Stage Select

The Zelda Thread: TOTK officially out May 12th, spoilers out now. Avoid social media if you can.

My wife got me the Link’s Awakening remake on Switch and it’s pretty good so far.

My only complaint is how easy the game is. Practically every non-boss enemy just requires you to block them with your shield and attack when they’re open. I’ve only finished Level 3 though, so hopefully some of the later dungeons have some harder enemies... I’d love to run into characters like the Blue Darknuts or Wizrobes from Zelda 1.

that reminds me; the Wizzrobes were my favorite enemies from Zelda, since the original game...  I'm a fan of wizards and mage types in general (it'susually the first class/archetype I want to play in any rpg kind of thing), so those always stood out as the cool/interesting enemy of the Zelda world.  

I'm still hooked on Age of Calamity at the moment; fortunately I've done nearly everything in the current season of Diablo already, so I've surprisingly had more time to focus on this game.  I enjoy fighting the Wizzrobe in AoC and Breath of the Wild as well, even though this modern version of them looks a bit goofy for my taste.

Rivali is another champion I'm not a big fan of... the design is alright but so far Urbosa is my standout favorite in terms of attacks and abilities.  ...and Impa; her moveset is awesome too

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

My wife got me the Link’s Awakening remake on Switch and it’s pretty good so far.

My only complaint is how easy the game is. Practically every non-boss enemy just requires you to block them with your shield and attack when they’re open. I’ve only finished Level 3 though, so hopefully some of the later dungeons have some harder enemies... I’d love to run into characters like the Blue Darknuts or Wizrobes from Zelda 1.

That reminds me... Haven't played that one yet.

It looks absolutely stunning. I'd give it a shot tonight, but I gotta watch the Golden Stormtrooper Warriors play.

Welp. I think i just ran into Link’s Awakening version of the Darknuts and it’s not even an enemy type, lol, just a moving statue (combining two enemy types from Zelda 1) that you can’t kill.. Hopefully I’m wrong, but the enemies in this game are lacklustre compared to Zelda 1. There’s no one that really gives you a hard time. Hell, in Zelda 1, I saved a state in a room with a bunch of Blue Darknuts with low health, so I could lab it, and had to do it over and over for a few hours to clear the room “often” not even consistently lol.

It is a beautiful game, and the dungeons have better puzzles, as do the bosses, but i just wish some of the enemies tested your skill a bit.

i just finished level 5 so hopefully the last few levels give me something that is more of a challenge.

fwiw, there is a harder mode that i think it raises enemy health and makes hearts less plentiful..which would help, but I still feel like the game wouldn't be challenging enough for my tastes.

All the difficulty (and game data lol) went into the Eagles Tower and Turtle Rock dungeons. Not that the enemies are hard but they’re the games big “brain teaser” temples, for sure. 

Fighting the final boss can be hard since every form has a different weakness. 

I absolutely adore Links Awakening. i have a lot of wonderful memories with the DX version for GBC. I legit cried tears of joy when I saw the remakes debut trailer during the direct. 

It might honestly be my favorite game of all time. If not probably Top 3 for sure. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

All the difficulty (and game data lol) went into the Eagles Tower and Turtle Rock dungeons. Not that the enemies are hard but they’re the games big “brain teaser” temples, for sure. 

Fighting the final boss can be hard since every form has a different weakness. 

I absolutely adore Links Awakening. i have a lot of wonderful memories with the DX version for GBC. I legit cried tears of joy when I saw the remakes debut trailer during the direct. 

It might honestly be my favorite game of all time. If not probably Top 3 for sure. 

I will say since reading @RSG3‘s comment, i went on to level 6 and started appreciating the game more. It is a well-made game and i still have a lot of secrets to find/figure out.

I’ll definitely run it through on hero mode eventually though. 

5 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Welp. I think i just ran into Link’s Awakening version of the Darknuts and it’s not even an enemy type, lol, just a moving statue (combining two enemy types from Zelda 1) that you can’t kill.. Hopefully I’m wrong, but the enemies in this game are lacklustre compared to Zelda 1. There’s no one that really gives you a hard time. Hell, in Zelda 1, I saved a state in a room with a bunch of Blue Darknuts with low health, so I could lab it, and had to do it over and over for a few hours to clear the room “often” not even consistently lol.

Make sure to do the trade sequence quest. The reward is worth it 

5 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

fwiw, there is a harder mode that i think it raises enemy health and makes hearts less plentiful..which would help, but I still feel like the game wouldn't be challenging enough for my tastes.

Hero Mode for Links Awakening is you’re stuck at default hearts the full game, if you choose to revive after death it’ll only give you one heart (iirc, may be less) and all enemies hit for double. 

