Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

18 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I definitely saw it coming. Anybody who actually enjoys wrestling and wants to have fun is trying to get out of WWE. If you not in that main event scene, you probably won't get much in WWE. And there's pretty much NO job security at this point since they don't honor contracts and can release you at any point 

I missed this, but I think it's been clear for a long time now even before Nick Khan took over that there was a huge divide between how the indie journeyman looked at wrestling and how the guys who stuck around in WWE looked at it.  The most common bullet in the chamber for the indy guys against the company up north and its usual suspects are "they don't respect this business" or "they're just in it for the money."  Thing is, a lot of the big names from the 70s and 80s didn't grow up fans of pro wrestling either: it was simply a career choice for them to make money and live comfortably.  Brock Lesnar is always one both peers and critics say is only in it for the money, but he jsut got done headlining the most successful WM ever when it comes to the metric that matters in a "fake" sport: revenue and gate.  There's nothing wrong with treating it as a job rather than as a passion: you just need to ensure you're still taking pride in your work and looking the part too.  

I always cite Bryan Danielson as one of the best ever not just because he has great workrate or even that he's a great talker, but that he got over as a character and transformed to look the part of a main eventer even though his height and weight were most likely stat-padded.  That's why Theory is someone Vince favors so highly, dude is a cartoon character in the face with emote after emote and that's what gets over.  Shoot, the biggest draws in combat sports right now are a pair of youtubers known more for their promos and character work than actual boxing talent.  

Edited by Psychoblue
4 minutes ago, scorp said:

I don't even know what it is hahaha

I just assume weeb cause it's Woods.

Jackie Chan Adventures.  Jackie and his OC gang were frequently tied to magic talisamans that different bad guys coveted in different contexts across the seasons, and in filler eps the talismans would either give the heroes or bad guys certain power-ups.  

2 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Jackie Chan Adventures.  Jackie and his OC gang were frequently tied to magic talisamans that different bad guys coveted in different contexts across the seasons, and in filler eps the talismans would either give the heroes or bad guys certain power-ups.  

Came out in 2000? Yeah I wasn't watching cartoons anymore haha

8 hours ago, Maxx said:

Scary opening promo by regal

it’s even scarier when you know that despite being a giant British teddy bear Regal was and still is a legit bad ass. Not only was British wrestling borderline shoot fighting during his era but he has multiple bare knuckle boxing championships under his belt. 

thank god now-a-days he just wants to pass on what he knows to the next generation while hanging out with all his lizards and snakes. 

Edited by iStu X
On 5/8/2022 at 4:47 AM, HD-Man said:

Roman cutting a promo like he may be retiring and leaving for Hollywood soon, may be a work too tho, I'll let yall decide 

To me it sounds like he was making fun of New Jersey, but Roman is also smart enough to say it in a way it gets people talking.