Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

Scarlett Johansson Says She Has ‘No Plans to Return’ as Avenger’s Black Widow

Sitting down for an interview with Fatherly, Johansson said that while she is “really satisfied” with the Black Widow film, that chapter is likely closed.

“I have no plans to return as Natasha. I feel really satisfied with this film. It feels like a great way to go out for this chapter of my Marvel identity,” she said. “I would love to be able to continue to collaborate with Marvel in other ways because I think there’s just an incredible wealth of stories there.”

On 7/7/2021 at 8:26 AM, Hawkingbird said:

Glorious purpose!

Hide contents

Pour one out for old Loki. It sucks he couldn't last for more than one episode but left his mark. It was fun seeing a comic accurate Loki while it lasted. 

Gator Loki is not to be messed with. I like he went into attack mode when his merit came into question. Hope he pops back up in the finale.

I kinda want to know the story of Kid Loki killing his Thor. Given that he was leading the other Lokis he probably isn't as evil as the others. We got Young Avengers to build to so hopefully he gets out of the void eventually. 

What does Moribus plan to do to bring down the TVA? His only possible allies are B-15 and C-20 (assuming she still alive). He should have found himself some other Owen Wilsons

Spoiler

With Kid Loki they could just be him killing his brother or it could comic book accurate. During Kid Loki's time in the comics he sort of did kill Thor or at least let him die during the Fear Itself, although obviously he came right back to life. If they bring him back the kid they used here wasn't bad. Less British sounding then I was expecting given main Loki and Sylvie.

A lot of people said scarlet witch needed to be exactly what it needed to be. Not every marvel movie needs to be go go go explosions and action everywhere. Sometimes they just need to be about story building and character direction. 

im likely seeing it on Tuesday. I’m excited 

7 hours ago, Maxx said:

Can someone tell me wtf happened to captain America that got Republicans panties all tight? 

Doesn't he not believe in America anymore in the comics? I get my comic updates mostly from you guys. I know Marvel and DC can't get their heads out of their collective asses. Manga selling like hot cakes blew up their narrative that no one wants to buy comics anymore...but that's whole other topic.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Doesn't he not believe in America anymore in the comics? I get my comic updates mostly from you guys. I know Marvel and DC can't get their heads out of their collective asses. Manga selling like hot cakes blew up their narrative that no one wants to buy comics anymore...but that's whole other topic.

I legitimately have no clue whats going on. I keep seeing posts crying about him being political and right wingers like dean cain cancelling subscriptions 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Bunch of morons who 1. Don't understand Cap has always been political, from issue 1, and 2. Don't understand Cap stands for American ideals and integrity and will turn his back on America when it betrays those ideals. 

Basically these idiots don't and will never understand that Cap doesn't give 1 single fuck what color tie you wear. You're all fucking punchable for your horseshit and that gets under politicians skin where team loyalty is really all that matters. 

But what sparked it specifically in the past two weeks? Did sumtin happen in the comic? 

11 hours ago, Maxx said:

Can someone tell me wtf happened to captain America that got Republicans panties all tight? 

Marvel is doing a mini series which features a variety of creators making different versions of Captain. America from a variety of backgrounds. But besides that because Steve Rogers wasn't giving America a verbal blow job and made some criticisms it is an easy target for them to claim Marvel is anti America.

Edit: By the way for anyone who has seen the Black Widow film is it wirth the price increase to see it in IMAX?

Edited by Wellman
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Bunch of morons who 1. Don't understand Cap has always been political, from issue 1, and 2. Don't understand Cap stands for American ideals and integrity and will turn his back on America when it betrays those ideals. 

Basically these idiots don't and will never understand that Cap doesn't give 1 single fuck what color tie you wear. You're all fucking punchable for your horseshit and that gets under politicians skin where team loyalty is really all that matters. 

I bet they loved when he was an actual nazi 

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, Wellman said:

By the way for anyone who has seen the Black Widow film is it wirth the price increase to see it in IMAX?

