Stage Select

The FPS (Doom, etc) Thread

I don’t have time this morning for a long thoughtful response, but i do like the DLC and on a second replay, I liked all of the levels more. It is definitely too easy at times though, even on Nightmare (I actually think it’s easier than the campaign, especially once you really start working the new weapon in your game and recharging it often).

i understand their nerfs to UAC Atlantica for pacing reasons, but yeah, i don’t know why they nerfed Arachnotrons and Maykr drones on all difficulties. Blood Maykrs may have been nerfed a differently than i said (I’ve heard different things) - I have heard that they may shoot just as quickly but the delay occurs afterwards before they drop down; I honestly didn’t play TAG1 enough to tell where the difference was. i am happy they are a bit easier to hit now though. Honestly, they were the only enemy i didn't like, and i love a tough enemy.

There’s quite a lot of backlash right now, so I suspect they’ll make some changes, at least (or hopefully) revert nightmare back to what it was (the arachnotrons on nightmare are a joke), and make TAG2 harder. I don’t think it needs much, tbh, just throw a few more enemies in like 3 of the arenas (each level had one arena where i found it somewhat empty) , and try to make some more memorable situations. Also, all of the really good fights are inside the second escalation encounters, which is cool, i like that it’s an option, but I would like to see a bit more challenge in the main arenas where I was expecting there to be one.

master levels for TAG2 would be awesome though.

Edited by Mattatsu
53 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Wow, people apparently got mad at the Mayo review and now some are also modelling their opinions after him. He felt the need to take it down and rerelease it. What the fuck, man? Weird-ass community...

It really is sometimes. It was a nice community until this DLC lol, but there was some ugliness around the Mick Gordon shit as well.

I think his video was pretty accurate but it fueled a lot of fires and I don’t think he wanted to be the firestarter. Apparently he’s releasing a revised one later today that he thinks is a bit more constructive. We’ll see.

1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

It really is sometimes. It was a nice community until this DLC lol, but there was some ugliness around the Mick Gordon shit as well.

I think his video was pretty accurate but it fueled a lot of fires and I don’t think he wanted to be the firestarter. Apparently he’s releasing a revised one later today that he thinks is a bit more constructive. We’ll see.

Yeah. This is some Smash shit. FOH. Dude had seriously good takes and footage to back it up. I mentioned in my review that I disagreed with some stuff. I still do, but people love a bandwagon.

Don't you think it's weird that you never meet these kind of people? The kind that will jump from train to train? Where are these guys? Are they hiding? Beyond just DOOM, I'd like to punch 'em in the throat.

I gotta take a break from the Doom Reddit... I normally like swinging by there for good tech and opinions but it’s exhausting now.

I’m going to watch Mayo’s revised video when he puts it up, Hugo’s next stream, and try to run TAG2 on UN - I’m sure I can do it if I skip the optional fights, after a bit more practice.

2 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Man seeing everyone post Ultra Nightmare completions has me in my feels. I feel so bad...

What difficulty did you run TAG2 on to begin with? I’m sure you can do it with enough practice.

Trust me, I’m not that good and play on controller and I think I can do it if I just develop a bit of a strategy to certain fights and decide when to use my BFG.

I’ve established strats (mostly) for the first two TAG2 levels for a UN run. I know I can do this.

Shit it still challenging though. Some arenas really aren’t a joke. I’m using BFG shots to increase my chances of success at key moments, but it’d be hard to it without them. Plus I’m skipping the second escalated encounters

Edited by Mattatsu

Eternal’s TAG2 is definitely easier than TAG1 and that was by id’s design. They wanted TAG2 to be more fun and rewarding... I think they should have told people about this ahead of time (and mentioned that they were working on master levels for it as well) so people weren’t expecting TAG2 to be the same/harder as TAG1, but anyways.... I kinda love TAG2. TAG1 was always fairly exhausting for me and I rarely played it when I was just looking to have fun. TAG2 is much more approachable in that regard. I think I’ve beat it like  5 times now

3 minutes ago, Camacho said:

The hammer is a great addition too.

