Stage Select

The Zelda Thread: TOTK officially out May 12th, spoilers out now. Avoid social media if you can.

5 minutes ago, Volt said:

I'd really rather not. What if the connection with Skyward Sword is bigger than we imagined and it's something to do with Demise?

I actually think it would be cool for Demise to start making his come back. The Ganon Vessel has failed time and again, Malice is literally leaking all over the land, its kinda time for Demise to resurface. But i also kind of doubt Demise is a thing anymore to. Pretty sure, like Hylia, he died and was reborn as Ganon, as Hylia is reborn as Zelda. Demise and Hylia arent really a thing anymore. 

We all know we want Fi back. Don't lie to me ya'll.

Set up the wii last night for my crippled dad and he asked about skyward sword cause we have a copy. 

Asked if I liked it, I told him it was aight, I'm just salty cause it doesn't have a lefty mode and it's the only zelda game ever that Link isn't left handed. 

Then my dad genuinely said "Man... That's fucked up" 🤣

Too bad this HD rerelease will never go on sale. I'd be willing to give the buttons only controls a spin 

6 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Set up the wii last night for my crippled dad and he asked about skyward sword cause we have a copy. 

Asked if I liked it, I told him it was aight, I'm just salty cause it doesn't have a lefty mode and it's the only zelda game ever that Link isn't left handed. 

Link is Right handed in the Wii/WiiU version of Twilight Princess and BotW as well. 

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This is kind of correct but the only canon version of TP is the GC version since that's the way the game was originally done and they just flipped it.  TP Link is left handed canonically.

Does the Switch Version of BotW have motion controls? Because honestly, the only games where Link are right-handed besides it are because of motion BS.

Also, yes, GC TP is the canon TP.

Speaking of TP's mirrored nonsense... fuck that. 🤣

No matter what version I play, I always get mixed up because I played both a lot. Lakebed Temple is the worst because of this. (And those gross ChuChus. Shit sends a whole shiver down my spine.)

Edited by Volt
1 hour ago, Volt said:

Does the Switch Version of BotW have motion controls? Because honestly, the only games where Link are right-handed besides it are because of motion BS.

Also, yes, GC TP is the canon TP.

Speaking of TP's mirrored nonsense... fuck that. 🤣

No matter what version I play, I always get mixed up because I played both a lot. Lakebed Temple is the worst because of this. (And those gross ChuChus. Shit sends a whole shiver down my spine.)

If by 'motion' are you talking about 'swinging your joy con to swing your sword' then no.  You do have gyro control for aiming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Ima try and scoop it this weekend. I kinda sorta feel like the Zelda thread could use a reboot, might talk to Sonichuman about it, he's really good at putting together OPs and stuff. 

you got jokes GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Edited by iStu X
  • Volt changed the title to The Zelda Thread: Now you know why they're launching Skyward HD (Out now!)

Played a bit, in the forest rn.

The motion controls are a lot better than the Wii version, but as responsive as they are, the game really feels like it got a bit too much motion-based stuff. Flying for example, strikes me as superfluous.

You can switch to button-layout on the fly.

Framerate does make an incredible difference. The game just feels so much better because of that.

Low key disappointed I couldn't start straight in Hero Mode.

If any of you got any questions that'd need a hands-on experience but are ducking spoilers, @ me.

4 hours ago, iStu X said:

My switch op was good but never appreciated. 😞 

its okay, Sonic is better at them. :’(

I appreciate your work lol.   My Zelda thread on *redacted* I don't think had a good OP.  Can't remember what I put in at the top but I did try to keep it alive when I could.  I'm probably going to start up a Sonic thread on here but I feel like now isn't the best opportunity to do so.  I wasn't even sure people appreciated the threads I made outside of VGG so it is nice to hear feedback.

I started SSHD tonight and they really did a good job making everything more crisp and clear now.  I'd say it definitely does the artstyle that they went with for this game better service.  Would have been even better if they increased some of the polygons on some of the characters but it's fine.  Just got the sword right before I had to call it a night and tried out the motion controls.  So far I think I might prefer them on Switch right now in comparison to the Wii which I wasn't sure was going to happen or not.  Still going to reserve judgement but the joy cons are more responsive than I gave them credit for.    I feel like I only have to put maybe an 8th of effort into the swing right now to get it to come out.    Playing this game with full camera control is weirding me out but it's definitely better and it's just going to take a bit of time to get used too. 