How much is an IMAX ticket? I thought it was a solid, but not exceptional, action film. The story was okay. There was no stand out action scene IMO. But I thought the actors did a great job. Florence Pugh and David Harbour in particular.  Not going to post any spoilers but I get the feeling people may not like what they did with Taskmaster. I will say this, I think the movie did a great job of introducing the Yelena Belova's Black Widow character.

I watched Widow

Spoiler

I didn't like Taskmaster in this film. Everything I like about the character is not present in this film. No personality, being the main villain kid is lame and how she ended up doesn't make me believe she'll ever become a mercenary who trains goons for governments and other villains. This was a waste of Taskmaster which sucks as I thought he would be a good villain for Widow.

Nat and Yelena killed an entire prison full of people to break out Red Guardian. He wasn't worth all that. And film completely grossed over it too.

13 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I watched Widow

Hide contents

I didn't like Taskmaster in this film. Everything I like about the character is not present in this film. No personality, being the main villain kid is lame and how she ended up doesn't make me believe she'll ever become a mercenary who trains goons for governments and other villains. This was a waste of Taskmaster which sucks as I thought he would be a good villain for Widow.

Nat and Yelena killed an entire prison full of people to break out Red Guardian. He wasn't worth all that. And film completely grossed over it too.

I knew....

Spoiler

what they did with Taskmaster wouldn't go over well with a lot of people. It wasn't Mandarin bad (at least this character was a real threat) but, there was no reason they had to call that character Taskmaster. Call her the Widow Slayer or something, give her bad ass outfit, and call it a day.  Side note: Olga Kurylenko is too old to pay the character. She's literally my age, 41.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
45 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

With the way super hero names get passed around in comic books I find it rather funny people are upset about it. 

No one gave a shit when Batrock got fucking rocked in 1 minute by Cap lol. 

old gen xers and boomers complaining about things changing too fast....never happens lol

9 hours ago, RSG3 said:

With the way super hero names get passed around in comic books I find it rather funny people are upset about it. 

No one gave a shit when Batrock got fucking rocked in 1 minute by Cap lol. 

Batroc always been a jobber. That's his charm. The things that make Taskmaster who they are just isn't in the movie. That's my biggest problem. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Batroc always been a jobber. That's his charm. The things that make Taskmaster who they are just isn't in the movie. That's my biggest problem. 

He ain't a 1 minute jibber and we all know it lol. 

And it isn't Masters so it isn't going to be that Taskmasker anyway. 

18 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

That Taskmaster had his signature look and ability. So it doesn't leave a lot for him if we ever get a proper Taskmaster. 

Sure it does, just like we are getting a true 10 Rings. You guys make some weird definitive statements imo. 

30 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

We're getting true rings because he's serving as a replacement for a character Marvel can't legally use. 

My point is you can't make a definitive statement about what the future holds. Everyone cried like babies about Ironman 3 and said they ruined 10 Rings and now here we are. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

My point is you can't make a definitive statement about what the future holds. Everyone cried like babies about Ironman 3 and said they ruined 10 Rings and now here we are. 

Wait 10 years and requiring a project where a faithful adaptation of the character is actually needed. That gives me hope. 

For the record, Im still not sure how I feel about the new Mandarin, he doesn't look menacing enough like I normally picture the character. Comic Mandarin looks like he'd fuck you up even the one from IM3 looked threatening (at first) , this Mandarin looks like he'd fuck your taxes up 😂

But I'm sure he's a capable actor tho, I'm excited about Shang Chi overall. Speaking of fake Mandarin, I'm hoping they show us what happened to Trevor after impersonating the real one, no way he skates by after pulling that stunt

Edited by HD-Man
59 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

For the record, Im still not sure how I feel about the new Mandarin, he doesn't look menacing enough like I normally picture the character. Comic Mandarin looks like he'd fuck you up even the one from IM3 looked threatening (at first) , this Mandarin looks like he'd fuck your taxes up 😂

But I'm sure he's a capable actor tho, I'm excited about Shang Chi overall. Speaking of fake Mandarin, I'm hoping they show us what happened to Trevor after impersonating the real one, no way he skates by after pulling that stunt

We already know what happens to Trevor. Track down the Marvel one-shot All Hail the King. 