Edited by iStu X
13 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

It is a beautiful game, and the dungeons have better puzzles, as do the bosses, but i just wish some of the enemies tested your skill a bit.

i just finished level 5 so hopefully the last few levels give me something that is more of a challenge.

They made the Darknuts into Armos clones?

Ya really hate to see it...

Wait, if they're from Link's dream... Does that mean that he perceives them as so weak they might be moving statues?

The disrespect! 🤣

The puzzles in the latter half of this game are great. I was stuck on Level 7 (Eagle’s Tower) for a good couple of hours. Actually had to walk away from it before the solution came to me.... Of course, a few minutes later, I stumbled on an early eagle statue i forgot to go back to and he told me the answer i just thought of, lol, but it had me stumped for a while. Even with that knowledge though, the level is very tricky. I liked it a lot.

now i’m stuck on level 8 and taking a break. I cant be playing this all day (though id like to lol)

Any of you guys know if there are any heart pieces or seashells in the last level (level 9/the egg, etc)?

finished level 8 and would like like to collect all the last heart pieces and seashells before going to the last level, and would hate to waste a bunch of time looking for that last piece, only to find out it was in the last level all along.

edit: also, wondering if there are any tools you get in the last level that you need in order to reach some of the pieces on the rest of the island as well. Thanks.

Edited by Mattatsu
9 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Any of you guys know if there are any heart pieces or seashells in the last level (level 9/the egg, etc)?

finished level 8 and would like like to collect all the last heart pieces and seashells before going to the last level, and would hate to waste a bunch of time looking for that last piece, only to find out it was in the last level all along.

edit: also, wondering if there are any tools you get in the last level that you need in order to reach some of these pieces as well. Thanks.

No idea. Planning on playing it relatively blind eventually.

On the other hand, I know about this:

https://zeldamaps.com/?game=LA

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/maps/la/

As spoiler-free as it gets and you can filter out what you want. They're pretty much the same map, just posting both so you can pick the one that you find more appealing.

Edit: The Zelda Maps version does seem to have dungeon maps, though I suspect you're not interested in that. For obvious reasons, I didn't open them, so dunno how well detailed they are.

Edited by Volt

Thanks Volt.

I didn’t click on them as I suspect it shows you the sea shell and heart piece locations, which i don't want. I want to find them on my own, i just want to know if there are any in the last dungeon, so i dont run around forever on the island/overworld looking for an item that i cannot find there

Actually, on second thought, I will use the map of the last dungeon, just to quickly skim it for these pieces.

Just now, Mattatsu said:

Thanks Volt.

I didn’t click on them as I suspect it shows you the sea shell and heart piece locations, which i don't want. I want to find them on my own, i just want to know if there are any in the last dungeon, so i dont run around forever on the island/overworld looking for an item that i cannot find there

Actually, on second thought, I will use the map of the last dungeon, just to quickly skim it for these pieces.

Don't do that. Check everything else instead.

It's better to head into a dungeon blind than fumbling around the overworld tryna find HPs and Seashells.

On 12/29/2020 at 6:49 PM, Mattatsu said:

My only complaint is how easy the game is.

Meanwhile, the 2nd Dungeon's mini-boss...

spacer.png

I low key wasn't expecting this dude to have Gief's EX SPD range plus armor. 🤣

the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-18.j

And I even thought it couldn't snatch me if I was mid-air. Terrible idea in hindsight. 🤣

This game is freaking adorable.

I scoured the map looking for the last of the seashells and heart pieces and came up short. I looked up what you get for collecting all of the seashells, and I’m not going to bother getting all 50. I got the reward for 40 seashells though and that’s all i wanted.

i’m going to have to check maps for these last three heart pieces though.

Edited by Mattatsu
23 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

edit: also, wondering if there are any tools you get in the last level that you need in order to reach some of the pieces on the rest of the island as well. Thanks.

Uh, you’ll need to find all the seashells to get every heart. Dampe’s dungeon creator gives you several heart containers. probably some of the ones you’re missing. 

also level 9 isn’t really a dungeon. 

Edited by iStu X

I've been playing a bit more AoC now that I've cut way back on my Cyberpunk play time. Damn this game is fun. I like how they fleshed out the characters. Honestly what impresses me most so far is how fun Link is to play and how low key bad ass they made him. Using Link me's be believe this is the dude that keeps getting re-incarnated to hand Ganon Ls. I never understood WTF Ganon had to be salty about anyway. "Woe is me . I'm born into a race beautiful women that can throw hands. I'm literally the only man around for each generation." How are you salty about being born into what is basically Themyscira? 

