Stage Select

The Zelda Thread: TOTK officially out May 12th, spoilers out now. Avoid social media if you can.

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I actually bookmarked this vid this afternoon because I had to go to work and couldn't watch it.

It sounds fascinating. Honestly, the biggest issue of TotK might be having this foundation to work with. Like damn, what else can you do to follow up THIS game?

TotK Ask the Dev Part 3

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-9-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-part-3/

We've only discussed the skies, but this title has its dungeons too, right?

Fujibayashi: Yes, we haven't talked about the dungeons yet. They've changed from the previous game. For example, there is a dungeon that connects directly from Hyrule's surface. If you dive from the sky straight into the dungeon, you'll trigger an event. We think this will be a new experience that wasn't possible in the previous game.

Dohta: We’ve made dungeons unique to their respective environments, so we think you’ll be able to enjoy the wide variety of regional characteristics.

Takizawa: Making a "wide variety" was pretty challenging. The four Divine Beasts were the dungeons in the last game, and they shared similar designs. This time, the dungeons are huge and each carry their own regional look and feel, just like traditional The Legend of Zelda games. We think they will provide a satisfying challenge for players. They were certainly a challenge to develop! (Laughs)

Happy Chris Pratt GIF by Parks and Recreation

Edited by Sonichuman
1 minute ago, TheInfernoman said:

Sooo a return to just dungeons? No shrines at all? I haven't been following much news just to go in without any expectations 

Seems to be something of a mix of both. The Sky Islands have the flavor of shrines about them from what I can gather, but there are apparantly deffintily Dungeon like biomes to traverse with unique looks and bosses at the end. 

1 minute ago, Chadouken said:

Dang, looks like it performs better than BotW. That's impressive considering the hardware.

Not really. BotW was released for the Wii U too.

They had time to optimize TotK to the Switch and work out the issues they had in BotW.

6 minutes ago, Volt said:

Not really. BotW was released for the Wii U too.

They had time to optimize TotK to the Switch and work out the issues they had in BotW.

What I mean is, there are a lot of AAA games coming out right now that run like complete shit on much better hardware. 

It's impressive that a game of this magnitude runs so well on such old and weak hardware, comparatively. Kudos to the developers for optimizing it. This is how it should be.

Edited by Chadouken
12 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

What I mean is, there are a lot of AAA games coming out right now that run like complete shit on much better hardware. 

It's impressive that a game of this magnitude runs so well on such old and weak hardware, comparatively. Kudos to the developers for optimizing it. This is how it should be.

Oh yeah, definitely.

Fuck my ass for having such a huge backlog right now. Gotta finish RE4, start Jedi, Horizon DLC, Dadnarok new game+, and a new goddamn season of Destiny in less than two weeks that looks really fucking cool. 

I might go by Best Buy tomorrow just to look and see if any loose copies are available anyway.

Just now, Sonichuman said:

Nintendo showing again their tech wizardry.  I think I heard this game is like 16 gigs?  This game has all this shit in it with all the systems interacting and its 16 gigs.  For comparison, BotW is 15.7 gigs

That's insane.  It's amazing how artistic fidelity more than makes up for graphical prowess  and yet we keep getting these hot messes because the industry would rather push graphics over performance. 

Anyway, I'm starting to get really hype for Zelda now. I was planning on waiting a bit to pick it up but I don't know if I can do that. Watch me go buy a fucking OLED now 😂

Ask the Dev Part 4

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-9-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-part-4/

Ask the Dev Part 5

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-9-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-part-5/

You mentioned that you worked on this game from the perspective of enabling players to do exactly what they think they can do. I recall players of the previous title playing in lots of different ways. Do you ever watch fan-made gameplay videos?

Aonuma: There was some talk about them among the development team. The direction of giving players the freedom to do anything in this game came about precisely because of the reactions of people who played the last game.

Takizawa: Even though it's been six years since the last title was released, many fans still post drawings, comments and videos on social media. Especially when the team is facing difficulties during development, these things light up the eyes of our staff and make them think, “Alright, let's show 'em what we've got!” I really want to thank all our fans.

Fujibayashi: I totally agree. Our fans have motivated us so much in the development of this game. Thank you so much!

Edited by Sonichuman

So much footage out there now...I'm trying SOOOO...HARD...not to watch too much.  GI's review was pretty good at talking about the game without going too far into stuff about the game and I had to cut IGN's off about halfway. I think they'res probably went a bit too far and also what they wwas showing was making this wait even more unbearable lol.  I'm pretty sure this Treehouse stream won't help either.

Edit:

Apparently Xbox fans are having a go at Nintendo fans right now because of Redfall getting shit on for 30fps and Zelda getting all this praise while running at 30 fps which is quite hilarious.

Edit 2:  Oh shit Nintendo took over that big ass 3D monitor in Times Square?  They really going all out for the marketing at the very last minute for this game.  Wonder how much money they paid to take that over lol.

Edit 3:  This game is gonna be so god damn amazing to play lmao.  I can't wait for the videos that people are going to put out once this game has been unleashed officially tomorrow.

Edited by Sonichuman
2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Yea, Cuz Redfalls biggest issue is that it runs at 30fps 🤪

Fuckin clowns. 

I don't understand why they can't understand the difference here.  Switch has been out for 6 years+ and when it got released it was already just behind the curve of the past gen systems.  So when Nintendo puts out the sequel to one of the biggest open world games in the industry and not only manages to put more shit to do in said game while making it more dynamic and vast while just managing to keep the game running at 30 fps with all these systems interacting with each other ON A 16 GB CARTRIDGE...then yeah...thats absolutely an amazing feat.  Compared to a first person shooter game that isn't as open and doesn't nearly have as many systems interacting with each other on the most powerful console of the current gen that takes up 95 to 86 gigs of space and thats CURRENTLY...WITHOUT UPCOMING PATCHES.  This really shouldn't even be a conversation or an argument.

Edited by Sonichuman
2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I’m glad Nintendo didn’t skimp on the CE’s for this game. We all know how notorious they can be for short printing their CE’s

They must have really high expectations for this title and considering how BOTW sold, they are probably justified.