Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

15 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

He'll need to call in favors from his republican friends if something does happen though. I don't see this as something he can fight on his own.

with all the cuts WWE has been making now that Rey confirmed with Konnan that house shows are a thing of the past, even if the hammer drops WWE will come out of it none too worse for wear other than Andrew Yang becoming another chant at live shows like CM Punk and Randy Savage.  Now that they're not stockpiling guys they have no intention of using beyond house shows, the HR list looks way more manageable.

WWE guys don't even need to travel anymore, and if they get HR benefits too!?  OP.  

But like any big company, they won't change unless they are forced to if the money is coming in.  I just find it amusing that the tipping point was streaming and simping.  

My main concern with Yang is that he leaves himself way too open, saying impartial shit about Vince and WWE when that was what sank the steroid trial when Nailz did the same thing.  He comes across as immature for someone of his stature, and he needs to come in with his social media scrubbed and his dirt sheet podcast interviews taken down if he doesn't want stuff he's said used against him and then Vince walks away a victor again.. 

Edited by Psychoblue
51 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

But like any big company, they won't change unless they are forced to if the money is coming in.  I just find it amusing that the tipping point was streaming and simping

For a lot of guys who streamed it was a way for them to connect with fans and let loose. Knowing how restrictive the WWE is having a platform where they let loose must be an oasis. Making some side money from it was nice too. For WWE to take even that way would definitely be a final straw.

14 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

For a lot of guys who streamed it was a way for them to connect with fans and let loose. Knowing how restrictive the WWE is having a platform where they let loose must be an oasis. Making some side money from it was nice too. For WWE to take even that way would definitely be a final straw.

As we talked about before, a lot of them who favored it were being too loose.  AJ Styles doesn't get reprimanded for blurting out about private company business with Heyman, because he's a major draw so he gets superstar preferential kid gloves.  Jaxson Ryker was in so much "bronzing" that he looked like Urien after using VS1.  Paige...yeah, we all know what happened with Maddox.  Only reason she didn't get the boot is that WWE needed her to promote "her" movie.  Woods has always been extremely open with WWE about his UUDD stuff so he might be able to get away with this too.  

I get why WWE is going with the approach of "loose lips sink ships" and it's better to just remove that option rather than continue to play favorites and overlook some over others like they had been doing, but it would be way easier if they were employees.  Independent contractors still have to follow company standards just like employees, but this was just the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of other reasons WWE guys should be employees.  

Right now WWE guys only have to show up a couple times a week and don't have to travel at all, as many of them live in Florida already.  WWE probably figures if they're offering them that much they can return the favor and not double-dip with side hustles, but that should be the sticking point to why they should be considered employees now.  The issue wasn't the amenities WWE offers, or at least the only issue.  The issue was that they were employees in theory only.  If WWE doesn't want them to double dip, make them employees so that restriction is validated.  If not for that part I would agree with WWE that there needed to be more control over those platforms because of how many pushes got derailed because of those loose lips.  

Edited by Psychoblue
1 minute ago, Psychoblue said:

As we talked about before, a lot of them who favored it were being too loose.  AJ Styles doesn't get reprimanded for blurting out about private company business with Heyman, because he's a major draw so he gets superstar preferential kid gloves.  Jaxson Ryker was in so much "bronzing" that he looked like Urien after using VS1.  Paige...yeah, we all know what happened with Maddox.  Only reason she didn't get the boot is that WWE needed her to promote "her" movie.  Woods has always been extremely open with WWE about his UUDD stuff so he might be able to get away with this too.  

I get why WWE is going with the approach of "loose lips sink ships" and it's better to just remove that option rather than continue to play favorites and overlook some over others like they had been doing, but it would be way easier if they were employees.  Independent contractors still have to follow company standards just like employees, but this was just the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of other reasons WWE guys should be employees.  

AJ was really the only one who was talking about backstage shit on his streams. Everyone else used streams to chill and rip on each other. These guys reveal more on podcasts then they ever do on their own streams. 

19 minutes ago, Sonero said:

What did Yang say about Vince?

