Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

Morbius already doubled its budget so it's not too surprising.

Most people who watched it for the first time were let down not because they were expecting something good, but the internet made them think they were about to watch the superhero version of the Room and instead got a solid mid movie.  

Really  wish that trash MK movie got the level of vitriol Moribus got.  Now THAT was, Tekken the Movie with a budget and a better intro.

Edited by Psychoblue
1 hour ago, Wellman said:

You are wrong saying the recent MK was as bad as the live action Tekken. The actor for Kano alone had more charisma then the casts of Tekken and DOA combined.

He was alright but I disagree about at least DOA.  Diesel as Bass hit a better chord for me as a fan.  In fact DOA would've easily been the better movie if not for one of the worst final acts I've ever seen.  

MK, other than the opening scene, was "Terror Wars Tekken" bad all the way until the end.  I tried describing the plot to Lone Dragon when I saw him at CB and couldn't keep from bursting into laughter at what I was saying when I got to Jax's arcana power being better metal arms after a) he got crappy metal arms earlier and b)  Cole demonstrated not just a better version of the same power, but did so just a scene prior.  

Circling back to Marvel, I saw this has been added to Disney plus.  I've only seen one ep but it looked OK.  Did anyone else watch this?

Edited by Psychoblue

288073540_301006835579580_52302948536004

In Marvel Team-Up 8 (April 1973), the feminist superheroine the Cat battled a parody of feminism, the Man-Killer.
She was about to lose the battle for sales, however. Two months later, the fourth and final issue of her title was published.
I have a soft spot for super heroes who never found their audience, and one of them is Greer Nelson, the Cat.
Created by Marvel in 1972 during a feminist wave (Shanna the She-Devil and Night Nurse debuted simultaneously), the Cat joined a seemingly endless line of cat-themed females, from DC’s Catwoman, to Harvey’s Black Cat (and Marvel’s Black Cat), to DC’s Cheetah, to Republic Studios’ Panther Girl, to Archie Comics’ Cat Girl(s), to Dell’s Tiger Girl to, arguably, Ian Fleming’s Pussy Galore, “the female who is all feline,” according to Goldfinger’s movie trailer.

287744016_7783457285060857_6695777754112

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

Any guesses as to what this writer’s ethnicity is?

If you’re guessing white you’d be wrong. The writer is Yehudi Mercado who is a Mexican-Jew. that said, I’ve read the issue and a lot of the dialogue and artistic choices are…questionable. 

Yehudi isn’t really helping his case by doubling down on his decisions on top of just saying dumb shit in general.  Which is making him look like a racist edgelord and puts him at risk of him being fired from Marvel if not black listed

(for the curious the issue in question is “What If…? Miles Morales Issue 4)

Edited by iStu X
On 6/17/2022 at 3:28 PM, BornWinner said:

This comic apparently came out last week.

Any guesses as to what this writer’s ethnicity is?

I know that twatter assumed that he is white, but he is a mestizo (latino is not a race), since he is mexican/jewish, which means that he is descendant of spaniards, natives and obviously jews.

I know this can be surprising for twatter but white latinos do exist 🤣  (and no, we don't discriminate white latinos for being white)

Just in my family we have roots in blacks, a lot of different native groups, spaniards, arabs, jewish and who knows what more,  like if you see my mother siblings you have people that look black, white and ambiguously brown, we are not homogeneous like twatter likes to believe.

If we go to my generations between cousins and me and my siblings we now also have people with roots in germans/switzerland, italians, french, england, philipines, chinese, jewish (directly since my uncle is full jew) and much more, lol, like I said, we don't discriminate white latinos, because in our own families we have white latinos, is the same for the other skin colors (also why racial jokes are met differently)

Saying that.

Those comics where they put Miles as X character feel patronizing if you ask me, leaving aside this particular one that has been bad received, Miles Morales strength is his character, and not him just being black Peter Parker.

A good deal of  his starting arc was that he needed to become his own version of spiderman, and when he is written well, his background serves beyond him just being black/black latino, since you can see how it seeps into his moral chore and his view on life.

Those comics have been missing the point of that, and only give credence to the idea that he is just black Peter Parker/spiderman instead his own character.

Marvel keeps dropping the ball.

41 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Those comics have been missing the point of that, and only give credence to the idea that he is just black Peter Parker/spiderman instead his own character.

I agree with everything you said. From top to bottom marvel fucked up with Thor morales. Big time. 

The funny thing is that the three issues before Miles Thor were really really well received and written by black  writers. Iirc they were what if Miles was Hulk, Wolverine and Captain America.

Also the writer that’s causing all the controversy has a track record of writing black characters as very racist stereotypes. Whether it’s design, dialogue or story. 

like you can point to writers like Garth Ennis and say “this dude is racist” cause he writes a lot of racial charges things. He’s not though. Those people just aren’t paying attention or don’t know Ennis’s way of story telling. He does those things to point out how ugly, and flat out stupid racism and bigotry is. There’s a nuance to it. 

Stuff like the writing and character designs in Thor Miles and Josh Bennet’s bigoted backdrops in immortal hulk are being blatantly racist. 

Edited by iStu X

By Odin's Fade! Yehudi Mercado Apologises For "Miles Thor-ales" Portrayal In What If?

