Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

2 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

Apparently the guy in the purple trunks was legit out cold after that splash, they dragged him over just so they could tag him out lol.  

I showed this to the FGC Wrestling FB group asking why they couldn't have just rolled him out of the ring to check on him so they wouldn't have to keep stepping over him, and I was called a stupid mark because the wrestler said that AEW handled it the right way, like we don't question WWE guys when they say stuff like that about WWE if they're still on the payroll.  

One response was as follows: "odd you ever broke your neck and had someone roll you around after? I bet not because I bet you would not walk after. Did you watch the undertaker/mankind match? Or the match were Owen breaks Austin neck? How about wwe having matches after Owen died and left a big bloody spot in the ring? Did you complain then? If not then you are two faced and just looking to complain about AEW"

Everyone knows that Owen shit was crooked.  These AEW fans are totally Trumpers, they can't admit they've been bamboozled no matter what.    

I saw that and I was pissed. The ref didn't even bother to check on him. It's hard to believe that guy has 20+ years as a ref when seeing such negligence. Hope Silver is ok but holy shit do AEW refs need to stop being useless. Aubrey has only been in the business for 3 years and she a miles above the other refs.

I hate that defense. Just because WWE has a history of being shitty that doesn't absolve AEW of their shittyness. This company has let wrestlers continue wrestling after they been concussed, and won't check on guys when they get seriously hurt during matches. Both has happened to Britt Baker. Her knee was fucked during a tag match when a spot when wrong. She couldn't even stand and yet everybody carried on like nothing happened and didn't get checked on until it was over. AEW is running a sloppy shop that it's fanbase doesn't want to acknowledge. 

AEW matches are being refereed by d3v. 👀

On the none silly side, it bothers me great that AEW was supposed to be organization that would be on top of things like this and they've become near synonymous with allowing this mudshow nonsense. It almost feels like they have weekly meetings and go over things they can do to prove cornette right.

What's funny is that in that same twitter thread there is a tweet of a similar situation happening in NXT and the ref checks quickly on him and throws the X. Now Janellas CoVixellent adventures, the whole thing makes Impact look top tier.

39 minutes ago, odin said:

I love my “ECW with a WCW budget” AEW. 

They are definitely CZW with a WCW budget.  At least ECW had a cool MTV aesthetic even outside the garbage wrestling and sus angles.  

also I lol'd here.  I also admit that I listen to Corny every week because he makes me laugh too.  He's a better promo as an old man yelling at the google cloud than he was as a manager.  Konnan has pointed out that while AEW probably does what you're saying, they're not doing it the way they should.  Konnan and Disco were saying that they can confirm that guys in WWE and NXT listen to Cornette to try and get something useful out of his feedback, because they're able to pick up the stuff that's useful from the extra baggage that his tirades include.  AEW wrestlers, or at least the ones who are commonly in the line of fire, think that any kind of criticism that isn't mindless praise are the words of haters.  It's ridiculous to think AEW is a contender for the #1 promotion in the world when they keep poking at someone who is at this point some old man yelling at the clouds.  They empower Corny by acknowledging him as much as they do.  

40 minutes ago, Sonero said:

AEW matches are being refereed by d3v. 👀

On the none silly side, it bothers me great that AEW was supposed to be organization that would be on top of things like this and they've become near synonymous with allowing this mudshow nonsense. It almost feels like they have weekly meetings and go over things they can do to prove cornette right.

Edited by Psychoblue
4 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

Apparently the guy in the purple trunks was legit out cold after that splash, they dragged him over just so they could tag him out lol.  

I showed this to the FGC Wrestling FB group asking why they couldn't have just rolled him out of the ring to check on him so they wouldn't have to keep stepping over him, and I was called a stupid mark because the wrestler said that AEW handled it the right way, like we don't question WWE guys when they say stuff like that about WWE if they're still on the payroll.  

One response was as follows: "odd you ever broke your neck and had someone roll you around after? I bet not because I bet you would not walk after. Did you watch the undertaker/mankind match? Or the match were Owen breaks Austin neck? How about wwe having matches after Owen died and left a big bloody spot in the ring? Did you complain then? If not then you are two faced and just looking to complain about AEW"

Everyone knows that Owen shit was crooked.  These AEW fans are totally Trumpers, they can't admit they've been bamboozled no matter what.    