So apart from saying on twitter that "he better pray his best friend Trump gets re-elected," he's been on some dirt sheet podcasts admitting that he grew up a big WCW fan and absolutely hated that WWF won the Monday Night Wars, especially when the writing gradually and irrevocably declined.  He's also an admitted big fan of AEW and how they treat their guys, which is probably not the best stance to take given that even if you ignore all of the lack of care taken to prevent needless injuries, the "wrestlers as employees" really only applies to a select few and not too different from how WWE has some part-timers in the office that get trotted out for the odd match.  

If something like "I hate Vince McMahon's guts" and derail a key testimony, I'm concerned all of those things can build up when it's showtime in court.  He's going to need to convince an ideally impartial judge that he's doing this because he cares and not because he wants to stan the opposition.  While he probably does care for the well-being legitimately, he's been exposing himself needlessly to outlets that can make him seem like he's not taking it as seriously as he should, as these dirt sheet podcasts hold extremely little weight and scope compared to outlets he should be going to, to make this blow up like CNN or CBS (WWE and NBC are in bed together so that probably wouldn't fly).  

Yang's gotta recognize that he's not going to war with the struggling WWF of 1994.  He's going to war against a juggernaut of a global empire like he's going to war with a major sports league, and all of the attorneys armed to the teeth with loopholes and counter-arguments with the dotted lines signed with whatever language that allows WWE to "exploit" their independent contractors in a legally, mutually understood manner.  

Going to be a fun one, for sure.  

Edited by Psychoblue
2 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

that means the shareholders likely don't want that stink on them more than necessary. 

Please. They had how many Saudi events? And even right after Khasshogi?

Shareholders care about one thing and it's money, not what image the WWE portrays 😆

At least you were right about one thing, he had a lot of lip service and nothing else.

1 minute ago, scorp said:

Please. They had how many Saudi events? And even right after Khasshogi?

Shareholders care about one thing and it's money, not what image the WWE portrays 😆

At least you were right about one thing, he had a lot of lip service and nothing else.

Hey, Saudi is part of their shareholders too right?!  

And the image is important because if they look too carny it can do long-term harm that they're associated with clowns and not athletes.  

See, Action, Total Nonstop and how quickly those sponsors evaporated as Dixiemania got worse and worse...

11 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

See, Action, Total Nonstop and how quickly those sponsors evaporated as Dixiemania got worse and worse...

Too many chefs in Dixie's kitchen caused that one.

Vince is on the other side of the spectrum, doesn't let anyone get into his ear.

I wonder what Seth and Roman feel about this whole Zelina situation? 

I bet the locker room leaders are bootlicking harder than usual.

Edited by scorp
7 minutes ago, scorp said:

Too many chefs in Dixie's kitchen caused that one.

Vince is on the other side of the spectrum, doesn't let anyone get into his ear.

Vince hires people who can capably handle the specific things they're hired for and gives them no further tasks.  THat's what this Anti-Khan is doing on the media end.  Then whatever they decide, he nods his head and lets them do it.  That's how he's been able to manage this huge media empire while still being able to show up to run things in the Gorilla Position.

That's the most maddening thing about wrestlers being independent contractors.  WWE themselves have lots of employees who work at the office and manage all those extra things and reportedly they're treated about on par with other big corps.  By the ones everyone knows and cares about, the wrestlers and on-screen guys, are mostly independent contractors who have their own individually negotiated deals that while while cozy for a bunch of them are still under contractor law.  It just sounds like more HR headache than necessary especially at this point where the "wrestler welfare" days of guys sitting at home collecting downsides until they need house show filler are gone.    

Andrew Yang should focus on that.  Why them but not others in the org?  

@bootlickers, again, not a lot of the wrestlers were doing this to the extent Zelina and Paige were.  AJ Styles for sure is just gonna sit there and take it because his standing in the E is way to cozy to throw it away over this.  Corbin will likely follow suit because he knows he's not gonna get anything comparable to what the E gives him.  Cesaro might just walk away finally and take whatever bullshit AEW books him in for a nice paycheck and some side deals.  Woods probably is going to get hired by WWE proper to spearhead this supposed WWE Twitch thing the Anti-Khan has planned, because WWE has already offered him way more freedom than most with the Kenny Omega saga.  After that it'll probably just be a shrug and waiting to see where the Yang Hammer lands.  

