Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

5 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I mean, I wouldn’t really watch a match where I’m not interested in either wrestler. Okada bores me to tears

To each their own🤷🏻‍♀️ There’s plenty of wrestling to watch out there, so no need to waste time watching shit you don’t like. 

But I legit think it was a pretty good match. Had a little bit of everything, including Osprey fucking Okada’s face up something fierce 

10 hours ago, iStu X said:

I don’t get why everyone thinks he’s gods gift to wrestling.

2020 was a bad year for Okada. His performances were underwhelming. He even had some stinkers. Most notably he moved a lot slower and struggled a lot more than he use to. It seems that Okada body is finally starting to break down but for whatever reason his fans refused to believe it. Voice of Wrestling even went as far as to say him sucking all year was a work. The length fans take to protect this guy.

11 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

2020 was a bad year for Okada. His performances were underwhelming. He even had some stinkers. Most notably he moved a lot slower and struggled a lot more than he use to. It seems that Okada body is finally starting to break down but for whatever reason his fans refused to believe it. Voice of Wrestling even went as far as to say him sucking all year was a work. The length fans take to protect this guy.

Nah I think it was a work. Because it all played into the storyline going on with him. Your body breaks down but not like what we saw with him. The fact he was going crazy and in this weird depression storyline. It all played a part. 

14 hours ago, iStu X said:

I didn’t watch wrestle kingdom cause as a whole I don’t care about NJPW. But I watched Cobb vs. Shingo since Shingo is one of my favorite wrestlers ever. 

That match was fucking insane. I loved it. I have never seen Shingo just dead weighted like he was against Cobb. 

still salty New Japan ended Shingo’s undefeated streak with Osprey though. But it’s mainly cause I think Osprey is a trash wrestler. Being able to do highly coordinated spots doesn’t make you a good wrestler. It just makes you a spot monkey. It’s why I hated Ricochet for the longest and why I hated Chikara as a company. 

Osprey needs to go to Dragon Gate so he can get the same treatment Ricochet did when he went to dragon gate. Which was basically everyone in the company telling him “You can do some really cool stuff. However your fundamentals are trash and you don’t really wrestle a match. You choreograph. So we’re gunna fix that” 

Oh, back to the actual match, while watching Cobb vs Shingo I heard commentary mention Shingo feuded with Minori Suzuki. Where can I watch those matches? 

I forgot to mention this but ospreay doesn't flip as much since going to heavyweight. I can't even remember if he did a flip vs okada

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

I can't even remember if he did a flip vs okada

Bruh, they did a top rope spanish fly, and it was BEAUTIFUL. But you're right, Osprey has toned down his junior heavyweight flippy antics. 

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

went as far as to say him sucking all year was a work. The length fans take to protect this guy.

I'm not sure if it was a total work, he might of been working through injuries, but he looked in top shape on the 4th. Honestly, physically speaking, it was probably the best he's looked in awhile if not ever. The dude was fast off the ropes, his dropkicks were high and clean as hell, and he never missed a step. 

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

Nah I think it was a work. Because it all played into the storyline going on with him. Your body breaks down but not like what we saw with him. The fact he was going crazy and in this weird depression storyline. It all played a part. 

It was no work. Takahashi is more broke down than he is and he chucked out better matches than Okada. The guy had a bad year. It happens to the best of us. Considering Okada has been wrestling 25+ minute matches on the regular since 2012 will be hell on the body. I felt that last year is when it finally caught up to him. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

It was no work. Takahashi is more broke down than he is and he chucked out better matches than Okada. The guy had a bad year. It happens to the best of us. Considering Okada has been wrestling 25+ minute matches on the regular since 2012 will be hell on the body. I felt that last year is when it finally caught up to him. 

Suzuki had some duds and had some good matches. I still chalk it up to the story. It played into everything going on. Everything lined up too perfectly to it just be a coincidence his "body breaking down" coincides with the loss of confidence story, not wanting to use the rain maker all 2020. Too many coincidences. 

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Not even talking about him in 2020. I’m talking overall. I’ve tried to watch several of his “must watch” matches and he’s just fucking boring to me. I don’t see the appeal 

58 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Suzuki had some duds and had some good matches. I still chalk it up to the story. It played into everything going on. Everything lined up too perfectly to it just be a coincidence his "body breaking down" coincides with the loss of confidence story, not wanting to use the rain maker all 2020. Too many coincidences. 

I don't chalk it up to kayfabe because that means that Okada deliberately put on a terrible match. I doubt anyone in New Japan much less Okada will put on a bad match on purpose. 

