Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

15 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

So saw Thor: Love and Thunder. 

Overall, I had a good time. It was a far better "feel" coming out of the theater than Dr. Strange 2. 

Things that I enjoyed

• Thor and Jane's chemistry is on display and it's great.
  • Soundtrack
  • Humor is used in timely ways.
  •  The overall premise that underpins the movie.
  • Bale's performance.

Things that hurt the film

• Gorr and Valkyrie (as wasted/underused opportunities),
  • The movie is more concerned with a lighter tone than the actual themes. 
  • Pacing - for a 2hr movie it felt a bit long.

Personal gripe

• Pick a leitmotif and stick with it. 
  • I don't need Thor to be a lighter take on "Party Thor" . 

This wants to be Ragnarok, but doesn't have the right balance for the story it's tryin to tell. I do think it's worth your money, but I'm not over the moon for it. Bale brings its, when he's on screen,  but his character becomes a way to move the story than impacting it. Out of 10 (with a 5 being "middle of the road"), i'd give it a 7. 

Funny it being 2 hours is prob one of the shorter marvel movies 

Ppl really still debating and being in denial about Sam being Captain America. Like did they not see Endgame and the entire whole show about Falcon becoming Cap? Chris Evans literally had to say it on Twitter a few hours ago to make ppl accept iy

I know WHY they refuse to accept it  tho but it still doesn't change reality 😂

Edited by HD-Man
29 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Ppl really still debating and being in denial about Sam being Captain America. Like did they not see Endgame and the entire whole show about Falcon becoming Cap? Chris Evans literally had to say it on Twitter a few hours ago to make ppl accept iy

I saw that shit. Broflakes need to chill. 

11 hours ago, HD-Man said:

It was this way for the comics too. If not worse. It’s gross.

While Rick Remender was writing Sam Wilson as Cap America Marvel made him push his entire run he had planned up and give Rogers the mantle back sooner because Marvel was worried about his safety. 

Marvel offices, marvel’s social medias and Rick Remender himself were constantly getting various and extremely violent threats over Sam Wilson being Cap. 

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

This article is click bait af since all of them are licensed property adaptations and not actual marvel owned characters.

IIRC, ROM and the Space Knights might be the only actual exceptions as they were main characters in the recent Cable comic. 

Edited by iStu X

I just saw Thor 4: Thor's whores.

Pros:

Christian Bale as Gorr. Unsettling, somewhat sympathetic. 

Visual Design eps that city, the black and white place 

Jane Fosters role and resolution of her conflict

Cons 

Valkyrie could have had some more screentime and I would have loved some romantic elements 

Gorrs origin could have been longer and more devastating with some other peeps on his planet. That character could have been shown in some happier situations before the dark stuff happened. 

Outside of the GNR tunes, the music was lacking. 

While I generally like MCU humor, I think sometimes it should be held back to let some sincere emotion through. Thor himself is getting a bit too goofy. If they do another one, I'd like it to be more serious like the first film.

I am generally a sentimental squigga, but the ending didn't move much me as much I'd hoped. Part was because certain old characters hadn't been seen a while (9 years) and other were only in this movie for a limited time. 

Overall: A decent film but not as good as Thor 3 and 1.

7.5/10

15 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

That character could have been shown in some happier situations before the dark stuff happened. 

That’s not how Gor works. 😂 It’s just depression full stop. While exploring a new place to live on his planet He sees his wife and kid starve to death and countless members of his people die. So what do the elders do? his elders are just line “bruh, just believe in the big G man and it’ll all work out” 

I just finished Moon Knight.

Cons:

Interesting premise, but it DRAGS much more than any MCU show I've ever watched (netflix and Disney Plus).

It was the first time I fell asleep and in 2 different episodes.

They take too long to setup stuff.

The actual Moon Knight is barely in the show.

There's barely  any action due to the blackout stuff.

Ethan Hawke as a cult leader sounds cool on paper, but in reality Harrow is one of the most boring antagonists in Marvel's celluloid history.

Layla is kinda bland too, and I didnt give a crap when she became whatever hero she became at the end.

The post credit scene should have been in the actual show itself.

Pros:

Oscar is a good actor and makes some of it watchable and the backstory in ep 5 relating to his childhood trauma is interesting.

Sorry, but I did not enjoy this at all.

5/10

Man, everything about Steve Orlando‘S writing and Eleonora Carlini’s art in the new Marauders run feels like such a huge step back. Marauders was such a great, deep and mature comic book with such a style to match those.

Now it just reads and looks like generic saturday morning cartoon dreck. 

Ms. Marvel finale

Spoiler

Bruno teases the possibility of Kamala being a mutant. I'm sure like the 5 Inhuman fans out there will not be pleased.

