (it completely destroys one of his pieces on a direct hit). 

And truthfully, i’m not great at the game. I have just beat it a bunch of times, and you get to know the right weapons for the right occasions, what to expect in the various fights, and you get better at making smart calls quickly.

for what it’s worth, on my first playthrough, i struggled on Hurt Me Plenty. My second HMP play-through felt a bit easier, so then I tried UV, and struggled again.

the thing i really love about this game, is you notice very obvious improvement every new campaign run you do. Yeah, i can beat it on Nightmare, mostly with dying around 10 times or less in the whole campaign, but it took more than a dozen playthroughs to get there.

one thing i really love is replaying it and fine-tuning my a strategies (upgrade paths, how to navigate various fights - like who to kill first, where to run to, etc). It doesn't hurt that the game is so god damn fun, but i found a lot of pleasure in finding the easiest/most efficient way to play through the campaign and fine tune it everytime i replay it.

Edited by Mattatsu
47 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Nice job @Dayaan!

just an FYI, the BFG is useful against the Kahn Maykr (it completely destroys one of her shields on a direct hit) and the Icon (it completely destroys one of his pieces on a direct hit). 

And truthfully, i’m not great at the game. I have just beat it a bunch of times, and you get to know the right weapons for the right occasions, what to expect in the various fights, and you get better at making smart calls quickly.

for what it’s worth, on my first playthrough, i struggled on Hurt Me Plenty. My second HMP play-through felt a bit easier, so then I tried UV, and struggled again.

the thing i really love about this game, is you notice very obvious improvement every new campaign run you do. Yeah, i can beat it on Nightmare, mostly with dying around 10 times or less in the whole campaign, but it took more than a dozen playthroughs to get there.

one thing i really love is replaying it and fine-tuning my a strategies (upgrade paths, how to navigate various fights - like who to kill first, where to run to, etc). It doesn't hurt that the game is so god damn fun, but i found a lot of pleasure in finding the easiest/most efficient way to play through the campaign and fine tune it everytime i replay it.

Damn really? I guess I just missed all the shots; I never aimed it. 

I'll give it a shot then on Nightmare.

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

DOOM 2016 is like $6 on Steam.

@Mattatsuis this the one you told me to play? Eternal is also only $20

Honestly, you can’t go wrong with either. Eternal is my favourite of the two, but 2016 was still great... Eternal just added a bunch if things that will make it hard for me to play 2016 again, so if you have any inclination to play both, start with 2016.

2016 is a bit more realistic in its atmosphere and I feel like there’s more to explore im the levels (like for secrets and such), whereas Eternal is a bit more straight-forward and arcade-like. I do find Eternal to be faster paced though (and more fun), and i think that’s part of the reason why (though the extra mobility options is a bigger factor).

Edited by Mattatsu
7 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Thanks @Mattatsu

ill start with 2016! Gotta hurry up an install my HD

It’s a good choice. 2016 is actually more of a traditional FPS... They definitely have some unique features (like the glory kills to get health and some other things), but Eternal adds a bunch more stuff that really make it more of a unique experience (while still very much an FPS of course) so 2016 is a good transition.

also, 2016 is still amazing. I’m a big fan of classic FPS games (Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Turok, Quake, Half-Life, etc), and 2016 was my favourite single player FPS since Half-Life 1.

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

It’s a good choice. 2016 is actually more of a traditional FPS... They definitely have some unique features (like the glory kills to get health and some other things), but Eternal adds a bunch more stuff that really make it more of a unique experience (while still very much an FPS of course) so 2016 is a good transition.

also, 2016 is still amazing. I’m a big fan of classic FPS games (Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Turok, Quake, Half-Life, etc), and 2016 was my favourite single player FPS since Half-Life 1.

Yeah I’m just starting with 2016 so I’m not “tainted” by Eternal. I’ve played later games in a series before that make going back hard so I get it. I’ll let you know what I think when I get a chance to play it 

I JUST BOUGHT IT FOR CHEAPER ON MY XBOX. I didn't think I'd get DOOM on Switch this year...but this gets me:

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/4vjyTl2Ed4oblB0udZcrkQ/nintendo-switch-faq-and-known-issues?utm_source=Community&utm_medium=Social

the size is 18GB? How could they be unable to fit it on the cartridge? 

No physical release at this time? does that mean down the line it's going to happen? 

I am willing to double dip down the line...

DOOM Eternal on Switch is about to like Minecraft at night. 

Although, to be real, 2016 looked ok on the Switch. I think what they'll do for Eternal is just take the number of polygons in any given artefact, divide that by 10, and then reduce the enemy count while making them stronger. That's the only way I see them accommodating Nekravol, Taras Nabad and Final Sin. Thoughts @Mattatsu?

29 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

DOOM Eternal on Switch is about to like Minecraft at night. 

Although, to be real, 2016 looked ok on the Switch. I think what they'll do for Eternal is just take the number of polygons in any given artefact, divide that by 10, and then reduce the enemy count while making them stronger. That's the only way I see them accommodating Nekravol, Taras Nabad and Final Sin. Thoughts @Mattatsu?

I didn't consider that it might actually be a downgrade in any way but purely performance/graphical, if the gameplay is also altered that would be a huge bummer.

I could be wrong, but based on the trailer, the movement speed looks to be a little slower than it is on PS4. I’m curious if they had to lower the speed to allow for the processor to keep up?

I’d also imagine some textures are going to lower defintion and maybe lower FPS. I can’t see them removing/altering enemies, but hell if i know... i’m shocked this thing is even coming out before a Switch Pro is announced. Then again, this is one of the best optimized games i’ve seen.

Have you guys tried the Super Gore Nest master level? 2 Marauders in one room... and the floor is sludge. The level is insane. You get dropped in a tiny box and have to deal with Tyrants and stuff. Too much. I love it.

I also just watched my friend finish DOOM Eternal. I tried to break down the entire lore for him, and he didn't understand a lick of it. It's so, so deep and confusing, but also really fulfilling to grasp.