Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

I liked this movie, but didn't like it as much as No Way Home. Maybe that'll change on a second viewing.

Spoiler

I'm concerned about the Multiverse. It seems like it COULD end up being what Nanomachines were in Metal Gear Solid 4. A bandaid for everything. Even though the Illuminati is composed of the members it had in the movie, they kinda felt like yellow flag here. I have a sinking feeling that the Multiverse is going to get pimped out until nothing means anything anymore.

But that's me pearl clutching. I thought similar "nothing matters anymore" stuff after The Eternals and still enjoyed the hell out of No Way Home.

2 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I liked this movie, but didn't like it as much as No Way Home. Maybe that'll change on a second viewing.

Hide contents

I'm concerned about the Multiverse. It seems like it COULD end up being what Nanomachines were in Metal Gear Solid 4. A bandaid for everything. Even though the Illuminati is composed of the members it had in the movie, they kinda felt like yellow flag here. I have a sinking feeling that the Multiverse is going to get pimped out until nothing means anything anymore.

But that's me pearl clutching. I thought similar "nothing matters anymore" stuff after The Eternals and still enjoyed the hell out of No Way Home.

Oh It doesn't touch No Way Home. I enjoyed it but not to close to that level.

45 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I too share this opinion, but I think I can see where they are going with it

Spoiler

I think once they are done with the Multiverse storyline, they're going to use a big Incursion to collapse most of the universes into 616. Of course, they'll keep some other Universes to keep the door open to new versions of existing characters, but once they actually move on to something else and are done with the concept, they'll just keep it in the background.

Just got back from Strange. 

I have extremely mixed feelings about it. There’s parts I genuinely loved but then parts I absolutely loathed because they were peak Raimi hackery.  (I think he’s a shitty writer/director. Sorry not sorry) 

All in all I think it was a fine sequel but just..ugh. Not a fan of certain parts. 

I will say my favorite things about the movie was seeing Bendis and Hickmans finger prints all over the movie. It’s great seeing how much their writing has been so influential when it comes to building the MCU. 

I don’t really feel what I’m about to say is a spoiler since everyone knows America Chavez is in the movie but they super nerfed her. In the comics she’s one of the most power people in the universe. In Strange 2 while she’s still extremely powerful she also got hit with the nerf gun really hard. 

Edited by iStu X

Well, if it makes you feel any better about the Chavez nerf, she admitted she can't fully control her powers and she'll be working to get stronger 

Spoiler

At the sorcerer temple I assume

She'll probably be key in the final battle of the multiverse arc  I assume 

Edited by HD-Man
4 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Just saw, it was dope. Not better than NWH but no movie could follow that tho. Somebody explain the mid credit scene tho 

You mean

Spoiler

Are you talking about the Clea coming and taking him to the Dark Dimension? IIRC Clea is Dormammu's sister and Strange's on again/off again love interest. Someone actually made a UMvC3 mod adding her to the game.

7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You mean

Hide contents

Are you talking about the Clea coming and taking him to the Dark Dimension? IIRC Clea is Dormammu's sister and Strange's on again/off again love interest. Someone actually made a UMvC3 mod adding her to the game.

Ooooh OK, cuz no way they got that big name an actor for someone minor, figured it had to be some character I haven't heard of. So I definitely know where part 3 is going 

But man, Strange ain't probably a day or so removed for Multiverse of Madness and NWH, man's need a break 😂

Also 

Spoiler

That was an extremely fucked up way to introduce Reed Richards. Granted it's not the main MCU version but still lol

Edited by HD-Man
51 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Ooooh OK, cuz no way they got that big name an actor for someone minor, figured it had to be some character I haven't heard of. So I definitely know where part 3 is going 

But man, Strange ain't probably a day or so removed for Multiverse of Madness and NWH, man's need a break 😂

Also 

Hide contents

That was an extremely fucked up way to introduce Reed Richards. Granted it's not the main MCU version but still lol

Man....

Spoiler

Wanda gave zero fucks. The way she took out Black Bolt first.....he was the only one that could have stopped her.

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Man....

Hide contents

Wanda gave zero fucks. The way she took out Black Bolt first.....he was the only one that could have stopped her.

That's totally 

Spoiler

All their fault too. Strange warned them about Wanda but they were too cocky, the minute they saw her Bolt should've spoke. They were stupid enough to tell her Bolt's ability beforehand. 

Im honestly not sure who got killed the worst. I'd say Professor X got off relatively easy. Nice of them using the old x-men cartoon them too

2 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

That's totally 

Hide contents

All their fault too. Strange warned them about Wanda but they were too cocky, the minute they saw her Bolt should've spoke. They were stupid enough to tell her Bolt's ability beforehand. 

