Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Yup, Jason Aaron. Surprisingly, I've met a few sympathizers of his run who think the prehistoric Avengers are cool... He also retconed Thor's mom 🤢

Anyway, issues Avengers #10 (2019) and Avengers #18 (2019) have hints at what's going on with Squadron Supreme.

I don't hate it, but it is clear while he has some big ideas he isn't executing them in a satisfactory way. Kind of like me with most of Bendis' Avengers run except Aaron at least feels like his plots are more organic to the story he is trying to tell and less Bendis getting a run down for some upcoming events by the editor and writing his favorite characters in or around those.

That being said Marvel didn't do him many favors with having line wide crossover events at a clip of two to three a year.

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

Ya know how wild it is... That Wandavision might have never happened if Tony just paid for everyone to get fucking therapy 😂

Imagine all of the problems they would have solved. 

I mean we have seen Tony spent millions to give himself holographic therapy after trying get his scientist buddy with rage problems to act as his therapist. He got no sense of value for what is mental health.

11 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I hope Falcon and Winter Soldier turns out as well. That was the show I was looking forward to. Now the show that I had no expectations for, WandaVision, has a set a pretty high bar. I hope Marvel keeps up the momentum.

Now I'll be the first to admit I didn't expect much from WV. Despite the intriguing set up,I asked myself,why did they choose these two characters to base an entire series around?? What's it going to be about?  Is this how they're going to introduce Mutants to the MCU?

Wanda and Vision were a subplot in the movies I barely cared for and their relationship seemed rushed just to accommodate the script.

So yeah I'm extremely impressed what they came up with and what WV became.

I'm quite confident the other shows coming down the Plus  pipeline are going to be entertaining but it's unfair they're going to inherently compete against WV for the foreseeable future.

5 minutes ago, Maxx said:

In a debate on Twitter on the design of stark stolen tech in the mcu and someone brought up a good question. Wtf powers white vision? It's not the mind stone. 

It sort of still is.

Basically Wanda got whatever latent abilities heightened by the Mind stone. She left some of that power on the drone which SWORD siphoned off to feed into White Vision  plus probably some other power source. They tried for years to rebuild him but without Wanda's power he couldn't activate. Also at the end he got a little more before bouncing.

19 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

It was a cool but short run. The ending signals more interesting stories for Juggernaut.

Yeah. I’ve seen bits an pieces but haven’t read it yet. I only read by trade. So I’m always behind. 

Edited by iStu X
4 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

This June, the Hellfire Trading Company invites you to the #XMenHellfireGala for an evening of festivities, feuds, and most importantly — fashion

Kate’s, Rachael’s and Rogue’s outfits are 👨‍🍳 💋 

Edited by iStu X
5 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

One of the commenters was like "does Rogue need to show underboob?" Have you seen what women nowadays are wearing to the Grammys, Oscars, etc? If anything, Rogue is overdressed lol.

How can they say that when Emma dresses how she does 24/7. She might as well be walking around Krakoa naked

Edited by iStu X

Got my relief money!

Super Mario Nintendo GIF

Gonna spend some of it on some Marvel books.

Was looking at Marvel Epic Collections and saw one available that includes issues from JM DeMatteis run, which until recently, I had no idea he had a Cap run. Dude is one of my favorite writers. Ordered that along with a Cap run by Jack Kirby because he's the King.

Really wish Marvel would reprint Brubraker's Cap run in TPB form. There is the first Omnibus which collects the first 25 issues and Amazon still has some in stock. Super tempted to get it. I've got one Marvel Omnibus, Uncanny X-Men vol. 1, which is still sealed. I'm gonna have to read these suckers on a dinner table if I really am gonna start collecting them.

I'm a few issues into Walter Simonson's Thor run and man, is it good. Interestingly, Storm Breaker came from this run.

21 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm seeing reviews of Falcon and Winter Soldier popping up on my feeds. I'm staying out of social media until tomorrow. 

Oh shit. I’ve been so busy the last two weeks I had completely forgot about Buddy Cop Punching Nazi’s with Underlining Racism

Ep 1 of Falcon and Winter Soldier was a good one. Lots of cool plot threads. I hope the short run of 6 episodes makes it gratifying. 

Spoiler

I have a feeling Bucky’s redemption arc is gunna fuck with me a lot. It has to deal with a lot about his mental health. Like moving past all the things he did under hydra, and trying to find his place in a new world he knows nothing about due to said hydra control with seemingly no one to guide him or help him when he needs it the most. 

Edited by iStu X

First episode of Falcon and Winter Soldier is amazing. That 10 minute action scene is chef kiss. Also, Sam got done so fucking dirty in the ending.

6 hours ago, iStu X said:

Ep 1 of Falcon and Winter Soldier was a good one. Lots of cool plot threads. I hope the short run of 6 episodes makes it gratifying. 

