Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

7 minutes ago, Grimmjow316 said:

Didn’t like Xia getting trucked by Raquel. You could have waited for Xia to leave at least.

I feel like all they’ve done is give Jinny and Jazzy’s gimmick to Dakota and Raquel Gonzales 

cameron grimes losing he’s accent when he’s scared is really fucking funny to me 

Edited by iStu X
3 hours ago, Grimmjow316 said:

Didn’t like Xia getting trucked by Raquel. You could have waited for Xia to leave at least.

Nah xia will be nobody. Raquel is the hot one to push. Mmm

McAffee also one of the better wrestlers better than most aew and wwe prospects 

Raquel, toni, candice, and rhea are great rivals to io

Hell bring in kaylee, Jinny and Piper please do

Edited by DrLariat
23 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Reactions to the segment is very decisive looking at the Twitter cesspool. I'm in the camp that hated it. 

From what I can tell on my end, the AEW faithful (AKA most of the FGC wrestling crossover) thought it was great.  

The AEW faithful are the Smash community of wrestling fanbase.  If expectations were tempered based on the fact that it's a new company run by people who have never booked or written TV shows before it would be a fun comedy fed, but this is supposed to be the new #1 fed in the world.  If I just pretend that AEW has no fans, I can appreciate it for what it is: a comedy fed with some former WWE and TNA guys, and guest appearances from old farts like Jake and Arn and Tully.

11 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

From what I can tell on my end, the AEW faithful (AKA most of the FGC wrestling crossover) thought it was great.  

The AEW faithful are the Smash community of wrestling fanbase.  If expectations were tempered based on the fact that it's a new company run by people who have never booked or written TV shows before it would be a fun comedy fed, but this is supposed to be the new #1 fed in the world.  If I just pretend that AEW has no fans, I can appreciate it for what it is: a comedy fed with some former WWE and TNA guys, and guest appearances from old farts like Jake and Arn and Tully.

Their fanbase needs to be honest about what AEW is. It's an indie show with budget. Thinking it's anything else is delusions of grandeur. If that musical happened on Raw they would hate it hardcore. 

13 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Their fanbase needs to be honest about what AEW is. It's an indie show with budget. Thinking it's anything else is delusions of grandeur. If that musical happened on Raw they would hate it hardcore. 

It doesn't help that AEW, like TNA before them, have to take shots at WWE when they can.  Miro wasn't even going to bring them up until Jericho told him to.

I'm sure we are all familiar with how much people fault Vince for the Billionaire Ted stuff during the New Generation Era.  When did their fortunes change?  When they finally stopped talking about WCW and focused on their own product.  When did the dropoff happen again?  Going back to shitting on WCW during the Invasion.  

Until AEW learns to finally mind its own business and start appealing to a broader audience by focusing on their own storylines where you don't HAVE to know what they were up to in WWE to get the joke, they'll always be looked at by normies as the wannabe.  heck when TNA was going al in with ex-WWE guys talking about WWE, a friend told me his little brother asked him without a hint of irony, "Is TNA another WWE brand like Smackdown or RAW?  It seems like a joke show that they stick a bunch of WWE guys in and they talk about them so much I was wondering why they aren't included in the crossover PPVs." 

Heck my dad was channel surfing the other day and came across a Dark Order segment and asked me why WWE was so pathetic now to allow that on TV.  When I told him it was another company and gave some backstory his response was "So a bunch of guys who don't take constructive criticism well found some spoiled rich kid to fund a show where no one offers criticism other than mindless praise?"  WOOF

Edited by Psychoblue
2 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

It doesn't help that AEW, like TNA before them, have to take shots at WWE when they can.  Miro wasn't even going to bring them up until Jericho told him to.

I'm sure we are all familiar with how much people fault Vince for the Billionaire Ted stuff during the New Generation Era.  When did their fortunes change?  When they finally stopped talking about WCW and focused on their own product.  When did the dropoff happen again?  Going back to shitting on WCW during the Invasion.  

Until AEW learns to finally mind its own business and start appealing to a broader audience by focusing on their own storylines where you don't HAVE to know what they were up to in WWE to get the joke, they'll always be looked at by normies as the wannabe.  

I wouldn't compare AEW to TNA. While a few guys took shots at WWE at least they are not putting those guys in the main-event. When AEW starts pushing a guy like Orlando Jordan as a major threat in their roster that's when I feel the comparison will be apt.

Appealing to a broader audience isn't limited to angles. The guys on their roster plays a huge part in that. Joey Janula isn't going to sell to an mainstream audience. They'll wonder why this out of shape idiot who can't work is going 10 minutes against Cody who should beat him in like 3 moves.