7 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't chalk it up to kayfabe because that means that Okada deliberately put on a terrible match. I doubt anyone in New Japan much less Okada will put on a bad match on purpose. 

It was during G1, if their was a time to do it for gimmick purposes it's G1. 

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Chase Owens seems like the type. 

Him or El Phantasmo. They were joking on commentary that Phantasmo has x-pac heat lol 

That's the English commentary for you. They are convinced elp is the Canadian xpac. And it didn't help how he mocked hiromu was very xpac like 

Edited by Maxx
1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Chase Owens seems like the type. 

Him or El Phantasmo. They were joking on commentary that Phantasmo has x-pac heat lol 

No disrespect for honorably Tangan Chase Owens!

Chase knows his place. He's a low card guy who's mainly there to wrestle tag matches and eat the pin so the big names don't have to. As long as the guys who beat him look good he's doing his job right.

10 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Imma be honest, he has x-pac heat with me. 

I don't like a one thing about that guy. Capable in the ring, I guess, but not for me. 

And that's fine. He's a bullet club scum bag. His whole gimmick is the dude who's gonna sell people date rape pills in the back of the club. He's scummy and constantly cheats for wins. Pretty sure he dick punched everyone to win super j cup. 

Jay is such a young guy. We're actually almost he exact same age, he's a day younger. 

He should win titles all over the world for another 6 years before jumping to WWE to have one US title reign then be relegated to the mid-card.

Of course, this is me talking selfishly, if it's better for his personal life, then go for it, but Jay White is a goddamn treasure and should be protected 

Edited by KingTubb
13 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I hope Jay stays. I doubt another company will give him the same opportunities New Japan has. 

Agreed. But them wwe checks must be competitive as fuck. We all know what how wwe treats outside guys. I personally wouldn't sign, but then again.. I've never had a fuckin brinks truck back up in front of my house 

11 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I've never had a fuckin brinks truck back up in front of my house 

Wonder what kind of money he's making in NJPW. I figure that his ability to sell his face in Japan is pretty limited because he's a heel and a gaijin. Kenny was able to do it because he went all in, learning Japanese, doing promos in it, living there, embracing the culture. I don't get the vibe that Jay is following that path. 

But I dunno, I don't live in Japan, the guy might me making cash hand over fist putting his mug on toilet paper or something 🤷‍♀️

Edit: Wonder if AEW is interested, or if Cody would be petty cause Jay took his finisher lol 

Edited by KingTubb

Like these dudes gettin millions to sign. How a friend broke it down is a gaijin contract is initially 3 years. That's also when Jay went on excursion to America. Then he had another 3 years at the top as switchblade. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of covid that he's thibkin this way. Because if Japan shuts down again which it looks like it's going to very very soon by all the reports. He can't work.. He won't be allowed in Japan. What's he gonna do njpw strong again for a month? 

3 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of covid that he's thibkin this way. Because if Japan shuts down again which it looks like it's going to very very soon by all the reports. He can't work.. He won't be allowed in Japan. What's he gonna do njpw strong again for a month? 

The lockdowns in japan and Europe are the only reason ZSJ finally pulled the trigger on living in Japan. 

5 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Like these dudes gettin millions to sign. How a friend broke it down is a gaijin contract is initially 3 years. That's also when Jay went on excursion to America. Then he had another 3 years at the top as switchblade. 

Does New Japan still have a working relationship with RoH? He can give that company a shot in the arm if Japan gets lockdowned.

5 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Does New Japan still have a working relationship with RoH? He can give that company a shot in the arm if Japan gets lockdowned.

Actually I guess they do. Rey horus repped roh for super j cup 2020. Just checked 

Edited by Maxx
5 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Maybe? Iirc New Japan helped Kenny and a few other gaijin’s get dual citizenship. So I don’t see why they wouldn’t for ZSJ. 

Puresuro friend explained it as long as they have a work visa they get to stay. So I guess it really is about if this chick is worth it for him. Because if he gets locked in Japan... He aignt seen her for at least a month maybe more. 

34 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Similar problem with RoH though. They take covid really seriously. The do two week quaratine to work the shows then two weeks after. 

AEW wants to sign Tessa Blanchard

Daniel Bryan is wanting to use his creative influence to bring more guys to smack down so he can work with them along with getting them main roster exposer. However, officials (HHH) is worried that Vince would lose interest and end up burying them. 

Thatcher and Ciampa was cancelled due to officials wanted it to be on a takeover instead of a weekly taping. 

Priest was originally going to help Owens with Reigns and Jey this week on Smackdown but Priest, Reigns and Owens all went to Vince and told him no since it didn’t make any sense. There are still plans for Priest to come be called up extremely soon.  

