Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

3 hours ago, Serpent said:

Carlito is apparently coming back for Raw on Monday. I liked that guy, I hope they actually let him do something cool.

Being they've already burned through all of the usual Attitude guys, they're better off going to the Ruthless Aggression guys who aren't so archaic and can still go if WWE decides to bring them back full time like they did MVP. 

Edited by Psychoblue
4 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

Being they've already burned through all of the usual Attitude guys, they're better off going to the Ruthless Aggression guys who aren't so archaic and can still go if WWE decides to bring them back full time like they did MVP. 

Yeah AE is just too far back now. Also it's an issue for AEW, I really don't see how they can have a 61 year old Sting do much of anything. Cool entrance, good promo guy, but how is he going to advance stories?

At this point the old guys really should only come back for Rumbles as surprise appearances, lose, and then that's it. But without a crowd this year even that kind of doesn't work.

Carlito is like 41 or something, for a wrestler, that can still be the very end of their prime. They can still go for a few more years and be entertaining, albeit they really can't be the "top guy" or anything like that. Not that wrestling should just have one "top guy" like they like to. AE was fun because like a dozen guys could get hot and win the title and be the guy. Same way the UFC LHW division was rocking when nobody could hold the damn title because everyone was such a killer. Albeit I still think Rampage won that fight...lol.

AEW does a good job of having the legends manage younger guys, I think that's a great way to do it. WWE doesn't really do that, but maybe they should think of doing that. Even if you want the older guys to wrestle sometimes, it still works better giving them a faction and some younger less known guys that can bump around and get built weekly. Like why not pair Cedric and Ricochet with a legend and let them work their way up that way?

Olmos is pretty much just getting over standing around AJ every week. He does almost nothing but the audience knows him now and takes him more seriously than Cedric and Ricochet.

6 hours ago, Serpent said:

AEW does a good job of having the legends manage younger guys, I think that's a great way to do it. WWE doesn't really do that, but maybe they should think of doing that. Even if you want the older guys to wrestle sometimes, it still works better giving them a faction and some younger less known guys that can bump around and get built weekly. Like why not pair Cedric and Ricochet with a legend and let them work their way up that way?

AEW does a good job for Legends are who long retired like Arn and Jake.  But I also consider Jericho and Matt Hardy "Legends" and right now they're looking like how Tatanka and Hacksaw were looking towards the end of their 2000s WWE runs: fat and washed.  I'm 100% fine if Matt never wrestles again after all of the botched chair shots and concrete bumps, and Jericho's beer gut got him roasted so hard on NBA twitter that it made them deem AEW "bootleg WWE" by what should have been a big opportunity to introduce new fans to the product.  

For Matt and Jericho I'd prefer something with how WWE would use Lawler and Dusty in the 2000s: they're still recurring on-screen characters but will still wrestle from time to time.  Jericho should be what MVP is to the Hurt Business when it comes to the Inner Circle, and have MJF be the centerpiece "chosen one" while Jericho does the shilling/managing.   

Edited by Psychoblue
2 minutes ago, OrochiJ said:

God damn... I cried all through the program. Eddie Kingston breaking the tough guy character broke me. Seeing MJF keeping kayfabe alive being a piece of shit was hilarious. Brodie jr seeing all the love for his dad... man, seeing him smile was wholesome as fuck. Brodie being best dad is amazing.

Brodie Jr has a 100 fathers now.

I'm not going to pretend I was huge Luke Harper/Brodie Lee fan but if that show didn't hit you in the feels you have no soul. I'm four days older than John Huber. Seeing a big strong guy my age gone...I mean it seemed like we just saw him on TV. Then seeing his wife and kids man....made me hurt and makes me hurt thinking about it now. My dad was 44 when he died but I got over 20 years with him. John's kids won't get that privilege with that father. Kudos to everyone for honoring him in such a great way. Then they gave his son the TNT Championship Belt....😭

Just a reminder: For the next month CM Punk is donating 100% of the profits of his PWTee’s merch to Brodie’s family. 

Also going forward all of the profits of Brodie’s Shirts sold through PWTee’s will go to Brodie’s family as well. (I saw through PWTees specifically since AEW/PWTee’s have a distribution contract through HotTopic.)