1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:

I wouldn't compare AEW to TNA. While a few guys took shots at WWE at least they are not putting those guys in the main-event. When AEW starts pushing a guy like Orlando Jordan as a major threat in their roster that's when I feel the comparison will be apt.

Appealing to a broader audience isn't limited to angles. The guys on their roster plays a huge part in that. Joey Janula isn't going to sell to an mainstream audience. They'll wonder why this out of shape idiot who can't work is going 10 minutes against Cody who should beat him in like 3 moves.

Brodie Lee?  Also you say that as if their current champ isn't one of those guys who did just that LOL

Edited by Psychoblue
8 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Brodie Lee?  Also you say that as if their current champ isn't one of those guys who did just that LOL

Brodie Lee time with major angles have been as a substitute. His feud with Mox came about to AEW losing access to half its roster when covid hit. When hr won the TV title it was because Cody had to film a show for TBS keeping the belt warm for him when he came back. The guy never got a real run

Mox was a main-event guy in WWE. Him starting at the top makes sense given his name value and accomplishments. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
4 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

If this was on RAW people would shit all over it lol

This is going to a fun Corny podcast this week.  I think this is the week he finally forsakes MJF

It was dumb. If this was on dark fine. But this is dynamite. Like i likw goofy segments. But just out of nowhere with this.

NxT was good this week they been rehashing feuds. But they built intrigue In both womens and tag divisions.

NXT has really done well with escobar and crew. The build up of Kushida, bronson, thatcher, and even though i hate him grimes.

AEW trying to right the pushes of wardlow, team taz, brit, kenny. And lucha bros is cool. Eddie Kingston vs Moxley is a nice dynamite feud. But to go to ppv with it. Why not just have archer.

I am looking forward to what smackdown can offer. Sami, bryan, rollins, big e, roman, jey. Possibly shinsuke and cesaro going back singles.

Otis being on raw seems like they were cognizant of tucker and otis actually only being able to work tags.

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The talent they have just fucking irks me for how crappy the booking has been.

The only guy who actually gets some longform feuds has been moxley. He knocks it out the park no matter who he is paired with.

AEw has kenny, hangman, cody, lucha bros, cage, archer, brodie, jericho who can shore up a main event. I like swagger. I like mjf. Oc is okay 

I wonder what the hold up has been with pac.

Because he is a top flight guy fly him over

The Bucks took over the tag booking i think about the same time Brandi took the women booking from kenny 

Kenny's last booking decision was shida over nyla.

Booking has been so bad. I blame cody. He is jeff jarrett in tna bad

Edited by DrLariat
8 minutes ago, DrLariat said:

It was dumb. If this was on dark fine. But this is dynamite. Like i likw goofy segments. But just out of nowhere with this.

NxT was good this week they been rehashing feuds. But they built intrigue In both womens and tag divisions.

NXT has really done well with escobar and crew. The build up of Kushida, bronson, thatcher, and even though i hate him grimes.

AEW trying to right the pushes of wardlow, team taz, brit, kenny. And lucha bros is cool. Eddie Kingston vs Moxley is a nice dynamite feud. But to go to ppv with it. Why not just have archer.

I am looking forward to what smackdown can offer. Sami, bryan, rollins, big e, roman, jey. Possibly shinsuke and cesaro going back singles.

Otis being on raw seems like they were cognizant of tucker and otis actually only being able to work tags.

That's what is most depressing about AEW right now.

As bad as WWE consistently is, at least their Network shows are still entertaining.

Even if most of RAW is bad, Drew McIntyre is still a badass.  Randy Orton has been great.  

Even if most of Smackdown is bad, there's still Tribal Chief Roman Reigns.  

NXT even as their roster gets depleted there's still a lot of characters you can invest in.  Dexter Lumis has been "Heidenreich Done Right" so far.  

What is good about AEW right now?

Adam Page is a depressed drunk.  

Kenny Omega has been exposed thoroughly with his ceiling being "Dolph Ziggler."  Clearly he can thank Okada and Tanahashi for fooling people into thinking otherwise.  Still a great SFV commentator though.

Chris Jericho, MJF, see above.

Cody Rhodes has become what he said he hated; Reign of Terror Triple H.  He just thinks that not being the world champion will make people assuming he's giving other guys a turn.

Jon Moxley is...I don't know.  It's hard to take him seriously at this point, it's the same kind of wall Sandman hit once he stopped surrounding himself with the ECW hardcore.

The women's division...the less said, the better.  

