Stage Select

The FPS (Doom, etc) Thread

On 12/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, Dayaan said:

Have you guys tried the Super Gore Nest master level? 2 Marauders in one room... and the floor is sludge. The level is insane. You get dropped in a tiny box and have to deal with Tyrants and stuff. Too much. I love it.

I also just watched my friend finish DOOM Eternal. I tried to break down the entire lore for him, and he didn't understand a lick of it. It's so, so deep and confusing, but also really fulfilling to grasp.

I still need to play that. It looks awesome. I’m really looking forward to the classic mode. I’d love for them to add that to all master levels actually

3 hours ago, mowr said:

How in the hell did they pull this off? Game seems to be a very nearly rock solid 30 from all the footage I've seen and load times appear comparable with base console times as well, a reasonable 20-ish seconds.

Yeah, they did a great job from what i’ve seen, but the 30 FPS while definitely amazing that they could achieve that fairly steadily, does look a little rough when you’re used tp 60. I may pick it up if it ever goes on a cheap enough sale though, mostly because im curious to try the gyro controls... Actually, I think Dusk is coming to the switch at some point. I’ll likely get that first.

I've been playing the switch version for a bit, up to cultist base now. There are frame drops here and there but nothing too disruptive for me personally, the vast majority of the time it's a steady 30 even in heavy combat.

What surprised me is that the loading times on death are even faster than base consoles, I was consistently getting about 10 seconds to load a checkpoint after death vs the base console's 20-ish seconds. Loading a new level is around the same time though, roughly 20 seconds.

The motion aiming does actually help quite a bit. I'm hitting shots I would have had more trouble with on PS4. It takes a bit of getting used to but now it feels natural to switch between stick and gyro aiming on the fly when I need more precision for a shot.

Edited by mowr
On 12/9/2020 at 11:07 AM, mowr said:

I've been playing the switch version for a bit, up to cultist base now. There are frame drops here and there but nothing too disruptive for me personally, the vast majority of the time it's a steady 30 even in heavy combat.

What surprised me is that the loading times on death are even faster than base consoles, I was consistently getting about 10 seconds to load a checkpoint after death vs the base console's 20-ish seconds. Loading a new level is around the same time though, roughly 20 seconds.

The motion aiming does actually help quite a bit. I'm hitting shots I would have had more trouble with on PS4. It takes a bit of getting used to but now it feels natural to switch between stick and gyro aiming on the fly when I need more precision for a shot.

*Laughs in PC*

Gonna advocate some more for the Switch version of Eternal, I am beyond impressed with this port. I'm completing slayer gates on nightmare first try, that's how playable this version is. I'm using the gyro aim to take out maykr drones way more easily than I would on PS4. 

Yes, of course visually it's not a stunner, but when you're in the midst of combat are you really thinking about that? Christ the fact that we have a handheld game of this caliber, it makes me genuinely excited for the future of portable gaming if I can play Doom E-fucking-Ternal anywhere I want. I remember when I was excited to get an original fat gameboy for Pete's sake.

If Panic Button somehow come back to patch this up to be even better that's just icing on the cake, but I'm very happy with the state it's in even now.

Edited by mowr

@MattatsuOpinions on Ghostrunner? I just played the demo and it's fucking awesome. It runs at 60 on the lowest settings for me, so there are clearly optimization issues, but it feels awesome to play, to the degree that I was mashing left shift twice to double dash - when there's no double dash in the game. That's awesome to me that it demands that kind of attention, and I'm already speedrunning the demo.

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

@MattatsuOpinions on Ghostrunner? I just played the demo and it's fucking awesome. It runs at 60 on the lowest settings for me, so there are clearly optimization issues, but it feels awesome to play, to the degree that I was mashing left shift twice to double dash - when there's no double dash in the game. That's awesome to me that it demands that kind of attention, and I'm already speedrunning the demo.

Depends what you’re looking for. I got it to be an introduction to speedrunning, with the goal of maybe beating the whole game without dying, or eventually working on speedrunning the whole game...

unfortunately, every levels gets bigger and harder and i realized a few levels in that the game would be impossible (for me anyway) to beat without dying, as well as the levels get too big and complicated for me to want to speedrun them.

the only level i had fun trying to speedrun was the first one, which you already have lol.

the game is cool though, but the story seems kinda meh, and there is a “cyber void” area that gets introduced in the second level, which i think occurs in every level after and you cant use your abilities in it (including dashes) and it slows the game right down (which adds to why i only liked speedrunning the first level).

if your goal isn't speedrunning though, it’s a pretty cool game.

also, yeah, the game isnt optimized too well. They fixed the major issues ps4 had (no anti-aliasing and a lower FPS), but even with those fixed, the graphics seem to be at 720p or something. It looks fine, but doesn’t look great.

Finally, playing this game on controller is very difficult. It really seems like it has to be played with mouse and keyboard, which took away my enjoyment as well, so read my whole post above with a grain of salt.

