Stage Select

The Metal Thread

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

@Mattatsuyou mentioned you like some thrash metal like Metallica. Check out Uncle Slam. An underground classic that got remastered not long ago. Songs are not long but have a good amount of aggression and tempo changes.

https://tribunalrecords.bandcamp.com/album/say-uncle

Aggression and tempo changes sounds right up my alley. I can’t listen right now (late here) but will check it out tomorrow. Thanks man!

On 10/31/2021 at 10:58 AM, Abbachio said:

Cradle of Filth have been going so fucking hard since Hammer of the Witches, new album is a banger

I didn't peg you as a CoF fan. Most people who like more extreme black metal stuff have an aversion to CoF. That Antichrist Siege Machine sounds great. Gonna have to check them out

Maybe you'll like DödsÄngel, one-woman side project

DödsÄngel fuses black metal with crust in a
striking manner. Her inspirations for this project
are Wolfpack, Skitsystem, Darkthrone, Horna i.a.

293779_299517676829271_1156030566_n.jpg?

404298_299517493495956_20586905_n.jpg?_n

25 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

@AriesWarlockCradle, along with Dimmu Borgir, were my gateway into Black Metal as a teen, then I picked up Transylvanian Hunger on a whim when I was 15. Now Black Metal is pretty much all I listen to lol.

I'm liking this DodsAngel

CoF and Dimmu Borgir were my gateway to it as well though I can't get into Norwegian black metal. I've tried but it just doesn't click with me. I did liked a bit of Immortal's Sons of Northern Darkness. I do like first wave black metal and other branches like black/thrash, black/speed.

I do like this song some friends showed me by Carpathian Forest

I stopped following CoF after Nymphetamine. I saw Dimmu Borgir live when they released that album Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. They were awesome. They closed the show with Mourning Palace, the first song of theirs I ever listened to. They played their final song and left the scenario. People were shouting "one more" and they came back to play Mourning Palace. Couldn't believe that's not a mainstay on their setlists 😆 whic

There was another band back then that I liked called Old Man's Child, named along Cof and Dimmu.

I do mean to check out either Darkthrone or Mayhem. I hear people saying their newest stuff is more of a death/black/thrash mix.

I'd say Darkthrone lean more towards a Black/Heavy Metal style now days with some Speed/Punk inlfuences, real old-school type riffs, they're still great. With Mayhem it took me a long time to get into them, specifically with the DMDS album, Wolfs Lair Abyss EP is great and check out their stuff after The Grand Declaration of War as that might be more up your alley. You may enjoy the Finnish scene, lots of speedy riffing there.

I love me some  Carpathian Forest, especially the track It's Darker Than You Think, the tongue in cheek attitude honestly sells it for me

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 5:17 PM, Abbachio said:

I'd say Darkthrone lean more towards a Black/Heavy Metal style now days with some Speed/Punk inlfuences, real old-school type riffs, they're still great. With Mayhem it took me a long time to get into them, specifically with the DMDS album, Wolfs Lair Abyss EP is great and check out their stuff after The Grand Declaration of War as that might be more up your alley. You may enjoy the Finnish scene, lots of speedy riffing there.

I am checking out Daemon by Mayhem and I am liking it. Eternal Hails by Darkthrone sounds pretty cool, definitely has an old school sound, I like it.

@Camachoyou know Massacre, right?

I don't know if you like them, but their new album is pretty good. Sick atmosphere, killer riffs, heavy passages. It's good to get that old school Floridian death metal sound. Songs don't overstay their welcome. I was listening to it in my vehicle today for the first time. I think it's a good album, a good follow-up twenty one years later to From Beyond.

https://www.metalunderground.com/interviews/details.cfm?newsid=151487

@Crucades post metal here!

Edited by AriesWarlock
12 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

I am checking out Daemon by Mayhem and I am liking it. Eternal Hails by Darkthrone sounds pretty cool, definitely has an old school sound, I like it.

@Camachoyou know Massacre, right?

I don't know if you like them, but their new album is pretty good. Sick atmosphere, killer riffs, heavy passages. It's good to get that old school Floridian death metal sound. Songs don't overstay their welcome. I was listening to it in my vehicle today for the first time. I think it's a good album, a good follow-up twenty one years later to From Beyond.

https://www.metalunderground.com/interviews/details.cfm?newsid=151487

@Crucades post metal here!

Massacre is one of those bands I've known about for years but never bothered checking out- I might have heard them on a sampler CD way back, can't remember. I listened to Dawn of Eternity and the first two songs from Resurgence, got pretty bored. Old school Florida DM kind of forked into the more simplistic SFU style and the faster/more technical styles- I very much prefer the latter. The SFU school might be better described as "Golden Corral death metal".

Here's a band that I really got into in the early 00's that was very overlooked. They were kind of unfairly lumped into the melodic DM camp that was dominated by more boring bands like Soilwork or N*Flaymz. I always thought their music was way more intense than their contemporaries, which was probably to their detriment sales wise considering who they were marketed to.

22 hours ago, Hecatom said:

@AriesWarlock
A new gal i discovered on yt.

New indeed, never heard of her. I thought she looked a bit like Tarja Turunen. She has a a good voice, hit those high notes with force.

@Mattatsuwhat's the verdict on Uncle Slam and Savage Master? I've got a few more bands in line if that's the kind of stuff you are looking for. Check out Jenner, mix of thrash and heavy metal.