Rhea is going to make her official main roster debut “extremely soon”. Likely, Royal Rumble. 

Edited by iStu X
8 hours ago, iStu X said:

AEW wants to sign Tessa Blanchard

From a company that represents itself as progressive this a super bad move.

8 hours ago, iStu X said:

Daniel Bryan is wanting to use his creative influence to bring more guys to smack down so he can work with them along with getting them main roster exposer. However, officials (HHH) is worried that Vince would lose interest and end up burying them. 

Look at Drew Gulak. He was a Bryan experiment early last year. The guy went from having bangers with Bryan, Cesaro, Shinsuke and even beating AJ clean at the beginning of the year to chasing R-truth for the 24/7 belt by the end of it. Poor Drew Gu

Still getting through WK night 2. 

gotta say, the bone lock is a super shitty submission. It looks like a shitty Yes lock, which Ishimori uses, and unlike the Yes lock, it isn’t based off of anything resembling a real hold. 

like, motherfucker could just switch his hips. If he went to his butt he’d be fine. 

also, I love red shoes. He’s a perfect 3rd for matches. I love when he won’t count cause he knows someone pulled some bullshit to get the cover. I could see some people thinking that’s annoying, but it adds a layer of depth I really enjoy 

Edit: finally finished. Really hoping Jay White doesn’t go to WWE. He’d be wasted there, even in NXT. The guy is outstanding and has only been wrestling for like 6 years. Unbelievable 

Edited by KingTubb
11 hours ago, KingTubb said:

gotta say, the bone lock is a super shitty submission. It looks like a shitty Yes lock, which Ishimori uses, and unlike the Yes lock, it isn’t based off of anything resembling a real hold. 

like, motherfucker could just switch his hips. If he went to his butt he’d be fine. 

also, I love red shoes. He’s a perfect 3rd for matches. I love when he won’t count cause he knows someone pulled some bullshit to get the cover. I could see some people thinking that’s annoying, but it adds a layer of depth I really enjoy 

Edit: finally finished. Really hoping Jay White doesn’t go to WWE. He’d be wasted there, even in NXT. The guy is outstanding and has only been wrestling for like 6 years. Unbelievable 

Final shot of Jay reaching for the belt will go down in history

On 1/6/2021 at 7:58 PM, iStu X said:

I mean, I wouldn’t really watch a match where I’m not interested in either wrestler. Okada bores me to tears. 

I don’t get why everyone thinks he’s gods gift to wrestling. 

Okada is the wrestler of the decade his run from 2014-2020 

Is

Gdlk

The thing is a style like okada's requires the crowd.

Also shingo was mvp of 2020. He put on work no matter if in tags or singles matches.

I sort of hope Sanada wins the belt because njpw needs to give him something before he becomes another goto

What i hate about ospreay is his thigh slapping. It takes me the fuck out of everything. I want to hear thuds not loud clapping.

I hate thigh slapping in general

Edited by DrLariat
On 1/7/2021 at 10:04 AM, iStu X said:

Not even talking about him in 2020. I’m talking overall. I’ve tried to watch several of his “must watch” matches and he’s just fucking boring to me. I don’t see the appeal 

Just going go say this the 2016_2017 run

Because i know kenny is kind of extra.

But the defenses against marufuji, bad luck fale, tiger mask kota, were good

The best match omega had with okada was the 21 minute match at the g1

Okada went into this whole dragon gate 40 minute epic mode during the kenny and switchblade feuds.

And i hate loooooong matches

But again different strokes. I like Okada but i think Minoru Suzuki in his fifties is the best wrestler going.

Edited by DrLariat
40 minutes ago, DrLariat said:

I sort of hope Sanada wins the belt because njpw needs to give him something before he becomes another goto

No GIF

I think I'm all alone in this but I think Sanada is the most overrated wrestler in NJPW. I just don't see it. 

Part of it, honestly, is because he looked like the biggest dork ever for so long. Then he got rid of the stupid hair and had a bleached Abe Lincoln beard.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:26 PM, KingTubb said:

I really hate the gargano escape so many ways to escape it

Jay White in wwe he would be a fit on promo and character work. Dude is 2000 HHH but not in a midcard capacity like bobby roode. I mean dude has potential as the babyface.

Sanada is the most popular babyface in njpw 

Evil is the most popular wrestler overall

Again njpw is japan based. Doing this handsome gentlemen feud with kota and sanada is to appeal to the females.

Lio should have won the j cup. It would have fit for wk to have Lio the former cw champ do something since he copped that moxley hype vid

But i guess mlw and njpw strong will be a thing

Odds on kenta vs moxley being already in the can are high

Edited by DrLariat