Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

5 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Aaaand?

-marvel still has a problem killing off interesting villains. Death dealer and his father... Wtf 

-I would have liked to have seen more hand 2 hand action. If any movie was meant to pull back on the cgi it was this one.. Especially since the character isn't big on super powers at all. 

-I could not stop thinking about how they made Shang Chi and his sister as an amalgamation of different aspects of avatar characters... Even the lil dimensional creature sounded like appa. 

-I have alot of issues with akwafina but it's not even worth mentioning here because I have no interest in debating people over it. 

-Brad Allan was the stunt coordinator who recently died from a heart attack. He was the first foreigner to join Jackie Chans stunt team. As his last movie before dying... Amazing. 

-if anyone likes death dealers style... YouTube Andy Le or martial club. Known about him for years, his group makes great martial arts videos and he's an amazing martial arts tricker. 

Edited by Maxx

I just saw Shang Chi.

Overall: 8/10.

Pros

fights

The Villain was above average. He felt pretty well rounded.

Cons:

The "final battle" was dark and hard to make out. Wenwu and Shang should have fought longer

The "rings" should have been  elaborated on more - which one does what, and a definitive origin

Misc:  Is the dweller dragon supposed to be fin Fang Foom?

35 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

I just saw Shang Chi.

Overall: 8/10.

Pros

fights

The Villain was above average. He felt pretty well rounded.

Cons:

The "final battle" was dark and hard to make out. Wenwu and Shang should have fought longer

The "rings" should have been  elaborated on more - which one does what, and a definitive origin

Misc:  Is the dweller dragon supposed to be fin Fang Foom?

No. The dweller in darkness is a creature from the previous marvel universe. He's similar to the fear lord nightmare. It's from the same universe where galactus came from before he became reborn as a world eater. 

I think the signal is for either Kang or fing fang foom

Edited by Maxx

Yea Fing Fang Foom is someone else.

I also got back from it today. Last fight was a little bit dark at times, but over all final act was fine for me. Liked the whole movie, one of Marvels best in a while. I even enjoyed Awkwafina for the most part. Good times.

They are saving the explanations for the Rings for later, hence the mid credits stinger about them and how old they are.

13 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Do you guys think the Kamala Khan show will start before Hawkeye or after it finishes?

After, Disney knows they got an audience with their Marvel and Star Wars projects on Disney plus so they space them out over time and limit what competes with what. What If is about ten weeks and Star Wars Visions is supposed to pop up this month or next. So if Hawkeye is late November/December we probably won't see Ms. Marvel until next year.

Fantastic Four Fans Spot X-Men Movie Easter Egg 15 Years Later

A viral tweet from user Andrés (@artmachine8096) points out that the issue of People Magazine featuring Sue Storm on its cover references two actors from Fox's X-Men movie saga. "James Marsden eyes next superhero role," reads an exclusive referencing the Cyclops actor, and a story about "The Mystique of Rebecca Romijn," the actress who plays blue-skinned shape-shifter Mystique in X-MenX2, and X-Men: The Last Stand.  

fantastic-four-x-men-easter-egg-cameo-co

The "cameos" occur at the 54:26 minute mark of Fantastic Four

Fantastic Four filmed another X-Men "cameo" that didn't make it into the movie. In a deleted scene between ex-couple Reed and Sue that appears on the DVD special features, Reed uses his stretching powers to shapeshift his face into that of a "stronger man": Hugh Jackman's Wolverine from Fox's X-Men franchise.

fantastic-four-x-men-wolverine-hugh-jack

(Photo: 20th Century Fox via Fantastic Four DVD extras)

Edited by AriesWarlock
On 9/13/2021 at 8:05 AM, DangerousJ said:

I'm surprised Linda Cardellini as his wife is not shown in this trailer.

With BW out this year , Renner is the only one of the six OG  Avengers not to have his own movie. 

I wonder if he is secretly upset at Marvel or doesnt give a fuck.

I dont think he wants to be seen just as an action actor. But hey if he keeps getting cash to portray a vanilla hero it doesnt hurt to suit up

The latest What If was good. Not as good as the Dr. Strange episode but on par with the other ones where it takes familiar scenarios and redoes them.

Jordan at times sounds great but other spots I was lol. This is coming from a man that doesn't pay much attention to sound quality after decades of English anime dubs and having no problem with stuff like Medabots and even 4Kids dubs like Ultimate Muscle, that one particular scene where he keeps repeating a battle cry probably needed another take.

Spoiler

I did like that Panther plains scene however, kind of wish they could have gotten that fleshed out by adding his father too.

Saw Shang-Chi last night. 

One thing keeps bugging me. 

Spoiler

How much of a giant fuck his dad is, and how his dad NEVER says sorry at all, but the film is expecting me to accept that they reconciled. 