Hide contents

I have a feeling Bucky’s redemption arc is gunna fuck with me a lot. It has to deal with a lot about his mental health. Like moving past all the things he did under hydra, and trying to find his place in a new world he knows nothing about due to said hydra control with seemingly no one to guide him or help him when he needs it the most. 

Spoiler

I like the relationship Bucky has with the old Japanese guy. He has one friend even if he can't tell him truth about his son. I want him to link up with Sam already since he's apparently been reaching out. I want them to talk shit about Spider-man 

Covers and solicits for all 12 Hellfire Gala tie-in issues revealed

At the Hellfire Gala, SECRETS WILL BE REVEALED! VENGEANCE WILL BE HAD. And someone’s number is up. You’ll never guess whose.

New York, NY— March 17, 2021 — “Humans of planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed.” The now iconic opening line from House of X #1, the start of writer Jonathan Hickman’s radical transformation of the X-Men franchise, foretold the incredible plans that mutantkind was about to unleash on the Marvel Universe. This June, the X-Men set out to change the world yet again at mutantkind’s inaugural HELLFIRE GALA.

Yesterday, the first of many exciting new character designs X-Men artists have contributed specifically for the HELLFIRE GALA were revealed by Entertainment Weekly, and the world saw the meaning of “Mutant Fashion” as envisioned by superstar artist Russell Dauterman. Today, readers can check out the covers of all 12 HELLFIRE GALA issues, getting their first glimpse at the secrets, the battles, and of course, the fashion that await at this unforgettable evening.

These highly-anticipated stories will be told across 12 issues, offering different perspectives and viewpoints of a single night that will go down in Marvel Comics history. Throughout the event, fans can expect critical moments to occur that will shape the X-Men’s future as we know it—including the unveiling of the first Krakoan X-Men team, the final member of which was decided by a mega-popular Marvel.com vote.

The HELLFIRE GALA is the result of an epic creative collaboration of all the current X-Men writers and artists. Here’s what Gerry Duggan, writer of Marauders and the upcoming seminal HELLFIRE GALA one-shot, Planet-Size X-Men, had to say about working on this one-of-a-kind event:

“As the builders of Krakoa began discussing the gala within the pages of Marauders and beyond, the writers and editors began noodling on what the evening could be. At our X-Retreat just over a year ago in Chicago we had some very large story ideas and production plans that were ratified to give our artists the time they needed to collaborate on the designs. Russell has been an important part of the Marauders team from the beginning, and it only made sense to ask that he lead the way. The writers jammed on very simple prompts for a few of the looks, but by and large each character was a blank slate for Russell and our other artists. Our regular series artists were also asked to contribute around a half dozen high fashions, so if you don’t see your favorite character on a cover, you’ll likely see them at the party.

“We haven’t sent any of these books to press yet, but I know we’ve already left a giant mark on the line with this party. The White Queen and House Carnation set out to create a special evening like no other, and it’s going to make any other galas you might hear about look like a county fair. Not that it’s a contest, but…Krakoa wins. The whole world’s watching us now, so we must be nothing less than fabulous.”

Check out the covers and solicit text for all 12 tie-ins now and stay tuned for even more exciting news about the HELLFIRE GALA, including additional designs, variants covers, and more! For more information, visit Marvel.com.

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/03/17/covers-and-solicits-for-all-12-hellfire-gala-tie-in-issues-revealed/

I am surprised Chris Claremont is working in one of these titles. He said he doesn't follow continuity and works in spin-offs not tied to current events. If he got on board

then it'll be interesting to see what's his take on things is.

I'm gonna wait for Birdman and Bucky to be fully upped on Disney+ and then binge like a mofo. Think I'll rewatch all three Captain America flicks. Been a hot minute since I've seen them but I dug 'em all.

On the trade front, several Marvel Epic Collections arrived:

Captain America Vol. 1

Captain America Vol. 10

Black Panther Vol. 2

Incredible Hulk vol. 14

Nice to see Jack Kirby's art evolution in Vol. 1 of Cap. It changed a lot from his look of 1940s Cap, but from Avengers #4 to Tales of Suspense #59, he's got the look that most know him for, which is on full display in Black Panther Epic Collection Vol. 2. He draws T'Challa in costume with his eyes visible. A very nice, distinguished touch from, every other artist I've seen on my limited knowledge of Black Panther.

I found out Ta-Nehisi Coates has a run on Captain America and the first twelve issues are collected in OHC format. That arrived on Sunday but I may hold off on starting it since Coates also has a run on Black Panther and 3 vols are in OHC form and pretty cheap on Amazon. First two are already in my cart as I type this and I'm not sure if I should get vol. 3 or go for Immortal Hulk OHC vol. 2. Immortal Hulk Vol. 1 OHC arrives today. Uhhhhh so much good stuff is available and I can actually afford it.