10 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

So he gave a message about inclusiveness and how if you don't share the American Dream with immigrants then it becomes the American Lie and that set them off. 

Because they’re racists and bigots and need to fuck off. 

Cap has been literal Nazi and none of them batted an eye. 

also Cap has always believed and said that proclamation.

i don’t know how many times he’s said something along the lines of “If you can’t share the American dream with your brothers and sisters regardless of race or religion or origin than you don’t believe in the American dream.”

Edited by iStu X
2 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

So he gave a message about inclusiveness and how if you don't share the American Dream with immigrants then it becomes the American Lie and that set them off. 

The Republicans cry that we are making Cap too progressive, too liberal,  but that been Captain America MO since March 1941.
Captain America comics always questioned and ridiculed US domestic political and foreign policies

Captain America circa 1968
wk5-13.png?resize=571,267

This cover came out in March 1941, the US didn't enter WWII till December 7
original.jpg

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

That's what set them off? Really? Dafuq!?

They are just showing off their "true colors", turns out about 30 to 45% ( I don't know the exact statistic) of the country is racist and bigots and they don't like what they see in the mirror so they cry fowl that the Liberals are ruining everything for them. Some are just gaslight by the republican to feel the way they do. They are so abused and conned by the Right they have no idea that they are being misused. 

This isn't the place but many of the more vocal Republican mouth pieces are softer then Charmin. They talk big about big shit when they think they are being attacked and of values yet when they do it they don't take responsibility. Or when they see others taking out of their playbook they suddenly want to play by the rules.

Anyway got put off for the day but I saw BW.

Spoiler

Yeah I get why some may have an issue with the MCU Taskmaster. Then again outside of having a particular sociopathic buddy relationship with Deadpool and the one memory based storyline from a mini series I believe they have abandoned, where his memorization takes out his personal memories, having this Taskmaster isn't that difficult to adapt her to do.

Edited by Wellman
44 minutes ago, iStu X said:

It’s the same shit Supes use to say back in the day too.

Superman is the one Super Hero that actually as a fictional character is credited to doing long and lasting damage against the KKK. 
Well it was the old Super man Radio Show, and the Radio Show made not just the Klan the bad guys, but exposed their dealings and how their organization works including their code words and secret greetings. 

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/superman-smashes-the-klan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_Smashes_the_Klan

Edited by DarkSakul
Fuck the Klan

@WellmanAs the Pitching Meeting vid pointed out.

Spoiler

It's similar to X-Men Origins Deadpool. As mentioned in another post. Iron Maiden could have been a more viable substitute for Taskmaster. It just seems that they went with Taskmaster for the name value. Of course Rachel Weisz's character has the same name, Melina Vostokoff, as Iron Maiden but that's the only thing similar about them. It's weird. Iron Maiden really is nothing like Rachel's character at all. MCU Taskmaster seems to have more in common with the comic version of Iron Maiden imo.

14 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@WellmanAs the Pitching Meeting vid pointed out.

Hide contents

It's similar to X-Men Origins Deadpool. As mentioned in another post. Iron Maiden could have been a more viable substitute for Taskmaster. It just seems that they went with Taskmaster for the name value. Of course Rachel Weisz's character has the same name, Melina Vostokoff, as Iron Maiden but that's the only thing similar about them. It's weird. Iron Maiden really is nothing like Rachel's character at all. MCU Taskmaster seems to have more in common with the comic version of Iron Maiden imo.

Spoiler

While you are not wrong, part of it could also be they were planning on it at first but like when the trailers and names dropped many people guessed the identity making that story line too predictable so they changed it during production. 

Also it would be another kid vs parent fight which Marvel has done before and is doing again pretty soon.