Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Am I the only one that thinks the change was done to save money.  Ethereal construct effects would certainly be cheaper than embiggen effects.

That's a thought. Warping a "living" thing is still very time consuming. 

As long as her powers are functionally the same I'll probably be fine with it. I imagine this ending up like a Raimi Spider-Man thing where people argue about Organic Web Shooters while I mostly don't care. Yea it removes an invention of his but there where other ways Raimi could have shown he was smart. I bet this will be somewhat the same only smaller because Ms Marvel is less a part of thr cultural zeitgeist then Spider-Man. 

On 10/25/2021 at 3:47 PM, RSG3 said:

That's a thought. Warping a "living" thing is still very time consuming. 

As long as her powers are functionally the same I'll probably be fine with it. I imagine this ending up like a Raimi Spider-Man thing where people argue about Organic Web Shooters while I mostly don't care. Yea it removes an invention of his but there where other ways Raimi could have shown he was smart. I bet this will be somewhat the same only smaller because Ms Marvel is less a part of thr cultural zeitgeist then Spider-Man. 

I don't see it being functionality the same. Kamala is a polymorph. She won't be able to grow in size, change her body density and mass with constructs. Her power set will be far less versatile.

9 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

She can shrink too. She also wouldn't be able to shape shift which is one of her key uses of her powers. Shifting into Carol as Ms. Marvel is the first thing she does when her powers manifest. It would suck to lose that.

Yeah, it kind of sucks from that stand point her first unconscious use of her power was to be someone else but she learns early on to be herself, which was pretty heartwarming.

But yeah this smells like a cheaper and easier to make shiny construct then warp her body in different ways. I just really hope aside from this change they nail the book's early arcs and tone so the character is done justice.

11 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't see it being functionality the same. Kamala is a polymorph. She won't be able to grow in size, change her body density and mass with constructs. Her power set will be far less versatile.

As of Marvel can't makeup bullshit to make her grow or shrink or do whatever else. Tony literally had a suit made of a bazillion Nanomachines Son. 

I think I reached the endgame in Guardians

Spoiler

I was happy to see Adam Warlock is in the game. He was hinted a few times before but I'm glad to see he actually shows up. Magus being the behind the Church makes everything sweeter. I think this game found a way to make him a bigger asshole than he normally is.

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

looks better made than both venom movies and looks comic book accurate . but i just dont give a fuck lmfao. i didnt care about him in the 90s during the animated cartoon and i dont care about him now. the only reason to ever give a fuck was if blade came along

This.

I gave Morbius a shot when in the 2000s they gave him a push complete with having him headline a solo book, then multiple monster/horror based mini series and such all designed to push him. But as I kept reading people try to make him work I found it just doesn't for me personally. And I am cool with Vampires and such he just isn't that fun of a character compared to Man Thing, Werewolf by Night, Marvel's Overpowered version of Dracula and other horror characters. Hell even among redeemed Spider-Man villains I can think several others I would rather read or watch.

I'm just now catching up here and saw the Morbius trailer... right from the jump they scored some bonus cool points for using a cover of the infamous "People Are Strange" song, which for me is forever associated with The Lost Boys in my mind.

People keep doubting this character and concept being a movie for some odd reason....but soon they too will see and understand the greatness.

(**EDIT---I've suspected that it's because the first impression of this character for a lot of people was probably when he appeared in the 90s-era Spiderman cartoon....this is unfortunate because that show was terribly limited by the "standards and practices" of the time, resulting in a pathetic, gimped version of what he's supposed to be...and he looked silly back then too, but of course that was the fault of the artists and horribly cheap animation on that show.)

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, MillionX said:

I'm just now catching up here and saw the Morbius trailer... right from the jump they scored some bonus cool points for using a cover of the infamous "People Are Strange" song, which for me is forever associated with The Lost Boys in my mind.

People keep doubting this character and concept being a movie for some odd reason....but soon they too will see and understand the greatness.

(**EDIT---I've suspected that it's because the first impression of this character for a lot of people was probably when he appeared in the 90s-era Spiderman cartoon....this is unfortunate because that show was terribly limited by the "standards and practices" of the time, resulting in a pathetic, gimped version of what he's supposed to be...and he looked silly back then too, but of course that was the fault of the artists and horribly cheap animation on that show.)

People doubt him because he's literally never been popular. That cartoon was legit his peak. Absolutely no one has ever asked for amobius comic... He isn't remoteky in  the top 10 Spiderman villains. He exists that's about it. 

I never thought he would ever get his own movie. 

Maybe at most he could be a guest star in a Blade movie. 

Sony got lucky with the Venom movies,but that is mostly due to Venoms status as one for the most popular Spidey villains if the early 90s and the presence of Tom Hardy. 

I m not having the same confidence for this or Kraven or whatever other Spiderman "side" projects Sony chooses to produce.

Going to see Eternals tonight. It's among the lowest rated MCU movies ever according Rotten Tomatoes right now, but that makes me more interested in seeing it somehow. That's a new feeling for me. I rarely go to a movie RT says is rotten. I've learned my lesson a bunch of times there.

