Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

19 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I don't believe in crossing ppl out for their views on vaxx however, in order to secure the bag it's best not to say anything at all. Keep your views secret until u get paid. It's certain shit u don't speak on if u want to keep a career. Not sayin I agree with her, but just sayin 

I'll keep it 100, if I had kids. I'd cross every anti-vaxx person out of my life. Some 10 year old girl just died of COVID in my home state. It reminded me that, as of yet, kids don't even have the vaccine as an option.

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

I think alot of people do honestly. Peter hasn't been a teen in comics since the 80s? Legit I don't remember a time he wasn't ah adult in comics. Even the cartoons most are college/adult age. 

Id say since 1978 approximately.

He graduated high school in ASM 28 and then college around #185 which was published in 1978.

Most US folks finish the Bachelors around 22-23 assuming they go straight after HS and dont take any leaves of absence and the program is 4 years.

Though with Marvel's shiftng timeline and retcons who knows the definite answer?

I just saw Venom 2.

Pros:

the banter between Eddie and the symbiote

Screwball humor

The look of Carnage.

Just the right length (Title of your sex tape)

end credit scene

Neutral"

Woody as Carnage was ok as was Naomi as Shriek

(Its interesting that we got another black actress playing a character who is stark white in the comics. Reminds me of Deadpool 2)

Cons:

Not enough action. There are quick bits here and there, but  IMO there are only 2 real scenes, - Birth of Carnage and the final battle in the church.

There are some power displays that arent right with Carnage (Symbiote reveals a gaping hole where there should be Cletus flesh, creating a tornado) At one point, Kassidy kills someone and takes their outfit. Umm  both Venom and Carnage can shape shift into clothes for the host. I havent read comics in 20 years and I remember that shit! Also, i dont think he threw any projectiles from his symbiote (that was a power Venom didnt have at least in the 90s)

IMO due to PG-13 Carnage doesnt seem as twisted as I would have liked. The character is one of the few out and out serial killers in Spider-man's rogues gallery and the fights should have been more visceral. Also, almost all the Venom scenes are at night. They need some at day.

Overall: This is more of a goofy comedy than a sci fi action/horror film. Whereas the first film was serious at times, this one amps up the goofiness a lot. 

6/10

I just finished What If season 1.

I really like the look.(Cel shading?). I'm surprised they got so many big names back just for a TV show. 

My favorite episode was the Dr. Strange one about "losing" his heart. Second place would be the murder of the Avengers.

I think the show works best with the darker ideas and usually bittersweet endings.

7.5/10

14 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Id say since 1978 approximately.

He graduated high school in ASM 28 and then college around #185 which was published in 1978.

Most US folks finish the Bachelors around 22-23 assuming they go straight after HS and dont take any leaves of absence and the program is 4 years.

Though with Marvel's shiftng timeline and retcons who knows the definite answer?

He is older in the comics but they shift it all the time to make sure he is late twenties usually because he for decades was the kid heroes in the eyes of many creators who grew up with him as such. Even with Miles around to shoulder some of the kid appeal, Peter is still wildly popular along with Iron Man across the globe so for titles like this he is as young as they need him to be.

4 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I just finished What If season 1.

I really like the look.(Cel shading?). I'm surprised they got so many big names back just for a TV show. 

My favorite episode was the Dr. Strange one about "losing" his heart. Second place would be the murder of the Avengers.

I think the show works best with the darker ideas and usually bittersweet endings.

7.5/10

I wasn't sure what I'd think of What If but Captain Carter sold me. I was all aboard the What If train from that point. I really dug the animation style. The series came off, at least to me, as high budget cinema animation. From a production standpoint, it didn't seem like a direct to streaming show. I agree with you on Dr. Strange. That was a really exceptional episode. I also like the little touches here and there. 

Spoiler

When Dr. Strange calls down the zombies to hold off Ultron, Zombie Scarlet Witch stops being rabid when she sees Ultron's face. She looks almost sad that she had attacked "Vision".

Hearing Chadwick Boseman's voice again was bittersweet. 😔

2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Cheyenne, to be specific

tumblr_p8s6hq7Hti1ul6cd2o1_1280.jpg

Interesting tidbit, Nemesis was a nazi. He was a character from another company, was brought to Marvel as a Nazi. Then was rebooted into a mutant many years later.

tumblr_inline_p8s6aq4goO1tgt469_400.jpg

tumblr_inline_p8s6cqskbr1tgt469_540.jpg

Huh, I remember Nemesis from a X-Men or X Force run a little while back, he was fun mad scientist to have on that team despite being a former Nazi. That page with him and Forge had me thinking it was someone else with those goggles and missing the trademark white hat.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

Huh, I remember Nemesis from a X-Men or X Force run a little while back, he was fun mad scientist to have on that team despite being a former Nazi. That page with him and Forge had me thinking it was someone else with those goggles and missing the trademark white hat.