Edited by iStu X
1 minute ago, iStu X said:

I’m glad wwe is going hard with Brodie tributes. 

the big rig deserves it. 

if you guys can manage to find it you need to watch his feud vs. Cesaro in Chikara. They still hold the privilege of having the only cage match ever in Chikara. 

I showed that to my friends 2 days ago, none of them had ever seen it.

I always remembered it because I saw it a few years ago and that gorilla press slam into the cage by Claudio always made me mark out.

54 minutes ago, scorp said:

I showed that to my friends 2 days ago, none of them had ever seen it.

I always remembered it because I saw it a few years ago and that gorilla press slam into the cage by Claudio always made me mark out.

The aforementioned cage match is always my go to with for people that want to know what Brodie is about 

15 minutes ago, iStu X said:

It makes me happy seeing all the boys companies wide being there for Brodie Jr when he needs it at the absolute most. Doing everything they can to make him not feel the pain that is loss. 

brings a tear to your eye. 

That's the biggest take away... A whole industry came together to make a lil boy smile. Prowrestling can be fucking beautiful when It wants to be 

Apparently AEW is going to mark Brodie Jr. as the last TNT champion as well as retire the current belt design. They will debut a new design sometime this year and while it being the “same” championship it will be treated as an all new title. 

I have a lot of gripes when it comes to AEW but they’ve showed nothing but class when it comes to Brodie being apart of their company and his legacy

WWE *as a company* can only do so much.  Which I understand but they’re also letting all the employees speak openly and candidly about Brodie on the companies programs. Which is great and 100% the right thing to do. 

The big rig was definitely a special talent and will go down as one of the best hosses who ever stepped into the squared circle 

YEAH YEAH YEAH

Edited by iStu X

Since I’m sure maxx is annoyed at me blowing up his phone I’ll post my year end NXT impressions here too. 

I don’t know why they turned Swerve heel. He was a great face that was a victim of creative being lazy. But now he’s a vanilla heel like everyone else. 

Bronson is going to be their new Keith Lee. Bronson did a great swinging choke slam. It looked almost like a judo throw but it was under arm choke slam. I wish it was his finisher or set up for finisher. 

grizzled young veterans got the joiner entrance despite winning their tag match against breezango. 

I don’t see why NXT is pushing Ever Rise. They’re dollar general young bucks. 

BOA and Xia Li about to bring the Kumite to NXT. 

I love Gargano’s stable “The Way”. They’re like a doofy sitcom family. Very Simpsons-esque 

While Adam Cole accepted his award as best male competitor basically said if Kyle wins the title next week he’s turning on Kyle. 

Dunne and Strong have great chemistry. As someone who is a huge fan of strong it’s great seeing him not blown up within the first 5 minutes of a 20+ minute match. Lol

ugh, fuck the NXT crowd for saying fight forever during strong and dunne though. It doesn’t deserve it. Lol. Surprised Dunne won clean. He is supposed to be the muscle for McAfees faction so it makes sense. 

Kyle and Balor winning match of the year was the only correct answer. 

Everyone forgets sweet baby Kyle can be gdlk on the mic. They need to practice social distancing though. 

ugh, Karrion Kross ruins every segment they put him in. Seriously the dude needs to stop cutting promo’s through his teeth. I love how Priest is in the right in this feud but all Karrion is going to do next week is his super ugly and super unsafe Saito Suplex and win because reasons. 

Scarlett also makes a horrible Queen Sindel. Just take her off tv too. 

ugh, I hate how a lot of the women’s feuds in NXT are “WE USE TO BE SO CLOSE BECAUSE WE GOT SIGNED AT THE SAME TIME AND NEEDED EACHOTHER! BUT THEN THEY CHANGED!” It’s just lazy.

They need to push Escobar to the moon. He’s got the looks, the talent and the mic skills. LOL Lucha House party feuding with Del Fantasma? What the hell. Sure why not. 
didnt house party use to involve Kalisto? What happened to him?

oh shit, Wertz is the ref. I bet he’s wondering if it’s appropriate to ask if they’re here legally. Wow, way to squash Del Fantasma after months of building them as a top heel stable. pretty sure the advertisement they showed on the network was actually longer than the match. 