Yeah, it’s really fun to use.

I can’t wait to see how many demons id throws at us in the TAG2 master levels lol... The community has shown they want to be punished and I have a feeling id will do just that 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to beat TAG2 on UN last night. What a rush. I honestly love this DLC and will keep playing it. My next run attempts will be with the second escalated encounters, but for now I want to do the SGN Master Level to get that gold shotgun.

I uploaded the run if anyone is interested. I may do a commentary version explaining my thought process and strats for the different arenas, but everything went the way I wanted it to, so it’s pretty obvious from just watching the videos... I make it pretty easy with when and where I shoot BFGs and collect chainsaws to take out some heavies, etc.

Spoiler

Part 1:

Part 2:

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to pickup the Turok 1 (N64) remaster and holy hell did I miss this game. I forgot how much I loved the platforming and exploration of it.

I have console ports of Doom 1/2/64/3 and Duke3D and thought I would have had more fun in them, but nope.

I think I’ve mentioned it before (maybe not in this thread though) but I love refining my paths in games until I come up with the best way (for me) to run through a game. I think that’s a lot of why I replayed the Doom Eternal campaign so much. I also loved doing this with Zelda games.

Anyways, with the exploration of Turok, I’m looking forward to streamlining it to find the best way to run through it to get all guns and beat the game fairly quickly without any glitches/clips/skips.

8 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I decided to pickup the Turok 1 (N64) remaster and holy hell did I miss this game. I forgot how much I loved the platforming and exploration of it.

I have console ports of Doom 1/2/64/3 and Duke3D and thought I would have had more fun in them, but nope.

I think I’ve mentioned it before (maybe not in this thread though) but I love refining my paths in games until I come up with the best way (for me) to run through a game. I think that’s a lot of why I replayed the Doom Eternal campaign so much. I also loved doing this with Zelda games.

Anyways, with the exploration of Turok, I’m looking forward to streamlining it to find the best way to run through it to get all guns and beat the game fairly quickly without any glitches/clips/skips.

Why not look into Ultrakill? Oyff uploaded a new video today of him taking down the Flesh Prison and the boss after that without dying. It was glorious.

8 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Why not look into Ultrakill? Oyff uploaded a new video today of him taking down the Flesh Prison and the boss after that without dying. It was glorious.

I don’t think my PC can run it. I’m somewhere between the required and recommended specs and my PC usually doesn’t perform up to what my specs indicate I should.

Also, I hate my laptop’s keyboard lol

Edited by Mattatsu

Turok really lost its charm on the last level.

You leave the open jungles, caves, ponds, and cliff-side areas (which were very open and encouraged platforming and exploration) to a long level with very tight and straight corridors, and areas that seemed contrived to only be for arena fights rather than just an open area in a jungle, or maybe an abandoned village.

there were still new corridors to explore, but everything felt that same, and you basically have all the guns and keys at this point, so there is no point to explore, other than just trying to find your way to the end. Disappointing.

however, there is a time trial mode and it’s a fun thing to try and speedrun. I played it quite a bit last night and my best time ties the 11th place time on speedrun.com... That’s not a great achievement as it doesn’t seem to be too popular and I doubt I could ever shave the 61 seconds off my time to contend with the WR but I’m going to have fun trying and learning the shortcuts to help my time.

this a neat video detailing the progress in the run and its records.

Spoiler

Edited by Mattatsu
  • 2 months later...
13 hours ago, GreyFoxx said:

Seems i need to replay all of Doom Eternal again since i lost my saves? Rip and Tear once again!

