Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Given how long Punk was gone it was a good thing he didn't main-event Grand Slam. It was obvious that Punk lost a few steps in his first couple of matches. The match with Hobbs really highlighted it. Punk having matches with midcard guys to shake off the rust is the best thing for him. 

I was thinking more drawing power than actual match quality, that match would have been cheered ferociously regardless just like Rock v Hogan.  I know I'm definitely not the only one to think that either, but it is what it is.  

9 minutes ago, scorp said:

It’s so easy to book a face winning clean. 
Feels good for everyone. 

I read someone saying “how easy would it have been to make Starcade 97 end the same way?” But nope.. that needed bullshit shenanigans. I’m glad bookers have smartened up since then. 

Bruh if Page still lost after that whole bit of the contract being signed in blood that would be almost HHH/Booker levels of disaster.  

24 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

I was thinking more drawing power than actual match quality, that match would have been cheered ferociously regardless just like Rock v Hogan.  I know I'm definitely not the only one to think that either, but it is what it is.  

AEW wouldn't want to jeopardize future drawing power by stinking up like place. Scott Steiner was a big draw when he was brought in and then Royal Rumble 03 happened. 

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

AEW wouldn't want to jeopardize future drawing power by stinking up like place. Scott Steiner was a big draw when he was brought in and then Royal Rumble 03 happened. 

Punk works best as a Bret Hart type grappler/striker anyway so I think they still could have had a great match keeping it simple.  Wrestling isn't about moves and shit anyway, it's about the psychology and reading the room.  

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Omega will be out with a shoulder injury. He revealed that he has been wrestling with vertigo since 2018

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/report-kenny-omega-worked-aew-full-gear-2021-hurt-shoulder

Yea, he's been hurt awhile and he's had a hell of a schedule holding the belt for like 3 different companies. He def deserves his rest for holding it down for wrestling as a whole

22 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Funny thing is that Omega still has the AAA belt (unless he vacates it or something).

I don't think he has defended that particular belt that many times though, and he has been holding onto it for 2 years now LOL.

Belts are throwaway in Mexican promotions. I bet he can sit out the entirely of his injury and AAA not caring he has the belt.

1 hour ago, scorp said:

Man it sounds like it was the drizzling shits.

But the money keeps rolling in, so no reason to change anything.

True, ppl were in the crowd chanting AEW...but they paid for the right to do that. Ppl gotta show WWE their shit is wack by NOT supporting the product, only way we'll see any change