Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

@WWE Twitch mandate

Do you guys remember how Vince escaped the 1994 steroid trial? One of the key witnesses, Nailz, went on record saying "I hate Vince McMahon's guts" and that voided his testimony. Andrew Yang said he's going to go to war with WWE over this if he gets the labor practice spot if/when Biden wins, which would be awesome if he hasn't already gone to dirt sheet podcasts and on twitter saying similar impartial things that could harm him when it's showtime in court. Imagine if him going on record saying he's a big fan of AEW and has grown to hate what WWE has become is used against him and that statute that voided Nailz' testimony is put into play there too. Yang would never hear the end of it. It occurred to me last night thinking about the twitch stuff and that guy saying he's going to end Vince over it on twitter.

from PWInsider, which in the last few years has gained a much better track record with internal WWE news than the Observer:

""PWInsider noted that there has been a fear among talents that if they sign over their Twitch accounts to WWE then they could lose a significant amount of revenue during a time when there are no bonuses being paid out since live events have been scrapped due to the pandemic. WWE has no plans to run live events again until 2022. However, WWE sources told PWInsider that since talents are not on the road, their road expenses are down and pretty much the entire roster has signed new deals that given them a higher downside guarantee. The belief is that the mandate to wrestlers regarding Twitch and Cameo is likely as a result of WWE President & Chief Revenue Officer Nick Khan being hired in August. One theory being floated is that Khan is trying to position the company as an in-house management firm for their talent so that all third-party offers need to go through WWE. There’s also been talk of WWE expanding their Twitch presence in a major way and wrestlers having their own Twitch accounts would stand in their way."

^Because of COURSE a Khan in wrestling would be responsible for things going to hell.  

Edited by Psychoblue

Watching NXT 

Why bring Ember back just to job her in her first solo match? Can 50/50 booking not be a thing. 

I like that Cameron Grimes is now a comedy gimmick. Cause I hated him as a legit midcard heel. 

I don’t like they’re that going to feed Io to Rhea. Rhea should be on the main roster. 

im betting Pete didn’t say cheese into the camera because he’s a vegan. 

Johnny finally channelling his old DGUSA heel goofiness is great. Now I’m starting to warm up to him. 

Somehow toni got even more PAWG. That thicc thigh meat. Those shotzi botch’s were unfortunate. I’m glad Shotzi loss to a flash pin. Didn’t make her look weak and kept Toni looking strong. The tank looks fine. Just the top popped off. I still feel bad for shotzi though. She’s a sweet baby Angel and I’ll protect her smile forever. 

I like the subtle touch of Toni comforting her. It means she’s going to be apart of the feud vs. Candice and whoever her “understudy”. I can’t exactly remember her name 

Edit

Oh shit. I posted thinking the episode was over. Guess it’s not

oh dip, @Maxxgot stretched by Thatcher. 

Xia Li facing Raquel will be interesting. Raquel definitely proved herself vs. Rhea. 

Ciampa vs. Dream is the main event? Fucking snore. Ciampa should be on main roster or just not being used. Dream just shouldn’t be on TV. 

Now that Dream has been outed as a pedophile all the stuff that have him that weird sexual swagger is now just disgusting. 

Ciampa trying to look like Tmnt shredder fucked sub-zero. Ciampa’s whole gimmick for being a grumpy guss heel is so dumb. The wrestling equivalent of “get off my lawn”. Johnny and Ciampa should have been called up years ago. 

I don’t know why dream went for the chair. Like...at all. Especially since dream threw it in and went to the top rope. Like...why would you do that? That was such a dumb finish. Lol

Edited by iStu X
31 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Isn't Ciampa actually AGAINST being called up? I believe he said he preferred to stay in NXT, and who would blame him...

There’s a lot of guys besides just Ciampa who never want to go main roster. Ciampa just happens to be the most vocal. He’s said numerous time in interviews if they try to call him up if he can’t convince them to move him to a backstage role he’ll just quit and retire from wrestling. 

Edited by iStu X

I watched Full Gear and I didn't care for it personally as I wasn't personally invested in any of the matches. 

I thought Page vs Omega was meh. For all the months wasted on that angle those guys didn't bother to put any emotion into the match. Kingston/Mox had far more emotion into it and they only feuded for like a month. 

I only really liked FTR vs the Bucks and Elite Deletion. 

1 hour ago, scorp said:

So did anyone else watch the best wrestling PPV of 2020 or nah?

They need to learn to cut down on matches you didn’t need that cruddy Matt Hardy/Sammy feud could have saved that shit for a random episode of Dynamite, OC match should have been preshow wasn’t PPV worthy. 