Edited by Psychoblue

Cesaro should just be a stay at home husband (he’s married to Sara Amato who is the head trainer of the PC).

Maybe relaunch his weekly vlog from the ROH days where he would talk about a coffee blend he recently imported. Dude is obsessed with coffee. I think it was called Claudio’s Cafe or something 

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

Andrew Yang should focus on that.  Why them but not others in the org?  

Because other feds don't treat their independent contractors like employees. WWE wrestlers are employees without any of the benefits that should come with it. You don't see AEW telling their talent how to dress, when to get to the arenas, control their public image,  follow every instruction to the letter and so forth. 

3 hours ago, Sonero said:

What did Yang say about Vince?

Andrew Yang said he will look into the WWE's independent contractor situation once Biden is elected President. As a wrestling fan, he wasn't happy about WWE third party ban. 

5 minutes ago, scorp said:

OH MAN!! I can't wait for TK to sign all these chicks!!!.... So we can watch Brandi fight <jobber> for a 4 min match on Dynamite. 😆

No lie at first glance with the school bus I thought Thunder Rosa was trying to get #MeToo'd like VD and Theory to continue the Wednesday Night War.

Edited by Psychoblue
8 hours ago, DrLariat said:

Fuck vince mcmahon 

We'll see if this one blows up.  We've heard about the bear skin rug and all of the affairs, but we never heard ANYTHING about Vince touching kids.  

There's different levels of scumbag.  This doesn't sound like the one Vince is known to be on by even his most bitter partings.  

Edited by Psychoblue
15 hours ago, Grimmjow316 said:

Meanwhile Shida will still be just a spectator.

Makes zero sense why brandi was given the book of the women's division kenny did a shitty job but at least he booked riho right

What aew needs is an actual booker. Like somebody to control the aew narrative.

MLW has been doing that sports feel better than them for 3 years going.

Aew has shitty booking

They should have an actual head booker. Hell that fat oily stripper and the guy who was head writer at nxt and smackdown in 2016 are available go for them

Viet people are refugees saying fuck other refugees makes no sense when trump deported more refugees than presidents before him.

You know drake wuertz would be nowhere near the minority magas

Also vince protected the pedos like mel phillips and pat patterson. Like he did jimmy snuka.

Bix sent the stream to andrew yang. And yang chomping at the bit to take down vince mcmahon 

Edited by DrLariat
2 hours ago, DrLariat said:

Bix sent the stream to andrew yang. And yang chomping at the bit to take down vince mcmahon 

I wouldn't consider Bix anything credible for stuff like this, it's like trying to get your objective news from a Smasher.

This is what I was referring to by why Andrew Yang might come into this fight unprepared.  He gives off this weird aura of immaturity and gullibility for this particular case, that WWE will exploit just like they did when Nailz fucked up at the steroid trial.  

Edited by Psychoblue
32 minutes ago, DrLariat said:

I think the people that yang will have research and law firms come for wwe.

The concussion law suits were bullshit. But these independent contractor deals.

Now that contracts have been re-structured across the board to a point no one has to travel much and Rey confirmed with Konnan that house shows are dead so it's like 1-2 shows a week maybe for talent, maybe 3 once restrictions lift counting PPV events,  I'm wondering if an ulterior motive other than to keep the talent they have satisfied (something Vince reportedly does far better than Heyman and HHH according to Ricardo) is that when it's showtime WWE can point to contracted days works and say it's within reason if there are any date limits that allow WWE to be at fault but not AEW, who have also begun limiting Indy dates of their talent and who Yang is by his own admittance a huge fan of.  As a reminder, Nailz openly stating he hated Vince McMahon's guts nullified his testimony which could have been the tipping point otherwise.  Yang saying something similar on a record of admissible evidence could be something the defendants pull out and then the whole thing is in jeopardy.  

Speaking as an admin, telling independent contractors that they need to follow certain standards to collect their checks is hardly unique to WWE.  The tipping point is going to be the scope of which they can do it, which we're going into with the social media ban.  Yang needs to go into this with the realization that to beat WWE on this, he will need to create upheaval with independent contractor law as a whole.