The after credit scene has Kamala's bangle act up and has her switch places with Carol. Brie Larson in the flesh. Seeing her freak out seeing Kamala room was funny

I like that Kamran is sticking being a good guy. Good thing that Kamala prevented from murdering people. It would be interesting if we get a follow up on him becoming a red dagger.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:59 PM, iStu X said:

Ms. marvel 

Reveal hidden contents

Kamala being retconned into a Mutant is the funniest shit ever. 😂

I know very little of her character outside of her being an Inhuman and having Reed Richards like powers along her ability to embiggen. That said, even I know your spoiler tag is absolutely hilarious. Side note: I actually finished season 1 of the show. I thought it was good. Granted my  knowledge of the character is limited but I enjoyed it far more than Obi Wan or Moon Knight.

Huh, here i was thinking that Exterminators cover was pretty ugly lol. Really reminds me of early 2000s PSM covers.

chun_li_psm_swimsuit_cover_by_illy_hokum

I got in trouble for bringing this exact issue to school when i was in Highschool lol. Was funny cuz i didn't even give a fuck about the Swimsuit shit, I was here for the Viewtiful Joe article lol.

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

I’m so excited for X-Terminators. The art is gorgeous and I love the roster

I don't think I have even read a synopis for X-Terminators and I like what I am seeing.

And speaking of female mutants, I really want Ultragirl to join Krakoa. The girl has multiple powers and is Kree royalty. That would strengthen mutants and Krakoa.

She was a Valley girl, everybody thought of her as an airhead, but she applied herself and now is a very competent hero.

tumblr_ondplrUjF11ru09bvo3_1280.jpg tumblr_ondplrUjF11ru09bvo4_1280.jpg

a3972378d6ff7bad821d63c6c85b187f26745e27

b43ce6db0234d141e1287b266e96c4ca92b3a9ac

c73455caf8ec9bff12640caf68c77d05a78b406d

tumblr_ovnv5dcDDY1ru09bvo1_1280.jpg

I also I am sure Firestar misses her

Spoiler

tumblr_ondplrUjF11ru09bvo5_1280.jpg

30ff8a32d8e696e341ecfe477f867dcaf393b65a

54bbfb90ead1f3b24450f3f82446b4d0a8c2f5b9

I also want Molly Hayes to finally go to Krakoa, seems that's what she wanted to do from the last issues of Runaways. I think she would be good friends with Honey Badger/Scout.

Edited by AriesWarlock

I just watched Eternals and I cannot overstate how garbage this movie was. 

Spoiler

There are a large number of characters, and the overwhelming majority of them are completely uninteresting. Almost all the protags have no personality outside of checking a diversity box and loving humanity or another character. The most interesting character is the big robot god who does nothing but deliver exposition. 

All of the semi-interesting subplots, the deviants evolving, Angelina Jolies psycho episodes, the mind control guy wanting to steer humanity, all go absolutely nowhere. 

The plot is somehow convoluted and yet laughably simplistic at the same time. You have the potentially interesting cosmic lore of the celestial and eternals only to boil it down to yet another “humanity so special they deserve to live” plot. Antagonists so bad at their jobs it almost takes me out of the movie. Everything about the whole celestial/universal life cycle works just seems like a convenient plot point that necessitates Earth’s destruction in of something intelligent. Without making this rant even long Arashem seems super incompetent lol. 

I love stories about gods among men and aliens being the potential inspiration or protectors of humanity. But this movie is buns. Best things to happen in this movie are the post credit scenes indicating we will see more Celestial action and possibly evil John Snow in the MCU

10 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I just watched Eternals and I cannot overstate how garbage this movie was. 

Hide contents

There are a large number of characters, and the overwhelming majority of them are completely uninteresting. Almost all the protags have no personality outside of checking a diversity box and loving humanity or another character. The most interesting character is the big robot god who does nothing but deliver exposition. 

All of the semi-interesting subplots, the deviants evolving, Angelina Jolies psycho episodes, the mind control guy wanting to steer humanity, all go absolutely nowhere. 

The plot is somehow convoluted and yet laughably simplistic at the same time. You have the potentially interesting cosmic lore of the celestial and eternals only to boil it down to yet another “humanity so special they deserve to live” plot. Antagonists so bad at their jobs it almost takes me out of the movie. Everything about the whole celestial/universal life cycle works just seems like a convenient plot point that necessitates Earth’s destruction in of something intelligent. Without making this rant even long Arashem seems super incompetent lol. 

I love stories about gods among men and aliens being the potential inspiration or protectors of humanity. But this movie is buns. Best things to happen in this movie are the post credit scenes indicating we will see more Celestial action and possibly evil John Snow in the MCU

To be fair "humans are so special" is essentially marvel at its core. Theirs in meta commentary why other aliens dont get why they dont off humans because most problems are caused by them. But then it boils down to they are special save them

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

To be fair "humans are so special" is essentially marvel at its core. Theirs in meta commentary why other aliens dont get why they dont off humans because most problems are caused by them. But then it boils down to they are special save them

Spoiler

The thing is that usually when you have gods or powerful being debating on whether to save humanity or not, there is something that big happens that convinces the necessary parties they are worth saving. 