Yeah, I had replay it again as well. I didn’t mind too much because I got to revisit the campaign with ray tracing on (which is cool but definitely a small nuance to the detail). I also wanted to do a new 100% run anyway as I’ve heard older saves can exasterbate some bugs in master levels and the SGN ML has been very glitchy for me lately.

kinda sucks you can’t play the master levels until you beat the map in the campaign though, but the Taras Nabad ML is awesome.

edit: tried the SGN ML again, and it seems like playing off a new save fixed all the glitches I was experiencing (that or they patched it in the update, but it wasn't mentioned in the notes).

also, i ended up turning off ray tracing and setting the ps5 to balanced graphics  (which i think is 4k @ 60fps). I noticed a few slight frame drops during very hectic moments in very hectic fights (mostly on the MLs) and the ray tracing detail is so minuscule the majority of the time, i don't think it was worth it. They weren't bad drops, but i got real used to the ps5 not having any, and that’s ideal to me. I made the change during an arena i was stuck at where i noticed it twice, and i didn't notice any drops after turning RT off. I kinda like the higher resolution anyway. It looks slick 

Edited by Mattatsu
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@Mattatsu

Picked up Eternal again for PS4 just to play casually. From your experience, is console any easier than PC? I know on PC I was barely surviving at all on Ultra Violence but it's so easy on console. I'm considering bumping it up to Nightmare.

All the demons and rooms FEEL the same to me, and it looks like every arena has the same demon configuration, but I don't understand why it all feels so... Easy...

2 hours ago, Dayaan said:

@Mattatsu

Picked up Eternal again for PS4 just to play casually. From your experience, is console any easier than PC? I know on PC I was barely surviving at all on Ultra Violence but it's so easy on console. I'm considering bumping it up to Nightmare.

All the demons and rooms FEEL the same to me, and it looks like every arena has the same demon configuration, but I don't understand why it all feels so... Easy...

PS4 is capped at 60 FPS (and does drop from that in some areas). Frame rate actually effects many things:

1) Demon’s melee attack range

2) Demon’s reaction time (literally how fast they think)

Plus some other things (such as, how much momentum you can get from a meathook yeet and a ballista boost).

the higher the FPS, the more range the Demon’s attack range has and by a very noticeable amount. I’m now getting 200+ frames on PC and demon’s are hitting me from like 15-20 feet further away than they did on console.

they also think quicker on higher frame rates (but that’s harder to quantify).

So the demons would actually be easier if you were getting much higher than 60 FPS on PC… The downside to lower frame rates is you get less momentum from meathook yeets and ballista boosts (the latter probably doesn’t matter much unless you’re a speedrunner, but the meathook may be a bigger hindrance if you mostly like to use the meathook and stay airborne).

aside from this, some people do have a slightly easier time using the left analog stick for movement as opposed to WASD. It’s just easier to process and go exactly where you want to go, especially in those critical moments where you’re getting swarmed and the next hit will kill, and precise movements and individual frames matter.

Also, with the weapon wheel, you can, theoretically use it to slow down time so you can process what’s going on around you.

finally, of course, you may just be getting better, but it is a bit of a different game because of the reasons I stated… All demon placements and weapon damage, etc, is identical between PC and PS4 though (well in the campaign anyway, battlemode is balanced a bit differently between the two to account for mouse and keyboard aiming advantages.).

On 1/2/2022 at 12:22 AM, Mattatsu said:

PS4 is capped at 60 FPS (and does drop from that in some areas). Frame rate actually effects many things:

1) Demon’s melee attack range

2) Demon’s reaction time (literally how fast they think)

Plus some other things (such as, how much momentum you can get from a meathook yeet and a ballista boost).

the higher the FPS, the more range the Demon’s attack range has and by a very noticeable amount. I’m now getting 200+ frames on PC and demon’s are hitting me from like 15-20 feet further away than they did on console.

they also think quicker on higher frame rates (but that’s harder to quantify).

So the demons would actually be easier if you were getting much higher than 60 FPS on PC… The downside to lower frame rates is you get less momentum from meathook yeets and ballista boosts (the latter probably doesn’t matter much unless you’re a speedrunner, but the meathook may be a bigger hindrance if you mostly like to use the meathook and stay airborne).

aside from this, some people do have a slightly easier time using the left analog stick for movement as opposed to WASD. It’s just easier to process and go exactly where you want to go, especially in those critical moments where you’re getting swarmed and the next hit will kill, and precise movements and individual frames matter.

