Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I really liked the Robbie Reyes we got in Agents of Shield. He was suppose get his own show on Hulu before the plug got pulled on Marvel TV. I would like to see him back.

I'm wit you, he's definitely my preference. His arc in the Shield show was one of my favorites, they really nailed him. Seeing how NWH and Hawkeye, it's possible we'll see him again

Reedus played a fan favorite character in the Walking Dead. His character was one of the very few with plot armor. He was also the lead for Amazon Prime simulator Death Stranding. 

He’s also Hideo Kojima’s man crush. Which I don’t understand at all. Low bar for sure 

After 10,000 years I am free and I got to see No Way Home.

Spoiler

Everything was true! Sony security must be still easier to crack then Swiss cheese!

Unfortunately some asshole spoiled Aunt May's death while I was on social media commiserating on another Rockets loss. Still brought me to tears watching it and the aftermath with everyone trying to make him feel better.

So one of the funniest memes involving the mcu atm is the idea the avengers ignored everything in Spiderman. Which is a major problem I think in trying to set comic movies in a realistic world. 

We like to pretend to ignore this issue in comics. In DC they kinda deal with it by setting everything in different cities but in marvel pretty much everything is in NY. And in a movie world you can't pretend that shit away. 

I wonder if marvel will address this idea really or just hope people allow them suspension of disbelief 

The old Justice League cartoon used to just say they were busy dealing with other generally unnamed threats. That's probably the simplest explanation. Say the Avengers were on the West Coast while NWH was happening 

Honestly, it doesn't bother me too much if they don't explain, but I can see why it would bother others

18 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

The old Justice League cartoon used to just say they were busy dealing with other generally unnamed threats. That's probably the simplest explanation. Say the Avengers were on the West Coast while NWH was happening 

Honestly, it doesn't bother me too much if they don't explain, but I can see why it would bother others

None of it bothers me. But it seems to be something mainstream people can't wrap their brain around and for the mcu who try to keep things in this world they are creating it becomes harder for suspension of disbelief for alot of people. 

It's way easier for people to accept in comics and cartoon form. But when you got Spiderman being on the run from people and no ones willing to give a hand it becomes a harder issue. 

8 hours ago, Maxx said:

So one of the funniest memes involving the mcu atm is the idea the avengers ignored everything in Spiderman. Which is a major problem I think in trying to set comic movies in a realistic world. 

We like to pretend to ignore this issue in comics. In DC they kinda deal with it by setting everything in different cities but in marvel pretty much everything is in NY. And in a movie world you can't pretend that shit away. 

I wonder if marvel will address this idea really or just hope people allow them suspension of disbelief 

There's is no Avengers at the current moment. Iron Man, Widow and Cap are dead. Thor is with the Guardians, Hawkeye is chilling with the fam, Hulk is out of commission thanks to his arm, Wanda is in isolation, white Vision fucked off. War Machine, Falcon and Bucky are really the only ones that could possibly help. Given the nature of their characters they probably won't be in New York. 

1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:

There's is no Avengers at the current moment. Iron Man, Widow and Cap are dead. Thor is with the Guardians, Hawkeye is chilling with the fam, Hulk is out of commission thanks to his arm, Wanda is in isolation, white Vision fucked off. War Machine, Falcon and Bucky are really the only ones that could possibly help. Given the nature of their characters they probably won't be in New York. 

LOL that is what I was gonna say. At the time of NWH, what Avengers are even left?

Hawkeye took place within the same time period in ny

What is you guys opinion on the Amazing Spider-Man series? Just watched it for the first time yesterday to get ready for No Way Home. While it is very different to the Raimi trilogy, I actually find myself enjoying it. It seemed like it wanted to do to much with his parents and the villains, but I did enjoy Andrew's Peter and Gwen. I thought Gwen was  handled a lot better than both MJ's.

28 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

What is you guys opinion on the Amazing Spider-Man series? Just watched it for the first time yesterday to get ready for No Way Home. While it is very different to the Raimi trilogy, I actually find myself enjoying it. It seemed like it wanted to do to much with his parents and the villains, but I did enjoy Andrew's Peter and Gwen. I thought Gwen was  handled a lot better than both MJ's.

I think it's a flawed series that I really enjoyed regardless. It has some big issues, but what it gets right it really nails imo. 

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

Andrew Garfield was a horrible Peter Parker (he’s way too hot to be a believable super dork/scientific genius/etc) but he was an absolutely perfect Spider-Man. His body language, how he delivered quips when fighting crime, just everything when he was Spider-Man was great but he was an awful Peter. 

But NWH also showed me I could have been wrong because the few scenes he was in he honestly stole them and had amazingly strong showings. Like when the other Peters were telling him how amazing he was and finally accepting it along with him saving MCU MJ were some of the best scenes in the 3rd act if not the entire movie. 

I was really hoping he would have stayed in the MCU and became its version of Ben Reilly. 

27 minutes ago, iStu X said:

If this wasn’t Dan Slott I’d be super excited. Hopefully this event is the end of his fantastic four run. Cause it’s been ass. 

Slott is guy that when he gets a concept can nail it and when he doesn't he ducks up. I think with Fantastic Four he had fondness for the property but didn't have a great story to say on it like he did with Silver Surfer, Superior Spider-Man, GLA and some of his other titles. He isn't the first guy like this, Aaron's Avengers run, but I do hope it is the end of his run so someone else can maybe grab it and take more novel changes to the formula.

12 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Slott is guy that when he gets a concept can nail it and when he doesn't he ducks up. I think with Fantastic Four he had fondness for the property but didn't have a great story to say on it like he did with Silver Surfer, Superior Spider-Man, GLA and some of his other titles. He isn't the first guy like this, Aaron's Avengers run, but I do hope it is the end of his run so someone else can maybe grab it and take more novel changes to the formula.

Jason Aaron’s avengers is some of the worst stuff I’ve ever read. I don’t understand how the title hasn’t been cancelled or why Aaron hasn’t been taken off the title 

Edited by iStu X

Got back from watching No Way Home a few hours ago. 

Spoiler

Holy SHIT! That was amazing! Even with it being leaked to hell, it still managed to catch me by surprise.

I loved how they balanced the three Spideys. Not one of them felt like they overshadowed another and the scenes where they were in the lab were my favorite. For a franchise that usually handles multiple villains poorly, I feel like No Way Home has finally broke the curse. With the the exception of the Lizard sadly, all the villains had great showings. I’m pretty sure Doc Ock’s redemption is a little apology over how him being redeemed only to immediately die at the end of Spider-Man 2. Also Willem DaFoe killed it. Amazing that he committed to doing his own stunts at his age and the decision to remove his mask was a very good one. 

I cannot wait for whatever the next Spider-Man movies have. A full reset fixes a lot of the problems people were having with the MCU. Not having the series to connect to other movies would make it much easier to get some of my friends to watch them.

Overall, I had a really good time. Even when the film was holding me hostage. Had to go to the bathroom about an hour in, but I couldn’t leave the seat.

So comixology is having a huge end of the year sale I just picked up the following for under $140 (technically less than $80 because my friend gifted me a $50 comixology gift card for holiday)

Alan Moore Swamp Thing 1-5

Silver Surfer Masterworks 1 & 2

Luke Cage MasterWorks 1-3

Iron Fist Masterworks 1-2

Incredible Hulk Masterworks 15 

Fantastic Four by Mark Waid 1-4

Fantastic Four Masterworks 1-22 

Thor Masterworks 1-20

Total savings was almost $1k

I might pick up some more stuff tbh. They’re having multiple end of the year sales with deep discounts across the board. Not just marvel and dc

Edited by iStu X