We said it before we will say it again. Earl Hebner during cody and dustin not checking on dustin at all and being hands off.

Aubrey trying to end a match with matt hardy after he got concussed

The dozens of covid infections 

Now this. 

The referees suck when it comes to kayfabe and irl the safety lf the wrestlers. Aew runs a sloppy shop.

Also private party with all their flips are sloppy af. So something like this does not surprise me. How AEW did not hire Mike Chioda full time and have their refs get first aid training i don't know.

Reynolds took even more young bucks offense after the ko. Instead of getting him out of the match he took unnecessary bumps because the guys had to get their shit in

Fuck aew

3 hours ago, Sonero said:

Reaffirms my decision that watching old Dean Malenko matches is better than anything going on in current wrestling.

I suggest some alex wright vs dean malenko

They have some bangers 

Syxx Vs Dean Malenko feud was fire bruh

Edited by DrLariat
2 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

AEW wrestlers, or at least the ones who are commonly in the line of fire, think that any kind of criticism that isn't mindless praise are the words of haters.

Have you heard the interview FTR did with Busted Open Radio? They talked about how they got heat from the AEW locker room for doing Cornette's podcast. They must have skin made of wet tissue for just being on a podcast to rustle jimmies. 

19 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Have you heard the interview FTR did with Busted Open Radio? They talked about how they got heat from the AEW locker room for doing Cornette's podcast. They must have skin made of wet tissue for just being on a podcast to rustle jimmies. 

More like cornette shits on them every week. He has never said a nice thing about aew. Why would you want your guys to promote a show that hates everything you do. 

Listen to anything about sonny kiss and tell me you don't cringe. 

Edited by Maxx
9 minutes ago, Maxx said:

More like cornette shits on them every week. He has never said a nice thing about aew. Why would you want your guys to promote a show that hates everything you do. 

I don't see why they should start beef with FTR over it. FTR never hid the fact that guys like Cornette is who they drew from. Jim Crockett and Mid South style is what the FTR defines themselves on. It shouldn't be a surprise to that locker room that they would share the same thoughts about wrestling or godfid  interact with the man himself. 

He does say some nice things. He does praise their production and a couple of guys on their roster like Mark Quinn and Wardlow. Dude gives Cody and MJF a blowjob whenever they are on screen. AEW is amateur hour and as a season vet he can and should tear that ass. 

Him and Meltzer are like a two sides of the same coin,  Meltzer will kiss AEW ass to no end and barely criticize or bring up some of the issues backstage. While Cornette will blister them and bring up some logical points in between all the insults, while I disagree on his comments with Sonny and women’s wrestling he’s usually pretty good on the other stuff.

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I think a lot of it comes from guys who have nowhere else to go

I think anybody would have released janella after all the bullshit he pulled

Even whined online about his jobbing.

The biggest aew stans are bte fans. They shit in njpw and wwe while praising aew.

AEW has so many fucking issues. The body rots from the head down and i blame khan for being a fucking mark letting the inmates run the asylum.

I love moxley doing his own shit. AeW when mox is on is must watch for me because his feuds always have logic 

Meanwhile the elite has:

Cody as tna king of the mountain jeff jarrett

The young bucks nonsensical heel turn and overall blahness of the tag division

The womens division under brandi has become background

Kenny rehashing golden lovers stuff with hangman

AEW has talent but no overall vision

Like if i was going to say anything aew needs a head booker that guides everybody.

Edited by DrLariat
1 hour ago, Sonero said:

that is so hilariously, preposterously wrong it's not even funny.

He has said plenty of nice things about AEW. AEW stans just shove both fists in their ears when it comes to what he says.

Point out the good things. I'm not an aew Stan, so you're already starting with a bias against me. I'm a fan of prowrestling on general and watch everything

Edited by Maxx
3 hours ago, Maxx said:

He's been praising Sonny a ton lately

But it's pretty clear if you listen that he's not shitting on them for no reason, amid his rants are extremely helpful feedback that guys can incorporate and have, hence what Disco and Konnan said about him and how he will analyze every single hold and spot and what can be done to get the same story done with less headache.  That's why other wrestlers value his input and learn to sift through the baggage.  

Edited by Psychoblue

I think how you can tell about enthusiasm is look at when tony and jr turn it up or just act bored

There is a lot that both see in the product, but man how you can have guys like Wardlow, swagger, and cage but keep them off tv just makes no sense for me.

