Stage Select

The Zelda Thread: TOTK officially out May 12th, spoilers out now. Avoid social media if you can.

I’m curious how crazy you’ll be able to get with the fuse mechanic. Also found it interesting how I bet they won’t have the traditional elemental arrows. I’m betting using the leaf on the arrow could be strong if you can push enemies off the islands in the sky. I hope recall works on enemies too. That could set up lots of interesting interactions. There is just so much stuff in this game, it’s going to be an amazing world to explore. 

Edited by JGreen
  • 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, JGreen said:

Loved that trailer! I'm so glad I took some time off for it. I have a feeling I'll be playing it non stop. It also looks like dungeons are back.

I'm getting the feeling that there's something very dungeon like in this game but we don't know if it's going to be closer to traditional more involved previous dungeons or shorter stuff a la the divine beasts.  Still no direct evidence but looking at some of the environments that Link is running and diving through....looks like it definitely feels like it.  We may not really find out until the games release.

Edited by Sonichuman
Just now, Chadouken said:

Can't watch vids right now. What are they saying about performance?

I haven't been able to watch all of them.  I watched RGT's vid that kind of gave an over of some of the previews out there and in his vid he did point out that the game so far does have some performance issues seemingly when there's a bunch of people on screen or if there's a bunch of people with alpha effects similar to the Lost Woods/Korok forest in BotW.  I'm watching one of the GX vids right now and there's a section of the vid where he's fighting a bunch of moblins and decided he was going to end his playthrough by blowing himself up with by fusing a spear with a bomb flower and there didn't seem to be any slow down in the video with all of them.  Most of the video is 30fps for the gameplay.  If you want to see the video in question:

I don't doubt there there's probably gonna be some slow down in some other areas cause BotW had it a lil bit here and there at launch with Korok Forest being the most egregious.  It'll likely mostly be smooth with some rough areas that might get patched to smooth out.  I'm sure DF will do a whole dive in on the game and probably do comparison on the vid to BotW's performance in the game releases.

Been thinking....We have not seen any Gaurdians at all in any of the footage as far as I can tell/remember.  Did they get deactivated?  Is there potentially something worse out there roaming and patrolling Hyrule fields (other than Lynels of course)?

Edit:  I just had another terrifying thought....We're gonna run into Lynels with fused weapons aren't we?

Edited by Sonichuman

I beat BotW while only completing the Gerudo Divine Beast. I was on a quest to find the Master Sword and Shield and walked into Ganon's holdout. I thought there would be a warning . . . NOPE! 

Had to fight all the remaining Calamity Ganons in a gauntlet and then to the remaining forms. It's one of the few times where I beat the game and didn't want to go back to finish it. 

I consider beating BotW in totality a personal prerequisite for TotK.

Edited by OPTIMUS124
5 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I beat BotW while only completing the Gerudo Divine Beast. I was on a quest to find the Master Sword and Shield and walked into Ganon's holdout. I thought there would be a warning . . . NOPE! 

Had to fight all the remaining Calamity Ganons in a gauntlet and then to the remaining forms. It's one of the few times where I beat the game and didn't want to go back to and finish it. 

I consider beating BotW in totality a personal prerequisite for TotK.

I found all 120 Shrines last year without a guide. I feel ready. 

4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

That last clip man...that's unfair lol. 

It's almost gonna be like the equivalent of a Stormtroopers shooting at Jedis.  If any Moblins even think about picking up any explosive barrels, I'm returning it to sender.

Edit:

Almost forgot.  This showed up in my feed.

Whole big ass concert dedicated to BotW's music.  Time stamps in the description.

Edited by Sonichuman

@SonichumanI appreciate the work you've been doing with all the news in the thread.

Sorry for not updating anything everyone, I was dodging spoilers like crazy, I hadn't even seen Ganondorf until I scrolled up now. 

Only 4 days until the official release. Obviously, you know the game is already out on the streets, so be careful about spoilers.

With that said... I've seen some footage because I couldn't wait to see if they did bring back in dungeons or not. No story spoilers.

Spoiler

Yes, and no. The first dungeon is very similar to a Divine Beast with better presentation and more importantly, enemies. It's not a bigger shrine like the BotW dungeons, but it's still NOWHERE close to the old ones. If you consider a certain thing part of it, it drives the presentation up even more. Just iconic. Boss was a return to form.

As for the story, lore, NPC dialogue and all that stuff that breathes life into a game... I don't know how much y'all know off the trailers. I didn't watch them. Here's a no-context one tho.

MJ_Grin_Pawg_lit.gif

I'll explain it when the game releases, I've only watched until the first major objective anyway, so it's early and irrelevant enough to not be a bother anyway. 🤣

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

This game and the fuckin detail they put into it

We are still finding out shit we didn't know about.

The whole quests with his family were sad af. The good thing about this being a sequel is that hopefully, they'll show up, right? BotW was the closest Zelda to Majora's Mask when it came to fleshing out NPCs.

• Volt changed the title to The Zelda Thread: TOTK officially out May 12th, spoilers out now. Avoid social media if you can.

I really like how they made shields more important in this game, even though...

Spoiler

I'll have to actually get more Korok seeds for them now. Oooooof.

Sticking a rock to one of them gives you a nice hammer to break ore deposits with if you do the parry motion.

I do hate how they nerfed ore values in this game tho. I guess running the fade on Stone Tali for money isn't the best way to grind for drip anymore.

17 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

If you don't have wood, fire arrows, red chuchu jelly or anything obvious....you can start a fire using a mineral deposit and an arrow

This game is 6 years old, the sequel is about to launch, and people are STILL finding new tech on it.

20 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I'm so so sooooo glad the Koroks are back. I'm not even joking either. 

They were just a great reward for exploration in BotW because slots are so important.

I definitely didn't have the patience to actually hunt them all down tho, but on a blind run, they're great. 🤣

Yea i never found them all, just enough to have almost all the equipment slots.

But yea I love finding the Koroks and i look forward to what new enviromental puzzles Nintendos made, and lifting every random rock and climbing every random tree to find something. Its gonna be wonderful lol.

Edited by RSG3

Koroks were definitely an important part of the exploration and the fact that its not forced on you just makes it even better.  Just naturally roaming and exploring the area will cause you to naturally find them.  TotK bringing them back along with whatever else they may have in the open world is gonna make my ADD go into overload again. 

I'm officially in hype overload now.  Just had a whole ass dream about this game last night.  I haven't had a dream about an upcoming game in a long ass time.

Ask Developer Interviews for TotK

Part 1

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-9-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-part-1/

Part 2

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-9-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-part-2/

Edit:  Apparently TotK is going to make reference to "The Imprisoning War" which I don't think has been mentioned since ALttP IIRC?

Edited by Sonichuman
48 minutes ago, Volt said:

I might as well ask at this point.

What will be the spoiler policy for TotK? Story-only? Gameplay too? How many weeks?

TotK is probably gonna be a big ass game to playthrough for most.  People are gonna want to be able to figure things out on their own unless they ask.  Personally, I'd probably spoiler story related discussion between 2-3 months.  Gameplay is prob more case by case.  If you come up with some crazy ass tech or cook something useful or built something crazy...don't think anyone would care too much.  Solutions to puzzles or something that clearly would be a nice surprise when people first come across it...probably not so much.