Homeboy abused his children for the majority of their life, and Shaun had completely accepted that he was gonna kill the dude. Motherfucker didn't even say sorry. All they needed to do is have him say sorry when he's getting his soul sucked out, but he didn't. 

Shaun and Xialing are all bummed out, which i don't understand. I totally get having complicated feelings, but there is sooooooo much emotional baggage and trauma that they need to unpack and the dude that caused all of it never even admitted remorse for being a dirt bag. 

Oh, and RZRFST is fucking dumb

First half of the movie was really cool. Made me wanna watch kung-fu hustle again

Edited by KingTubb
48 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Yea, they could've kept this Thor episode of What If. Feels kinda out of place when in comparison to all the other episodes and not nearly as interesting 

That's the thing about what ifs... They have no real tempo to them. That's what I enjoy.. You can get a few dark ones and then suddenly you got what if Spiderman had a bratty super hero daughter. Lol

7 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Saw Shang-Chi last night. 

One thing keeps bugging me. 

Hide contents

How much of a giant fuck his dad is, and how his dad NEVER says sorry at all, but the film is expecting me to accept that they reconciled. 

Homeboy abused his children for the majority of their life, and Shaun had completely accepted that he was gonna kill the dude. Motherfucker didn't even say sorry. All they needed to do is have him say sorry when he's getting his soul sucked out, but he didn't. 

Shaun and Xialing are all bummed out, which i don't understand. I totally get having complicated feelings, but there is sooooooo much emotional baggage and trauma that they need to unpack and the dude that caused all of it never even admitted remorse for being a dirt bag. 

Oh, and RZRFST is fucking dumb

First half of the movie was really cool. Made me wanna watch kung-fu hustle again

His dad....

Spoiler

was basically the real Mandarin. He met Shang's mom in full savage mode. They fought. He got bodied and softened until she got killed and he went full savage again. He was a merciless warlord for centuries. If Shang's mom didn't have the upper hand when the met, he would have killed her without a second thought. He wasn't really the reconciliation type. Him apologizing would have been out of character to me.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
37 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

His dad....

Hide contents

was basically the real Mandarin. He met Shang's mom in full savage mode. They fought. He got bodied and softened until she got killed and he went full savage again. He was a merciless warlord for centuries. If Shang's mom didn't have the upper hand when the met, he would have killed her without a second thought. He wasn't really the reconciliation type. Him apologizing would have been out of character to me.

And that's totally fine. But 

Spoiler

Why does Shaun just accept that? His dad was a horrible person for 1000 years. He was ok for 7 of them. It was just weird to me the reverence, sadness, and honor that him and his sister were treating him with after he died. 

I'm fine that he didn't say sorry, but the fact that his kids didn't even address that they needed to unpack the giant shit that he was was weird to me.

But maybe I'm asking for too much nuance from a Marvel flick 🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, KingTubb said:

And that's totally fine. But 

Hide contents

Why does Shaun just accept that? His dad was a horrible person for 1000 years. He was ok for 7 of them. It was just weird to me the reverence, sadness, and honor that him and his sister were treating him with after he died. 

I'm fine that he didn't say sorry, but the fact that his kids didn't even address that they needed to unpack the giant shit that he was was weird to me.

But maybe I'm asking for too much nuance from a Marvel flick 🤷‍♀️

I don't know why you expected them to unpack anything. Marvel movies have never done that.. The TV shows do. Movies give you a summary of a character but if you want deep character development give him a tv show 

On 9/22/2021 at 1:40 PM, HD-Man said:

Yea, they could've kept this Thor episode of What If. Feels kinda out of place when in comparison to all the other episodes and not nearly as interesting 

I guess it is the light hearted episode before bleep hits the fan. Frankly I kind of think they probably should have had an episode like this earlier to break up the dark episodes early on.

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

If the Kirby, Siegal and  Shuster families couldn't win the rights over those various creations, unless they got a contract Steve held onto promising something I don't how Dikto's Estate can.

Which from a creators stand point sucks but as a consumer I am happy with the Devil I know.

25 minutes ago, Wellman said:

If the Kirby, Siegal and  Shuster families couldn't win the rights over those various creations, unless they got a contract Steve held onto promising something I don't how Dikto's Estate can.

Which from a creators stand point sucks but as a consumer I am happy with the Devil I know.

we'll see..marvel is now suing a bunch of the families to keep hold of the ip. this is also a good reason why so many creators are jumping to stack. they see marvel and dc and what they are doing with the stories they created and creators are getting dime and nickel'd for the money mcu are making. some creators arent even getting compensated.

41 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@MaxxTo further your point, when ever creators go the Kickstarter or Substack route there seems to be a near instant coordinated effort to take shots at them or somehow denigrate them. That wouldn't happen consistently if they didn't fear creators getting their due compensation. 

Look at Hickman.. They gave him control of the entire xmen universe to reboot and he said.. Nah yall too much.