Wardlow's squash of jungle boy i hope signals the end of jungle boys kicks out of everything

2 minutes ago, Grimmjow316 said:

Reigns kicking off the PPV feels so weird to me. Hoping Sasha/Bayley closes the show.

I'm going to watch it tomorrow while I do my home workout.  Watching the Network while on break from telehealth and getting my exercises done has made me hella swole since lockdown began.  

1 hour ago, Psychoblue said:

He's been praising Sonny a ton lately

But it's pretty clear if you listen that he's not shitting on them for no reason, amid his rants are extremely helpful feedback that guys can incorporate and have, hence what Disco and Konnan said about him and how he will analyze every single hold and spot and what can be done to get the same story done with less headache.  That's why other wrestlers value his input and learn to sift through the baggage.  

He literally was just shitting on sonny. He's insulted everything from sexuality to wrestling. In the past said he will never be over. Said he shouldn't be wrestling. Where are the good things? 

Edited by Maxx
25 minutes ago, Maxx said:

He literally was just shitting on sonny. He's insulted everything from sexuality to wrestling. In the past said he will never be over. Said he shouldn't be wrestling. Where are the good things? 

He admits several times in this clip that Sonny is a great athlete but is very unpolished as a pro wrestler when it comes to the basics.  He has constantly praises Sonny's athleticism, and generally has a lot more nice things to say about Sonny compared to Kenny.  This was more Jim saying Sonny isn't good enough to carry Kenny rather than the other way around, since he's convinced at this point that the only reason Kenny had all of that hype around him was that Dave Meltzer was in with him, and that Okada and Tanahashi were that damn good to fool people to think he was the true Best Bout Machine.  I can't judge on that part but I will admit he's looked completely ineffective in AEW.  

As for Sonny never being over...imagine watching AEW and seeing Sonny get wrecked, and then your non-fan friend or family walk in.  What are they going to think of that, and of you?  "And then your non-fans walk in" is a litmus scale that I've used when watching sus stuff in wrestling whenever it's presented on RAW or SD or Impact over the years.  It's hard to take Sonny seriously as a competitor when they are presented the way they are, when you have others who are legit and openly gay like Fred Rosser, Sonya Deville and others who have that as part of their characters without it being the only thing to them.  Sonny is more of a caricature type gay and it can be difficult to take them seriously even if Sonny is a great athlete (which has been stated by Jim many, many times)

And to be fair, we already have Nyla Rose, who identifies as a woman, in the women's division yet Sonny, who also (allegedly) identifies as a woman is in the men's division.  I thought Sonny was a He pronoun for a long time being they were presented in the men's division when the precedent was already established by Nyla.  

Edited by Psychoblue

He says he's a great athlete and has said he shouldn't be wrestling. He talks about how he should be a gay dancer. He's basically saying he shouldn't be anywhere near wrestling. He insults him by saying oh he was a gymnast.. So was Jake atlas so was AJ styles. But he says it as a way to demean him that he should be going somewhere else that isn't wrestling with the skills he has. 

The match where he said he would never get over he won. So it had nothing to do with being wrecked. 

Edited by Maxx

Honestly, the things Jim says about Sonny are cringe worthy. While I do agree he can't work but he should lay off cabana boy stuff he loves to insult him for. 

Personally I want AEW to leverage their relationship with AAA to have him work as a exotico for a while. He'll learn how to work in Mexico. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
3 hours ago, Maxx said:

Point out the good things.

Let's see here.

He has praised Scorpio Sky as a talent. Brit Baker's heel turn and her heel work. He was high on MJF until the dance sequence with Jericho. Gave high marks to a lot of segments with MJF, Cody etc. He was really high on Luchasaurus until Luchasaurus started giving bad promos and being green in the ring.

The matches that FTR has had with other talent who can work he praised. He likes Sammy Guevara until he does goofy stuff.  He likes a lot of people until they do shitty indie stuff actually. He liked a lot of Jericho's work until they did the teleportation thing with Matt Hardy.

He has a love/hate relationship with Darby Allen. Mostly because he does cool stuff in the ring but is also prone to nonsensical stuff all around.  Oooh, dude loved that promo from Eddie Kingston; hates the booking for the tag teams.

Most of the people saying Cornette only hates are just half listening and looking to be mad. His beef with Sonny is that the dude is ass in the ring. If Sony was gay as fuck and doing matches like Eddie Guerrero or Malenko, he'd still hate some of the gimmick but he'd be praising him.