Im honestly not sure who got killed the worst. I'd say Professor X got off relatively easy. Nice of them using the old x-men cartoon them too

That's basically the whole movie...

Spoiler

Strange tells people what's up, they don't listen, and a shit ton of people die horribly. I agree with you on Professor X and I take it even further. He got off the lightest in the whole movie. A quick neck snap. Everyone else went out Ed Boon style.

Thoughts about a thing 

Spoiler

So, I know it’s not going to be the case but it feels like this phase of marvel is completely directionless. 

Are we building towards a new avengers roster? Or are we building towards a the debit of thunder bolts? Or are we building up the debut of Young Avengers? Are we building up the debut of the west coast avengers? 

are we going to have the multiversal Kang war? Or are we not? Are we going to actually explore the multiverse or just get bits and pieces? Or are we just hinting at the multiverse but saying fuck it by bringing in The Incursions/The Beyonders to reset the entire MCU? Are we going to see more variants of the Illuminati? Or will we see a multiversal Illuminati?

are we going to see the celestials and the Eternals come back? If so when?  When are mutants coming? When are the fantastic four coming? 

I’m sure Marvel/Feige/D'Esposito have a plan that’s going to tie all this together but right now the MCU does not feel cohesive or have a singular vision of where it’s going, who the big bad is, etc. which is exciting in a way but also it’s just extremely frustrating.  

I liked it, but one of the plot points felt a little bit of everywhere. Raimi brought his charm into the story for sure. Personally I enjoyed the first movie more. However I can see why people are so enamoured. I do agree that things took a turn in some unexpected ways and I appreciate that.

6 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I liked it, but one of the plot points felt a little bit of everywhere. Raimi brought his charm into the story for sure. Personally I enjoyed the first movie more. However I can see why people are so enamoured. I do agree that things took a turn in some unexpected ways and I appreciate that.

I agree with your assessment of which movie is better. That said, I enjoyed this one more than the first one. It's kind of like those games you know are are more flawed that you pick up and play over a game that is better on a technical level. Some times the flawed game is a more fun experience. That's how this movie was for me. 

Side note:

Spoiler

Is it just me or was Rachel McAdams double caked up in this movie?

Edited by Darc_Requiem

My favorite thing is

Spoiler

The cameos were great as always but Wanda straight up being a horror movie villain was the big thing for me. Definitely made her different from the typical marvel movie villain, especially since when we last saw her she was a hero on the road to redemption.

Here she was genuinely terrifying and they wasted no time letting you know she was the big bad. But man, when she was chasing them through that Tunnel, Olsen definitely got a chance to put her acting abilities on display ......

7 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

My favorite thing is

Hide contents

The cameos were great as always but Wanda straight up being a horror movie villain was the big thing for me. Definitely made her different from the typical marvel movie villain, especially since when we last saw her she was a hero on the road to redemption.

Here she was genuinely terrifying and they wasted no time letting you know she was the big bad. But man, when she was chasing them through that Tunnel, Olsen definitely got a chance to put her acting abilities on display ......

That was my favorite too.

Spoiler

The idea of Dr. Strange running way because his adversary is too strong. Dude had no problem going at Thanos. It was great.

16 hours ago, iStu X said:

The first doctor strange is the only movie I regret not seeing in 3D

mood GIF

There hasn't been another movie I have watched to date that made me question why I spent less money on a movie ticket.

There is one thing that has me concerned about the Dr. Strange saga at this point. 

Spoiler

Baron Karl Mordo

40691759-e4c3-46d7-9896-f0a222780707.png

With the way the first movie ended, I was waiting for this man to become one of, if not the best, MCU villains.  His purpose was the perfect setup. His use in this one hurt me a bit. Unless he's placed in another series/movie, my confidence will continue to wane. He's easily one of the best actors in the MCU, and I fear his talent is just going to be squandered.  

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

That was my favorite too.

Remember 

Spoiler

She made Thanos "rain fire". Strange knows what it do. 

3 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I had a question too that maybe yall can answer 

I think that. . . 

Spoiler

It is likely a variant of sort. Just like how the Capt. Carter in this movie is likely not the same as the one in "What If". They have introduced "reasons" into the storytelling. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly once they decided not to recast T'Challa, I was out. 

That was a ha huge mistake on their part. 

4 hours ago, HD-Man said:

From Chadwick passing away, to Lupita's issues on set, this movie either gonna be a clusterfuck or a pleasant surprise, no in-between 

Lupita or Letitia? 

On 5/5/2022 at 10:33 PM, axeman61 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm in the same boat as you.
I loved the movie, but No Way Home was just too damn good.