That's not me justifying what WWE is doing.  That's just what Yang is going to have to contend with to explain why it's bad.    It's immoral and scummy as hell,  but WWE isn't going to make mandates like that if they don't already have loopholes to justify it and say it's within scope.  

Edited by Psychoblue
21 minutes ago, DrLariat said:

With how easy brock, punk, and alberto del rio got out of those no compete...

Those guys had language put in their contract that both sides agreed to when it was signed.  All of the top and upper midcard guys get similar negotiating perks when their contracts come up due.  That's why AEW being such a wreck is so aggravating, because now WWE guys look at that company ,realizing there's no saving it barring a massive corporate upheaval akin to when Jim Herd was forced out, because all of that leverage is gone .    

22 minutes ago, scorp said:

lol Still hard to believe people believe that and watch WWE weekly.

Absolutely mind blowing.

I mean, if you even remotely pay attention to both you can tell they’re beyond shit shows for their own reasons. 

Fans of WWE have no issues calling them out on their bullshit. I mean, this thread does it constantly. 

yet the majority of AEW fans will turn every blind eye and make every hallow excuse they can when AEW does or says something beyond fucking stupid. 

both sides are fucking dumb. Pro wrestling is fucking dumb. It’s carnies doing stunts on a global scale with a egomaniacal ring leaders. We know what we’re getting into and we love it. 

I haven’t watched a full episode of RAW or SD in almost 10 years. I watch DVR’s of NXT on Hulu and since the end of 2018 I’ve used dummy accounts or friends accounts to watch PPV’s and UK. So, I don’t monetarily support wwe anymore but I still watch it. 

AEW is being ran by children who grew up in the attitude era and have a rich uncle. Which shows in the product, type of stars they sign and their backstage handlings. How AEW was made, who is was made by and how they carry themselves is why I don’t support them. 

Edited by iStu X
10 minutes ago, iStu X said:

AEW is being ran by children who grew up in the attitude era who have a rich uncle and that shows in the product and backstage handlings

Now that's my kind of wrestling!
I guess it also matters what your friends watch. Every single one of my real life friends love AEW as we all grew sick of WWE years ago.

And yea, I can definitely call out AEW issues here, but aside from the crap womens division, I don't have to wonder why they keep breaking up tag teams without reason every week lol

4 minutes ago, scorp said:

I guess it also matters what your friends watch.

All of my irl wrestling friends watch AEW. Several of which I’d say obsessed. So no, it doesn’t. 

Having the same hobby as others doesn’t mean you have to have all the same interests within that hobby. 

it’s why I’ve never agreed with the “buy the console all your friends will be playing”. Naw, I’m not buying for them. I’m buying for me. 

Edited by iStu X
5 minutes ago, scorp said:

Shietttt that must suck lol

No. Not really. I don’t give a shit about what wrestling they watch or don’t. 

They also respect me enough to not try and shove it down my throat when we talk shop. I’ve been vocal about not liking AEW and why I don’t like AEW. Usually they disagree with my reasons but they’ve never tried to change my mind. 

so we just don’t talk about aew 

Edited by iStu X

AEW runs a sloppy shop. They let their guys wrestle outside their bubble or in jericho's case spread covid misinformation. Then nobody gets punished. They let matt hardy do all that bullshit. They continue to push shitheads in this social media age.

Wwe runs a shitty shop. They treat their wrestlers like cogs and force them to work through injury for fear of losing their spots. 

Then they want to own everything about their wrestlers even after death...eddie...savage...andre. ...

The issues with wwe happen because vince is a well connected individual. Even going through current times. Vince is the guy who okay'd all the bullshit.

That said aew and wwe have great rosters who put on good matches. But the only league i pay for is njpw, stardom, and dragon gate.

I hate current day wwe and aew tropes and hate the creepers in the stands

Just wish roman had this run last year. Because kofi should have lost the belt to roman

With aew i have pac, moxley, kingston, omega, and lucha bros.

I really wished Pac could have ended up doing some more dragon gate this year.

Drake Younger being maga and disappearing to parler to be a racist shitbag seems pretty on point

Edited by DrLariat