Dude hates dumb shit in wrestling. As a matter of fact, most of the shit he hates, a lot of people have hated through the years too. You could probably go through years of the SRK wrestling thread, and you'd find complaints (from a lot of us) of booking from WWE for similar reasons.

They can get mad at him all they want, but that stupid butted Mimosa Match was trash and AEW is out there wasting time instead of putting on solid matches.

10 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Let's see here.

He has praised Scorpio Sky as a talent. Brit Baker's heel turn and her heel work. He was high on MJF until the dance sequence with Jericho. Gave high marks to a lot of segments with MJF, Cody etc. He was really high on Luchasaurus until Luchasaurus started giving bad promos and being green in the ring.

The matches that FTR has had with other talent who can work he praised. He likes Sammy Guevara until he does goofy stuff.  He likes a lot of people until they do shitty indie stuff actually. He liked a lot of Jericho's work until they did the teleportation thing with Matt Hardy.

He has a love/hate relationship with Darby Allen. Mostly because he does cool stuff in the ring but is also prone to nonsensical stuff all around.  Oooh, dude loved that promo from Eddie Kingston; hates the booking for the tag teams.

Most of the people saying Cornette only hates are just half listening and looking to be mad. His beef with Sonny is that the dude is ass in the ring. If Sony was gay as fuck and doing matches like Eddie Guerrero or Malenko, he'd still hate some of the gimmick but he'd be praising him.

Dude hates dumb shit in wrestling. As a matter of fact, most of the shit he hates, a lot of people have hated through the years too. You could probably go through years of the SRK wrestling thread, and you'd find complaints (from a lot of us) of booking from WWE for similar reasons.

They can get mad at him all they want, but that stupid butted Mimosa Match was trash and AEW is out there wasting time instead of putting on solid matches.

-always thought luchasaurus was green. 

-being ass in the ring should be separate from sonny's gender preferences. You can't say you don't care if someone is gay or what race they see.. Then literally in the same breath be disgusted Jr calls sonny a she. When sonny uses both. "he is clearly a man". You can't say you don't care and then be disgusted. 

24 minutes ago, Maxx said:

being ass in the ring should

Its a very dangerous job. Sonny is constantly put out there even though the dude is rough six ways til sunday. being ass in the ring makes you dangerous and makes the show bad overall.

Cornette didn't really have any issues with Nyla Rose other than how they used her. They had a monster heel who could generate heat just becuase she is transgender and they basically buried her. Whenever Rose did some green shit, he called it out. Other than that his main issue was booking.

If Sonny was putting on good matches, he probably had a lot less shit to talk.  When the wrestling is bad, he goes extra hard. Why would a professional outfit put people on TV who can potentially be dangerous? If being extra gay is your gimmick (doesn't bother me but that is Sonny's gimmick) then how are you supposed to hate the gimmick?

🤷‍♂️

So 

Also with aew they keep their good hands like scu on dark. They relegate cage, swagger, wardlow, all to dark. They keep Rusev in a nothing team because better than nothing 

The booking being shit and not having sonny out there working kazarian, dustin, chuckie, and tye dillinger types weekly is a detriment to the booking.

AEW booked like a stupid super indy where they just throw out flippy guys for the sake of it.

And again i think that is khan being a mark and letting the guys book. Khan needs to bring in guys that book like kevin sullivan or even the guys at mlw to build stuff

They kept touting sports like presentations but they been pwg with a budget and it sucks 

MLW presents itself as a sport. Their guys are legit and violent. No pathetic stories about losing their smiles or cults or comedy shit that is only over to your niche.

Give me two guys fighting for a reason.

Moxley is doing his own take on Atsushi Onits. He is the only guy with a character path and direction. This is why he is the main character. The ace. I really missed dude in njpw because i want that match with Okada

Edited by DrLariat

Roman vs. Jey was awesome. This run with Roman is proving he’s a lot better than what wwe has let him be post-shield. I love slow, methodical and manipulative Roman. Seeing Afa and Sika was awesome. 

Has Elias always had a lisp? Why are they still referencing that garbage feud Jeff had with Sheamus? Lastly, I absolutely do not like Jeff Hardy but his past addiction issues is such low hanging fruit now. I’m so tired of people referencing it. Oh, also, I think that’s the first time I’ve seen Hardy’s back piece. The one on the left looks like Omega Shenron. You’re not going to convince me otherwise. 