EDIT: Forgot to ask: has anyone here seen it?

Edited by axeman61
47 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

Going to see Eternals tonight. It's among the lowest rated MCU movies ever according Rotten Tomatoes right now, but that makes me more interested in seeing it somehow. That's a new feeling for me. I rarely go to a movie RT says is rotten. I've learned my lesson a bunch of times there.

EDIT: Forgot to ask: has anyone here seen it?

I haven't seen it and honestly I'm not that interested. Well I'm more interested in it than I am in Morbius but that's a REEEAAAALLLLY low bar to clear.

I'm honestly more interested in the Morbius movie than Eternals, which is saying alot cuz I don't care about Morbius as a character. The movie just looks much better made and more interesting than Eternals, with Eternals I feel like I'm just going to see what happens in the post credits while I'm genuinely interested in Morbius itseld

Can't believe I just said that but that's how I feel 

22 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

A guest star in Blade or Spider man is all he should be. Sony wants a climatic universe so bad but Spidey corner of Marvel isn't expansive. 

No I would say it is pretty expensive but not exactly deep. Especially since the Sony executives seem to have hard ons for the villains and easy to market stuff instead of going deep. I don't know how they got Into the Spiderverse made other then the directors sealing the project off from Sony until it was done.

5 minutes ago, Wellman said:

No I would say it is pretty expensive but not exactly deep. Especially since the Sony executives seem to have hard ons for the villains and easy to market stuff instead of going deep. I don't know how they got Into the Spiderverse made other then the directors sealing the project off from Sony until it was done.

What I meant is there isn't enough characters in Spider-Man stable that can work as a lead. The only ones I can think of who isn't a fellow spider is Venom, Black Cat, and the Superior foes of Spider-Man. Morbius and Kraven getting films are huge stretches 

24 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I'm not even sure Felicity has enough gas for her own cinematic project. 

If they get the right lead it could work. It would draw attention to the movie and if the film is solid, they should be able to make bank. Honestly I would have done a Black Cat movie over Morbius. I didn't even know Morbius had fans. At least with Black Cat you could tap into two markets. The "female empowerment" market and the larger "dudes that like fit chicks in skin tight black leather" market. 🙃 

23 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

What I meant is there isn't enough characters in Spider-Man stable that can work as a lead. The only ones I can think of who isn't a fellow spider is Venom, Black Cat, and the Superior foes of Spider-Man. Morbius and Kraven getting films are huge stretches 

Yeah, I agree but that is why I said it wasn't deep. Thanks to Spider Verse and the many many variants you can make a Spider-Man film or project set anywhere or anytime. Want to do something with some Noir you got a option or two, Dona future story you got options, ladies etc. Sony can pull from any and most of these characters, plus symbiotes which is and at the same time not a diverse pool, just not deep on differences. You are right outside of the Spiders and symbiotes the amount of characters you can bank on to carry a film are low which is why they have struggled for years to get it done. I mean Spidey has the best rogues gallery this side of Batman, but you don't see Warner trying to make a Penguin or Mr. Freeze solo movie work.

Spoiler

-I liked the movie but it's mid at best but that doesn't make it bad. 

-celestials being robots confuses me. How does Thanos and Eros exist now since they were born. 

-my best guess is since deviants can evolve they are prob so closely related to eternals maybe they were robots originally too? But can evolve as well so that may explain why Thanos could be related. 

-I wonder who the voice was at the end.. The watcher? 

-Angelina having mental issues due to past trauma was a lil too on the nose lol

-needed more cersei interacting with humans, so we understand what Ajax saw in her as leader. We didn't realllly see her interacting to humans. 

-I thought it was interesting they fucked with comic fans druig was originally the one who tried to out the sleeping celestial down and they changed it

Eternals thoughts 

6 hours ago, Maxx said:
  Hide contents

-I liked the movie but it's mid at best but that doesn't make it bad. 

-celestials being robots confuses me. How does Thanos and Eros exist now since they were born. 

-my best guess is since deviants can evolve they are prob so closely related to eternals maybe they were robots originally too? But can evolve as well so that may explain why Thanos could be related. 

-I wonder who the voice was at the end.. The watcher? 

-Angelina having mental issues due to past trauma was a lil too on the nose lol

-needed more cersei interacting with humans, so we understand what Ajax saw in her as leader. We didn't realllly see her interacting to humans. 

-I thought it was interesting they fucked with comic fans druig was originally the one who tried to out the sleeping celestial down and they changed it

Eternals thoughts 

Spoiler

The director confirmed the voice in the end is Blade

9 hours ago, Rioting Soul said:

Eternals

Hide contents

Still no mutants huh? That was the perfect time to introduce them.

Spoiler

The Eternals is mythology is connected to the cosmic side of things. If Celestials created humanity in this continuity like they did in the comics then it would have had a passing mention

Edited by Hawkingbird