Edited by Mattatsu
19 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Depends what you’re looking for. I got it to be an introduction to speedrunning, with the goal of maybe beating the whole game without dying, or eventually working on speedrunning the whole game...

unfortunately, every levels gets bigger and harder and i realized a few levels in that the game would be impossible (for me anyway) to beat without dying, as well as the levels get too big and complicated for me to want to speedrun them.

the only level i had fun trying to speedrun was the first one, which you already have lol.

the game is cool though, but the story seems kinda meh, and there is a “cyber void” area that gets introduced in the second level, which i think occurs in every level after and you cant use your abilities in it (including dashes) and it slows the game right down (which adds to why i only liked speedrunning the first level).

if your goal isn't speedrunning though, it’s a pretty cool game.

also, yeah, the game isnt optimized too well. They fixed the major issues ps4 had (no anti-aliasing and a lower FPS), but even with those fixed, the graphics seem to be at 720p or something. It looks fine, but doesn’t look great.

Finally, playing this game on controller is very difficult. It really seems like it has to be played with mouse and keyboard, which took away my enjoyment as well, so read my whole post above with a grain of salt.

I feel like the speedrun strategy is to use mission select to bypass the cyberworld platforming? That's what they did in 2016 to get past the first level (but not Eternal. Curious). If PS$ had worse optimisation, there's no point getting it there. And yes, the game is fucking awesome on keyboard and mouse. I don't see a world where I play this on a DS4.

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

I feel like the speedrun strategy is to use mission select to bypass the cyberworld platforming? That's what they did in 2016 to get past the first level (but not Eternal. Curious). If PS$ had worse optimisation, there's no point getting it there. And yes, the game is fucking awesome on keyboard and mouse. I don't see a world where I play this on a DS4.

No, as far as i know, there is no way to bypass the cybervoid area. They’re like in the middle of the levels and it’s part of your mission to do them.

And yeah, i kinda gave up around the 6th of 7th level where they introduce a shield-type enemy that stays put but can turn quickly and you have to get behind them to swipe them. Unfortunateky, on a DS4, your turn speed is ass, so it’s hard to get behind them and turn around to quickly enough swipe them before they turn around. It can be done for sure, and isn’t super hard, but that’s when i realized the game was meant for mouse and keyboard.

5 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

@MattatsuThoughts?

Great run! You can use ledge boosting to clear some gaps too, such as right before that big fan, you can ledge boost across that gap instead of running along the wall. Also on the gaps before the chute that leads you do to where it first introduces the mid-air dodging technique.

I think that’ll shave you at least another second or two.

and I don’t think I’d be able to do quicker than that without doing some massive shortcuts lol

4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Great run! You can use ledge boosting to clear some gaps too, such as right before that big fan, you can ledge boost across that gap instead of running along the wall. Also on the gaps before the chute that leads you do to where it first introduces the mid-air dodging technique.

I think that’ll shave you at least another second or two.

and I don’t think I’d be able to do quicker than that without doing some massive shortcuts lol

Thanks for the help! Give it a shot, let's see what you can do! I mostly took what you gave me and worked from there, so you should be able to work my run hard.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dayaan said:

DOOM Eternal on Ultra Violence is so hard 😅

The hardest level is probably Hell on Earth. Throw Exultia in there too. No dashes makes the game so, so hard. I... can't beat it perfectly...

What area are you usually dying on? I can probably give you tech to help you beat it.

Yeah, the latter half of Exultia always gets me to. I can’t seem to beat that reliably. The last arena I normally teleport up, grab the damage buff, put two stickies on the arachnorton (I think that’s enough to kill with the buff IIRC), jump back on the damage buff platform and jump to the left to kill the hell knight while the buff is still active and then get the cacodemon if I can. The best tip I can give is to keep moving. Always hopping and dodging and never stay in one place too long or you get flanked. Youll have better luck running around the arena in circles firing at big targets once as you run by as opposed to standing your ground.

For HOE, I skip the second mod bot (after killing the priest) and get the precision bolt at the next one in the subway. In the following arena, I leave the gas can until the end of the fight and leave with it so I have two pips and I save them. When you go up to the mall fight, I use the jump pad on the left to get us to one of the garden platforms in front of the bridge in the middle to sticky the first caxodemon, then jump on the bridge to kill the other. The triggers the araxhnotron, to which I jump down and grab the third gas can under the bridge on the right side and chainsaw him. Be careful on the third cacodemon that spawns.

after that, instead of going through the tunnel with the wall blasts, I make sure I have full ammo for the precision bolt (chainsaw a tentacle if you have to), then cycle around the right side where the 1up and monkey bar is, from the front left side of that platform you can snipe off the last arachnotron’s turret. Enemies will swarm you from the front, but you should be able to snipe the all (or use stickies). Then you may have enough amok left to kill the araxhnoton with the last of your precision bolt shots from there. Beware of the two imps that spawn at the back afterwards.

before exiting level, uae the fast travel to go back to the second mod not and get micro missiles.

13 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, the latter half of Exultia always gets me to. I can’t seem to beat that reliably. The last arena I normally teleport up, grab the damage buff, put two stickies on the arachnorton (I think that’s enough to kill with the buff IIRC), jump back on the damage buff platform and jump to the left to kill the hell knight while the buff is still active and then get the cacodemon if I can. The best tip I can give is to keep moving. Always hopping and dodging and never stay in one place too long or you get flanked. Youll have better luck running around the arena in circles firing at big targets once as you run by as opposed to standing your ground.