I love that Otis is just that dude who has no issues sporting a crop top. I need that kinda confidence. Kayla is so tasty. I think someone here mentioned how great it is that  Miz and Morrison are still together but just serve as the others hypeman when needed. I gotta agree. It’s great. Otis’s theme is fantastic. I also would have accepted a remix of Biscuits and Gravy. So they took the MitB of Otis for reasons? That sucks. 

WWE acknowledging how much the rap and hip-hop community loves Ric Flair via Skittles Commercial is low key fucking brilliant. 

Kayla Braxton is so damn cute. Now that Morrison is getting up there in age he’s starting to look a little like Frankie Kazarian. 

Seeing Bayley as a heel is still super weird to me since Dusty was very adamant about her never going heel. That said: her heel run as an omega Karen has been really good. It’s just jarring cause I’m still use to sweet baby angel with robots on her tights and a great smile bayley. Now all she wants to do is talk to a manager. 

Lol at bitch basically being wwe’s f-bomb. OMG DEY SED SE B WURD!

i love Sasha‘s meteora. It’s such a simple move but oddly hard to make look good. I remember when Ricochet use to use it on the indies he called in the Chocolate Rain. That toe hold kendo spot looked insanely painful. So did the sunset bomb into the cell. Omg. Another sunset bomb but into a positioned steel chair. They’re murdering each other. Sasha vs. Bayley was phenomenal 

MVP has always been one of best promos of modern day wrestling. I haven’t seen much of Hurt Business but this promo and a few others I’ve seen have made me a huge fan. 

Retribution’s theme suuuuuucks. Slap Jack is Shane throne isn’t it? Retribution seems like modern day JOB Squad. Mia Yim in those sweats though. She hiding some cakes. 

This match between Drew and Orton really sucks. It’s boring as shit. I did not need 7 replays of Drew falling from the cell since it’s a bump that happens every main even HitC so it no longer adds any reverence when it happens. Wow. Randy actually won. 14 time champ. RKO still remains one of the best finishers ever. Match was still boring af though. 

I feel like half the PPV could have been handled on a weekly but it was still a solid card overall. Sasha vs. Bayley I think barely squeaks by Roman/Jey as my MotN

Edited by iStu X

Honestly Orton works to his opponent and highlights their strengths. Dude had good matches with mark henry.

Drew never been more than okay. He has never had matches that i had to go out of my way to watch. Then again i liked the series with Bobby Roode. But outside of well even his indy stuff was bland. He looks like a star and is a 3 star guy.

I really think Drew need guys who make his lame ass moves look good. I think the matches with ricochet were okay. Bur he needs somebody to push him. If it wasn't rollins to get him there then i don't know. Drew has been a background guy on raw. Hell the guy he was feuding with was feuding with Keith lee we want keith to beat orton for the belt. Nothing involving drew has been must see at qll

Reigns in comparison has had a dramatic effect in the show. He is the ace. He is the tribal chief. Everything he says and does carries weight.

Drew is a midcarder. Reigns is the main event

Every wrestler that I've spoken to whose opinion I trust on the matter treat Orton as GOAT status like he's Daigo.  I will always fight the notion that he's inherently boring because for years and years he would (and likely still when crowds return) always get pops even when he was heeling it up and burying other favorites, RR 2014 being the main exception.  At any rate, he's been fire since he began embracing the RKO Outta Nowhere meme and he has had a great year thus far.  Glad he'll get another run even it might be as a transitional champ with Miz looming.

I'm going to get started on watching everything now.  Sounds like it was a good show.  

Edited by Psychoblue
5 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The goats praise Orton because he wrestles a safe style and looks out for his opponents for the most (Randy seems real careless with table spots). Though his slow and methodical style can lead to very boring matches. He often milks things for far too long. 

As I said it works better with live crowds.  People get hype just for him teasing a damn taunt and his finisher isn't just crazy over, but easy to do and take and always looks good.  

8 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

As I said it works better with live crowds.  People get hype just for him teasing a damn taunt and his finisher isn't just crazy over, but easy to do and take and always looks good.  

Having crowds don't always make it better. His matches with Jinder, AJ Styles, Bobby Rhode, and Kofi were duds imo. The guys definitely earned his flowers but he can be very boring.