Stage Select

The Metal Thread

24 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Another one @Emptyeyesmight like, heard this on Liquid Metal on the way to the office this afternoon.

What do you get when you cross System of a Down with No Doubt?  

This is definitely something I identify with. The insanity and lack of universal direction of the world, you can't help but to be a bystander or a victim of it. Thankfully, all things must pass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

I've been talking about the Hellrasier series with someone and he showed me this.  I keep forgetting that Motorhead had that Hair Metal sound for a little bit before Triple H re-introduced them with their more traditional crunchy riffs.  

I'm not too versed in Motorhead, but yeah that's hair metal-ish all right. If you like Motorhead check out Omega, Greek band with Motorhead, early Venom, Bathory, Hellhammer influences

bonus

Funny story, Speedwolf  broke up, the vocalist formed a new band called Overdose. They toured with Lucifer like two years ago.  They came to my city to play. I think people liked them, but some people were chanting "Motorhead" after their songs because they sound very influenced by Motorhead. The vocalist had enough and said something along the lines of  "you know, there's like a thousand bands like Darkthrone and nobody says anything" lol.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Overdose/3540470633

12 minutes ago, Emptyeyes said:

This topic has become primary for me, above all else here. I'll lurk periodically in the forums to see of any other metal bands I can subscribe to on my channel.

You're definitely gonna find a lot of different tastes here, I enjoy what people submit as well.  There's two channels on SiriusXM I listen to the most, one is Liquid Metal where you'll find a lot of stuff that Aries and Hecatom will post, then there's Turbo which is a lot of what you posted when you first got here.  I usually alternate between the two depending how I feel, lately I've been on Turbo more than Liquid Metal.

Here's how I'm feeling lately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@AbbachioI think you'll like this band. Got a dirty, black/thrash sound. Pretty good first output for a one-man band, I think. Let me know what you think

@Camachonot sure if this is your kind of death metal, but I think you may like it. Very chaotic at parts. Cosmic horror kinda vibe.

@Skort speaking of Dio, check out this Holy Diver cover. The vocalist is pretty good, but she was probably already tired. But she pulls those high notes nicely at the end.

Edited by AriesWarlock
59 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

@Skort speaking of Dio, check out this Holy Diver cover. The vocalist is pretty good, but she was probably already tired. But she pulls those high notes nicely at the end.

I like to imagine this is what Juri does in her spare time.

sample-04063091a8d66f6033a5a67f9d6d5110.

Edited by Skort
49 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Good vocalist, In liked Language of Creation the most out of those two.

These guys are going to be doing some shows with Narcotic Wasteland in the fall, pretty stoked to see them live. 

They are pretty brutal. Didn't know them. I just checked them out on Metal Archives. One of the guys is an ex-Origin member. I remember hearing of them like a decade ago lol.

17 minutes ago, Skort said:

I like to imagine this is what Juri does in her spare time.

sample-04063091a8d66f6033a5a67f9d6d5110.

So do I. Maybe you can recreate a scene with your new Unreal Engine skills.

• 3 weeks later...

Been working out more lately so metal is usually one of my go-tos at the gym. Been trying to get into these bands but vocalists are what make or break my interest a lot of time

I'll probably get shit for this one but I don't care. I think these guys were a great band and Ville Valo is a great songwriter: 

The Blue Ridge Festival is next week, I'll be there Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Here's the setlist.  Limp Bizkit cancelled a couple of weeks ago and they'll be replaced by the Offspring.  I'm MAD hype to finally see the Offspring in person as I've always preferred them over Green Day.  Their influence in bringing thrash-tempo riffs to the punk mainstream is extremely underrated because people only know them for their joke songs like Pretty Fly.  Their ECW era stuff like Gone Away, All I Want (Cah-RAZY Taxi!) and Genocide is amazing.

spacer.png

Edited by Psychoblue
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Been working out more lately so metal is usually one of my go-tos at the gym. Been trying to get into these bands but vocalists are what make or break my interest a lot of time

What are you looking for? You are liking Cradle of Filth? I thought beyond Black Sabbath was not your thing. Yeah, the singer is not great. I used to like them years ago and somehow  the vocals didn't bother me then lol.

A similar band with better vocals that you might like is Serpent Sermon

If you are wanting to get pumped up at the gym Napalm Death should do it

Saint Vitus is one of those bands I see mentioned but never bothered to check. That song was cool.

Let's see what else...

Oh.. H.I.M.? :coffee:

lol Coincidentally, members of HIM have/had a side project that plays the "Stoner Rock (early); Melodic Black/Gothic Metal (later)". The genres you like?

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Daniel_Lioneye/

49 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

What are you looking for? You are liking Cradle of Filth? I thought beyond Black Sabbath was not your thing. Yeah, the singer is not great. I used to like them years ago and somehow  the vocals didn't bother me then lol.

A similar band with better vocals that you might like is Serpent Sermon

If you are wanting to get pumped up at the gym Napalm Death should do it

Saint Vitus is one of those bands I see mentioned but never bothered to check. That song was cool.

Let's see what else...

lol Coincidentally, members of HIM have/had a side project that plays the "Stoner Rock (early); Melodic Black/Gothic Metal (later)". The genres you like?

