Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

Watched "Eternals" last night. 

It was fine. The concept of what the movie was trying to do was actually pretty interesting. However, in the third act Disney went:

"Welp, we gotta beat the shit out of something. WETA, ILM. . . 

6m-rain.gif

"

I can certainly see why people didn't like it. I can also see why people enjoyed it. It was a movie that tried not to be a Marvel movie, till it had to be a Marvel movie. 

3 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Watched "Eternals" last night. 

It was fine. The concept of what the movie was trying to do was actually pretty interesting. However, in the third act Disney went:

"Welp, we gotta beat the shit out of something. WETA, ILM. . . 

6m-rain.gif

"

I can certainly see why people didn't like it. I can also see why people enjoyed it. It was a movie that tried not to be a Marvel movie, till it had to be a Marvel movie. 

I liked it for all the world building but you might as well expect it to Marvel eventually. It's what people paid for. Its what the books do. 

Edited by RSG3

@OPTIMUS124Yeah I watched it and I pretty much agree with everything you said. I'm into to lore so that will hook me. I also see how the average filmgoer would have been turned off by it. Honestly the biggest fault the movie had for me is that they had to put so much lore into the film. It almost seems like two films in one.

Side Note: Its weird seeing Richard Madden and Kit Harrington in a  love triangle with a character named Sersi.

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@OPTIMUS124Yeah I watched it and I pretty much agree with everything you said. I'm into to lore so that will hook me. I also see how the average filmgoer would have been turned off by it. Honestly the biggest fault the movie had for me is that they had to put so much lore into the film. It almost seems like two films in one.

Side Note: Its weird seeing Richard Madden and Kit Harrington in a  love triangle with a character named Sersi.

I think that's the thing that is so frustrating. It was a lot of world building with some pretty epic threads. Then it kinda went into what I mentioned earlier. This may be akin to the original Star Trek movies. Even phases are the "yeah, I guess" movies with the odd phases being where all the magic happens.  

The thing about the Eternals is they’re a very small group and rarely seen, even in the comics but, and I can’t stress this enough,  they’re extremely important in the marvel universe. 

I think the reason why the movie has been so divisive is because it does more world building and expanding than anything else. It’s a marvel comic more than a marvel movie. So this far into the “phases” the movie seems a little out of place. It feels like a movie that should have been towards the beginning of the MCU. (Imo the Eternals should have been introduced after the first avengers movie). 

For me the movie should have been presented as In sort of a “what we’re showing now is  SUPER important but not until later. Keep watching to find out”. Which it did, but I feel right thing wrong time. But it will likely pay off.  

For instance  how Adam Warlock was shown at the end of GotG V1 but nothing has been mentioned since but You have to remember Adam is one of the most important and most powerful characters in the marvel landscape (he’s literally an allegory for Jesus Christ). So while I’m sad they didn’t introduce him leading into infinity war/end game since he’ and thanos are so interwoven I feel him being done soon and dealing with the multiverse will be more interesting as we’ll likely get the evil version of him from the future, The Magus. 

Back in the topic of the actual movie; I personally absolutely loved the Eternals movie. Top 5? Naw. But upper mid definitely. It was super close on cracking my top 5 though.

My main gripe is as mentioned at the beginning of this, the Eternals are extremely important characters in the marvel landscape.  so I feel as much lore and universe expansion they bring to the table and crammed into the movie it should have been covered as a mini-series rather than trying to cram in all into 150 minutes. 

Edited by iStu X
8 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I know almost nothing about Moon Knight but that trailer looks great, not your typical MCU show I see. Looks similar in tone to the Netflix shows, I dig 

Moon Knight is a nut and can get pretty dark at times. This show has a lot of potential. 

55 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I know almost nothing about Moon Knight but that trailer looks great, not your typical MCU show I see. Looks similar in tone to the Netflix shows, I dig 

Think Marvels version of Batman but he gets his powers from an Egyptian snake god, named Khonshu, he has absolutely no issues with murdering people and, he has dissociative identity order. 

Also: 

Edited by iStu X
9 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

She was more powerful than she knew. She thought she couldn't effect living beings but she could. It was the entire setup for the climax 

Hide contents

in which she turns a Celestial into stone. The most powerful of living things.

Your answer sounded a lot better than the one I was going to post.

Spoiler

reasons . . . 

🤣

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

She was more powerful than she knew. She thought she couldn't effect living beings but she could. It was the entire setup for the climax 

Hide contents

in which she turns a Celestial into stone. The most powerful of living things.

I get it was the set up for the final act they just kinda blew past explaining it. I was wondering if I missed something. 

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

It could be older, I want to say Magik started learning under Dr. Strange and co during or just after the Bendis run on X-Men, so it could be anywhere from around that time. He is the one that introduced the idea of her learning magic from Dr. Strange.

Not to mention lately they have been censoring Illyana's cleavage.