Miro went from one wedding angle to another, and about to go on a rampage because someone fucked up his cab with the fraudulent Donkey King hi score guy as his handler alongside Kip Sabian.

The Dark Order is still a thing.  This was actually when AEW lost me as a competitor when I saw them at FyterFest at CEO.  It sucked the air out of that balloon.

The tag division, FTR has already found themselves right back to where they were when they were teaming with Orton.  While they are excellent wrestlers, I'm still unsure why I should see them as likable character unless I hear about how WWE fucked them over on the way out.  Even in NXT I never saw them as the stars of any feud they were in, they were the foils for the tag team angles that mattered.  American Alpha formation, the Vaudevillians, DIY.  THOSE are the teams that the stories were about.  The Revival were simply far better than expected given they were unknowns before WWE.  

Edited by Psychoblue

Moat of smackdown has actually been good though. Like actual matches and feuds that i am into. Gradually pushing people. The bayley run has been so good.

The problem with smackdown really was missing guys like roman and bryan. Show since roman has returned has hit another level and before then it was simple stuff.

I take umbrage with the booking of omega. I would have put the belt on him instead of Jericho. I would have continued the best bout machine rolling until losing the belt to moxley.

The fact is aew wasted a year with omega. He should be a bigger deal. The tag team with page was great. Him and page were better than the young bucks.

Cody allegedly is the head of booking with khan giving final approval.

I honestly think opening the door for guys to go to new japan and vice versa will be a boom for aew and njpw.

NJPw managed to make me into moxley much more than aew did. In aew dude has Darby and MJF as rivals. In NJPW guys like Ishii, shingo, kenta, cobb, juice, jay white, suzuki, zsj, tanahashi, okada are calling him out.

The talent pool in njpw is overall better than aew.

If meij got fired earlier kenny would have been brought back. 

2016 was one of my favorite years in wrestling. Njpw, wwe, and the indies were on fire

Edited by DrLariat
13 minutes ago, DrLariat said:

Moat of smackdown has actually been good though. Like actual matches and feuds that i am into. Gradually pushing people. The bayley run has been so good.

The problem with smackdown really was missing guys like roman and bryan. Show since roman has returned has hit another level and before then it was simple stuff.

I missed what you said about Naky and Cesaro but I had an idea of a "winner takes all" tag feud with him and Heavy Machinery, since right now it's looking less and less likely they're going to go all in with Otis the Champion barring a hurried Jinder type push.  Nakamura is able to obtain the briefcase, cashes it in on whoever is champ at the time, and then when Cesaro comes out to be a good sport, Naky gives him the Nut Shot into the Kinshaha.  Ideally this would happen at Extreme Rules to keep up Nakamura's supposed dominance at that event.

From there he cuts a promo on Cesaro saying that the reason he associated with him is that he is an easy mark that people like him can pad their resume' with in the tag division, until Nakamura felt it was time to break out again.  "People like me, we gain new honors when we feel like it.  People like Cesaro, he can only live in other people's shadows!"  

42 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Cody Rhodes has become what he said he hated; Reign of Terror Triple H.  He just thinks that not being the world champion will make people assuming he's giving other guys a turn

He is not reign of terror Triple H. Trips in that time outright buried every guy he faced. Cody isn't doing that. MJF is in his current spot because Cody put him over in their feud. He let Brodie squash him on his way out. He's the guy that legitimize Darby Allen to the AEW crowd. He trying to give that same rub to Orange Cassidy. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

He is not reign of terror Triple H. Trips in that time outright buried every guy he faced. Cody isn't doing that. MJF is in his current spot because Cody put him over in their feud. He let Brodie squash him on his way out. He's the guy that legitimize Darby Allen to the AEW crowd. He trying to give that same rub to Orange Cassidy. 

I was thinking more the pretentious infinitely long promos and getting the belt back almost immediately after losing it.  

29 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

I was thinking more the pretentious infinitely long promos and getting the belt back almost immediately after losing it.  

Funny enough he stopped the promos during his title reign. The EVPs have done a great job at fucking up feuds and stealing the thunder from other wrestlers.

*Cody and that damn tattoo overtook what should have been a huge building block for MJF to the point no one remembers what happened in the match despite it being a good match that told a story. As for his most recent feud Lee, Cody should have been kept off tv for much longer it made the call for the gimmick match make no sense.

*YB pulling the trigger on becoming heels knowing FTR was on the roster effectively killed the buildup before it even got off the ground. I’ve legit seen some people compare the “rebellious” act akin to Stone Cold and I’m like that makes no sense since you know these guys are part of the office. Also a lot of blaming it on the pandemic and I’m like not in this case.