All this love for Links Awakening is making me want to hope back on my file so I can wrap up my file and make it 100%. 

The only thing I need to do is also my least favorite thing to do which is the chamber dungeons. I need to earn about 4K to get the rest of the chamber tiles. The quickest way to do that is by making building free-style dungeons dampe gives you since clearing each one more-or-less gives you the amount of money you need to buy the last tiles 

36 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I've been playing a bit more AoC now that I've cut way back on my Cyberpunk play time. Damn this game is fun. I like how they fleshed out the characters. Honestly what impresses me most so far is how fun Link is to play and how low key bad ass they made him. Using Link me's be believe this is the dude that keeps getting re-incarnated to hand Ganon Ls. I never understood WTF Ganon had to be salty about anyway. "Woe is me . I'm born into a race beautiful women that can throw hands. I'm literally the only man around for each generation." How are you salty about being born into what is basically Themyscira? 

According to Wind Waker, Ganondorf is salty because he gotta live in this dry dry desert, which makes it hard to drown in pussy since literally nothing can get wet in that scorching hellhole.

Though according to Skyward Sword, Ganon is literally the embodiment of salt, so take that as you will. 🤣

Just now, Volt said:

According to Wind Waker, Ganondorf is salty because he gotta live in this dry dry desert, which makes it hard to drown in pussy since literally nothing can get wet in that scorching hellhole.

Though according to Skyward Sword, Ganon is literally the embodiment of salt, so take that as you will. 🤣

Get a Trade Treatly for water with going Zora's Domain. Damn, dude is salty and dumb ass fuck 🤣

On 1/1/2021 at 7:42 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

The thing about Ganondorf is that he has this this demonic entity in his subconscious from 1000's of years ago telling him to go and fuck shit up.  So depending on whatever timeline we're in it's a combination of that and whatever other ambition he has. 

Edited by Sonichuman
2 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I never did finish Link Between Worlds despite really liking that game. Think I'm gonna start a new file and finally beat it since my Switch still isn't fixed yet.

It’s a great game. Not only did it release on ya boi’s birthday but it’s also just a genuinely fun Zelda title. I wouldn’t put it my top 5 Zelda’s or anything but it’s still a great title. 

Edited by iStu X

On my way to the 4th dungeon.

Got the Ocarina, figured out that I could learn that song from Marin, explored a bit, got to the desert entrance... And this fat sleeping walrus wants to hear that song to wake up. Convenient.

Played it. Fatty won't wake up. Figured I needed something louder, maybe Marin needs to sing it too...

Chick got kidnapped. No one has a clue of where she's gone.

spacer.png

Bonus: One dude literally said "I'll be lost in the mountains later!"

Lo and behold, his wife said he's lost in the mountains. Dude kept his word.

I think this game is trolling me. 🤣

Nice, the last boss was pretty tough. This game was great. Very beautiful and well-made.

I went back to mess around with dante’s chamber dungeons and realized it kept times of your runs, which is cool. I didn’t see the point of them before, but i always like things where i can beat my time so i may just try to get the last of these seashells amd make a really large and tough dungeon and try to see what the best time i can get is... Though, if I’m being honest, I’d rather spend that time trying to beat zelda 1 as fast as i can, even if i have to manually time it.

i do have to look up where this game falls in the zelda timeline... the ending made me curious what happens next.

Edited by Mattatsu
3 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

i do have to look up where this game falls in the zelda timeline... the ending made me curious what happens next.

I *might* be misremembering it, but iirc that segment of the Downfall timeline goes ALttP > OoS > OoA > LA. No direct continuation with this Link, I think.

56 minutes ago, Volt said:

I *might* be misremembering it, but iirc that segment of the Downfall timeline goes ALttP > OoS > OoA > LA. No direct continuation with this Link, I think.

Actually IIRC ALttP Link is the one that goes through all 4 of those games.  At first the timeline was ALttP > LA. And then the oracle games got put inbetween the period between those 2.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Had to recheck and I had it backwards.  The Oracle games WERE between ALttP and LA but then got shifted to be behind LA so now its unknown if its the same Link or not.

58 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

The Oracle games WERE between ALttP and LA but then got shifted to be behind LA

What the...

OoX linked endings make no sense *after* LA.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Nintendo try to fit a peg in a square hole tho. What's the source you checked?

2 hours ago, Volt said:

Wouldn't surprise me to see Nintendo try to fit a peg in a square hole tho

Considering that’s what Nintendo did to get fans to stfu via Historia, yeah. It really is that way. You’re trying to road map something Miyamoto and Aonuma (you know, the creator and lead producer respectively) have said multiple times doesn’t exist. 

Edited by iStu X