For HOE, I skip the second mod bot (after killing the priest) and get the precision bolt at the next one in the subway. In the following arena, I leave the gas can until the end of the fight and leave with it so I have two pips and I save them. When you go up to the mall fight, I use the jump pad on the left to get us to one of the garden platforms in front of the bridge in the middle to sticky the first caxodemon, then jump on the bridge to kill the other. The triggers the araxhnotron, to which I jump down and grab the third gas can under the bridge on the right side and chainsaw him. Be careful on the third cacodemon that spawns.

after that, instead of going through the tunnel with the wall blasts, I make sure I have full ammo for the precision bolt (chainsaw a tentacle if you have to), then cycle around the right side where the 1up and monkey bar is, from the front left side of that platform you can snipe off the last arachnotron’s turret. Enemies will swarm you from the front, but you should be able to snipe the all (or use stickies). Then you may have enough amok left to kill the araxhnoton with the last of your precision bolt shots from there. Beware of the two imps that spawn at the back afterwards.

before exiting level, uae the fast travel to go back to the second mod not and get micro missiles.

This is awesome and helped so much.

Also, evidently I'm either slow, ignorant or slowly turning into jelly after looking at nothing but a screen this past year. It's been a while since I played and I forgot that the ice bomb existed...

That was like... Half my strategy. I didn't have that missing piece, so I'm in better shape now.

@Mattatsucheck out what I just ordered!

A lunchbox (for my little brother).

A Praetor coin.

A Golguy pin.

Doom playing cards (complete with artwork on every card)!!

A small poster!!

It costs $85, but it's on sale for just under $40 right now!!! I think this is my first video game merchandise... Not counting Sonic wallets and shirts since that's more of a capitalisation on the legacy of the character instead of the actual video game. Anyways, I'm so excited!

https://twitter.com/dayaan3rd/status/1348053614951071746?s=19

Just now, Mattatsu said:

Man that’s awesome! I’m mostly interested to see those cards, but that’s all really cool

Same. I'm most excited for the cards, but the sleeper MVP of this is that coin! So excited to get a relic from the Night Sentinels. They're also selling a coin with 2016 themes which is just as cool for $15, so I hope I get that eventually too!

On 1/10/2021 at 8:40 PM, Dayaan said:

I joined the Slayers Club forums and it appears that it's divided between people that care about the game and play it a lot and people offering suggestions to devs like they know how to make games. Just like fighting game forums!

sounds like most places I have been in and out of. Animal Crossing, CoD, MTG lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing more with the idea of different weapon mods.

I know I was way ahead of the curve when it came to the microwave beam. I loved the heat blast in 2016, buy I switched ASAP in Eternal; in fact I didn't even get the heat blast until the end of the game.

There have been mods that I think deserve way, way more attention though.

I have stopped using the Precision Bolt. I love that thing, but unless I'm looking to DPS a Tyrant or a Pain Elemental, I never use it any more. I always use Micro Missiles for their great burst damage and light aim assist. Definitely what the Heavy Cannon standard fire should have been. Instead, to take out weak points I ONLY use Ballista or Blood Punch and in some niche cases Remote Detonation on the rocket launcher.

I also never use sticky bombs any more. My precision has increased and my equipment management is good as well. This means I almost never have to use the sticky bombs as frags will achieve the same thing in less time, even on Cacodemons. The full auto has way more DPS, is far more modular in play and is generally way more fun. If it was even better, I'd use full auto over SSG.

I used to use Mobile Turret on the Chaingun. Yes it's the most DPS on a single weapon without switching, but it's not worth the trade for the incredible shield. I think you all already knew that though.

9 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I do like the mobile turret against barons though. An ice bomb, mobile turret, and drop a frag or two melts them

So resource consuming!

Blood Punch, Ice Bomb, full auto for health to refill Blood Punch, Blood Punch and Precision Bolt takes care of those pesky Barons. They were WAY more scary in 2016.

7 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

No, but damage to iced demons does, provided you upgrade to that. So the demons drop health when frozen, and health regens Blood Punch. Instant Blood Punch loop. Broken.

Ahh, i’ve been stuck on these lower levels so much trying to beat this shit on un, i forgot about that aspect of the ice bomb.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

which game were you playing?

Did all of knee deep in the dead

Might stream the shores of hell at some point. 

I watched the action button review of doom and it made me want to play. I gotta say, John Romero is a pretty amazing at game design because some of those maps felt like they were made by completely different people. 

Also, fuck E1M5. 

But it's redeemed by E1M6 which was my favorite

Sounds lame and out of date now, but my one regret on Doom is I never played the original with a Good external Midi Encoder. 
Hopefully the parts for my MT-32 Pi come in soon. 

Here some examples

This last one just explains the Roland MT-32 and how it worked with PCs back the day. 
Now you can Run Doom in Dosbox with Munt installed to get the a simulated result. 

Edited by DarkSakul
ROLAND MT-32