Edited by Grimmjow316

Really? The youngbucks superkicking everyone because hangman screwed them over because alcoholism lulz

Srs Heel young bucks are shit. Make them those shitbag douches they are always being. This pouty no promos superkick we are heels now schtick is fucking lame.

FTR should be the guys avoiding the match running from them. Instead ftr out here calling them out and respecting every team in the division. They are also heels. But in the arn anderson vein of i will hurt you real bad, and i will come from behind. Which does not work when bucks are crybaby assholes lost my smile bitches.

FTR should go over in a tight 15 minutes

Omega and Page is basically TrentXTweek. Sorry golden lovers storyline with roles shifted. Where omega forgets about page and wants to attain singles glory. While page supports his friend but wants to remain a team and to be close.

It is actually okay i guess.

Cody doing the cena open challenge gimmick was good. But he should have lost again to brodie. Unless brodie got hurt and is out because filming a movie or whatever. I see no reason for him to have lost 

Moxley is the ace and should be beating everyone. But the issue is they have had everybody moxley and cody beat shifted to nothing feuds post moxley

Moxley does good work whomever he feuds with. But the aew aesthetic is so bleh.

Moxley in new japan is a whole different talent

5 hours ago, iStu X said:

NXT starting to piss me off. Some vanilla fuck facing Trent Seven kicked out of an emerald flowsion.

I hate everything. Lol

Trent seven was using burning hammer as a close call and his lame rainmaker also gets kicked out of

Being washed up at 37

I bet hero comes back from furloughs 

I'm happy that Miz and Morrison are moving towards "allied singles stars" rather than just a tag team, both of them should be doing way more as singles guys at this point.  While ideally it would be nice if Morrison got his due as a singles guy already and HE faced Otis for Money in the Bank, Miz has been absolute money since 2016.  I just think Morrison would benefit more with Miz being his hype guy rather than the other way around.  

Njpw power struggle. 

-6 man main event was wild 

-Kota having a certificate for his G1 win. Shoving it in Jay whites face. Cock ass lol

-ospreay took the night off. It's wild to watch a match where he doesn't try to do 1000 flops. But it was more about great okarns coming out party. 

-Suzuki vs shingo has a crazy sequence Goin during their tag match. Gimme a series between these two. 

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Njpw power struggle. 

-6 man main event was wild 

-Kota having a certificate for his G1 win. Shoving it in Jay whites face. Cock ass lol

-ospreay took the night off. It's wild to watch a match where he doesn't try to do 1000 flops. But it was more about great okarns coming out party. 

-Suzuki vs shingo has a crazy sequence Goin during their tag match. Gimme a series between these two. 

The series from wk, to new beginning, to summer struggle to g1 has been so fucking excellent 

Minoru going so hard at 52 is a testament to gotch bible

According to meltzer major aew guys will work njpw.

I wonder if aew lets Ambrose work a njpw us show since they let him work thwt gcw super spreader event.

Guys have to quarrentine in japan starting december. So would be interesting who gets a write off at full gear. And since impact tapes months of storylines good brothers good to go.

Imagine the kind of chaos when og bc shows up. Fuck imagine if kenny shows up.

Edited by DrLariat

Apparently the guy in the purple trunks was legit out cold after that splash, they dragged him over just so they could tag him out lol.  

I showed this to the FGC Wrestling FB group asking why they couldn't have just rolled him out of the ring to check on him so they wouldn't have to keep stepping over him, and I was called a stupid mark because the wrestler said that AEW handled it the right way, like we don't question WWE guys when they say stuff like that about WWE if they're still on the payroll.  

One response was as follows: "odd you ever broke your neck and had someone roll you around after? I bet not because I bet you would not walk after. Did you watch the undertaker/mankind match? Or the match were Owen breaks Austin neck? How about wwe having matches after Owen died and left a big bloody spot in the ring? Did you complain then? If not then you are two faced and just looking to complain about AEW"

Everyone knows that Owen shit was crooked.  These AEW fans are totally Trumpers, they can't admit they've been bamboozled no matter what.    

Edited by Psychoblue
2 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Why did MJF and Jericho have a musical number?

Because they thought it would be funny.

Ever since they started this angle it's been one comedy segment after another.  There has been little in terms of explaining why MJF would want to join Jericho given how far Jericho has fallen down the card, and neither MJF nor the Inner Circle are in line to challenge Moxley again.  It's possible they might go back to feuding with Cody but that would be a major step backwards for MJF.

So with all that being said, they did it because they thought it would be funny.