Agree with Hawk over Omega/Page just wasn’t feeling it and FTR/YB was the MOTN for me despite the ending. As for the Moxley match I would have loved it a 100% if not for the fact that just about every other title match with Mox is a garbage style stipulation match that it made this one lose meaning a bit. If this was Moxley first ever no rules stipulation match it would have really resonated so much more IMO.

Edited by Grimmjow316
16 hours ago, DrLariat said:

I hate darby. I hope cage squashes him but since cody loves him i bet he beats cage and archer. OC is a better choice for tnt champ

Darby is the only AEW Original (those who didn't make their name in WWE/TNA/NJPW) that I can envision as someone with any sort of mainstream appeal.  Whatever madness that possessed them to try so hard with Orange should have been done with Darby, but it didn't take long for him to fall in rank with the other garbage wrestling goofs like Jimmy Havoc until this weekend.  Hopefully they do him right this time.  

1 minute ago, Psychoblue said:

I'm excited for this because it finally, finally forces WWE to move on from that stagnant engine.  It's AEW's loss.

Fed Up Stare GIF

Quite an assumption to make.

Considering it's known how much Kenny and other gamers from AEW would have a say.

I doubt they want it to be shit like the WWE games.

Just now, scorp said:

Fed Up Stare GIF

Quite an assumption to make.

Considering it's known how much Kenny and other gamers from AEW would have a say.

I doubt they want it to be shit like the WWE games.

They've also made some pretty outrageous claims about being a sports based wrestling program yet here we are with guys who fight with their hands in their pockets, caricatures who are called "progressive," and guys feuding over broken cabs.  

They'll have a say but I doubt it'll be anything what they claim it'll be.  Come back to me when it's AEW All-Stars.

1 minute ago, Psychoblue said:

They've also made some pretty outrageous claims about being a sports based wrestling program yet here we are with guys who fight with their hands in their pockets, caricatures who are called "progressive," and guys feuding over broken cabs.  

They'll have a say but I doubt it'll be anything what they claim it'll be.  Come back to me when it's AEW All-Stars.

Shades of Cornette in this. 

I get you.

I am hoping they don't drop the ball on the game.

Just now, scorp said:

Shades of Cornette in this. 

I get you.

I am hoping they don't drop the ball on the game.

There are times that man is just nitpicking for no reason but the reason I started listening to him in the first place is because I walked out of FyterFest CEO with concerns and the only person on the whole internet who seemed to echo those concerns, albeit way louder than me given it was just my first impression of many of these guys, was the old man yelling at the google cloud.  Even Konnan has turned on AEW and he was one of their most vocal supporters assuring people things would be different.

But yes, I hope the game is fun.  I think the AEW faithful will eat it up like NBA2K fans all the same just because it's not the E.  I think Battlegrounds has way more potential than people give it credit for, I was one of the discord mods of Playgrounds and that game turned around pretty big over the course of a few months.  The last Battlegrounds update did a lot to further individualize the cast and fix some of the more glaring balance and bug issues, so I hope WWE sticks with that formula moving forward but adds a bigger budget and more unique movelists like All-Stars.  

Just now, Psychoblue said:

But yes, I hope the game is fun.  I think the AEW faithful will eat it up like NBA2K fans all the same just because it's not the E.  I think Battlegrounds has way more potential than people give it credit for, I was one of the discord mods of Playgrounds and that game turned around pretty big over the course of a few months.  The last Battlegrounds update did a lot to further individualize the cast and fix some of the more glaring balance and bug issues, so I hope WWE sticks with that formula moving forward but adds a bigger budget and more unique movelists like All-Stars.  

I don't think you can start with an All-Stars type game off the bat.

Gotta give em a traditional game to start off.

And if it's anything like the WWE games, I'm not gonna enjoy it. Speed that shit up to HCTP quickness.

All-Stars was great though. The chain grapples with Bret were fantastic.

Just now, scorp said:

I don't think you can start with an All-Stars type game off the bat.

Gotta give em a traditional game to start off.

And if it's anything like the WWE games, I'm not gonna enjoy it. Speed that shit up to HCTP quickness.

All-Stars was great though. The chain grapples with Bret were fantastic.

I want to see AEW be a DoR3 type of game, good mix of casual and hardcore with how momentum works.  Of course given it's AEW where guys just do stuff it might be better if the EX meter worked like Guilty Gear where you gain crazy bar just by moving forward a bunch.  

19 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

I want to see AEW be a DoR3 type of game, good mix of casual and hardcore with how momentum works.  Of course given it's AEW where guys just do stuff it might be better if the EX meter worked like Guilty Gear where you gain crazy bar just by moving forward a bunch.  

I actually never played they Day of Reckoning games!