Glad we’re giving awards to pedophiles. 
Lol. Seriously, I  love The Way. I wasn’t sold on them at first but god dammit. They’re just dumb and goofy. Peak 90’s sitcom tropes. 

Io Shirai is so pretty. 💜

I’m glad the match with Gargano and Ruff isn’t a flash finish match. They’re actually letting people see Ruff is a super good wrestler. Ruff got that Zekai Boost but who knows if it’ll be enough. 

indie hartwell’s pants are definitely suppressing her power. She has a phat ass. 
lol. Vic Joseph calling the apron cutter from Ruff a flatliner. What the fuck lol. 

the was a great finish and a great match. 

Can we just have Lumis draw all the card slates from now on? Dude is an awesome artist. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Since I’m sure maxx is annoyed at me blowing up his phone I’ll post my year end NXT impressions here too. 

I don’t know why they turned Swerve heel. He was a great face that was a victim of creative being lazy. But now he’s a vanilla heel like everyone else. 

Bronson is going to be their new Keith Lee. Bronson did a great swinging choke slam. It looked almost like a judo throw but it was under arm choke slam. I wish it was his finisher or set up for finisher. 

grizzled young veterans got the joiner entrance despite winning their tag match against breezango. 

I don’t see why NXT is pushing Ever Rise. They’re dollar general young bucks. 

BOA and Xia Li about to bring the Kumite to NXT. 

I love Gargano’s stable “The Way”. They’re like a doofy sitcom family. Very Simpsons-esque 

While Adam Cole accepted his award as best male competitor basically said if Kyle wins the title next week he’s turning on Kyle. 

Dunne and Strong have great chemistry. As someone who is a huge fan of strong it’s great seeing him not blown up within the first 5 minutes of a 20+ minute match. Lol

ugh, fuck the NXT crowd for saying fight forever during strong and dunne though. It doesn’t deserve it. Lol. Surprised Dunne won clean. He is supposed to be the muscle for McAfees faction so it makes sense. 

Kyle and Balor winning match of the year was the only correct answer. 

Everyone forgets sweet baby Kyle can be gdlk on the mic. They need to practice social distancing though. 

ugh, Karrion Kross ruins every segment they put him in. Seriously the dude needs to stop cutting promo’s through his teeth. I love how Priest is in the right in this feud but all Karrion is going to do next week is his super ugly and super unsafe Saito Suplex and win because reasons. 

Scarlett also makes a horrible Queen Sindel. Just take her off tv too. 

ugh, I hate how a lot of the women’s feuds in NXT are “WE USE TO BE SO CLOSE BECAUSE WE GOT SIGNED AT THE SAME TIME AND NEEDED EACHOTHER! BUT THEN THEY CHANGED!” It’s just lazy.

They need to push Escobar to the moon. He’s got the looks, the talent and the mic skills. LOL Lucha House party feuding with Del Fantasma? What the hell. Sure why not. 
didnt house party use to involve Kalisto? What happened to him?

oh shit, Wertz is the ref. I bet he’s wondering if it’s appropriate to ask if they’re here legally. Wow, way to squash Del Fantasma after months of building them as a top heel stable. pretty sure the advertisement they showed on the network was actually longer than the match. 

Glad we’re giving awards to pedophiles. 
Lol. Seriously, I  love The Way. I wasn’t sold on them at first but god dammit. They’re just dumb and goofy. Peak 90’s sitcom tropes. 

Io Shirai is so pretty. 💜

I’m glad the match with Gargano and Ruff isn’t a flash finish match. They’re actually letting people see Ruff is a super good wrestler. Ruff got that Zekai Boost but who knows if it’ll be enough. 

indie hartwell’s pants are definitely suppressing her power. She has a phat ass. 
lol. Vic Joseph calling the apron cutter from Ruff a flatliner. What the fuck lol. 

the was a great finish and a great match. 

Can we just have Lumis draw all the card slates from now on? Dude is an awesome artist. 

In regards to lucha house party. Kalisto split from them, they ran a angle for weeks where he got a big ego and wasn't there for them. So they separated