1 minute ago, Sonichuman said:

Just got the sword right before I had to call it a night and tried out the motion controls. 

Did you happen to try the non-motion controls out at all? I'm curious about how well that works. Still haven't picked the game up yet since I just started Returnal (which is fantastic, btw), but I'll get it soon.

9 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Did you happen to try the non-motion controls out at all? I'm curious about how well that works. Still haven't picked the game up yet since I just started Returnal (which is fantastic, btw), but I'll get it soon.

Everyone who tried to play on pad on Dolphin immediately recognized the trap.

It's extremely awkward to control the sword with the right stick. Like, incredibly awkward. And let's not even get on the rest of the controls. Tried flying with button controls, immediately went back, it's just not good at all.

In other news, farming is embarrassingly easy in this game. Pretty much everything respawns with a little time or distance. Loading sections also damn near guarantee refreshes. It's especially noticeable with birds since they flock back to where they were if you put a minimum distance after catching some, but Ancient Flowers are also incredibly easy to farm.

I honestly like it better that way. Less of a hassle when I need things in bulk. I know I hated having to go all over the place for some critters in BotW.

Speaking of the GOAT...

https://old.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/oapwdi/been_playing_this_game_for_a_long_time_now_never/

This game keeps on giving... People still finding out things about it after all these years.

And of course, there's no shortage of funny moments like this.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/ompaif/my_dumb_ass_cant_play_this_game/

10 hours ago, Chadouken said:

No i haven't tried to non motion controls and to be completely honest...I'm not really interested in trying it out that way.  I enjoyed SS fully when it was on Wii with little to no issues.  I'm glad that there's an alternative option for those who hate motion controls with a passion of a thousand suns but this game was made with the controls fully in mind and I'd rather play it that way.

Sonic saying the joycons work fine with Skyward Sword is all I needed to hear. I was gonna get it anyway but that clinches it. Scooping today. I'm also glad it has the right stick controls cuz like my girl friend has a vine disease that makes it hard for her to move her arms and wrists in ways needed for Skyward Sword so if no one else gives them a shit I will and will report back. I'm interested in then for my gf. 

35 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Sonic saying the joycons work fine with Skyward Sword is all I needed to hear. I was gonna get it anyway but that clinches it. Scooping today. I'm also glad it has the right stick controls cuz like my girl friend has a vine disease that makes it hard for her to move her arms and wrists in ways needed for Skyward Sword so if no one else gives them a shit I will and will report back. I'm interested in then for my gf. 

I did preface it though by saying that I only JUST got the Sword.  I completed  the trial you get once when you get the sword and messed around a little bit and just from the minute or so I felt responsive.  I want to see how I do in actual combat and exploration because I'm wondering if recalibration is going to be annoying or not which I haven't tested yet lol.  It does feel better based off the small time I have though. I intend to play more tonight but I assume you'll probably get more time in the game than I will since I can't play till late cause of my tiny 1 and a half year old of terror lol.  If/When you get it let me know what your thoughts are because I know you are one of the few on here that actually enjoyed SS as much as I did.

Edited by Sonichuman

I’ve been playing skyward sword a little bit more today. I’m trying to play it in short bursts so I can get use to the controls while not get overly frustrated when I get fumble fingers. I just turn off my switch, do something for an hour or so then come back and do it again. 

the sessions are only about 10-20 minutes but each time I’m getting more-and-more use to the control scheme as overly complicated and unintuitive as it still seems to me.

I still find the revised controls to be trash but I’m absolutely not playing with motion controls. So I’m just going to have to power through it. 

that or just abandon the game entirely when I pick up CrisTales tomorrow. 😂 we’ll see

Edited by iStu X

I played for a little while today myself. My girlfriend was picking out a kitten so while she did that and the paper work I played onda table in the reception area. I spent a good 20 minutes in the training hall flipping between motion and stick controls. The stick controls took a minute but the second it clicked they worked great and it just took me realizing they are MG: Revengance controls. You just flick the stick in the arc direction you want and Link swings his sword that way. It's brilliant imo. Jabbing is just using R3 so that's super easy now. For the 360 spin you just left>right>left of vice versa and it comes out. Plunge attack is up>down>up and it works quite well too imo. 

Everything else just feels like a normal Zelda game at that point really it seems. Don't have any tools yet but I imagine it's a standard weapon wheel mechanic since that's what it basically was anyway. 

