Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

46 minutes ago, scorp said:

I think that became a very very strong possibility when they released Braun.

For a company that has it's highest profits in forever, releasing a guy like Braun can only be seen as a cost cutting measure to make the company look better to potential buyers.

Releasing Bray should have turned up all the flags especially since he was a big merch mover for them apparently.

1 minute ago, Grimmjow316 said:

Releasing Bray should have turned up all the flags especially since he was a big merch mover for them apparently.

Supposedly there is info coming out that Bray had disagreements with Vince/Dunn.

Freddie Prinze Jr was on the The Ringer’s new wrestling podcast, and talked about his love for The Fiend. He said while he can’t say exactly why Bray was released, but apparently there were very big creative issues between Bray and Vince/Kevin Dunn. Freddie said Bray didn’t do business like they would have liked, and Vince/Dunn doubled down. He also hinted that this was the reason he lost to Goldberg in Saudi Arabia.

Honestly losing to Goldberg was something that needed to happen. Yes it is completely WWEs fault because The Fiend should have never been a character challenging for belts in the first place so they booked themselves in a corner. Also at the time people were really liking The Fiend so if you put him up against Roman you risk getting backlash and Roman getting booed again.

6 minutes ago, Grimmjow316 said:

Honestly losing to Goldberg was something that needed to happen. Yes it is completely WWEs fault because The Fiend should have never been a character challenging for belts in the first place so they booked themselves in a corner. Also at the time people were really liking The Fiend so if you put him up against Roman you risk getting backlash and Roman getting booed again.

Not like any of that mattered since Roman backed out of the match last minute. Roman still beat him for the belt at Payback

6 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Not like any of that mattered since Roman backed out of the match last minute. Roman still beat him for the belt at Payback

True it didn’t in the end since the pandemic in a messed up way helped and the Thunderdome era made the transition easier without much risk. Also by that time people look to have been burned out by Bray honestly.

Edited by Grimmjow316

It's weird because IRS said after he left that a lot of the Fiend, particularly the creepy funhouse stuff, was creative.  Bray was who came up with the edgelord Fiend stuff, which is why the Fiend seemingly came out of nowhere as those segments were starting to catch on.  Either way, I remember when HHH took over he began pressuring Johnny Ace guys like Axel and Ricardo so that he could get his NXT guys up more quickly.  It looks like Khan and Ace are returning the favor by just giving people the boot without the extra hassle of trying to diminish their position.  

Just now, Serpent said:

They kept jobbing Bray out, he absolutely should have complained and I'm glad he did. WWE honestly sucks. I hope AEW drives them into near bankruptcy. I don't want AEW to be a monopoly either, but I'd much rather see AEW as the lead dog than WWE.

WWE is going to be selling anyway, so they're gonna win by way of attrition unless they themselves self-destruct.  This IS a Tony Khan joint so that may be in the cards too.  

Edited by Psychoblue

Man I'm happy. I forgot how much I genuinely loved wrestling. Just how much it improved my life and gave me something to enjoy every week. I am really happy we have AEW. I don't know what the future holds, but I just can't watch WWE anymore. This is it for me. If AEW ever fails, I'm just done with wrestling forever. Wrestling when it's good is just so damn good. It's special. WWE made me forget that, it squeezed all the joy out of it. Honestly, fuck WWE. Fuck Vince.

8 minutes ago, iStu X said:

There’s plenty of reasons why I’m still not going to. CM Punk isn’t a draw for me

Emphasis on "for me", he's definitely a draw in general tho...... 

His new shirt literally crashed AEW's site, it's STILL down 

Edited by HD-Man
1 hour ago, Serpent said:

Man I'm happy. I forgot how much I genuinely loved wrestling. Just how much it improved my life and gave me something to enjoy every week. I am really happy we have AEW. I don't know what the future holds, but I just can't watch WWE anymore. This is it for me. If AEW ever fails, I'm just done with wrestling forever. Wrestling when it's good is just so damn good. It's special. WWE made me forget that, it squeezed all the joy out of it. Honestly, fuck WWE. Fuck Vince.

Well said, fellow mark.