@Abbachio I don't know if you are into real raw, gritty black metal with some eerie atmosphere. If you are maybe you'll like this. Apparently, only 188 tapes of this were recorded. Two-person project

https://www.tumgir.com/tag/blod besvimelse

25c5862320dcc6a452b6dc1f7ec343fedb52c010

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brutal death metal

Kontusion

https://kontusionkontusion.bandcamp.com/track/rotting-with-sickness

Kontusion consists of the duo of Mark Bronzino and Chris Moore, who together have worked in such bands as Repulsion, Ghostmane and Mammoth Grinder, bringing together their expertise in a mash-up of raw old school death. Opener “Unrelenting Pain” shows just how powerful a grasp they have on the genre. Wild d-beats collide with fierce grooves, like the best of Dismember and Suffocation rolled up into one. The whole thing is coated in a thick layer of slime and entrails, a noisy but clear production job that highlights the brutality.

If you know and love old school death metal, Kontusion is literally a no-brainer. These just nail it, from the brutality to the atmosphere, from how the songs are constructed and the riffs are written, this shit is on fire. And somehow, they don’t sound like they are worshiping any particular act. In under twenty minutes, they lay the groundwork for their own identity. Hopefully a full-length is soon to follow.

New Kovent material

blackened death/doom metal

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
HELLS HEADBANGERS is proud to present SHED THE SKIN's highly anticipated fourth album, Thaumogenesis, on CD, digital and vinyl LP formats.

Spoiler
By now, SHED THE SKIN should require little introduction. Hailing from the metal hotbed of Cleveland, Ohio, SHED THE SKIN are a veritable hydra-head of underground experience: drummer Kyle Severn (Incantation, Perdition Sect), guitarist Matt Sorg (Ringworm, Perdition Sect, Soulless, ex-Blood of Christ), vocalist/guitarist Ash Thomas (FAITHXTRACTOR, CRUCIFIED MORTALS, SURGIKILL, THE VLADIMIRS), and bassist Ed Stephens (Ringworm, Shok Paris, Vindicator, Vanik). And while the band formed as a tribute to fallen friend and bandmate Tom Rojack of Blood of Christ, SHED THE SKIN have taken on a life of their own over three albums for HELLS HEADBANGERS - 2016's Harrowing Faith, 2018's We of Scorn, and 2020's The Forbidden Arts, notwithstanding their Rebirth Through Brimstone debut EP in 2014 - which have reaped acclaim for their acute balance of death metal's old school and its newer one, remaining crushing and compelling every step of the way.

That classicist-into-modernist formula has indeed proved fruitful for SHED THE SKIN, but at last do they return with a well-timed tweak of their sound: Thaumogenesis, the band's fourth full-length to date. The clues to this transformation can be found in the title itself. "Thaumogenesis" is the result of resurrection spells opening two portals - one for the returning soul, the other for an anti-soul created in the process of the ritual; the more "success" there is in the ritual, the more the anti-soul grows and ultimately latches to a returning mortal to give birth to a demon. As such, SHED THE SKIN here seek new paths on which to tread, starting with the studio. For Thaumogenesis, they recorded with Noah Buchanan (NUNSLAUGHTER, Midnight, Kurnugia) at Mercinary Studios as opposed to Unisound & Dan Swano, who had mixed & mastered all previous recordings. Likewise, they went with Justin Meyers of Dark Art & Craft (Axioma, Ancient VVisdom, Perdition Sect) for the cover art as opposed to Ringworm's Human Furnace, who had done the cover art for the three previous albums.

If these subtle-yet-significant changes signal anything, it's a further intensification of that signature SHED THE SKIN sound - still 100% SATANIC DEATH, as they intended from day one - but given dazzling new twists. For one, while the preceding The Forbidden Arts showed the band at their most varied, Thaumogenesis brings even more variety whilst remaining deadly focused. The riffs club and slash, grinding and also graceful, with electrifying and immediately memorable solos flying fast and free; Severn's drums anchor this shapeshifting attack with a dervish-like mix of speed and stomp. Secondly, the production here is impeccable, proving one can "clean up" without losing an ounce of grit or grime; every note, drum hit, and torn vocal cord sizzles with a clarity that's more crushing than ever. But, more than anything, it's SHED THE SKIN's songwriting across the album that puts Thaumogenesis into a masterclass all its own, proving that death metal can stay pure 'n' proud but also move forward. Credit for that must also go to Incantation's Chuck Sherwood, who once again provides lyrical concepts, which cover an array of topics including Scottish pagan tribal warfare, ancient Persian goddess worship, Mongolian/Siberia sacrificial rites, Belarusian shapeshifting rituals, Judean/Arab conquests, Roman ritual curses, Hindu death cults, and classic demonology.

"After three albums, we wanted to explore new and different perspectives sonically and visually without losing the main focus that has always been to create high-quality, memorable, and crushing death metal," concludes Thomas. Indeed, SHED THE SKIN have accomplished that (and then some) with Thaumogenesis. Death metal's new "old kings" have returned, refreshed and revitalized - and ready to rip your soul apart!

credits

releases May 27, 2022

@Abbachiohave you heard of Poltergeist? I think you might like them

DEATH is touring

283149395_10161842981278662_162238266073

https://www.facebook.com/DeathOfficial/posts/10161842981783662

Edited by AriesWarlock
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...