I love metal, I spent my formative years listening to a lot of it.  I regularly listen to Pantera, CoC, Slayer, Megadeth, NWOBHM stuff, etc. Metal is actually one of the few genres that I actually want to hear the lyrics and it's annoying when I can't understand what they're saying. Instrumentally just about any metal is good metal for me, but it's usually the quality of the singer that makes me decide whether or not I'll keep listening to them. Cradle of Filth is an awesome band, I just don't care for Dani Filth's voice but I only have listened to Nymphetamine and From The Cradle To Enslave and while I liked both of them to some degree, his voice is an acquired taste. I feel the same about Eyehategod. Love the instruments, but the vocals I'd probably need to listen more to be able to like it. Because if I can't understand what they're saying and there's little to no melody, it's just some fucker screaming over a band. I'll check out those bands you mentioned tho, I always like hearing new metal and I miss going to metal shows. They're some of the most fun shows I've ever been to and the fanbase for most bands is really great. 

RE HIM, I know I know. But their songs are really great and while they're the lighter side of metal, they still incorporate a lot of the elements heavier bands do, but their songs appeal to the songwriter in me because a lot of them could stand up if they were played just voice and acoustic guitar. I don't think you could really make that case for most metal bands and while I don't think it's even the point, I like that about them. The imagery is cool too. 

I really like this band too: 

EDIT: Btw @Camachowhat kind of band are you in? What do you play? Got any links to your stuff?

Edited by DoctaMario
8 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I love metal, I spent my formative years listening to a lot of it.  I regularly listen to Pantera, CoC, Slayer, Megadeth, NWOBHM stuff, etc. Metal is actually one of the few genres that I actually want to hear the lyrics and it's annoying when I can't understand what they're saying.

Most genres of extreme metal use gutturals or growls. if you want to get around that I would recommend reading the lyrics or searching on youtube for albums with the lyrics. Maybe you'll learn to not let it bother you with time.

From CoF, I always liked Lord Abortion. Dani Filth has always had talent for using old English in a poetic way to describe a sick and demented world

You mentioned thrash bands.

This album is like part 2 of Slayer's Show no Mercy:

Lately the new wave of thrash bands suck, imo. They sound too much like new Exodus all the way to the vocals. But there's always a few that are good. Check them out

7 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Most genres of extreme metal use gutturals or growls. if you want to get around that I would recommend reading the lyrics or searching on youtube for albums with the lyrics. Maybe you'll learn to not let it bother you with time.

From CoF, I always liked Lord Abortion. Dani Filth has always had talent for using old English in a poetic way to describe a sick and demented world

You mentioned thrash bands.

This album is like part 2 of Slayer's Show no Mercy:

Lately the new wave of thrash bands suck, imo. They sound too much like new Exodus all the way to the vocals. But there's always a few that are good. Check them out

I guess that's what annoys me about Dani Filth's singing is that his lyrics are really good, and they're more understandable in some of their songs than others. Anyway I'll check out those bands you mentioned. The last metal show I went to was interesting because it seemed like each band was either very Metallica/NWOBHM influenced or very Pantera influenced. It was Overkill, Crowbar, and a bunch of opening bands, some of whom were pretty cool. 

3 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Wow haven't heard that name since freshman year of college.  

Let me check em out!

Sounds like some Indyrific entrance music with a weird Shadows of the Damned vibe.

Edited by Psychoblue

@DoctaMarioIt's death metal, I'm into stuff like Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Immolation, Nile, Vader, etc. Band is on ice at the moment, I've lost interest in finishing things and getting the band running again for a few reasons. I've got 3 songs here, only one has vocals recorded- there are lyrics posted for that one (Arbiters of Reality) if you're interested. https://indespise.bandcamp.com/

1 hour ago, Camacho said:

@DoctaMarioIt's death metal, I'm into stuff like Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Immolation, Nile, Vader, etc. Band is on ice at the moment, I've lost interest in finishing things and getting the band running again for a few reasons. I've got 3 songs here, only one has vocals recorded- there are lyrics posted for that one (Arbiters of Reality) if you're interested. https://indespise.bandcamp.com/

Definitely gonna check this out, thanks for the link! 

57 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Not that I think about it, @DoctaMario is a music producer. If you don't have a producer he could produce your next album.

I've made some metal stuff for a game I did sound design for. It was fun, made me get into practicing guitar again. Sounds to me like Camacho might have band dynamic stuff going on but that could be a fun project if he ever decides he's trying to make something that might require production. 

On 9/13/2021 at 5:48 PM, Camacho said:

I've seen inferi live a couple times, phenomenal musicians. It's like Yngwie Malmsteen death metal.

Something i love about Inferi is that they don't forgo melody, something that shoos me away of many technical bands is the lack of melodies on their songs in favor of being technical, which by itself, it can be a turnoff for me.

There is but one last bastion of man
To be seized
Surrender or bleed
What began as a covert campaign
Ends with soil
Soaked with crimson
Rain from the slain
Their deaths were in vain
Their bane, my disdain

Infiltration
Ruination, deprivation
Outright annexation