Also, with the weapon wheel, you can, theoretically use it to slow down time so you can process what’s going on around you.

finally, of course, you may just be getting better, but it is a bit of a different game because of the reasons I stated… All demon placements and weapon damage, etc, is identical between PC and PS4 though (well in the campaign anyway, battlemode is balanced a bit differently between the two to account for mouse and keyboard aiming advantages.).

That's odd because I don't use meathook jumps and I prefer WASD to move, and I hate the weapon wheel...

I'm not sure what's going on, but I like it...

• 3 months later...

Replaying some old fps games I never got to experience on PC from a few generations back. First up, F.E.A.R.

Took a bit of patching and searching for some bugs since it's obviously not optimized for new hardware. The most common issue I ran into was random frame drops and lowering the quality to minimum specs as a result. Obviously a game from 2005 should be able to be ran on max performance with any decent rig these days, so I went into the steam discussion panel, found a guide to the issue, bam. Fixed in 5 minutes.

The slow motion mechanic sounds basic by today's standards but oh man it's still so bad ass to this day. I beat it on normal difficulty in about 10 hours. Would highly recommend anyone to check it out if they never have or if they only played it on Xbox 360 before (like I did.)

The A.I. reacts to your movements, footsteps, type of weaponry you are using, etc. The guns are fun to use. I was never really a fan of fps games that limit your weapon slots, but I give it a pass for this game because it encourages being tactile. Overall, a pretty linear experience but the combat is really where it shines, even now.

8 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

This game looks dope! I’ve heard great things about it, but have never tried it (or possibly even seen footage before)

It's really cheap on steam and you can get all the F.E.A.R. games (1-3 + xpacs) for $7 on G2A sometimes. Definitely doesn't hurt to give them a shot. Consensus is that the first one is the best but I do remember enjoying F.E.A.R. 2 a lot when it came out.

• 3 weeks later...

New game I've been playing as of late.

Hedon: Bloodrite

This game is a pretty fun old school shooter with larger map design, inventory management (I'm just going to call it that), and some fun lore. It gets kind of a wrap for being like a horny doom, but I feel like it's closer to an adventure/FPS hybrid thing. The first two levels took me two hours, so it's a pretty long game. It runs on GZdoom so that's a plus. I believe it was developed by one guy, his twitter is here if you want to know more about them.

This game is really not for everyone, especially if you are used to fast, linear FPS experiences. I would even argue if you LOVED Doom Eternal, this might not be your game. But it's a nice change of pace if you are looking for something a little bit more laid back.

Edited by elliephil
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 1:06 AM, Vhozite said:

I just got back into Overwatch after not playing since my Xbox 360 days. I’ve played a lot of multiplayer games and a lot of FPS but OW has by far the most toxic playerbase I’ve ever encountered.

The toxicity of league combined with the intense rush of endorphins in FPS. I was playing Valorant about two years ago when it was in beta and the player base reminded me of OW.

• 4 weeks later...

I have begun a playthrough of og Quake since I never played the single player... holy shit man, coming back to it, I can understand how and why this was so groundbreaking. And for 1996?! Are you f*cking kidding me?! Mechanically speaking, Quake could hold up as a game today in the era of Fortnite, Valorant, Overwatch, if it got a facelift. (I believe there was a game released on the epic games store called "Diabotical" that plays like an old school arena shooter like Quake.)

Civvie made a good video about the single player if you're curious.

My one friend always talks about how Quake feels like the mvc2 of FPS games. So much freedom, so fast, and the multiplayer pushes the limits of the player. Everything just works. The closest I have got to an experience like this in a shooter recently was Fortnite. (Which I actually think is a really amazing game, fight me.)

Edited by elliephil
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/21/2022 at 2:06 AM, TheInfernoman said:

Quake is still magical. the last update modernizing the graphics on PC was nice and I bought it for Switch. Having classics like Doom/Quake on my Switch is pretty sweet and feels pretty good portable. 

Quake Remake incoming!

Been playing The Finals and Rainbow 6 Siege lately. Very fun!