Some found Miles Morales Thor (Miles Thorales?) laughable, others saw him as the equivalent of Marvel writers on Luke Cage in the seventies. Joshua Isaak's article for ScreenRant, "Thor Miles Morales is Marvel's Best New Character In Years," clashed with Liam McGuire's previous article for ScreenRant, "The Surprise New Thor Has Marvel's Worst Catchphrase. While comic book creator Kevin Grevioux posted on Facebook;

STRAIGHT OUTTA AZGARD!!: "THOMEBOY"?? REALLY?? Beta Ray Bill, an ALIEN, got a better hook-up than brother Miles! And a new hammer to boot!! Blonde flattop fade, graffiti on the hammer, speaking Asgardian ebonics? Wearing Air-Valhalla Nikes while he BOPS down the Bifrost? Is this how they see us? I'm surprised he's not palming a BASKETBALL with his other hand and going for that 360 from the top of the key "thunder-dunk". Now, I'm not one that believes that all Black characters should be written by Black creators. After all, very FEW of the Black characters that we know and love like Black Panther, Blade, Black Lightning, Cyborg, Falcon, Luke Cage, Storm, Mr. Teriffic, John Stewart, etc., were created by Black creators. Because, if so, then we would have to logically concede that we shouldn't be the regular writers on the MAIN Iron Man, Wonder Woman, Flash, Batman, Thor, JSA, JLA, Spider-Man, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and Superman books, etc. (and we haven't in 80 years of comics). But is this what happens when we're not in the room and part of the decision-making process when it comes to creating our own images? Are we that unwanted? And when we do create our own images, do they try to keep us away from them after conception so they can insert their own views about who they want us to be? And how they want us to be perceived? Does this topic really have to be that difficult? I think they sincerely want diversity. They just don't want diversity from US.

Now Yehudi Mercado has responded in a Twitlonger, stating

"I've taken the last few days to step back and listen, and I acknowledge your criticism for my recent issue of What If… Miles Morales was Thor. While I've lived a different experience through my own Jewish and Mexican background, I still know inauthenticity hurts, and I'm sorry this failed on that front. I've appreciated hearing and learning from my Black and Puerto Rican comics peers and hope to use this moment to help promote better authenticity. I'm also going to donate what Marvel paid me to the Brooklyn Book Bodega, which works to build literacy and get more books to kids in NYC."

1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

Speaking of, I remember years ago they were working on a Cena reboot. I wonder what happened with that.

Given how terribly modern strong female characters are written, I don't want to see a Xena reboot. The show went off the rails near the end as is. It turned to a weird fan fiction that was inconsistent with earlier characterizations in the show.

28 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Given how terribly modern strong female characters are written, I don't want to see a Xena reboot. The show went off the rails near the end as is. It turned to a weird fan fiction that was inconsistent with earlier characterizations in the show.

It was a weird show the entire time.. What are we talking about 😂 wb ignored it because it was Saturday afternoon and they absolutely did whatever they wanted after season 2

That's part of what made Xena great, did whatever the fuck they wanted to. 

I will agree with Darc_Req tho, those last two seasons can be kinda rough. 

I'd watch a Xena reboot. I really wish Elden Ring had gear that looked like Xenas I would do that cosplay/build in a heartbeat. 

11 hours ago, RSG3 said:

That's part of what made Xena great, did whatever the fuck they wanted to. 

I will agree with Darc_Req tho, those last two seasons can be kinda rough. 

I'd watch a Xena reboot. I really wish Elden Ring had gear that looked like Xenas I would do that cosplay/build in a heartbeat. 

Yeah they were really rough. If one does happen, good luck finding someone that can fill Lucy Lawless' shoes.  And it better not be some 5'4" 105lb waif chick either.

16 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

looks like it's coming

found it

https://movieweb.com/lucy-lawless-xena-reboot/

From the interview:

"I see it [happening] more this month than I did three years ago, because I think there was a new crop of people who aren't bound by the past. It might be helpful to -- I'm going to leave that thought alone because somebody else, somebody pitched me the idea the other day that's really smart. So there are new people coming up who are going to be able to reimagine it for a new generation. It will be utterly different, but it will be cool. And yes, I do. I do foresee that that person is coming."

Speaking of, it was cool that  Callisto lent her voice to Jen 🤘

callisto-callisto-6674734-1024-1286.jpg

Edited by AriesWarlock

God I hated this weeks Ms. Marvel 

Spoiler

Fucking Kamala is the one who helps her grandma find her dad back during Partition.

Kamala tries to make a construct for her grandma (who is currently a toddler) so she can have a clear path to her father. But someone bumps into the construct shattering into stars (the ones her grandma said guided her to her father) 

SO FUCKING DUMB AND DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE! FUCK

Inside Out Reaction GIF by Disney Pixar

So saw Thor: Love and Thunder. 

Overall, I had a good time. It was a far better "feel" coming out of the theater than Dr. Strange 2. 

Things that I enjoyed

• Thor and Jane's chemistry is on display and it's great.
  • Soundtrack
  • Humor is used in timely ways.
  •  The overall premise that underpins the movie.
  • Bale's performance.

Things that hurt the film

• Gorr and Valkyrie (as wasted/underused opportunities),
  • The movie is more concerned with a lighter tone than the actual themes. 
  • Pacing - for a 2hr movie it felt a bit long.

Personal gripe

• Pick a leitmotif and stick with it. 
  • I don't need Thor to be a lighter take on "Party Thor" . 

This wants to be Ragnarok, but doesn't have the right balance for the story it's tryin to tell. I do think it's worth your money, but I'm not over the moon for it. Bale brings its, when he's on screen,  but his character becomes a way to move the story than impacting it. Out of 10 (with a 5 being "middle of the road"), i'd give it a 7. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124