I meant to say he was rebooted to a mutant who dislikes nazis, and kicks their asses. His background as a character is interesting:

Bradley first appeared as Doctor Nemesis in Lightning Comics vol. 1 #6 (April, 1941) by Ace Comics. He was a highly trained physician who also used his athletic skills and proficiency as a hand-to-hand combatant as a vigilante. He used an unusual weapon to inject criminals with truth serum solutions, leaving them pliable for interrogation. He had some skills as a detective. Working in Mercy Hospital showed him what crime did to innocent people, it was witnessing these horrors that drove him to become a hero.

Marvel revived him as Doctor Death, an American hero who defected to the Axis side during World War II. He appeared as such in "Invaders" vol. 2 #2-4 (June - August, 1993). He formed the team known as the Battle-Axis. While retaining his skills from his earlier appearances, Bradley was retconned with further skills and connections. His expertise with the human body was consulted by Phineas Horton when he sought to create his first android. The two ended up working together to create the original Human Torch, effectively becoming his co-parents. Bradley learned enough of Horton's robotics skills to create his own androids later on. He now used a larger-caliber weapon which fired darts filled with a super-sedative substance. The projectiles were thrown with enough force to penetrate chain-mail armor. He served as the leader of the Battle-Axis. He was betrayed and killed by Volton, an android created by him. Volton was enraged to learn his memories as a human were actually only programmings by Bradley.

Apparently he got better since he later resurfaced and was recruited by Beast for his science squad. It is revealed that he is a first generation mutant, born in 1906. After rescuing Beast and Professor X from Norman Osborn's prison, Nemesis and the rest of the X-Club join the X-Men on the risen Asteroid M, renamed Utopia, where they mourn the death of Yuriko Takiguchi shortly afterward.

Powers

Originally, Bradley had no superhuman abilities and relied upon his superior intellect and technology. However, he was retconned into a mutant in Uncanny X-Men #504. His mutant powers are a "self-evolved" intellect and biology. He possesses both an enhanced immune system and slowed aging process that gives him an advanced longevity. In Uncanny X-Men, Bradley revealed he has altered his eyes to give him enhanced vision and the ability to see genetic anomalies. He is a genius in several fields, and uses various self-developed weapons and gadgetry. He is also a gifted athlete and a trained hand-to-hand combatant.

One of the best things about him is his acerbic wit:

mister-fantastic-meets-doctor-nemesis.jp

3451131798e1c92613e0c630063c7665facd263e

Spoiler

1247018-x_club_2.jpg

1245854-x_men_blind_science_nem5.jpg

1439066-x_men_cotm_smoke_blood_nemesis4.

tumblr_lxapcoUolL1r9xj9to1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0gc0gqyz91tpnl28o1_1280.jpg

2187074-xclub3d_put_my_science_in_you.jp

If you are able, read X-Club for more of him.

Edited by AriesWarlock
3 minutes ago, iStu X said:

we already got world war hulk in Thor Ragnarok. Not literally mind you but as close as we’re going to get. 

Wasn't That was more of a Planet Hulk tho? But yea, I don't see World War Hulk happening, atleast not on its own terms atleast. It'll have to be done the Ragnarok way

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Wasn't That was more of a Planet Hulk tho? But yea, I don't see World War Hulk happening, atleast not on its own terms atleast. It'll have to be done the Ragnarok way

You are correct, although it is easy to get them confused as the Planet Hulk arc bleed right into WWH. But yeah, unless they do a What If Story I don't see them doing WWH, besides the only characters who can swing on that level physically currently in the Marvel universe among the heroes are Captain Marvel and Thor. 

2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Yes. But I still don’t see them doing World War Hulk unless they tie it into a Maestro story… which I can’t think of how they could do that. 

5 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Yes. But I still don’t see them doing World War Hulk unless they tie it into a Maestro story… which I can’t think of how they could do that. 

Kang's around so time travel into the future is possible. I think Disney probably could pull it off if they really wanted to, but Universal throws a major wrench into a WWH arc. I won't get my hopes up 

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

Put it between the two infinity movies. Use it to explain how he became smart hulk, because that transformation was very bullshit. 

Or its an alternate earth

Edited by Maxx