Spoiler

Finally seeing Reed and Xavier in a live action MCU film.
Excited Gravity Falls GIF

Just got out of the movie

Spoiler

-i did not expect disney to ok all those deaths lmfao. Some kids are def scarred

-black bolt looked off but i guess no way to make it legit without super cheese

-this is def a sam raimi movie, it was basically intro to horror movies for muggles

-curious how strange deals with his new demon aspect. Does this mean he has a new source for magic? 

-dormamus sister... Curious what's next

-incursions are still gonna continue correct? Like thats not something they actually stopped is it? 

Edited by Maxx
Just now, Maxx said:

Just got out of the movie

Hide contents

-i did not expect disney to ok all those deaths lmfao. Some kids are def scarred

-black bolt looked off but i guess no way to make it legit without super cheese

-this is def a sam raimi movie, it was basically intro to horror movies for muggles

-curious how strange deals with his new demon aspect. Does this mean he has a new source for magic? 

-dormamus sister... Curious what's next

Yeah....

Spoiler

The sheer carnage caught me off guard in a good way. There some parents with kids in front of me. At the end, I wonder what they thought.

4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah....

Hide contents

The sheer carnage caught me off guard in a good way. There some parents with kids in front of me. At the end, I wonder what they thought.

Spoiler

Lmfao watching Xavier get his neck snapped had my dying laughing

Question

Spoiler

I'm a little confused at the MCU's definition of what causes an Incursion. Is because someone from one universe crosses and stays in another? Is it the dream walking? I mean we got Vulture in SMCU and now America's in the main universe plus we got Kang about to fuck things up even further.

The real big question is 

Spoiler

Why does everyone remember spiderman now? Ive noticed marvel leaves holes open for other writers to try and fix and explain but they straight up were like.. Fuck this we dont got time to explain Spiderman 

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

The real big question is 

Hide contents

Why does everyone remember spiderman now? Ive noticed marvel leaves holes open for other writers to try and fix and explain but they straight up were like.. Fuck this we dont got time to explain Spiderman 

Spoiler

Huh? Peter didn’t say forget spider man. He said he wants everyone to forget that HE’S spider-man. When Strange and Wong were talking to Chavez about Spidey it was clear they knew of him but knew nothing about him or who he actually was

Edited by iStu X

RIP Perez, man drew some of the best Marvel and DC hero splash pages and covers I have seen.

Just saw the movie... It was fine for a MCU film.

Spoiler

I mean I didn't think they would have the balls to go the Wanda was the big bad route. But having watched it I feel mixed on it. She is a decent character and thanks to WandaVision got a bit cooler, seems a waste to pop all that especially since her lines to Steven was right, both with the NWH thing plus what happened here.

Next loved the Raimi homages. 

Didn't recognize Black bolt at first, also hated how they once again just reduced his abilities to just the sonic voice, the man is more then that and the whole voice blows out his head while interesting makes no sense. 

Even the corrupted Strange was a bit of a let down although that fight scene with the music not was indeed the best magic fight I have seen in the MCU.

All in all it was nice, love the Bruce Campbell cameo. But it could have been better and good heaven I am so thankful something told me NOT to take my nephew cause while he is somewhat desensitized to violence being 8 and all that is a lot of graphic deaths.

9 hours ago, Wellman said:

RIP Perez, man drew some of the best Marvel and DC hero splash pages and covers I have seen.

Just saw the movie... It was fine for a MCU film.

Hide contents

I mean I didn't think they would have the balls to go the Wanda was the big bad route. But having watched it I feel mixed on it. She is a decent character and thanks to WandaVision got a bit cooler, seems a waste to pop all that especially since her lines to Steven was right, both with the NWH thing plus what happened here.

Next loved the Raimi homages. 

Didn't recognize Black bolt at first, also hated how they once again just reduced his abilities to just the sonic voice, the man is more then that and the whole voice blows out his head while interesting makes no sense. 

Even the corrupted Strange was a bit of a let down although that fight scene with the music not was indeed the best magic fight I have seen in the MCU.

All in all it was nice, love the Bruce Campbell cameo. But it could have been better and good heaven I am so thankful something told me NOT to take my nephew cause while he is somewhat desensitized to violence being 8 and all that is a lot of graphic deaths.

She wasnt right about steven

Spoiler

He broke the rules to save the world... His goal wasnt selfish at all. She is flat out crazy and justifying her actions by saying if he can do it so can i... When her goal is 1000% selfish. Thats how they finally got her in the end... They logiced her to death by forcing her to see what she was gonna do by taking another wandas kids. 

Also there's no way imo that building killed her... Especially in the temple created by cthon. His goal has always been to use her body to take over the world... Unless they are really lazy she isnt done yet.