One thing I noticed is if you hold A then text will scroll about twice as fast which is a nice. Only "annoying" thing about the controls imo is having to hold L to use the 3D camera, but considering it's an addition its still pretty nice regardless and a pretty good compromise to keep the gameplay intact. 

The motion controls also feel great, I agree with Sonic on that so far. Felt like playing on the Wii except unlike the other mode the Right Stick in motion mode is always set to 3D Camera so you don't have to hold L to use it making it a straight upgrade for that control scheme period. 

What is super duper awesome is you can switch between the control methods on the fly and the game won't need to reboot or anything, just slap the joycons on and you're in controller mode. Remove them and it automatically switches to motion mode. Very nice ya. 

The graphics look just phenomenal in HD, huge boon to the games graphic style so far, and that 60fps my god....its so beautiful. 

So far both modes seem extremely playable to me, the controller mode is exactly like sword play on Revengance and the stuff I've seen people do in that game...this will work for most people just fine i think. 

Still preferring the motion controls myself tho. 

Yeah I just came to update after spending another 45 minutes.  I'm taking my time playing it and reabsorbing everything since its been so long since I played the game.  Just got the Goddess Sword and the Green Tunic and had to stop right as I was about to head out.  I always did like the sense of destiny that the previous Zelda games had in the beginning of their games.  BotW still has that but it happens before you even start to play.

More on the motion controls...went through the cave to get to the bird and I figured it would give me plenty of time to adjust and get a real feel for the motion controls in combat and yeah they're definitely more responsive than the Wii motion plus imo.  To the point that I looked in the options to see if it was possible to turn down the sensitivity at all because I was getting swipes when I wasn't intending too  (no...it doesn't have a sensitivity setting unfortunately).  I have a pretty good grasp on what it's asking for now.  You really gotta prepare for the strike calmly before your actual swing to avoid random flailing and that's fine I dig that...just gotta get used to the fact that that's what it's asking for.  Flying the bird with motion controls was perfectly fine too...I'd dare say personally it's better since the joy con is smaller than the wii mote.  I don't know why I can just tilt the controller down alot easier to dive than with the wii mote and I'm pretty sure it's due to the size.  One issue that I did have which I'm sure will be an issue later is that when Zelda pushed me off the statue the calibration was completely off so Link went way off course.  It's a good thing they allow you to try again just recalibrate it and instantly fixes it.  This was something that I think some reviewers were talking about when pull out an item and the calibration is suddenly off and way over to the side.  Just have to remember the recalibrate before doing anything.  Pulling out the Goddess Sword and lifting it up high made me smile, nobody can tell me any dif that it doesn't feel awesome to do that lol.

Edit:

Also as I was playing the game today and they were hitting me with the lore and legend about the surface and the cloud cover and what not it made me reflect more on what this game does mechanically and how it potentially relates to BotW2 and it reminded me...Volt may have a point to something he said earlier in regards to 'why they're releasing this game'.   Reason I say this is people remember Aonuma stated he wanted Skyward Sword to be more open than it was and one of his regrets was not being able to make it so.  I feel like BotW2 might be him trying to fix what he couldn't do the first time.  We'll see how this pans out.

Edited by Sonichuman
6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

One issue that I did have which I'm sure will be an issue later is that when Zelda pushed me off the statue the calibration was completely off so Link went way off course.  It's a good thing they allow you to try again just recalibrate it and instantly fixes it.  This was something that I think some reviewers were talking about when pull out an item and the calibration is suddenly off and way over to the side.  Just have to remember the recalibrate before doing anything. 

You can recalibrate on the fly at any time just by pressing Y.

At any time. Sword, bird... I'm already used to tapping Y every time I pull out the Beetle and Slingshot.

6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Also as I was playing the game today and they were hitting me with the lore and legend about the surface and the cloud cover and what not it made me reflect more on what this game does mechanically and how it potentially relates to BotW2 and it reminded me...Volt may have a point to something he said earlier in regards to 'why they're releasing this game'.   Reason I say this is people remember Aonuma stated he wanted Skyward Sword to be more open than it was and one of his regrets was not being able to make it so.  I feel like BotW2 might be him trying to fix what he couldn't do the first time.  We'll see how this pans out.

I believe that philosophy wound up getting us BotW1.

When you look back at Skyward, you see the foundation of a lot of it, such as the emphasis on the field exploration phase, stamina, critter collection for upgrades...

My point with the thread title was much simpler.

They're releasing Skyward HD and BotW2 is suddenly revealed to have sky exploration?

There's gotta be a connection somewhere...