Eternals doesn’t really explore humanity as worth saving from the POV of the Eternals and just kinda time skips over most of that character development. Sersei loved them from the start and has a human boyfriend (whose absent for 90% of the movie), and the Indian guy was shown actually living a good life among people with his movies. Everyone else?

Druig: Is set up as wanting to steer humans into being better with his mind control, then present day he’s just fucking off managing a small village in the Amazon. 

Ajax: A couple throwaway lines about her living amongst humanity. Before her death she’s last seen living in the middle of bumfuck nowhere South Dakota. 

Phastos: Goes from hating humanity after Hiroshima to having off screen character development and starting a family. 

Speedster: Literally absent for 2/3rds of the movie outside of flashbacks, and then is found living underground in a ship waiting to leave.

Gilgamesh: living in the middle of nowhere taking care of Thena.

Thena: See Gilgamesh. Gets a couple lines about her being a warrior goddess in Greece/ancient history. 

Sprite: Was a story teller in the past. Cut to modern day and she isn’t said or shown to care much either way living with Serei until the last 30 minutes where she screams about being jealous of them and hating being like a kid. 

Icarus: Not shown to have any life at all outside of loving Sersei lol. 

Omitting Icarus as an antagonist, of the remaining 9 Eternals you can convince me maybe 3 of them had good connections with humanity at large. Hell of those 3 one of them still thinks nuking them is in the interest of the greater good. The rest are just going along with the plot as needed, as they are largely detached from the world or the character development necessary to make their interest in humanity convincing happens off screen.

If you’re going to make a movie about humanity being special and worth saving it might actually do you some good to explore that. Yet in Eternals outside of 2 side characters “humanity” is just a vague backdrop of characters and events the movie can’t be bothered to deep dive into. 

TLDR: If you’re going to do a boring and cliche plot at least put some effort into making it believable.

Edited by Vhozite

The biggest mistake the Eternals made was making it a movie and not a D+ series. 

The Eternals are one the most important groups in the entire marvel universe. They play a pivotal role in how the entire universe developed.

The downside to that is they were pigeon holed as soon as they debuted. You can only tell so many stories with them, otherwise it deviates from their purpose in the marvel universe. 

Also maxx isn’t wrong about the marvel universes opinion on humanity. Yeah, a lot of the universe doesn’t like them cause they’re shit stirrers but when stuff goes wrong anywhere in the universe humanity is usually the first to step up and ask how they can help.

It’s one of the biggest debates constantly had within the Shi’ar Empire. 

Edited by iStu X

I liked Eternals. A lot of his complaints are irrelevant to the movie as a whole. 

It would have been better as. D+ series but people whine about the D+ shows all the time so I honestly am not sure it would have helped in the long run as far as reception is concerned. Giving them episodes just gives them more time to make decisions ya'll won't like in the end anyway *shrug*

Edited by RSG3
7 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I liked Eternals. A lot of his complaints are irrelevant to the movie as a whole. 

It would have been better as. D+ series but people whine about the D+ shows all the time so I honestly am not sure it would have helped in the long run as far as reception is concerned. Giving them episodes just gives them more time to make decisions ya'll won't like in the end anyway *shrug*

Oh I absolutely loved Eternals. It’s not in my top 5 or anything but I thought it was very solid overall. 

one of the biggest reasons I see people dislike it is that it wasn’t a typical mcu movie. It was pretty much 100% world building above all else. Which imo is great. Inject that shit into my veins. 

Another big reason i see is despite how important The Eternals are, they don’t have the biggest publication history. Most of their stuff is 6-12 issue mini’s or cameos in other comics. Usually avengers. So There’s not a lot of material to look into. So a lot of casual fans didn’t even know who they were or their significance. 

Personally, my biggest issue with the movie is that it happened way too far into the MCU timeline. It should have been done much earlier. Probably sometime after the first avengers movie. 

I can agree with some criticism but a lot of it is just unfounded and silly. 

Edited by iStu X
On 7/16/2022 at 3:35 PM, AriesWarlock said:

I also want Molly Hayes to finally go to Krakoa, seems that's what she wanted to do from the last issues of Runaways. I think she would be good friends with Honey Badger/Scout.

I don't. We need more mutant characters that have no association with the X-Men

20 hours ago, iStu X said:

The biggest mistake the Eternals made was making it a movie and not a D+ series. 

The Eternals are one the most important groups in the entire marvel universe. They play a pivotal role in how the entire universe developed.

The downside to that is they were pigeon holed as soon as they debuted. You can only tell so many stories with them, otherwise it deviates from their purpose in the marvel universe. 

Agree with all of this. 

My biggest issue with the movie was that it was a Marvel movie trying not to be one until it had to be.